PDA

View Full Version : Although I'm finally at the party, I've been getting ready for years.

Redrider2002
02-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi Everyone!

For the better part of 15 years, my clients would occasionally ask what my favorite BMW was. "Given the choice," they asked, "which car would you retire with...what is the best value and all around best BMW you ever delivered?"

That is a great question, but first, some perspective. I was a BMW Client Advisor for 15 years. During my career, I can comfortably say that I drove every model that BMW imported during those years. We're not referring to the cursory run around the block, typical in most car stores. Our management team encouraged us to take the new models home for the night. They felt that the extended drives were necessary to keep our product knowledge sharp. I was always ready to comply. The parade of M cars, roadsters and every cool car BMW built kept the neighbors wondering just what I did for a living.

Then came the ZHP.

I recall the first demonstrator 2003 ZHP we ordered. That Imola Red, manual car was in my driveway the night after it was PDI'd. The odometer showed 20 miles. Although my neighbors were used to seeing new BMWs at my place by now, the ZHP was different. It not only looked cool, it sounded awesome and was priced, what's this, affordably? Three months later I volunteered to deliver a Titanium Silver ZHP, 6MT to a friend in Santa Monica. After nearly 1100 miles, I was seriously hooked. I discovered that triple digits were well within the recommended break-in parameters.

Retirement is a long way down the road and so are any thoughts of a "last BMW". However, now that Center Employee Lease deals are in the rear view mirror, I was forced to ponder my first BMW purchase in a decade and a half. The choice of the ZHP was clear. I needed a car by the end of December and the west coast wasn't yielding many prospects. Autotrader, BMWCCA classified and ZHP Registry became my go-to sites for ZHP leads. After dismissing several potential prospects who's owner's subscribed to the, "if not for the deferred maintenance, there'd be none at all" program, I found one in Maryland. The price was reasonable for a car that had been a CPO, well maintained and owned by a CCA member, who just purchased a E90 M3. Besides, it was Imola Red, my first color choice and a relatively low 64,000 miles. A bit of calling in favors from BMW friends on the right coast, some cross country freight and the car shows up at the local Walmart parking lot. The driver's english was as limited as his patience, so I signed for the car under the parking lot lights and drove it home in the rain.

Thanks to Marcus for allowing me to join ZHP Mafia. The Mafia is responsible for helping me to get the car sorted. Special thanks to Jon (JupiterBMW) for walking me through the ZKW to AL bi-xenon headlight swap. The detailed pics, video and exhaustive editorial made the project relatively easy.

As I wait patiently for Turner Motorsports to fill my order for clear lens and brake lights, I reflect that I now have the BMW I've always wanted. The ZHP may not be the car I take into retirement, but I didn't want to wait that long to finally own one.

Happy to be here, pics to follow.

Scott

Avetiso
02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Welcome. Great story, and very uplifting to know someone with such extensive experience with BMW's also vouches for the quality of the ZHP.

johnrando
02-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Welcome home. :)

JupiterBMW
02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Scott, bout damn time you posted your intro thread! :biggrin

Well, officially, welcome to the Mafia. Now you know, you have to post pics of the car, especially when you get the new lights on it. Like I said before, no worries on the help with the lights, I enjoy being able to help others, even though my ZHP/BMW exerience is still very limited.

Glad you're here and looking forward to seeing more of you around these parts.

BavarianZHP
02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I already like you. I'm on the wait list for the TMS clears as well... Coming up on the 2nd week. Hope to see you around on the forum.

derbo
02-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Fantastic! When I first join BMW San Francisco dealership in 2005 I was still in college. The last of the brand new zhp models were rolling off the line. I happen to drive a few and thought to myself. This car would be incredible to own. Fast forward to 2010, I have one just like you. Feels like your story is very similar. I've driven countless of the new bmws and worked on many over the years I was a BMW. The only car that all the technicians would want was the zhp.

Hope you get your clear so and start posting pictures. Enjoy!'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danewilson77
02-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks for sharing. Good stuff.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA.

kayger12
02-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Great read.

Welcome to the Family.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

BCS_ZHP
02-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Welcome.

elric
02-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Great story. Welcome to the family!

Sent from my Galaxy S II Skyrocket

GMATT
02-07-2013, 04:51 AM
Welcome..................Very nice car!

Gary

Mtnman
02-07-2013, 05:02 AM
Welcome. In for pics

fredo
02-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Welcome, Scott ! Glad you joined the Family.

Ryans323i
02-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Welcome. Excellent intro. Loved the story. And congrats on owning one!

Hornung418
02-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Cool story! Welcome to the family, Scott.

From a GS3, this was sent.

Torxuvin
02-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Welcome. Looking forward to pics

brettbimmer
02-07-2013, 10:16 AM
A sucker for the Imola Red ZHP...I know the feeling! Excellent intro & enjoyable story. I thought we were missing an IR ZHP here in Maryland. J/k - good luck with her!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jayjay_dee
02-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Welcome!!!

static667
02-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the Mafia, Scott!

Sent from my yet to be hacked GS3.

Redrider2002
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Wow, thanks for the warm greetings everyone! I haven't been made to feel this welcome since rush week in college!

Jon, pm me please and let me know where I can send these ZKW lights! I hope to have them gone by the time Bavarian ZHP and I get our clears.

Derbo, do you still work at BMW of SF? If so, I was in your store facilitating the BMW IQS initiative last September! Nice center, great people and good location.

Oli77
02-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Welcome. Enjoyed your story very much. But really, you will retire with the Imolat ZHP?

echo46
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Great story, you might make it to retirement with that beast.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Welcome, Scott.

Redrider2002
02-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Not retire in the classic sense, just finished my BMW career at the center retail level and the ZHP made the most sense for my DD. Love the F30 and and intend to put one in the garage next to the ZHP.

JupiterBMW
02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Jon, pm me please and let me know where I can send these ZKW lights! I hope to have them gone by the time Bavarian ZHP and I get our

Hmm I thought I did, or perhaps in an email. Will PM it now.

derbo
02-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Wow, thanks for the warm greetings everyone! I haven't been made to feel this welcome since rush week in college!

Jon, pm me please and let me know where I can send these ZKW lights! I hope to have them gone by the time Bavarian ZHP and I get our clears.

Derbo, do you still work at BMW of SF? If so, I was in your store facilitating the BMW IQS initiative last September! Nice center, great people and good location.

I actually quit the beginning of Sept after 7 Years working there. I was the CPO sales' manager's Assistant. Bruce was a a great boss. It is definitely one of the most entertaining places I've worked at with great people. I miss working there for the BMW perks. F30 Msport struck me similar to the way the ZHP did some 7 years ago. Perhaps in 5 years I maybe in a F30..lol

Enjoy your imola red. One of my favorite colors for a ZHP.

-Derek

Mike V
02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the forum! This thread makes me miss my Imola ZHP.

aurelius
02-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Jon, pm me please and let me know where I can send these ZKW lights!

There's a final resting place for ZKW headlights? Do tell...

Redrider2002
02-08-2013, 09:06 PM
As tempting as the landfill sounds, Jupiter would like to add them to his growing stack of discarded ZKWs. He has a very understanding family!

Crickett
02-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the Family, Scott! It's stories such as yours (backed with so much experience!) that make me so immensely thankful that I blundered my way into a ZHP!

illirep
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Awesome intro. Welcome.

09mageec
02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
What a great intro! I'm sure it makes us all feel nice to hear such words about our cars. Welcome