PDA

View Full Version : Unusual sound..

BimmerWill
02-28-2013, 04:37 AM
I've noticed a rather peculiar sound coming from the engine bay on initial start ups and will continue until the car has been fully warmed up. The best that I can tell where it is coming from is the intake manifold area. The best way I can describe it is what it sounded like when the bearings in my water pump went out but its louder inside the car then outside and is only audible when at idle. Once the idle is raised a couple hundred rpms its no longer audible. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Oli77
02-28-2013, 04:54 AM
I am thinking DISA.

BimmerWill
02-28-2013, 05:03 AM
Just did the GAS disa repair kit and CCV. I can check it though.

Dave_B
02-28-2013, 05:53 AM
Only on start up? Only till warm?

Secondary air pump?

BimmerWill
02-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Yep that seems to be the issue. The pump comes on fine for the first minute or so although I am not getting a vacuum from the intake in order to actuate the one way valve for the secondary air pump to pump the air into the exhaust.

The sound is not a seemingly in a consistent rhythm...it almost sounds like a sucking motion of fluid that happens intermittently but it is consistent until the cad is fully warmed up to operating temp after the water temp has risen to dead center. I checked oil and coolant level they are both spot on.

Pip
02-28-2013, 07:39 AM
Is there a way to check if it is the water pump versus SAP? I have a similar sound when cold, but not all the time since I live in CA.

Edit: Looks like I would get a code if the SAP was failing. Maybe water pump bearings or something.

BimmerWill
02-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Is there a way to check if it is the water pump versus SAP? I have a similar sound when cold, but not all the time since I live in CA.

Edit: Looks like I would get a code if the SAP was failing. Maybe water pump bearings or something.

Shouldn't be the water pump as I did a coolant overhaul less than 20k ago. Granted its possible but I highly doubt it. Best way to check it however would be to remove the belt and examine it for shaft play that would tell you if it was failing. Also can visually inspect which I have done.

I really don't see how a vacuum leak would cause such a stance noise however and to me it would seem like the mouse would increase with increased vacuum, not decrease.

alexandre
02-28-2013, 09:57 AM
How recent are your pulleys ? Maybe alternator bearings ? HVAC fan ? I have whining from all 3 on cold starts lol.

BimmerWill
02-28-2013, 01:02 PM
How recent are your pulleys ? Maybe alternator bearings ? HVAC fan ? I have whining from all 3 on cold starts lol.

Replaced idle pulley a month ago. Others are still stock I believe. I don't think its them though the sound seems to be originating from the middle of motor on intake side not the front where the pulleys etc are.

Washburn
02-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Can you record the noise?

BimmerWill
02-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Its so low and quiet im not sure a mic would pick it up but I can sure give it a shot.