PDA

View Full Version : Damage by not replacing VCG now?

meesh
02-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Just rolled over 140K and my engine started smoking from the passenger side. I suspect it's the VCG. My question is, will I cause any damage to my car by driving it until I can tackle the repair by myself in the spring? The car doesn't seem to be burning too much oil. Thanks!

Avetiso
02-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Engine smoking. Fix it. Now, IMO.

danewilson77
02-12-2013, 02:35 AM
Did you check oil level?

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk

kayger12
02-12-2013, 04:32 AM
If you're sure it's the vcg it's not going to hurt anything to leave it. Just keep an eye on your oil level.

I left mine on the 325 for a few months over the winter a few years back until it warmed up.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

llll1l1ll
02-12-2013, 05:53 AM
I'm in the same boat. It's really just too cold to replace the VCG right now, and I'm short on time and money. It was just replaced last year, too, so it must have been a shoddy job if it's leaking already. I'm kinda mad about that.

In any case, it's leaking so I just keep my eye on the oil level to make sure everything's fine. It's not a HUGE OMG LEAK like my old E30, but you can see oil collecting around the underside of the leak points on the valve cover (by the VANOS and on the corners). Occasionally, if I'm on a hill, some oil will drip down onto the hot parts of the engine and create smoke. It's more embarrassing than anything - driving around in a clean ZHP with smoke coming from under the hood. People think you're crazy.

Ryans323i
02-12-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm in the same boat. It's really just too cold to replace the VCG right now, and I'm short on time and money. It was just replaced last year, too, so it must have been a shoddy job if it's leaking already. I'm kinda mad about that.

In any case, it's leaking so I just keep my eye on the oil level to make sure everything's fine. It's not a HUGE OMG LEAK like my old E30, but you can see oil collecting around the underside of the leak points on the valve cover (by the VANOS and on the corners). Occasionally, if I'm on a hill, some oil will drip down onto the hot parts of the engine and create smoke. It's more embarrassing than anything - driving around in a clean ZHP with smoke coming from under the hood. People think you're crazy.

I replaced my VCG, but didn't do my PCV, the VCG started leaking again. Replaced the PCV and VCG (again), and no problems.

Tnhl1989
02-12-2013, 08:47 AM
I feel you there guys. I just replaced all this right after the storm outside. Feeling much better about the car though :)

meesh
02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I burn through about a quart every 1,500 miles and it only smokes when I'm on an incline. I guess I'm going to look at changing it sooner rather than later ... even though it's cold out!

Tnhl1989
02-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Hey bro if I can spend 5 hours in the cold before and after nemo I'm sure you can as well ;)

llll1l1ll
02-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I replaced my VCG, but didn't do my PCV, the VCG started leaking again. Replaced the PCV and VCG (again), and no problems.

By PCV do you meant the crankcase ventilation hose that's a big PITA to change?

LivesNearCostco
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I just changed oil and while I only splashed a few drops on the street, I didn't fill with a funnel so spilled enough fresh oil to drip some onto the exhaust. The burning smell reminded me of what it was like before I replaced my VCG! I think I added 1.5 to 2 quarts in the last 8900 miles. It was definitely burning more oil when my VCG and OFHG were leaking.

Edit: when we replace the CCV, how can we tell if our dipsticks are the old design or the new and improved design? Is it year or model dependent?

echo46
02-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't think it will harm the engine but it will stink inside the cockpit. Might lose oil over time. Just not a great situation and as its an easy fix just replace it.

Dave1027
02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
There is a small possibility of a fire if the exhaust manifold gets hot enough.

danewilson77
02-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Flash point is 446*F...for you techies.

Assuming M1 0W-40.

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk

Ryans323i
02-13-2013, 05:58 AM
By PCV do you meant the crankcase ventilation hose that's a big PITA to change?

Not just the hose, but the whole CCV/PCV/Oil separator. It is a good idea to change the hoses while you're in there.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/qwvyy.msqrh/v/vspfiles/photos/11617501566AE46-2.jpg?1360138842

When these fail, pressure builds and will blow out the recently replaced (or oid) VCG, usually on the passenger rear side of the engine.

echo46
02-13-2013, 06:02 AM
They are a pita to change because some of the hoses are very hard to get to and difficult to get off. Also, it's hard to reattach some of them. Otherwise it's not complicated.

llll1l1ll
02-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Hoses that are difficult to get at and hard to get off sounds like a job that's not for me and my large hands. I had a hard enough time getting the throttle body intake hose off and on.

Edit: Sounds like my PCV and all that garbage is likely toast considering my VCG leaks from the problematic areas associated with failing PCV junk. I should do the plastic bag test.

Junior2552
02-15-2013, 12:54 PM
A customer of mine needs the PCV replaced on his E46.

Needless to say, I had the choice to do the E46 or the E38 750iL first, which needed a water pump, belts, thermostat, coolant, and a radiator after the fan clutch decided to spin off and throw the blades through it....

So I did the E38 first :) PCV's are such a pain on the E46 :/ especially for those of us with big hands, as stated before. Good luck with the fix OP!