PDA

View Full Version : Hearing a whir from the engine when I rev

Rovert
05-11-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm guessing it's a pulley?

I can't remember when any of that stuff was replaced. Do I just need to refresh it for preventative maintenance? Idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and main belt? I don't think the A/C one has ever been changed too so I'll just swap that if I need. I rarely use A/C so will I need to replace that tensioner pulley too?

If I do need all these items, where is the best place I can get quality items for decent prices?

Are there performance versions that help or are they hardly worth it?

BCS_ZHP
05-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Trevor,
Crank the car, then shut down and spray silicone into one pulley, re tank and see if noise goes away. Repeat process until you find it. Normally only one squeaky wheel cause all your noise/problem.
Bruce

Rovert
05-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Where do you spray this said silicone into or on top of or behind?? And what is silicone spray? Like WD40 or something?

BCS_ZHP
05-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Use silicone spray, WD40 is too caustic and just need to get it lubed.

Dave_B
05-12-2013, 06:01 AM
As for belts, look for horizontal cracks across the ribs. That's usually a sign it's time.

Either perform as Bruce said, or if you notice the belt needs replacing anyway, pull the belt and spin tensioner pulleys by hand. You'll know which one is bad. :)

johnrando
05-13-2013, 07:16 AM
I'm guessing it's a pulley?

I can't remember when any of that stuff was replaced. Do I just need to refresh it for preventative maintenance? Idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and main belt? I don't think the A/C one has ever been changed too so I'll just swap that if I need. I rarely use A/C so will I need to replace that tensioner pulley too?

If I do need all these items, where is the best place I can get quality items for decent prices?

Are there performance versions that help or are they hardly worth it?

If you are replacing anyway you could go with them, but I barely noticed the difference. Maybe it pulled slightly better midrange but that's it at best in my experience.

Rovert
05-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Anyone do this stuff recently and know where the best place to purchase everything at?

Rovert
05-15-2013, 06:44 PM
My time is so limited now. I got sent on an un planned trip to Detroit and Cincinnati and not back until Sunday afternoon. Then I have to drive to San Fran and Vegas the next day. Can someone help me find the part numbers that I need to replace? I don't have time to diagnose and figure out what needs replacing so I might as well just do them as preventative maintaince. If anyone can help that would be great! Alexandre said it should cost no more than $70?