PDA

View Full Version : OE M3 Morrors?

das boots
04-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Saw this on our CL. Wondering if how could I tell from the photos or if I was to view them that they are OE or even from a E46? And if this is a good price? And what else should I see that all parts are in place? I know, his grammar needs a little work.....

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/3757739103.html

Edit: Gave the seller a call. He stated that the set came from an E46 that they salvaged from......he has the plug connectors for a regular E46 and connectors for an M3.

sillieidiot
04-23-2013, 02:26 PM
they look like m5 reps to me

webster
04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
they look like m5 reps to me

+1; the glass shape is off.

Pip
04-23-2013, 05:12 PM
M5 rep.

See how round an e46 m3 is on the upper inside edge? M5 has more of an angle.

330i ZHP
04-23-2013, 05:34 PM
plus - both sets of mine have 4 of the "stems" inside - these only have three (meaning the mounting aligning points)

das boots
04-23-2013, 06:11 PM
After comparing the inside edge of the casing with the rounded for the M3 and almost 90 deg, angle of the reps, you guys are correct that they have to be M5 reps. Still undecided if I should pursue this at the asking price???? Or just let it go???? But as for a M5 reps, are they easier to install as in plug-n-play than for a M3 mirrors?

330i ZHP
04-23-2013, 06:14 PM
unless you are prepared to do some interesting modifications - you will not have remote movement of the mirrors or heat

You can modify the internals and swap your ribbon motors and wiring into the m3 oem/m5 reps

das boots
04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Sounds like more of a PIA. I pass.....Thanks.

cakM3
04-24-2013, 04:55 AM
unless you are prepared to do some interesting modifications - you will not have remote movement of the mirrors or heat

You can modify the internals and swap your ribbon motors and wiring into the m3 oem/m5 reps

truth, but the end results will be well worth it in my opinion. The modification to the mirror baseplates are not that hard to do using Rogue Engineering's DIY. The hardest part was transferring the original mirror motors over but after looking at Au2bahn's project thread, that too wasn't too difficult to do. It just takes time and (speaking for myself) I'm glad I did this retrofit :thumbsup I now have full movement of my mirrors and heat. :)

Here's the link to the DIY: http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/E46M3MIR.html (http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/E46M3MIR.html)

Jon's project thread on page 11, post #107: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3096-ZHP-ESS-TS2-Project-(PICS)/page11 (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3096-ZHP-ESS-TS2-Project-(PICS)/page11)

Marcus-SanDiego
04-24-2013, 06:06 AM
We call the M5 reps Dumbo ears. I don't like the way they look either. Good pass, even of it was not for the reason I stated.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

das boots
04-24-2013, 06:09 AM
:fistpump

330i ZHP
04-24-2013, 06:57 AM
You can go one step further like I have and make them folding with the euro motors and switch

cakM3
04-24-2013, 07:06 AM
You can go one step further like I have and make them folding with the euro motors and switch

Stuart, do you have the part numbers for the euro motors?

Hermes
04-24-2013, 07:09 AM
guys, do you think these might be real and not reps? If they're real E39 mirrors than I could put them on the E38...

cakM3
04-24-2013, 07:11 AM
guys, do you think these might be real and not reps? If they're real E39 mirrors than I could put them on the E38...

Honestly JP, they look like rep mirrors to me....

das boots
04-24-2013, 07:39 AM
JP...if you want them...give him a call. He is in El Cajon area. You can pick them up on your way home?????

Hermes
04-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Honestly JP, they look like rep mirrors to me....

yeah, I wouldn't necessarily want those. The E38 already has autofold mirrors so the only upgrade I would consider would be M5 autofold mirrors

JP...if you want them...give him a call. He is in El Cajon area. You can pick them up on your way home?????

yeah, I might call him and take a look. I'll let you know

330i ZHP
04-26-2013, 10:09 PM
There isn't a separate part number - you have to buy mirror assemblies

You can also buy US spec M5 mirrors and take the motors - which is what I used on the wagon

I bought a set of mirrors off a wrecked M5 - guy didn't know what worth, Paid $200 for set (LOL) then used the internals, replaced those internals with the parts from my wagon - sold mirrors as power but non folding to a guy with a regular 5 series for $500 - an offer made to me, not me looking to take advantage of anyone

SCORE

terraphantm
04-27-2013, 10:13 PM
You can buy a new pair of M5 mirrors for like $350 (I actually paid $250 :D)

though it might be easier to pay retail for M3 motors, swap the motors, and then sell them as new non-powered motors. Someone will buy 'em for like $400

das boots
04-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Dumb question....are you saying even with a new set of OE M5 mirrors, why are the motors still need to be swapped with E46 motors or are they have to be M3 specific motors?

330i ZHP
04-28-2013, 04:08 PM
I think there is confusion going on:

I am talking about the motors in the base/housing of the mirrors - not the lens motor. US Spec M3 mirrors were never (that I know of) offered with those individual motors (for folding).

NOW

As far as removing the ribbon cable lens motors - you remove your ribbon cable lens motor assembly and swap that assembly into the standard M3 mirrors (with bases modified for the sedan).

I have done the swap twice now - once with ribbon and once with 13 wire mirrors

das boots
04-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Let me try to comprehend on what is required......If I do not intend to have the side mirrors folded, then I do not need the motors for the base/housing motors since that would require further wiring or modifications.

But if I just intend to have the mirror lenses move, then the mirror motors stays the same?

And evidently, there are two types of wirings? One is 13 wire, and the other is the standard wire ribbon? The standard wire ribbon is for the M3 without the folding. While the 13 wire is for the folding mirrors????

If any of the group would like to do further M3 or M5 reps modifications, just inquiring if would you be available for being the tech rep?

330i ZHP
04-28-2013, 05:10 PM
If you have ribbon and do not want folding - then you simply (LOL) have to swap your motor/ribbon assembly (DO NOT RIP ANY PORTION OF THE RIBBONS)

if sedan modify the bases

and to properly mount the motor to the internals of the M3 mirror and have the lens at the proper depth - I removed most of the M3 stuff inside and built a 10mm (ISH) platform to the M3 "paddle" (part of the mirror mount) and then mounted the ribbon motor to the raised platform

The M3 lens attaches directly to the pins on the motor - same mounting system

terraphantm
04-29-2013, 05:09 AM
Dumb question....are you saying even with a new set of OE M5 mirrors, why are the motors still need to be swapped with E46 motors or are they have to be M3 specific motors?

The motors are the same. M5s came standard with motors, M3s didn't. M5 mirrors sell for the same price as non-motor M3 motors

If you dont already have m3 mirrors, just buy them new with the motors. The discussion of swapping motors is mostly for those who already have M motors and want to make them folding without getting new ones painted

Stu - how'd you get the folding motors to work with ribbon cars?