PDA

View Full Version : Best option for TiAg paint

BimmerWill
05-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Well I've been debating on doing a full correction on my car. From the research that I've done this isn't really a cheap thing to do as a basic orbital pads and compound/polish is going to run around at least $200 for a quality setup.

I've clayed the car before and liked the results but not really sure if its worth the money and effort. From what I've gathered with my particular color silver hides blemishes pretty close to as well as white but at the same time it takes a considerable amount of work to get it looking good enough to stand out from just a basic clay polish and sealant/wax.

At this point im thinking with my situation I will just clay it and do what I can to get the major imperfections out of the paint but not really sure what real good I can do without an orbital.

That being said im thinking about going with some wolfgang sealant and then follow up with a decent wax (currently have meguiars ultimate pastewax) and see where that gets me. I was curious if there is really anything else that I can do to improve the look of the paint without spending a lot of money on correction materials. Perhaps later down the road I will get into it but not right now.

If anyone could make some suggestions as to what would be a good plan of action in regards to claying perhaps a hand compound/polish followed up by a sealant and wax I would appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post.

Here's a pic of where its currently at.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Newjack
05-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Well I've been debating on doing a full correction on my car. From the research that I've done this isn't really a cheap thing to do as a basic orbital pads and compound/polish is going to run around at least $200 for a quality setup.

I've clayed the car before and liked the results but not really sure if its worth the money and effort. From what I've gathered with my particular color silver hides blemishes pretty close to as well as white but at the same time it takes a considerable amount of work to get it looking good enough to stand out from just a basic clay polish and sealant/wax.

At this point im thinking with my situation I will just clay it and do what I can to get the major imperfections out of the paint but not really sure what real good I can do without an orbital.

That being said im thinking about going with some wolfgang sealant and then follow up with a decent wax (currently have meguiars ultimate pastewax) and see where that gets me. I was curious if there is really anything else that I can do to improve the look of the paint without spending a lot of money on correction materials. Perhaps later down the road I will get into it but not right now.

If anyone could make some suggestions as to what would be a good plan of action in regards to claying perhaps a hand compound/polish followed up by a sealant and wax I would appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post.

Here's a pic of where its currently at.

Step 1: Buy a black car.
Step 2: Cry.

lol in all seriousness, you can make your car look nice by buffing with hand. But buying a porter cable will make things so much easier and quicker. Just know that if you do this by hand you will need to have a LOT of patience and dedication to finish what you started.

Meguiars M105 and M205 work really well along with Chemical guys Jetseal 109.

M0nk3y really knows his stuff when it comes to detailing cars (He helped me pick out my stuff to detail my car).

alexandre
05-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I use the M105/M205/JetSeal 109 trio as well on my imola car with excellent results.

ryankokesh
05-24-2013, 04:58 AM
Yeah, having had TiAg before, you are darn lucky. It hides stuff very well. That said, a nice polishing will do wonders for it. Claying it will get it smooth and take out all the impurities, but it won't do anything at all to take out swirls. As Rob already mentioned M105 and 205 work quite well... they're what I used on it also. Really any wax will make it pop after a polishing, and then you can throw a sealant over that for good measure.

If you don't want to dive in to the deep end right away, it is possible (I think) to polish without an orbital. Pretty sure you can just get a pad and do it by hand if you get the right polish. May want to research that more though. I think if it is possible, it's a ton of work.

Enemy
05-24-2013, 06:00 AM
I have a Porter Cable and Menzerna Power Gloss, Menzerna Final Finish, and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. My car is also TiAG. I'm looking to try this setup soon. Will post results.

BimmerWill
05-24-2013, 07:26 AM
I may just save up this summer and get an orbital kit. I thought about borrowing a buddys and just buying my own pads then getting the orbital later on after I try my hand at it and see if its worth it to me or not lol.

It's my understanding that sealant goes on before wax as it needs to bind with the paint is this correct or am I missing something?

ryankokesh
05-24-2013, 07:47 AM
You are correct... I is dum.

cakM3
05-24-2013, 06:10 PM
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ScreenShot2011-12-28at73305PM-1.png

To get this shine from my TiAg I use the following...
- A 3" Random Orbital buffer (Griot's)
- Mother's or Griots clay bar kit
- Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound 32 oz
- Meguiar's DA Microfiber Compound D300 16 oz
- Meguiar's DA Microfiber Finishing Wax D301 16 oz
- Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax (for my Imola ZHP but I also use this on my ///M)
- RejeX Paint Sealant 16 oz.

As a result, Prowlerflyer "Steve" has appropriately named my ///M "Liquid Mercury" :) :thumbsup

You can get TiAg to pop out and there are several people here who have seen my car in person to attest to this :)

BimmerWill
05-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Thank you for the tips guys I will look into these products and give them a try when I get a chance.

M0nk3y
05-25-2013, 12:19 AM
I have a Porter Cable and Menzerna Power Gloss, Menzerna Final Finish, and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. My car is also TiAG. I'm looking to try this setup soon. Will post results.

IMO PG is too aggressive to go with IMO.

I forget the code for FF, but it may be a task removing all of the holograms created by PG, in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BimmerWill
06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Okay so looking into getting the griots 6" random orbital and Meguiar's products for claying, cutting, and polishing. Then follow up with a sealant. Should I go with Wolfgangs or another prone of sealant and finally follow up with a wax. Right now I have Meguiar's ultimate paste wax or should I invest in something else after all that work?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ELCID86
06-25-2013, 10:43 AM
I went with Griot's 11075 one-step. Amazon has it (use affiliate link) based on reviews here and other places.

BimmerWill
06-25-2013, 11:06 AM
I was thinking about using griots as they have it locally in one of the auto parts store for same price as amazon.

Any other brands I should be more inclined to get? The $15 price tag on the Griot's sounds pretty good though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2