PDA

View Full Version : New spark plugs - finally

jsfbmw
04-19-2013, 07:30 AM
After 118k miles and 7 years on the original spark plugs, I finally had them changed. The car had started fine, idled fine, and ran smoothly. It just seemed it was time. The car now seems to have better throttle tip-in and slightly smoother operation. I can't tell about gas mileage since it is also warming up around here, but it may be better. These are a few pics of the old ones.

fredo
04-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Bosch FTW !

BRGcoopahS
04-22-2013, 08:11 PM
I recently changed my stock plugs at 69k and felt a nice difference. 118k is nuts!

JupiterBMW
04-23-2013, 03:48 AM
Bosch Platinum +4s are OEM? Hmm, I have never heard of anyone liking these plugs... Do people prefer to replace with NGK or are the NGK replacements the same style plug?

jsfbmw
04-23-2013, 04:08 AM
I recently changed my stock plugs at 69k and felt a nice difference. 118k is nuts!

Yeah, a bit crazy. But the car ran beautifully. With the new plugs, more beautifully. I do follow "old-school maintenance" on all fluid changes.

Dave_B
04-23-2013, 06:53 AM
This is on my short list to do. Having minimal maintenance history from the PO and around 143k on the car... it's about that time huh?

danewilson77
04-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Yes. About that time Sir.

328ioc
04-24-2013, 04:26 AM
I've got some BKR6EQUP's sitting in my garage. Will probably install this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Raptorman5174
04-25-2013, 04:04 PM
has any one ever run the E3 diamond fire plugs on these cars? They are claimed to increase horsepower and decrease emissions.

danewilson77
04-25-2013, 06:12 PM
has any one ever run the E3 diamond fire plugs on the on these cars? They are claimed to increase horsepower and decrease emissions.

:scratchinghead

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

Dave1027
04-28-2013, 06:45 AM
I installed NGK BKR6EIX Iridium IX plugs yesterday. The part of the procedure I was most worried about was pulling up on the coils with those plastic hinges. I thought for sure one of them would snap.

Sure glad I did this. The existing plugs looked like they had not been changed in a long time if ever. The engine seems smoother, idle to high rev.

danewilson77
04-28-2013, 08:22 AM
I installed NGK BKR6EIX Iridium IX plugs yesterday. The part of the procedure I was most worried about was pulling up on the coils with those plastic hinges. I thought for sure one of them would snap.

Sure glad I did this. The existing plugs looked like they had not been changed in a long time if ever. The engine seems smoother, idle to high rev.

Did the old plugs say BMW on them?

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

Dave1027
04-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Did the old plugs say BMW on them?
Yes, they do say BMW on one side and Bosch on the other. Does that mean they are originals?

Also, I wanted to add that when I bought these NGK Iridiums at AutoZone for $6 a piece the cashier gave me this odd look and confirmed, "You really want these?" I'm like yeah. She seemed to think I would not want to pay so much for plugs. She' like "They're six bucks a piece". I'm like, I'll take em. I guess she does not get too many BMWs. $6 a plug is not expensive.

danewilson77
04-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Most likely they were.

Tnhl1989
04-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Yeah I get the same reaction. :p

Newjack
04-29-2013, 09:16 AM
has any one ever run the E3 diamond fire plugs on these cars? They are claimed to increase horsepower and decrease emissions.

Spark plugs are spark plugs man. As long as there is sufficient and even spark within the combustion chamber and all of the fuel is being burned then you are getting the most out of your fuel/air mixture. The quad tipped spark plugs are already burning all of the fuel inside the cylinder with a nice even spark distribution. You might notice a slightly smoother ride after doing spark plugs, but unless you're running bad plugs you wont notice a difference in power. And if your plugs were bad then your motor would be knocking and you would have an SES light.

It would be like clipping your toe nails to reduce drag while running so that you can run faster.

AFE claims 11 ft. torque and 10 horsepower just by installing their intake on the E46. There is no way in hell that is possible. Diamond plugs are another scam just like nitrogen filled tires.

blindside
05-16-2013, 10:46 PM
I just swapped spark plugs the tiag I just got (@ 124k ) for the NGK's. I had a slight sputter of the engine during idle, especially when it was a cold start, that is now gone. The car is more responsive and pulls harder at 6k rpm and up. I'm really satisfied with the NGK's but I hear the have a short life span?

The plugs I pulled weren't original, another set of NGk's but they looked pretty bad, kinda fried almost. I'll update a pic

Dave1027
05-18-2013, 09:10 AM
I just swapped spark plugs the tiag I just got (@ 124k ) for the NGK's. I had a slight sputter of the engine during idle, especially when it was a cold start, that is now gone. The car is more responsive and pulls harder at 6k rpm and up.
My engine is definitely smoother running since installing new plugs. It really purrs at idle, even when cold.

I'm really satisfied with the NGK's but I hear the have a short life span?
That's not been my experience. I've been using NGK plugs forever and never had any life span issues or any other for that matter. I got the iridiums which last even longer. They are supposed to last at least 100k miles.

echo46
05-18-2013, 02:21 PM
I too have had great luck with the life of NGKs. Great plugs.

NorCalZman
05-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Regular old NGK is the type of plugs that the 300ZX Turbo community swears by. And they were fond of beating the crap out of their cars by turning up boost, etc etc. they took whatever they and I Threw at my turbo engine without complaint. They must be ok. I am not sure what's in the ZHP stock though.

Hermes
05-18-2013, 10:13 PM
A ZHP would have come stock either with Bosch or NGK, just depends on who put the motor together at the factory