PDA

View Full Version : 2003 BMW ZHP Salvage Title

Avetiso
05-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Listing my car. I know fanatics usually wouldn't look at salvage, and so I don't expect to sell it to anywhere here. I will do it out of courtesy, however. Just in case.

Price will change, I'm just seeing if there is any interest at this price point locally. Fanatics would never pay this for a salvage car, as far as I can tell.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3890197031.html

Build thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8519-Bringing-it-Back-to-Life&highlight=bringing+back

$10.5k obo.

E_Rak
05-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Snip

See my post belowww

LivesNearCostco
05-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I bought my ZHP salvage from a Russian guy in Sacramento, who did a nice job fixing it up. Of course, that was before I became a fanatic. I would do it again. To me the only downside of a properly repaired salvage title is it makes it harder to resell it later. Since I have no plans to sell mine for at least the next 5 years, that was/is not an issue for me.

Avetiso
05-03-2013, 09:49 PM
E_Rak, this is my car. As for the price, I know that an enthusiast wouldn't pay what I am asking for it. However, having worked at a salvage car dealership for 7 months, I've sold a lot of salvage cars. Even though a fanatic wouldn't buy at this price range, a non enthusiast would.

EDIT: Again, price will come down. It's listed high while I'm in school. Getting it out there locally. Once it comes time to move it, I will change the price.

Avetiso
05-03-2013, 09:52 PM
I bought my ZHP salvage from a Russian guy in Sacramento, who did a nice job fixing it up. Of course, that was before I became a fanatic. I would do it again. To me the only downside of a properly repaired salvage title is it makes it harder to resell it later. Since I have no plans to sell mine for at least the next 5 years, that was/is not an issue for me.
They are not bad cars. I really wish I could figure out where all this stigma came from; the majority of anti-salvage sentiment is hyped up by dealers, body shops, and fanatics that have no experience with them.

I do agree that it is harder to resell, but there is always that small group of people that wouldn't mind. An upside is that you get into a nicer car for less money, so long as you don't care that it is salvage.

E_Rak
05-03-2013, 10:14 PM
E_Rak, this is my car. As for the price, I know that an enthusiast wouldn't pay what I am asking for it. However, having worked at a salvage car dealership for 7 months, I've sold a lot of salvage cars. Even though a fanatic wouldn't buy at this price range, a non enthusiast would.

EDIT: Again, price will come down. It's listed high while I'm in school. Getting it out there locally. Once it comes time to move it, I will change the price.

OH apologies I didn't even realize! TBH it looks well done and I'm sure the owner DOES know what he is talking about haha. Anyway, glws.

LivesNearCostco
05-03-2013, 10:34 PM
I would guess some the stigma comes from 4 places

Those who tend to resell their cars within 5 years have to worry about resale value. Concern about resale value becomes a self-reinforcing concern
Fear of frame damage you can't see. If you are not an expert, how can you tell? (In your case you have before and after pictures.)
Hurricanes Katrina, Irene, Rita, Sandy, and whatever other storm caused significant flooding. Flooding creates salvage title cars which have a reputation of developing electrical problems later.
Misunderstanding of what salvage means (and it may have different meanings in different states). Many probably don't realize a used BMW can be hit, suffer no frame or engine damage, and end up salvaged because the insurance company doesn't want to pay for proper repairs.

Our minivan was hit when it was 2 years old and the insurance company paid a lot to fix it up nicely. Runs perfectly fine and only a body shop person or or enthusiast can tell it was in an accident. But if it were in the same type of accident today they'd probably total it. (Not sure if there is such as thing as a minivan enthusiast...)

Avetiso
05-04-2013, 05:41 PM
My advertisement isn't going up on Craigslist. What do I do?

E_Rak
05-04-2013, 05:50 PM
What do you mean by it's not going up?

Avetiso
05-04-2013, 05:52 PM
What do you mean by it's not going up?

I have a link for it, but I can't find it via search. Meaning nobody else can find it.

E_Rak
05-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah, confirmed you don't come up in the search results. You could try deleting the old ad altogether and re-posting...

MooseX
05-05-2013, 11:57 AM
ton of these salvage ZHP's in the sacramento area. In the short 6 months i've been looking I've seen at least 10 salvaged ZHP's in Sac'. Most are bought at auction in Rancho Cordova (recycling row). A lot of them are bought by 'RUSSIANS'...and most of these guys are born crooks transplanted to the US. Not all are shady...but most of them are somewhat sketchy as far as I've seen.. The Russians have taken over the salvage auctions. Literally...when I see a used/salvaged BMW in that area you can bet it's being sold by a Russian dude.

As far as stigma..it didn't use to be so bad to own one. After a few lawsuits, new CA lemon laws and having someone like 'ASK CURTIS' on KCRA news go after these marginal dealers..publicly....it's a risk to buy any salvage since most folks are well aware of the stain a salvage title gives a vehicle

Typically I've seen salvage ZHP's go for about half of a non salvage car in the same condition

Pip
05-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Let's be wary of posting about Russians as a group of people that are crooks. I know the Rancho Cordova salvage area of town well because I lived there for 2 years. You're correct that there is a large Russian population and they are heavily focused on the salvage market. Any race is willing to take advantage of others given the opportunity and I don't think it is particularly just Russians in the area - maybe more concentrated in that row. Aviesto (Dario) is a good dude who I have met and seen his car in person. The work done seems to be done well and not much damage for a salvage car in my mind. Dario is also Russian so just be mindful - I know it wasn't a targeted post.

danewilson77
05-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Let's be wary of posting about Russians as a group of people that are crooks. I know the Rancho Cordova salvage area of town well because I lived there for 2 years. You're correct that there is a large Russian population and they are heavily focused on the salvage market. Any race is willing to take advantage of others given the opportunity and I don't think it is particularly just Russians in the area - maybe more concentrated in that row. Aviesto (Dario) is a good dude who I have met and seen his car in person. The work done seems to be done well and not much damage for a salvage car in my mind. Dario is also Russian so just be mindful - I know it wasn't a targeted post.

^Self regulation and moderation in progress. Nothing to see here.

I'm moving on.....but I agree.

MooseX
05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
yeah like I said not all crooks.

AND.. Alot of these 'salvage' cars should never have been totaled. Amazing how easy it is to 'total' any BMW.

I've seen my share of quality salvage cars. Just sayin...

I've been around that RC' scene since 1990. I know ALL ABOUT what's going on. The russians only recently 'took over'. I catch them out in the viewing lot yanking parts off cars that are about to roll over the auction block...trying to bring the prices down

Avetiso
05-05-2013, 12:44 PM

danewilson77
05-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Alright. Settle down. He's used a poor choice of words, and I definitely don't think he's a racist.

Let's talk about the car, and forget the people.

Avetiso
05-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Oh, did not see the replies while I was posting my reply.

EDIT: Whatever. No grudges here, just got kinda mad when someone paints with such a broad stroke that most of us are "born crooks."

All good.

danewilson77
05-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh, did not see the replies while I was posting my reply.

Edit your comment as you see fit.

BavarianZHP
05-05-2013, 01:46 PM
GLWS man! I remember you joining around the same time I did. Hopefully you'll stay on the boards and find another ZHP down the road.

Avetiso
05-05-2013, 02:00 PM
GLWS man! I remember you joining around the same time I did. Hopefully you'll stay on the boards and find another ZHP down the road.
That's the plan! Thanks for the wishes. If only I could get Craigslist to post my damn ad. It keeps getting filtered out. :(

BavarianZHP
05-05-2013, 02:02 PM
keep in mind after you post on craigslist you have to wait for a bit (hrs or maybe even 24 hrs?) until it'll start showing up on the search results. I know mine never appear right away - but they eventually always do.

Avetiso
05-05-2013, 02:53 PM
keep in mind after you post on craigslist you have to wait for a bit (hrs or maybe even 24 hrs?) until it'll start showing up on the search results. I know mine never appear right away - but they eventually always do.

My first ad went up two nights ago. Nothing. Usually mine appear quickly though. Like 15 minutes. Every single ad I've posted since then got ghosted.

MiniD
05-05-2013, 02:57 PM
That happened to me when I was selling my Cosmos M3. I made a new e-mail and it worked fine after that.

Avetiso
05-05-2013, 03:19 PM
That happened to me when I was selling my Cosmos M3. I made a new e-mail and it worked fine after that.
I did that a few hours ago. Still nothing. Apparently this is a huge issue for some people. If you Google it you get a ton of results related to it. I asked a favor of Sean to post an ad for me simply linking to my ghosted ad. If that doesn't work, I will be very frustrated.

E_Rak
05-05-2013, 03:48 PM
I would be willing to host your ad on my account, PM if you're interested.

Avetiso
05-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I would be willing to host your ad on my account, PM if you're interested.

Thank you for the offer. I'll take you up on that if necessary.

Tried reposting an old ad I used for college books. Just changed the info to represent my car. I heard that works sometimes.

Avetiso
05-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Well, I was unable to get it on CL myself. Big thank you to Sean for creating an ad that links to my ghosted advertisement. It's now up there, 2 days after initially trying. :facepalm

Avetiso
05-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Posted on E46F. COVER ME! :rofl

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15407900#post15407900

fredo
05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Posted on E46F. COVER ME! :rofl

LOL. If your car was local to me, I would stop by to check it out. GLWS !

E_Rak
05-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Good luck don't take the comments too harshly over there!

Avetiso
05-08-2013, 02:06 PM
I won't. There sure are a lot of idiots there, but it's still good exposure.

Avetiso
05-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Down to 11k.

Avetiso
05-20-2013, 06:21 PM
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8519-Bringing-it-Back-to-Life&highlight=bringing+back

Linking the ad to the rebuild thread in case someone didn't know.

Avetiso
06-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Bump. Down to 10.8k obo, and new link in initial post.

Avetiso
07-03-2013, 01:07 PM
$10.7k OBO. Brand new brake pads all around. Looking at indys to get my DME flashed as well. Almost 66k miles.

Vas
07-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Good luck man. Somebody will buy it eventually.

Avetiso
07-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Good luck man. Somebody will buy it eventually.

Thanks buddy.

Had a serious guy flake recently. I'm not worried; selling a salvage car takes a while. My last car took even longer.

RWD Twisted
07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks buddy.

Had a serious guy flake recently. I'm not worried; selling a salvage car takes a while. My last car took even longer.

And that would be me. Really nice car though. I almost went through with it. Good luck with the sale. Someone's gonna get a great deal on a ZHP for $10k and change.

Avetiso
07-07-2013, 02:08 PM
And that would be me. Really nice car though. I almost went through with it. Good luck with the sale. Someone's gonna get a great deal on a ZHP for $10k and change.
Thanks for the compliments! Can't wait to see your car.

Avetiso
07-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Down to 10.5k on the ad. So many flakers, it's ridiculous.

Avetiso
07-28-2013, 02:44 PM
SOLD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

trancenation
07-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Congrats! Hope the car went to a good owner!

cakM3
07-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Congrats! Hope the car went to a good owner!

+1

'bout time that guy pony'd up and bought your car Dario!

Vas
07-28-2013, 02:53 PM
What's next ?

Avetiso
07-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys. He's not a fanatic by a long shot, but seems like a nice guy. Young gun like myself.

Next car is a zhp, hopefully. Gonna try to get a coupe.

GMATT
07-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys. He's not a fanatic by a long shot, but seems like a nice guy. Young gun like myself.

Next car is a zhp, hopefully. Gonna try to get a coupe.

Just happen to have one for sale in great condition!

Gary

Sent from my fancy telephone!

Avetiso
07-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Just happen to have one for sale in great condition!

Gary

Sent from my fancy telephone!

I appreciate the offer, Gary! Out of my price range, but I wish you luck selling it!