PDA

View Full Version : lots of smoke and oil leak

Kudos
03-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I had a burning smell coming from my car, lots of white smoke, loss of power when giving gas in 2nd gear, not consistent, but intermittent, and black oil leaking from exhaust. My mech thinks its the CCV which he had replaced 2 years ago, but there is white residue on the gas cap. I'm thinking HG blew with oil going in. What's the appropriate test to check for this? Pressure test all the cylinders?

danewilson77
03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
This was just out of the blue?

Dave1027
03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Compression test all cyls and cooling system pressure test.

Dave_B
03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Check oil as well. If it looks like Chocolate Milk, you have oil/water mixing which can indicate a HG failure.

llll1l1ll
03-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Lots of white smoking coming out of the exhaust makes me think head gasket.

Johnmadd
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Was it enough smoke that if people were behind they would not be able to see?

telijah
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Compression test along with a leak down test are usually sure fire ways to know if you've got a serious head problem.

Lespaulman16
03-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Check your oil before anything else.

How stable is your idle?

Kudos
03-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Mech did compression test, they seem to think its ccv. I did have massive amounts of smoke, and he said that the ccv caused all the oil to be dumped through the intake.
It was out of the blue, i drove the car on saturday on the highway, and i didn't have a problem. Monday morning drove for 3 miles and thought it was just a lot of smoke at first, but then ended up smelling like a fire. Pulled over after 10 minutes of city driving, hopefully didn't destroy everything. The techs did pull the ccv and either saw taht it was damaged or came to that conclusion.. either way its off so it will be replaced for a second time in 2 years.

Newjack
03-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Mech did compression test, they seem to think its ccv. I did have massive amounts of smoke, and he said that the ccv caused all the oil to be dumped through the intake.
It was out of the blue, i drove the car on saturday on the highway, and i didn't have a problem. Monday morning drove for 3 miles and thought it was just a lot of smoke at first, but then ended up smelling like a fire. Pulled over after 10 minutes of city driving, hopefully didn't destroy everything. The techs did pull the ccv and either saw taht it was damaged or came to that conclusion.. either way its off so it will be replaced for a second time in 2 years.

Wow that sucks. So glad that its not a head gasket though.

Did you take a lot of short trips in cold weather after the ccv was replaced 2 years ago? I'm surprised it failed so quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Kudos
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
My daily commute is only about 4-5 miles to work there and back, but i go to the gym which is like 20 miles each way 3-4 times a week. guess i'll need to take some long road trips when it gets cold outisde.

telijah
03-06-2013, 12:12 PM
I think I ask this in every thread about CCVs, but isn't there a "cold weather" CCV available, to help prevent these kinds of quick failure when in cold areas?

Lespaulman16
03-06-2013, 12:24 PM
I could theorize a few different causes, mostly related to temperature/ improper installation. Ultimately, I hate it happened, but I'm thankful it was just the CCV and not something more catastrophic. Hopefully you didn't ruin your catalytic converter in the process.

Kudos
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
I did have the Cold weather CCV installed in my car last time, hopefully it'll last longer this time, the mech who works on my car works at the local bmw dealer as well, so he has experience in this. If cats go, then i'll go catless and run sims.

kayger12
03-06-2013, 02:57 PM
The cold weather ccv is simply the same ccv with a piece of insulation material over it, iirc.

My understanding is that it does very little for you if the car is sitting in cold temps and only driven for short drives.

Johnmadd
03-06-2013, 03:29 PM
The cold weather ccv is simply the same ccv with a piece of insulation material over it, iirc.

My understanding is that it does very little for you if the car is sitting in cold temps and only driven for short drives.

What is considered "cold"? I haven't driven the zhp since I got pulled for tint... smh

Hermes
03-06-2013, 03:37 PM
what color is the smoke - white, blueish or blackish?

What is considered "cold"? I haven't driven the zhp since I got pulled for tint... smh

40s is cold IMO, that's when cold temp issues start from my experience

Johnmadd
03-06-2013, 03:47 PM
what color is the smoke - white, blueish or blackish?

40s is cold IMO, that's when cold temp issues start from my experience

Good to know, thanks.