PDA

View Full Version : Annoyances

Dave1027
02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Is there anything that annoys you about your zhp? I have two that come to mind.

1) Navigation nag screen. I swear I want to pull the fuse for the thing. I heard there is a software upgrade to at least make it time out.

2) MPG gauge. Huh? Why? I thought as bmw owners we weren't supposed to care about pinching pennies. The damn thing makes me take my eyes off the road to look at it. It's f'ing mesmerising. Thinking about placing a piece of black tape over it. :)

Oli77
02-27-2013, 04:09 PM
I actually like my MPG gauge (sounds like deep down you like it too).

I have no nav (well, its in my head, about 4 billion neurons and 16 trillion connections).

Boss may merge with "what grinds your gears" thread.

Dave1027
02-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Boss may merge with "what grinds your gears" thread. Ohhh. I thought that thread was manual tranny related so I did not even look at it. :)

Dave_B
02-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Agree'd on that other thread... AND the MPG gauge. This is my first BMW.

Johnmadd
02-27-2013, 04:37 PM
I wish I could put a can of soda under my armrest...

Johnmadd
02-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Agree'd on that other thread... AND the MPG gauge. This is my first BMW.

My 24 year old e30 has the gauge and the 13 button obc. If you are really trying to get great mpg watch the needle but if your full thottle it will peg at 0, I just go by the obc because I believe it is correct.

johnrando
02-27-2013, 04:51 PM
What grinds your gears is a overall annoyances thread. I think we have threads that already exist about what you love about the zhp and if I'm not mistaken, what you don't like. I think the what you don't like turned into a love-fest in the end, lol. See if you can find it as there were some interesting things in there. I think some of mine were the throttle response, and how the steptronic shifts. I fixed both of those. :biggrin

BavarianZHP
02-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Love the analog mpg gauge.

BMW should have improved the following [most are needless to say]:
Cooling system
GM V module (relays/programming)
ZKW Bowls
VANOS
Radio reception
Speakers
Window regulators
Gaskets...

They should have given us:
LSD - WTF were they thinking? ARGH!
door unlock/lock control for passengers
Standard option Alarm
Perforated leather steering wheel standard

Overall, the ZHP by far is my favorite car. Nothing is perfect.

Newjack
02-27-2013, 05:33 PM
I like having my window and lock buttons on the middle console. Most people don't know where they are and don't touch them because of this (don't be touching my car bruh) and its also a form of theft protection. Way harder to get a coat hanger in the door and touch the button on the center console.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Avetiso
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
I wish I could put a can of soda under my armrest...
THIS!

I kinda like E90 cup holders, but I'm going euro tray. E46 cupholders are practically dysfunctional.

Johnmadd
02-27-2013, 06:15 PM
THIS!

I kinda like E90 cup holders, but I'm going euro tray. E46 cupholders are practically dysfunctional.

When it pops out... :drool

Johnmadd
02-27-2013, 06:17 PM
I like having my window and lock buttons on the middle console. Most people don't know where they are and don't touch them because of this (don't be touching my car bruh) and its also a form of theft protection. Way harder to get a coat hanger in the door and touch the button on the center console.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ha! I never thought of the theft/idiot factors.

Avetiso
02-27-2013, 06:18 PM
When it pops out... :drool
Lmao, it's the small things...

Avetiso
02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Ha! I never thought of the theft/idiot factors.

Living in America, I would think that if your car is stickshift you can go ahead and leave it unlocked wherever you go.

Johnmadd
02-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Living in America, I would think that if your car is stickshift you can go ahead and leave it unlocked wherever you go.

:rofl still gotta worry about the interior though... silver cube is quite desirable. :)

midlandtech
02-27-2013, 06:43 PM
ZKW is a major thing that pisses me off. especially given the price of correcting their mistake. I have contacted BMWNA to bitch about it, and added my name and comment to the recall list made for it.
an LSD would have been nice but not 100% essential I suppose... maybe if it were an option (so one could look for a car which had that box ticked)

webster
02-27-2013, 07:42 PM
sunroof failure
door lock actuator/window regulator failure
zhp vanos rattle
interior rattles
the ding from when the door is open and key is in position 1. gmafb.
interior pillar fabric peeling
shitty stock shifter feel
cdv

i do actually love the car lol

johnrando
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Are you thinking that not enough people drive stick so they couldn't steal/drive off with it? Not sure I'd want to risk that, as I'm sure there are plenty who could.

Avetiso
02-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Are you thinking that not enough people drive stick so they couldn't steal/drive off with it? Not sure I'd want to risk that, as I'm sure there are plenty who could.

It's a joke of course. I triple lock my car every time. Plenty of car thieves around here that would snap up a standard asap.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

johnrando
02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh sorry, didn't catch that. lol

mLuMaN83
02-27-2013, 10:27 PM
The projector headlights. Maybe mine are messed up but the output is crap and the pattern looks more concentrated out to the sides rather than right in front. My Tiburon had 5000k DDM HID's in the factory projectors and it blew away anything I had ever seen.

az3579
02-28-2013, 02:50 AM
ZKW is a major thing that pisses me off. especially given the price of correcting their mistake. I have contacted BMWNA to bitch about it, and added my name and comment to the recall list made for it.
an LSD would have been nice but not 100% essential I suppose... maybe if it were an option (so one could look for a car which had that box ticked)

What recall list?????:shifty

midlandtech
02-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Probably worded it wrong... Its more of an investigation... (And a failed one at that)

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3625-ZKW-Reflector-Recall-Open-NTHSA-Investigation

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

llll1l1ll
02-28-2013, 06:30 AM
I really don't like how my ZHP doesn't have a limited slip. That's pretty much it.

It's a joke of course. I triple lock my car every time. Plenty of car thieves around here that would snap up a standard asap.

How do you triple lock your car? Or are you just saying you triple check your car after you lock it to make sure it's locked? Redundant sentence is redundant.

Avetiso
02-28-2013, 06:50 AM
I really don't like how my ZHP doesn't have a limited slip. That's pretty much it.

How do you triple lock your car? Or are you just saying you triple check your car after you lock it to make sure it's locked? Redundant sentence is redundant.

It's a secret technique I've developed; the latest in car security.

johnrando
02-28-2013, 07:02 AM
hehe

Jlastor
02-28-2013, 07:04 AM
I only complained about two things about my car. First was not having LSD, I got one so problem solved. The other thing I like in my car is for the trunk to open/lift with only the push of the button; like in E60's (my moms car), 2001 MB C320 (my father in law's car), etc.

Other than that I think my car is perfect. Options I would have purchased if I had the money to buy the car new back then, probably Bluetooth, alarm, automatic wipers, and homelink. But that I cant complain.

I dont think this thread of complaining about things that fail (its normal in used/old cars), but more about the things that dont make our ZHPs perfect for our taste.

Ryans323i
02-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Is a red bull can shorter than a coke can? I can fit said red bull can under my arm rest, but my arm rest is out of an M3 so it might be better. :biggrin
Edit: Did some research. I drink the 8.4floz of red bull. The can (as I measured) is 5 5/16" tall. 12 floz Coke Can (as provided by the webz, because I don't have a coke can) is 4.75" tall. So I have no idea why I can fit a red bull can under my arm rest and you can't fit a coke can under yours. We must explore this conundrum at the Family Reunion.

The dang GM5 module is my biggest complaint. Next would be radio reception.

Dave1027
02-28-2013, 11:01 AM
The projector headlights. Maybe mine are messed up but the output is crap and the pattern looks more concentrated out to the sides rather than right in front. My Tiburon had 5000k DDM HID's in the factory projectors and it blew away anything I had ever seen.

Mine's a little funky too. I'm thinking I need to align the headlights better. One odd thing about the beam from them, instead of fading off at the edges, it comes to an abrupt end and has a kind of purple edge. Weird.

Johnmadd
02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Is a red bull can shorter than a coke can? I can fit said red bull can under my arm rest, but my arm rest is out of an M3 so it might be better. :biggrin
Edit: Did some research. I drink the 8.4floz of red bull. The can (as I measured) is 5 5/16" tall. 12 floz Coke Can (as provided by the webz, because I don't have a coke can) is 4.75" tall. So I have no idea why I can fit a red bull can under my arm rest and you can't fit a coke can under yours. We must explore this conundrum at the Family Reunion.

The dang GM5 module is my biggest complaint. Next would be radio reception.

Good research, I actually was meaning a redbull can when I first commented and it definitely doesn't fit. I will try can of mountain dew when I get home. Sounds like your armrest is higher.

ejp2fast
02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Ohhh. I thought that thread was manual tranny related so I did not even look at it. :)

same here!!
i just got my zhp, and yeah i'll agree that mpg gauge is 'mesmerizing' as dave said... but right now I don't care it if tends to go to the right as I am just friggin loving the 6spd..

At least they put a 6MT in the ZHP - or that would make this "I WISH IT HAD..." thread..

johnrando
02-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Good research, I actually was meaning a redbull can when I first commented and it definitely doesn't fit. I will try can of mountain dew when I get home. Sounds like your armrest is higher.

I love mountain dew. Even though I don't drink them, we should try a diet coke as well, to see if it fits better. :biggrin

echo46
02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Friggin Bolster wear.

Johnmadd
02-28-2013, 06:18 PM
I love mountain dew. Even though I don't drink them, we should try a diet coke as well, to see if it fits better. :biggrin

I do not have diet coke in stock :(

Mike V
03-02-2013, 01:38 PM
The lack of limited slip and cost of an aftermarket one was the biggest factor for me to decide to sell the car in 2011. I wasn't autocrossing much at the time, so it wasn't a big deal in that regard. Then winter came. That's when I learned that a limited slip diff is great for winter driving too, as I was driving up my snowy hill at a 45-degree angle (with winter tires). I had never had a problem driving up the same hill in my E36 M3 prior to that.

Then of course there was the infamous ZHP vanos rattle, which started in mine at 23k miles... right after I bought it.

I also felt that the seats were terrible for long trips. My butt would start hurting after about 2 hours in those seats. The E36 M3 sedan offers considerably more support in that area.

The gray interior annoyed me too, but that's my own fault for buying a car with gray interior lol. I thought I would get over it, but never did. The wife's X5 has gray interior too but that car is already boring so it doesn't affect me much (and I don't drive it much either).

It's not ZHP-specific but I really don't like how the 2001ish+ BMW's right mirror drops down while backing, if the switch isn't selected to the passenger side. I understand that it's designed so that you can see the curb while parallel parking, but most of us don't parallel park too often.

This might sound crazy, but the car was also too quiet. When I was in the mood to have fun, it just felt numb. An intake would have helped that, but I decided I wasn't going to put any money into it and decided to sell it instead.

BavarianZHP
03-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I found it hard to believe BMW skimped on the LSD, even the much more economical cars had them standard! When I bought mine I just assumed it had one. Ugh, oh well... Logically, LSD is essential for winter driving, but my continual research is showing otherwise. Maybe BMW's DSC has something to do with it, to compensate a bit?

Mike V
03-02-2013, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't say LSD is essential for winter driving, but it does help.

BRGcoopahS
03-02-2013, 10:06 PM
annoyances?

My drivers door window switch doesn't auto up, that and a slight speaker rattle.

webster
03-03-2013, 10:52 AM
It's not ZHP-specific but I really don't like how the 2001ish+ BMW's right mirror drops down while backing, if the switch isn't selected to the passenger side. I understand that it's designed so that you can see the curb while parallel parking, but most of us don't parallel park too often.

wow, i LOVE This feature! as someone with aftermarket rims with aggressive offsets, it has helped me avoid curbage countless times (i admit that i do live in an urban area that requires street parking often). it is also easily disabled as you mention by moving the mirror switch about .0001 inches lol. but to each his own i spose.

Mike V
03-03-2013, 11:41 AM
wow, i LOVE This feature! as someone with aftermarket rims with aggressive offsets, it has helped me avoid curbage countless times (i admit that i do live in an urban area that requires street parking often). it is also easily disabled as you mention by moving the mirror switch about .0001 inches lol. but to each his own i spose.

Nice.

Obviously it doesn't take much effort to move the switch but what annoyed me was when I would adjust the driver side mirror, but then forget to move it back over (since I also have older bmw's). By the time I look in that mirror to see how close I was to the garage, the mirror would already be completely down. Even when I'm near a curb, I'd rather move it down by hitting the switch on my own since it's a rare moment that I back up near a curb and I also don't like how the feature puts the mirror all the way down.

wsmeyer
03-03-2013, 11:46 AM
annoyances?

My drivers door window switch doesn't auto up, that and a slight speaker rattle.

Try putting the window down and then up through three full cycles by holding the switch. This will reset the the control unit and should fix it.

BRGcoopahS
03-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow.

I also forgot one another annoyance. The gas mileage... which is no where as good as the MINI.

Avetiso
03-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah, surprised by how not good the MPG is on the ZHP. I was expecting about 24-26, getting about 21. Although I assume once I am caught up with maintenance that will change.

BavarianZHP
03-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Yeah, mpg + premium is a sure annoyance, but not a deal breaker! Just be glad it's not an M3. :eeps

BTW, I think the BMW gets decent mpg for what it is.

Jlastor
03-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Coming from a modded 1.8T Audi A4, I think my MPG's on the ZHP are great! lol

Dave1027
03-05-2013, 09:19 AM
The other thing I like in my car is for the trunk to open/lift with only the push of the button; like in E60's (my moms car), 2001 MB C320 (my father in law's car), etc..
Mine has a trunk release button directly over the hood release latch by the driver's left foot. The button works fine but the trunk won't pop open by itself. Maybe the trunk struts are shot because they are more like dampeners than lifters. I'd like to push the button and have the trunk open without having to lift it open myself.

I tried cleaning and lubing the struts but still no lift. Any ideas?

Pip
03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Mine has a trunk release button directly over the hood release latch by the driver's left foot. The button works fine but the trunk won't pop open by itself. Maybe the trunk struts are shot because they are more like dampeners than lifters. I'd like to push the button and have the trunk open without having to lift it open myself.

I tried cleaning and lubing the struts but still no lift. Any ideas?

Our cars don't lift by themselves. The trunk release will unlock the trunk so you just have to lift. Otherwise you have to hold the release on the trunk lid to unlock and then lift.

Dave_B
03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
The damn brake dust!!!

Having driving cars previously with aftermarket track pads I'm "used" to it. But with an OEM pad, it should dust a hell of a lot less. And these 135's are no easy task to clean.

Avetiso
03-05-2013, 10:21 AM
The damn brake dust!!!

Having driving cars previously with aftermarket track pads I'm "used" to it. But with an OEM pad, it should dust a hell of a lot less. And these 135's are no easy task to clean.

Buy a pressure washer lol

Dave_B
03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm opting for Plasti-dip in a few weeks when it warms up.

Dave1027
03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks Pip. That explains it.

Now I only need to understand why my key fob button with a picture of an open trunk does not seem to work. Maybe the button is bad.

cakM3
03-05-2013, 11:21 AM
The only gripes/annoyances I have had while owning my ZHP have been pretty much taken care of:

- Awesome ZKW headlights, rebuilt using OEM M3 "AL" projectors
- bland throttle response, taken care of thanks to Sprint Booster w/ Sport button mod
- Improved breathing/exhaust using aFe CAI and UUC TSE3 Corsa exhaust
- got my favorite auto-dim rear view mirror for the ZHP (homelink/compass)

Other than that everything else has been nice. Yes... I keep modding my ZHP but I am having lots of fun doing so :thumbsup Yes my gas mileage has gone down considerably since incorporating my Sprint Booster but the car is so much more fun to drive now.....worth it to me :p

wsmeyer
03-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow.

I also forgot one another annoyance. The gas mileage... which is no where as good as the MINI.

Did you get it working? I'm not sure if this problem is unique to convertibles or not but johnrando and I both have it periodically and have been able to fix it by cycling it three times.

johnrando
03-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Did you get it working? I'm not sure if this problem is unique to convertibles or not but johnrando and I both have it periodically and have been able to fix it by cycling it three times.

qft

zhp43867
03-07-2013, 06:37 PM

1) Navigation nag screen. I swear I want to pull the fuse for the thing. I heard there is a software upgrade to at least make it time out.

2) MPG gauge. Huh? Why? I thought as bmw owners we weren't supposed to care about pinching pennies. The damn thing makes me take my eyes off the road to look at it. It's f'ing mesmerising. Thinking about placing a piece of black tape over it. :)

You can get different software that automatically accepts the nag screen.

What annoys me about my ZHP is the window regulator cable rattle that has come back after I fixed it once already!

PS: Soda cans do fit under my armrest. It sits up a little, but still goes down about 90% of the way. Also- I don't find them that dysfunctional! If you want dysfunctional cup holders- look into an E36 or E39. Water bottles and coffee fit in them, and that's what I care about.

kayger12
03-08-2013, 05:21 AM
Yeah, surprised by how not good the MPG is on the ZHP. I was expecting about 24-26, getting about 21. Although I assume once I am caught up with maintenance that will change.

It should improve.

21 sounds low unless you're doing all city driving.

I've gotten 25 as long as I've had it.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

danewilson77
03-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Headlight washer system :shifty

It annoys me.

BimmerWill
03-08-2013, 08:19 AM

It annoys me.

Agreed! Its a pain as well when I have to take the lenses off the headlights and it leaks washer fluid all over the garage floor from pulling the trim out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

alexandre
03-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Sooooooo glad I have a 2003. No headlight washers :)

cakM3
03-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Sooooooo glad I have a 2003. No headlight washers :)

alexandre, my ZHP is a 2003 and it came with headlight washers. With problems noted, I just deleted them and changed out the lower headlight trim....then I programmed the headlight washers to be off... now no more problems associated with headlight washer system...:thumbsup

WOLFN8TR
03-08-2013, 08:47 AM
There is a thread on the Duramax Forum just like this. Believe it or not I listed some things I didn't like about my truck and some idiot said "Why did you buy it then"! Geez Really.

Overall I absolutely love my ZHP. The one thing that I do not like is everything is plastic on the cooling system. The OEM DISA design (G.A.S fixed it). The CCV design, again all plastic. I really don't get the instant MPG gauge, it would of been nice to have something worth while there instead. How about a digital temp gauge, or a transmission temp gauge. Something useful.

Dave1027
03-08-2013, 08:52 AM

It annoys me.
Headlight washers? Do I have that on mine? If so how does it work?

alexandre
03-08-2013, 08:53 AM
If you have inserts on the red trim under the headlights, you have them. If the trim is flush all the way, you don't... I believe they activate every 5 times you send fluid to your windshield.

alexandre, my ZHP is a 2003 and it came with headlight washers. With problems noted, I just deleted them and changed out the lower headlight trim....then I programmed the headlight washers to be off... now no more problems associated with headlight washer system...:thumbsup

Forgot about the '03 ZCW cars. Excellent solution though :)

johnrando
03-08-2013, 08:57 AM
IIRC, if your lights are on, and you use your windshield wipers, the headlight washers go on too. Not 100% positive.

Dave1027
03-08-2013, 09:08 AM
The one thing that I do not like is everything is plastic on the cooling system. The OEM DISA design (G.A.S fixed it).
Wolf, do you have the GAS radiator cap? It's supposed to solve cooling sysytem issues by reducing system pressure. I'm thinking about getting it.

WOLFN8TR
03-08-2013, 11:28 AM
I do not. I've looked into it but haven't purchased one yet. I believe Cricket has one on his ZHP.

BRGcoopahS
03-09-2013, 08:24 PM
IIRC, if your lights are on, and you use your windshield wipers, the headlight washers go on too. Not 100% positive.

This is most likely it. Exactly how it is on the MINI. And the r50/3 mini share most of the same electronics as the e46.

BRGcoopahS
03-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Yup! The trick worked. So happy because now I don't have to hold both the drivers window up and the "all" window switch at the same time. It could be a vert issue since the vert is the only one with that particular window switch.

johnrando
03-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Good. Time to redo mine too.

MrMaico
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Now I only need to understand why my key fob button with a picture of an open trunk does not seem to work. Maybe the button is bad.

Try holding the button a little longer, it has a slight delay designed into it.......some safety reason I assume. I think the delay is even adjustable through coding.

Imola.ZHP
03-10-2013, 11:30 AM

Really? These two things are what annoy's you about your ZHP? Care to include how long you have owned yours?

As for the "nag" screen on the nav, about 5 (or more) years ago I updated (and customized) my software so that it times out, no big deal...

As for the MPG gauge, I'm confused, its distracting to you? I rarely look at it. Perhaps the instant MPG gauge was required in one (or more) countries that the e46 as sold in back when they were in (or going into) production. Perhaps they just decided to give them to us also...

How about real annoyances? Like DISA's that crumble over time, weak cooling system, bushings that always need to be replaced and rattling VANOS comes to mind just really quickly...

EDIT: Oh yeah, wait until your nav screen starts getting "dead" pixel's. Mine has two spots that keep growing, thats really annoying...

Whitexi
03-10-2013, 03:06 PM
When I had my E46 the ECU has its own fan I guess? Like a small computer fan to keep it cool.

IT FOREVER WOULD CHIRP ON START UP....SO a swift kick to the under side of the dash usually shut it up. Would drive me crazy, also CCV. Was by far the worst thing EVER to have changed, and I didn't even do it. I tried and gave up, dafq were you thinking BMW.

Dave1027
03-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Try holding the button a little longer, it has a slight delay designed into it.......some safety reason I assume. I think the delay is even adjustable through coding.

Yep. That was it. Thanks.

Dave1027
03-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Really? These two things are what annoy's you about your ZHP? Care to include how long you have owned yours?...
Yeah, I'm a newb. That's pretty much why I decided to start this rant. Because I'm settling in as far as ownership goes and I began to see what bugged me about this car. I still like it overall.