PDA

View Full Version : Terrible day....

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Just got in a wreck....looks like gonna need a new hood and kidney grills and possibly new bumper.....

Worse then it looks....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jayjay_dee
04-15-2013, 10:32 AM
OUCH!!! what happened?

BavarianZHP
04-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Damn... Best of luck with everything. I'm glad that everyone is physically ok (assuming). I've never been the driver involved in a car accident, but from the passenger seat I get the feeling that most of the turmoil comes from the emotional distress. How did it happen may I ask?

niart906
04-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Ouch...

Why a new hood? It looks pretty much intact. Even that bumper may only need paint.

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Was merging onto a four lane. Driver in front of me stopped as I was turned around to look for traffic. Wham. Probably no more then 5 mph collision but my hood is bent in majorly in between the kidneys

Johnmadd
04-15-2013, 10:44 AM
:( sorry dude

Avetiso
04-15-2013, 10:50 AM
That hood is fixable. Only thing you'll probably have to replace is a kidney.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Not sure of it is easy to see or not but middle is creased in about an inch.

johnrando
04-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Oh no! Sorry to hear.

BavarianZHP
04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Was merging onto a four lane. Driver in front of me stopped as I was turned around to look for traffic. Wham. Probably no more then 5 mph collision but my hood is bent in majorly in between the kidneys

Ah, yeah... I was a passenger in a car that did exactly what you did. Our collision was fairly minor and it didn't even cause a dent. We were at fault and they filed a claim anyways (claiming neck pain or something), which raised the insurance rates for both parties!!!! So stupid, not even a scratch or dent on either car.... Lesson? Tell them you're part of a Mafia. lolol

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Haha she didn't act like anything hurt her. Was nice lady. She was an insurance woman too for some car insurance company.

Tnhl1989
04-15-2013, 11:11 AM
You can bend the dent in the hood with your hands. That's what I did with the old hood.

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Alright ill give that a shot. Just don't want to screw it up worse then it already is.

midlandtech
04-15-2013, 11:42 AM
damn man this sucks to hear. I hope its not as bad as you anticipate it being.

JupiterBMW
04-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Sorry to hear buddy. I know first hand how much that sucks. Good luck getting it all worked out.

Avetiso
04-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Alright ill give that a shot. Just don't want to screw it up worse then it already is.

If you are getting the hood repainted, any remnants of you bending it back will not be visible (if properly fixed).

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Initial shock and heartbreak over it really doesn't look too bad. Going to order new kidney grills and in the process of finding out how much its going to cost to fix. Really wish I would have had full coverage on the car.

kayger12
04-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry to see this. Glad you're ok and the damage isn't worse.

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Can no longer say I've never had an accident. Prob what bugs me the most lol.

Avetiso
04-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Haha she didn't act like anything hurt her. Was nice lady. She was an insurance woman too for some car insurance company.

By the way, when I was in my public speaking class, a cop had a very similar story (she wasn't a cop at the time). Small bump because she was rolling in neutral (girls that drive standard are hot but she was too old for me). The lady was super cool at first, said she was just fine, blah blah blah. She actually said she "worked in insurance", too. About a month later, now-cop-lady got served with papers, and the lady she hit won $150,000. After all the legal fees and costs, insurance-lady practically won nothing, but either way, pain in the ass. (the cop-lady had her insurance cover her side of legal costs, so she was good, but still a terrible ordeal). Keep your guard up, this will probably come back later.

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Holy shit...

Stu
04-15-2013, 12:46 PM
:( I'm sorry dude. Hey, at least you can still keep it and it's not totaled :) Used hood, umnitza bumper - you'll be back on the road in no-time.

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Bumper and hood I believe are repairable.

cakM3
04-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Will... looks to me that the hood and bumper are repairable... here's hoping they are and it won't cost way too much for you to get everything sorted out :thumbup

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Taking it to a recommended paint place tomorrow to see what he would charge

danewilson77
04-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Sucks. You shouldn't need a new hood bro.

Washburn
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
sucks but could have been much worse...like 50 mph instead of 5 mph.
And most of all you're safe and the other driver...
You'll be able to fix the hood and bumper - don't look too bad.

az3579
04-15-2013, 02:31 PM
This is exactly why I'm training myself to leave more following distance whenever possible. I don't want this to ever happen to me...

I highly, HIGHLY recommend you buy the Euro blind-spot mirrors. That will completely eliminate the need to look over your shoulder for your blind spot. It works, trust me!

:( I'm sorry dude. Hey, at least you can still keep it and it's not totaled :) Used hood, OEM bumper - you'll be back on the road in no-time.

Fixed. :p

Avetiso
04-15-2013, 02:43 PM
This is exactly why I'm training myself to leave more following distance whenever possible. I don't want this to ever happen to me...

I highly, HIGHLY recommend you buy the Euro blind-spot mirrors. That will completely eliminate the need to look over your shoulder for your blind spot. It works, trust me!

Fixed. :p
If he had full coverage, yeah, go OEM. But when you pick up the dime yourself, things change. Besides, I have an umnitza MtechII bumper, and it looks 100% identical to OEM, along with how it fits...

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
The bumper just has some minor scratches so im going to keep the m3 rep. Hopefully get everything fixed and ready to go by the mafia meet! She'll be looking better then she has in years!

Rovert
04-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Let's all pray for a speedy recovery and be grateful that things can always be worse. Our cars are worth a lot less than before so anything moderate could write off our vehicle. It looks like you will get to keep your baby and be driving her in 100 "percentageness" very soon!

As a learning experience, I see many people merge and I catch them staring out their side window rather than looking in the direction their vehicle is moving. It's only because they haven't been taught how to setup their mirror positions correctly due to old "driver's ed" teachings. Try this from now on and this should lessen that experience from ever happening along with so many other crashes happening: http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear%E2%80%90View-Mirrors-to-Eliminate-Blind-Spots

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Let's all pray for a speedy recovery and be grateful that things can always be worse. Our cars are worth a lot less than before so anything moderate could write off our vehicle. It looks like you will get to keep your baby and be driving her in 100 "percentageness" very soon!

As a learning experience, I see many people merge and I catch them staring out their side window rather than looking in the direction their vehicle is moving. It's only because they haven't been taught how to setup their mirror positions correctly due to old "driver's ed" teachings. Try this from now on and this should lessen that experience from ever happening along with so many other crashes happening: http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear%E2%80%90View-Mirrors-to-Eliminate-Blind-Spots

It was a yield lane at an intersection. I had my head turned to look st traffic coming from the left where as she was in front of me. I looked and had my foot off the gas with the clutched pushed in. I guess she just happened to stop just short instead of merging on out.

Rovert
04-15-2013, 03:58 PM
That sucks...my friend rear ended someone with his M3 when the person in front of him decided to do a full stop on a right turn with no traffic on the road. Caught him by surprise and nailed the car in front.

Johnmadd
04-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Initial shock and heartbreak over it really doesn't look too bad. Going to order new kidney grills and in the process of finding out how much its going to cost to fix. Really wish I would have had full coverage on the car.

Can no longer say I've never had an accident. Prob what bugs me the most lol.

Been there... I sympathize. I got a ticket and totaled a wide body 91 Celica (that I could repair at this point)... sometimes life just sucks.

Edit: I only had comprehensive at that poiny

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 05:43 PM
We didn't call the police as no one was hurt and both people agreed on who was at fault (me), only minor damage to her car. She filed a claim with my insurance. Guess we'll see what the damage is.

3ZHP
04-15-2013, 05:48 PM
That sucks, I learned my lesson years ago, when I ran into a stopped line of construction traffic on the thruway. And I was driving a Tow Truck, squished the three in front of me together; ended up towing the first car I hit back to the shop.

By the way, what is your collision deductible, and do you have rental car insurance? Those both come out of your pocket.

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Only had liability on the car so everything is out of pocket sadly...car is still drivable. I have a jeep that ill drive until it gets fixed.

3ZHP
04-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Only had liability on the car so everything is out of pocket sadly...car is still drivable. I have a jeep that ill drive until it gets fixed.

Double sucks

BimmerWill
04-15-2013, 06:26 PM
To top it all off my sister just lost her job she's had for 13 years managing a daycare...11 workers and 40 kids now have nowhere to go.

BimmerWill
04-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Taking the car in for an estimate on the paint work today. Not sure the guy does body work so dad and I will try and fix the bent hood ourselves.

Anyone want to throw out an estimate for bumper and hood respray with some blending on the fenders (id imagine)?

Ryans323i
04-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Sucks Will. I've done the exact same thing. Glad it wasn't a higher speed incident and the other party was nice about everything.

Bumper and hood respray is probably going to be $150-$250. Mainly because of the prep work. You're bumper needs all the paint that's chipping-off, off. If you can work with the painter, it could cost you even less. I'd also talk with the painter about fixing the kidney area. See what it will cost to have the repair shop do everything, then start figuring out what you might be able to do yourself.

Rovert
04-16-2013, 05:32 AM
I had someone with a CRV back into my car a few years ago which caused damage to just the hood because the spare tire carrier was nice and high. This bent the kidney area and cracked the kidney inserts. Because the hood was replaced the bumper and fenders had to be reprinted and blended to match the car. Total cost was around $2,000 "under the table". Adding tax would have been even more! But of course that was my car.

niart906
04-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Bumper and hood respray is probably going to be $150-$250. Mainly because of the prep work. You're bumper needs all the paint that's chipping-off, off. If you can work with the painter, it could cost you even less. I'd also talk with the painter about fixing the kidney area. See what it will cost to have the repair shop do everything, then start figuring out what you might be able to do yourself.

$150-$200 sounds a bit on the low side. Obviously, shop rates will vary, but unless you have an in with a friend at a shop, I don't see anyone paying that little for both a hood and a bumper respray. If it were that cheap, I would have had mine done a long time ago.

BimmerWill
04-16-2013, 05:49 AM
I have several friends who work in the business, hopefully I can find one that will cut me a decent deal. Going to several shops today to get quotes and go from there.

niart906
04-16-2013, 05:55 AM
I need to make better friends. My front end needs a respray pretty badly. :(

Ryans323i
04-16-2013, 06:05 AM
The $150-250 price was only for spraying paint. Not any repairs.

Will, I just spoke with my painter buddy. I've sent you a text about it, and I have more info if you're interested. Just call or PM me.

BimmerWill
04-16-2013, 10:16 AM
First quote I've gotten is 600 to fix hood, bumper, sideskirts, and rain channels on the roof where the paint is coming off.
Opinions?

danewilson77
04-16-2013, 10:51 AM
First quote I've gotten is 600 to fix hood, bumper, sideskirts, and rain channels on the roof where the paint is coming off.
Opinions?

Great deal.

Sent from the HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA and USA

Avetiso
04-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Sounds pretty good.

BimmerWill
04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Just dropped my phone and cracked the screen all up. ..hell of a week lol

Rovert
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Time for new bumpers on the phone too? LOL

BimmerWill
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Haha Im eligible for an upgrade but Im going to try and hold out for the HTC One when it comes out for Verizon, hopefully it will last just a little longer.

Okay so I bit the bullet, dropping the car off Monday morning, grand total of $600 to fix the hood and paint it, redo the front bumper, repaint my side skirts, color match a set of kidney grills I have ordered, and respray the rain channels on the top of the car. Man that was an expensive no brake stop but honestly better than I had expected. Will keep everyone posted, thanks for all the help!

kayger12
04-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Great deal. I payed $400 just to have my front bumper resprayed (and license plate holes filled in :shift).

echo46
04-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Damn, horrible story. Good luck.

BimmerWill
04-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeah I think it might have to do with knowing a buddy of mine but dunno...I asked him what it would run me to respray the whole car....$3,000 lol can't do that...

Rovert
04-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Think of the $600 this way. If you only pay for liability on your insurance. Then hopefully that savings equal the $600. It's a gamble but sometimes it works out better the way you did it. :)

Mtnman
04-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Haha Im eligible for an upgrade but Im going to try and hold out for the HTC One when it comes out for Verizon, hopefully it will last just a little longer.

Okay so I bit the bullet, dropping the car off Monday morning, grand total of $600 to fix the hood and paint it, redo the front bumper, repaint my side skirts, color match a set of kidney grills I have ordered, and respray the rain channels on the top of the car. Man that was an expensive no brake stop but honestly better than I had expected. Will keep everyone posted, thanks for all the help!

Sweet! I just payed $ 927 to respray bumper and rear quater panel. So thats not too bad!( and i have full coverage on insurance and still paid it all out of pocket!)

Avetiso
04-16-2013, 03:02 PM
3k is whack even for non Russian pricing.

BimmerWill
04-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Yeah I have a feeling he just didn't want to do it, must have a bunch of other jobs lined up... :dunno

Johnmadd
04-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah I have a feeling he just didn't want to do it, must have a bunch of other jobs lined up... :dunno

I hate that feeling.

3ZHP
04-16-2013, 06:49 PM

Did he ask for any money up front? If you can cover it ask him how much it would be "CASH". Those boys love cash money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pip
04-16-2013, 06:59 PM
^+1

BRGcoopahS
04-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Hey it's not that bad... Could've been much worse. I was expecting a lot worse honestly.

BimmerWill
04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Yes I can agree it could have been much worse. Already stated would be cash, that was my last bargaining chip lol honestly didn't want to try to jerk him around I knew he was already giving me a pretty good price.

Dave_B
04-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Sorry to hear of this Will. Glad you've got it all sorted out buddy.

BimmerWill
04-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words...now its just a waiting game. Dropping off car on Monday. Haven't got a time figure from him but I def don't want to rush it. Honestly just excited to see it looking good on the road again. The grills missing and dent are really an eye sore... :(

BimmerWill
04-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Alternator is fixed. She's going to the body shop Monday!

fredo
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
In for "after" pics. GL !

BimmerWill
04-26-2013, 01:58 PM
There will be plenty! :)

BimmerWill
05-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Picking her up Sunday!! Im so excited I had to post about it lol.

johnrando
05-02-2013, 04:26 PM
I've been there so I know how that feels. GL!

BimmerWill
05-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Okay so not picking it up until Tuesday. Im wanting to start things off right with this fresh paint. I was thinking a good clay bar and wax would be good but am open to suggestions. I want to take good care of it but not sure I want to go the clear bra route or that I can afford it either.

Avetiso
05-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Delays are the worst.

danewilson77
05-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Okay so not picking it up until Tuesday. Im wanting to start things off right with this fresh paint. I was thinking a good clay bar and wax would be good but am open to suggestions. I want to take good care of it but not sure I want to go the clear bra route or that I can afford it either.

Adams clay and dodo juice wax w/ Wolfgang 3.0 sealant is what I'm running.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

WOLFN8TR
05-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Adams clay and dodo juice wax w/ Wolfgang 3.0 sealant is what I'm running.

Dane where do you get these and how how much?

BimmerWill
05-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Dane where do you get these and how how much?

+1

danewilson77
05-06-2013, 02:41 AM
I think I got mine through Detailers Domain.

echo46
05-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Dodo juice FTW.

WOLFN8TR
05-06-2013, 04:59 AM
Cool, thanks...

Rovert
05-06-2013, 08:45 AM
I took this from another person's post that seems to have a high intelligence to how vehicle painting is done. Use this to help you decide on what you need to do to keep your baby looking it's best:

Factory paint is 100% cured when it leaves the paint shop (post baking) in the factory. This is why it's OK to start waxing a brand new car ASAP.

Because the "auto refinishing" industry doesn't have the same budget, capabilities, and have to work around other issues (cars being baked at 400+ degrees in the factory are just shells with no plastics, rubber seals, or ECU's yet), they have to use different technology. Clear-coat is mixed with a hardener which sets off a chain reaction process to chemically harden the paint over a set amount of time. While the hardener is usually pretty quick working, after-market facilities often "bake" cars as well, but at much lower temperatures (maybe 120-150 degrees) to help solvents escape which lessons
the total amount of time it takes for the paint to cure. A real nice way to bake panels is with infrared heat, which cures the paint quicker as the panel will bake from the inside out, pushing out solvents in a more efficient manner. Regardless of what method is used, it's safe to say that by the time you get
your car back, the new after-market paint is likely 95%+ cured. The final 5% can take from 30-60 days as until there isn't a single solvent particle waiting to escape, the paint isn't truly 100% cured (just 99.999%...).

Modern technology has come a long way, and the guys at the shop stand behind their work and they know the chance of something going wrong to
create a hazy spot where solvents weren't allowed to properly out-gas is very unlikely, and thus they tell you that you can go ahead and wax your baby if you want. It's some what like draining your oil for an oil change. You're not removing 100% of the old oil, just maybe 95% of it. Still, your engine is fine and isn't going to explode.

Now is the tricky part where you have to decide what to do for you on your
own armed with knowledge of how things work. If it was me, I'd wait 2-3 weeks, wash, clay, polish, and wax the panel and be happy.

Clay baring a newly painted surface would be a waste of your time as well. The reason why we clay is because over time road grime and crap gets stuck to the clearcoat that our nice soft washmitts can't get rid of. Your new paint has no road grime on it thus you'd be taking a second shower after you just took a shower 5 minutes before. You could Clay/wax the parts of your car that aren't painted/blended though.

BimmerWill
05-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't think about it that way. Ill give the old paint a clay and wax the whole car in about a week or so.

What is the negative to waxing the new paint before it's cured long enough?

Rovert
05-06-2013, 02:57 PM
You could entrap the solvents trying to evaporate under the wax/sealant and create haze spots on the paint to as worse as paint lifting.

BimmerWill
05-06-2013, 03:07 PM
You could entrap the solvents trying to evaporate under the wax/sealant and create haze spots on the paint to as worse as paint lifting.

Paint lifting during application?

Should I leave it parked in the sun when possible to aid in the curing? Since I moved I've been keeping it in the garage.

Rovert
05-06-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm no professional...so I can't really give "experienced" guidance. I can only use my common sense to what I've read and say that something that is trapped under something long enough will want to get out. If it can't get out, eg. the paint solvent, that bubble won't allow the paint to adhere to the surface evenly creating bubbles under the paint, ultimately leading to paint lift in the future. But it seems like the techniques used today have minimized that effect to a great extent. If chasis from the factory are heating to 400 degrees then I don't see why leaving it in the sun would harm it. Common sense said it'll help accelerate the evaporation of left over paint solvents.

BimmerWill
05-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the advice.

On my way to pick her up right now!! Ah!!! :D

BimmerWill
05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Still need to get painted grills

Rovert
05-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Cleeeeeaaaannnnn!!!

danewilson77
05-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Yay!

BimmerWill
05-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Now my key stopped working lol :(

Avetiso
05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
That's a good color match.

BimmerWill
05-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Yeah he did a good job matching it up correctly. Now im just trying to sort out the grilles as they don't fit properly and are a different make then the ones I had bought from Jlevi before.

BimmerWill
05-07-2013, 02:55 PM
This is comparing my old painted grills from Jlevi to the new ones they sent me (matte black). The new ones do not fit properly and its not from the collision as my old grilles fit fine.

BimmerWill
05-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Well the key fob not working was really bothering me but I got to thinking there's no way the new battery died as well. So i reprogrammed it. (five quick times position 1 and 0 then hold unlock with 3 taps of lock button and release) and the locks cycled! So pretty happy that I don't have to worry about that again! Now if I can just get the grill situation straightened out I'll be a happy camper :D