PDA

View Full Version : New guy, first Bimmer and happens to be a ZHP. Upstate, SC

Dave_B
01-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself here.

First, thanks Dane for getting me all setup. Much appreciated.

Little background, I come from a family of car enthusiasts. Father is an ASE master tech and owns a shop in Orlando, FL. Brother graduated from UTI and the BMW step program and then went to be a BMW tech at Braman Motorgroup down in South Florida. Me? Well (and don't laugh to much here) I'm coming into only the second vehicle in my life that isn't a Honda (15+). No, I'm not nor have ever been a ricer. No Altezza tail lights, cut springs or fart pipes for me here. The last 4 were Integra Type R's and the most recent being the coveted 97. I've learned those like the back of my hand and had a fully built PY track car that was caged, gutted and so forth.

I'm in the IT field up here in Upstate, SC. Moved from Florida about 4 years ago. Love this year and proximity to the Mountains and great roads.

My coming to a BMW and specifically a ZHP is actually interesting. I knew when I sold my last ITR I wanted more of a "grown up" car. I asked my Brother what his recommendation was (4 door, manual trans) and he immediately said ZHP. I asked what that was and then googled around. Interested in the car I started looking at AutoTrader. In my mind at the time I wanted something with 50-60k miles on it, but after seeing the prices that were being asked for ZHP's I went back to looking for a Honda (Acura TL Type S 6 speed) I looked for about 2 months and those things proved hard to find (wanted a White/Black 6 speed) Just a little over a week ago I received a text from my local buddy who has an E60 M5 6 speed. He's a member of the local BMWCCA chapter and a guy around here was selling a ZHP. I looked over the ad and made a call. Next day I was over looking at it and driving the car. Honestly, at first I wasn't all too impressed, but as the days went by I've found that I absolutely love the car.

Today, I went ahead and did an oil change and got under the car to really take a closer look. There's what looks to be an oil seep somewhere, but no drops under the car. I'll be tracking this down closer as I pull things apart more to do the cooling system in the next month or so. I've also got a random Airbag light that comes and goes and after digging today it appears it may be the passenger mat sensor. I'll likely be inquiring on how to connect to the car myself via OBDII and my laptop. But I've got other things to focus on first.

I also plan to add as much as I can with DIY's, pictures and so forth. I've got access to AllData via my father so if there's anything I can contribute with that, please don't hesitate to ask.

Lastly, everyone likes pictures, right?

PY ITR Track car:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/MidCornerHandShow.jpg

Recent 97 ITR:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/IMG_6481_zps295eb135.jpg

And the new Chariot:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/31AB9164-5A6D-4742-8E23-EE961EF4FCE1-19486-00000B06FBE1BD43.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/F5CC4D71-53B7-4130-9FDE-D2EBFF33552E-19486-00000B06F1C3E051.jpg

And the first thing I did to it, replaced the worn out Alcantara wheel with a Coby re-wrap

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/B90B7879-6730-428C-8BBD-938751ABE948-19486-00000B0701DC72B1.jpg

Dave

Mtnman
01-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Welcome dave! Great intro. where is your oil leak coming from? and more pics.

kayger12
01-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the family.

Enjoyed the pics.

If you let us know where you saw the oil we can offer some suggestions for narrowing down the leak.

Avetiso
01-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the forum! No need to be shy of Honda's. It's not rice if it's on the track. (I'm quoting somebody from the forum, can't remember who, though)

Really liking that yellow Type-R. Don't forget to tell us your name!

Avetiso
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Also, as far as the airbag light goes, E46's have two common issues: driver seat buckle (which I am currently dealing with), and the passenger mat.

Hermes
01-20-2013, 03:35 PM
love it... from a guy who owned a TL Type S (many years ago), you made the right decision. Welcome to the family and start posting your maintenance questions, we will help you get your car running perfect

Dave_B
01-20-2013, 04:01 PM
WOW, much more feedback right away than I anticipated. :)

As for the name, I figured the username would give it away... :P Name is Dave. :)

I'm usually good at finding oil leaks, unfortunately I ran out of time after doing the oil change. Was going to wash down the engine compartment with some degreaser and see where the fresh stuff was coming from. It's definitely mid motor or lower. Doesn't appear to be from the VC. Also, appears to be something old and not fresh oil as there are no drops on the ground where the car is. I wiped down as much of the "crud" as possible in an attempt to find it in a few days.

I also have some other issues to contend with on the car besides the Airbag light. I've got the black cube trim missing on the right rear door and the rain gutter rear piece is missing. I've read that for the rain gutter, I have to replace the whole shadowline trim piece from the dealer at $170ish. Have not found just the single trim piece yet, but guestimate around $100 for it. Another little piece I need is the fog light trim for the right front. Then there is the right rear window regulator. I'll see if the zip tie trick works first and go from there.

I'd like to also change the diff and trans oil. I've heard the trans is lifetime, but fluid breaks down. The car also has a bit of mileage on it at 140k but I got it for what I feel was a decent deal at $7k. I'm also huge on preventative maintenace.

Other things I'll be doing are plasti-dip on various things like kidney grills, rear deck/lip spoiler, louver (sp) on the hood. I'll likely get the Coby tri-stitch shift boot and E-brake lever to match the wheel. I also am going to pull the radio to make sure it has the Aux port and then install the OEM kit.

I've done more reading on these cars in the past week than I'd like to admit. LOL I'll def. use the search feature (not just here but e46fanatics and google)

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys. Already feels like home. I'll get more pics of various other things as they come about. :)

kayger12
01-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Check out your oil filter housing gasket. That's a common source of mid engine and lower oil leaks that aren't associated with vcg.

Tell tale sign is oil on the waffle area on the drivers side of the engine block (you'll have to remove the air filter box to see it).

Straight forward DIY and $5 gasket if that's what it is.

Mtnman
01-20-2013, 04:13 PM
+1. Thats what i was thinking too, keith.

kayger12
01-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Good pic of it

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9661008&postcount=11

wertyu78
01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the mafia! That looks like Tony's old car, in fact I'm quite certain it is! I live in the Upstate area was well. My name is Wyatt. We have a euro car club In the area and are very active on our Facebook group. You can add me on Facebook and ill send you the invite. If you ever need a hand with anything just Lmk. I live in the Maudlin/Greenville area.

Avetiso
01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
WOW, much more feedback right away than I anticipated. :)

As for the name, I figured the username would give it away... :P Name is Dave. :)

I'm usually good at finding oil leaks, unfortunately I ran out of time after doing the oil change. Was going to wash down the engine compartment with some degreaser and see where the fresh stuff was coming from. It's definitely mid motor or lower. Doesn't appear to be from the VC. Also, appears to be something old and not fresh oil as there are no drops on the ground where the car is. I wiped down as much of the "crud" as possible in an attempt to find it in a few days.

I also have some other issues to contend with on the car besides the Airbag light. I've got the black cube trim missing on the right rear door and the rain gutter rear piece is missing. I've read that for the rain gutter, I have to replace the whole shadowline trim piece from the dealer at $170ish. Have not found just the single trim piece yet, but guestimate around $100 for it. Another little piece I need is the fog light trim for the right front. Then there is the right rear window regulator. I'll see if the zip tie trick works first and go from there.

I'd like to also change the diff and trans oil. I've heard the trans is lifetime, but fluid breaks down. The car also has a bit of mileage on it at 140k but I got it for what I feel was a decent deal at $7k. I'm also huge on preventative maintenace.

Other things I'll be doing are plasti-dip on various things like kidney grills, rear deck/lip spoiler, louver (sp) on the hood. I'll likely get the Coby tri-stitch shift boot and E-brake lever to match the wheel. I also am going to pull the radio to make sure it has the Aux port and then install the OEM kit.

I've done more reading on these cars in the past week than I'd like to admit. LOL I'll def. use the search feature (not just here but e46fanatics and google)

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys. Already feels like home. I'll get more pics of various other things as they come about. :)
Haha, never looked at your user. One way to see if you can do AUX is if you have the MODE button on the switch instead of CD. If you have the MODE button, you should have AUX, if I am not mistaken...That's what I went by, and I had AUX.

Dave_B
01-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Welcome to the mafia! That looks like Tony's old car, in fact I'm quite certain it is! I live in the Upstate area was well. My name is Wyatt. We have a euro car club In the area and are very active on our Facebook group. You can add me on Facebook and ill send you the invite. If you ever need a hand with anything just Lmk. I live in the Maudlin/Greenville area.

Yep, Tony's old car for sure. :) Wyatt, I also do the Coffee and Cars every month behind the Starbucks on Pleasantburg and East North.

I'd love to say I'm on Facebook... but yeah... not for me. :) I will however keep you in mind should I need a hand. I appreciate the offer. I'm in Greer myself, near the airport.

Avetiso, I read that too (lots of conflicting info on the web) about the mode/CD, but also read that it was mid 2003 when it was added as an option. As easy as it is to pull the 2 trim pieces and 2 screws, I'll do that just to be 100% before I order the cable.

As for the oil leak, I saw it from below. Had oil on the pan, and just in front (towards the bumper) of it. I wish I had taken a pic now. LOL It's def. still possible to be the oil filter housing. I planned when I did the coolant stuff on doing the idlers, belts, hoses, tank, radiator and also the VC gasket (Vanos seals are shot too, so I'll do the VC, Vanos at the same time as plugs) oil filter housing and oil pan gasket.

Can't wait to get all of these little things wrapped up. Then I'll have no worries taking the car anywhere.

Hermes
01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
coolant system, you're at the mileage

(I think every 70k is a proper number)

danewilson77
01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Welcome

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Dave_B
01-20-2013, 05:40 PM
coolant system, you're at the mileage

(I think every 70k is a proper number)

It's at the top of my To Do list. :) Also, I think I just read your looking for a worn/used Alcantara wheel for Coby Re-wrap. I just posted one FS/FT.

JupiterBMW
01-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Welcome to the forum Dave... Funny you mention Braman BMW... What location? We frequent the dealer in Jupiter, bought my wife's X3 there, and every once in a while I stop in there to the parts department... Anyway, welcome to the crew!

Dave_B
01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the forum Dave... Funny you mention Braman BMW... What location? We frequent the dealer in Jupiter, bought my wife's X3 there, and every once in a while I stop in there to the parts department... Anyway, welcome to the crew!

Step Dad worked at UTI for a few years teaching and then went to the BMW Step program. Brother got a free ride with UTI and then qualified for the BMW Step program so that's what he did. Then he worked at Braman for a few years as a tech before moving over to an Indy shop. To add more to the small world/Braman thing, I ordered the Cig lighter USB BMW thing from Ebay. Come to find out, it shipped from Braman. LOL

As far as which specific location? Honestly I'm not sure. Somewhere near West Palm, but I've since moved out of FL about 4 years ago and haven't been to SFL in about 6 or so.

Dave_B
01-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Also, any Swag or anything for the site here? I've gone through most forums but haven't found a thing. A hoodie would be great!

cakM3
01-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah, that would be the oil filter housing gasket (OFHG). The bolts that hold the oil filter housing are specific and you have to put the same exact bolts back. Not hard to do as BP helped me do mine last autumn. The gasket is now around $10 but if you wanted BMW to do this they would charge you well over $500 to replace this $10 gasket....crazy!

Oh, and welcome to the family Dave! :thumbsup

Dave_B
01-20-2013, 07:15 PM
So, I can only assume that since I just did the oil change today that I need to wait for the next one before I do this gasket? Or can I left the car sit a few days, let the oil drain back and then do that gasket?

Also, couple of other things. I've got to get a drivers door "brake" I believe is what it's called? Basically, the door doesn't stay open no matter how little or far you open it. I read a little and it seems a fairly easy fix with a new brake. Also, my car ALWAYS beeps with the drivers door open when the key is out of it. No clue why. Key? Yep, it's shot. I'm going to be ordering a new one, then cutting this one open and replacing the VL-2020 battery and hoping for the best. Worst case it's a good manual second key for the wife.

Any thoughts on those gents?

static667
01-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the Mafia!

When you go to do the OFHG, go ahead and do your PCV valve. You'll have to take apart pretty much all of the same stuff to get to it. I had several things fail on my car at once and I ended up burning the rings out of my stock 2.5l. It was between the OFHG, VCG, and a bad oil level sensor. I swapped out the old 2.5 for a 3.0 in my shed back in December.

wertyu78
01-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Yep, Tony's old car for sure. :) Wyatt, I also do the Coffee and Cars every month behind the Starbucks on Pleasantburg and East North.

I'd love to say I'm on Facebook... but yeah... not for me. :) I will however keep you in mind should I need a hand. I appreciate the offer. I'm in Greer myself, near the airport.

Avetiso, I read that too (lots of conflicting info on the web) about the mode/CD, but also read that it was mid 2003 when it was added as an option. As easy as it is to pull the 2 trim pieces and 2 screws, I'll do that just to be 100% before I order the cable.

As for the oil leak, I saw it from below. Had oil on the pan, and just in front (towards the bumper) of it. I wish I had taken a pic now. LOL It's def. still possible to be the oil filter housing. I planned when I did the coolant stuff on doing the idlers, belts, hoses, tank, radiator and also the VC gasket (Vanos seals are shot too, so I'll do the VC, Vanos at the same time as plugs) oil filter housing and oil pan gasket.

Can't wait to get all of these little things wrapped up. Then I'll have no worries taking the car anywhere.

Well I'll see you around there! Give me a shout sometime. 404-660-474three

danewilson77
01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
So, I can only assume that since I just did the oil change today that I need to wait for the next one before I do this gasket? Or can I left the car sit a few days, let the oil drain back and then do that gasket?

Also, couple of other things. I've got to get a drivers door "brake" I believe is what it's called? Basically, the door doesn't stay open no matter how little or far you open it. I read a little and it seems a fairly easy fix with a new brake. Also, my car ALWAYS beeps with the drivers door open when the key is out of it. No clue why. Key? Yep, it's shot. I'm going to be ordering a new one, then cutting this one open and replacing the VL-2020 battery and hoping for the best. Worst case it's a good manual second key for the wife.

You can perform the OFHG repair without draining the oil. You're good.

Crickett
01-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Welcome! You've got quite the petrolhead background; I think you'll fit in here juuuuust fine.

Oh, and ANOTHER SILBERGRAU SEDAN JOINS THE FAMILY!! :rockon

(Or is that TiAg? :eeps)

Marcus-SanDiego
01-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Welcome.

JupiterBMW
01-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Step Dad worked at UTI for a few years teaching and then went to the BMW Step program. Brother got a free ride with UTI and then qualified for the BMW Step program so that's what he did. Then he worked at Braman for a few years as a tech before moving over to an Indy shop. To add more to the small world/Braman thing, I ordered the Cig lighter USB BMW thing from Ebay. Come to find out, it shipped from Braman. LOL

As far as which specific location? Honestly I'm not sure. Somewhere near West Palm, but I've since moved out of FL about 4 years ago and haven't been to SFL in about 6 or so.

Ahh ok, yeah, the West Palm Beach location is the 'main' site I believe. That is the dealer that does BMW, Mini, Audi, Porsche, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and a few others. The Braman guy must seriously be rolling in the dough...

JupiterBMW
01-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Welcome! You've got quite the petrolhead background; I think you'll fit in here juuuuust fine.

I believe it is TiAg... TiAg sometimes seems to look almost white under certain lighting.

Dave_B
01-21-2013, 05:28 AM
Well I'll see you around there! Give me a shout sometime. 404-660-474three

Thanks Wyatt, I've saved your contact info. I can be had at eight 6 4- 4 8 three- 1 5 four 5

Welcome to the Mafia!

When you go to do the OFHG, go ahead and do your PCV valve. You'll have to take apart pretty much all of the same stuff to get to it. I had several things fail on my car at once and I ended up burning the rings out of my stock 2.5l. It was between the OFHG, VCG, and a bad oil level sensor. I swapped out the old 2.5 for a 3.0 in my shed back in December.

Noted, I'll go ahead and plan for both then. Also, the oil pan trap door was missing. I assume I can buy one of these at the dealer for a replacement?

Dane, thanks for the info on the gasket. I'll plan on doing it sooner and was hoping I'd hear I can do this without draining.

Dave_B
01-21-2013, 05:33 AM

It's Silver. :P Have no clue the color code... yet. Is there a color code tag in the door jamb? If so, I'll reply with that later.

Yeah... as a young boy I remember not being paid to mow the grass, but rather to hand the old man tools which then of course eventually graduated to helping around the shop and working under lifts.

This outta give some clue as to what I've done previously. :P

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/Beginningofdayswork.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/installingpistons.jpg

For me, working on my own cars isn't really about saving any kind of $ although that's a benefit. It's more of a hobby, and also gives me a chance to look at other things on the car (oil leak in this case with recent oil change)

As for Braman, I had never personally been down there but did hear they are quite well off. He would actually host employee track days with no cost to their employee's. Brother got to take his E36 ///M out at Palm Beach Raceway (formerly Moroso) a few times.

Ryans323i
01-21-2013, 06:25 AM
Welcome! Car looks great, congrats. Wyatt and I are members of the Sandlapper chapter of the BMW CCA. If you haven't joined yet, you ought to. We have at least 2 auto-x's and the BMW Performance Center with our own cars! Worth the Club dues alone.

Dave_B
01-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Welcome! Car looks great, congrats. Wyatt and I are members of the Sandlapper chapter of the BMW CCA. If you haven't joined yet, you ought to. We have at least 2 auto-x's and the BMW Performance Center with our own cars! Worth the Club dues alone.

I'll likely be at Quaker Steak tonight. :)

Ryans323i
01-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Have fun. I'm not making it down this month.

johnrando
01-21-2013, 07:54 AM
Nice cars. Welcome!

Crickett
01-21-2013, 08:01 AM
It's Silver. :P Have no clue the color code... yet. Is there a color code tag in the door jamb? If so, I'll reply with that later.

LOL; color name is on one of the shock towers (driver-side, I think). "Silbergrau" is "Silver Gray", a darker silver; "TiAg" is "Titanium Silver", a lighter silver (& coupes also got Sparkling Graphite, which is a much darker gray).

I think Joop's right; it does look a bit more like TiAg than I originally thought. :eeps

Yeah... as a young boy I remember not being paid to mow the grass, but rather to hand the old man tools which then of course eventually graduated to helping around the shop and working under lifts.

That's brilliant! I'll have to remember that for my kids. And also have them mow the lawn . . . :shifty

This outta give some clue as to what I've done previously. :P

[Pics of impressive DIY engine rebuild]

Um . . . wow. I was a bit nervous when I just had my valve cover off! :blink

Dave_B
01-21-2013, 08:06 AM
No need to be nervous under there. Plenty of forums such as this with help and DIY's. I also had AllData near by that had all sorts of torque specs and so on.

Speaking of working on these things, what is the recommend or factory service manuals? Bentley? Do they have online or PDF versions?

And... tools. I've got air compressor with air ratchet and impact along with ratcheting wrenches and sockets. What specialty tools do I need for this car? Common torx set?

I'll check the color code tonight and report back and also update my posting on the registry.

JupiterBMW
01-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Definitely get a good set of torx bits. I prefer the small hex set for going into my cordless drivers, as well as a 1/4" and 3/8" socket set for the ratchets. Aside from that, you should already have a good set of metrics with your Honda past...

Car looks great, the built block looks like fun too. I did that once, that was enough. Race built motors are too finicky for me anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2... Oooh snazzy!

Crickett
01-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Most folks swear by the Bentley; I have yet to acquire one, but I use a copy of the BMW TIS to back up DIY write-ups & videos.

As far as specialty tools, aside from the already-mentioned metrics & Torx, a set of metric hex head (male) bits – to include at least 8, 14, & 17 mm, IIRC – are needed. The 14 and/or 17 mm ones are needed for the transmission & diff plugs. And also a thin-walled 46-mm socket for (at least) the front hub nuts.

iPhone 5. Tapatalk 2. Aww yeeeah.

Oli77
01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Howdy Partner! Car looks great and you'll take good care of it based on the pictures of your prior work around the engine.

Hermes
01-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Also, the oil pan trap door was missing. I assume I can buy one of these at the dealer for a replacement?

I have not been able to find the right sized one yet, there are like 6 of them. It will just fall off again anyways...

Dave_B
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback on the tools guys.

I'll be sure to start acquiring them. And 46mm for hubs? WOW!!! I thought the 36mm for the oil filter was huge!

Hermes
01-21-2013, 01:56 PM
I think the crankshaft one is a weird size also... but you should never need to worry about that one.

Dave_B
01-21-2013, 03:53 PM
LOL; color name is on one of the shock towers (driver-side, I think). "Silbergrau" is "Silver Gray", a darker silver; "TiAg" is "Titanium Silver", a lighter silver (& coupes also got Sparkling Graphite, which is a much darker gray).

Dunno who painted this car, but they can't spell Silver... :P

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/2EBDE234-4B32-402A-A194-DD9D68EF5597-20464-00000BCF49855CAD.jpg

danewilson77
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Dunno who painted this car, but they can't spell Silver... :P

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/2EBDE234-4B32-402A-A194-DD9D68EF5597-20464-00000BCF49855CAD.jpg

:rofl

Torxuvin
01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Lol. Silly germans. Welcome. TiAg is a solid color. Great for hiding dirt. :biggrin

Dave_B
01-23-2013, 06:11 PM
remove CDV, worth it?

Torxuvin
01-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Are you used to a manual transmission? If so, then yes.

Dave_B
01-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Haven't had an auto in about 15 years. :)

wertyu78
01-24-2013, 06:00 AM
CDV delete allowed me to rev match significantly easier. Having dual mass clutch still sucks IMO. I cannot wait to ditch it for a single mass and lightweight flywheel combination.

Dave_B
01-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Well guys, I knew it wouldn't be long, but didn't expect it to be this quick either...

I've got a coolant leak. :( On the surface it appears to be the expansion tank. I fired up the car to move it back into the garage from the driveway. Coolant light came on. I read not a biggie if it goes right back out (and yes, it's low 30's outside) I had enough time to go to another car I was moving and back to the bimmer to see the light out.

Not phased, I moved the cars around. Then I notice a very very small puddle. About half of a dollar bill, length wise (driveway is not level). I turned the car off in the garage and looked superficially. Under the expansion tank is moisture that was not there when I bought the car.

History:

Car has 141k on it. AFAIK the Cooling system has NEVER been done on this car.

Who has the current best deals on the cooling system package? I'd like to find out which specifics need to be OEM (fitment and longevity) and which can be aftermarket. I assume Expansion Tank OEM/BMW due to fitment, hoses can be OE, belts OE. Water pump I've heard Stewardt or OEM equivalent. I'm of the opinion I don't mind replacing every 60k so Stewardt is probably out there. Also, I'd like to do all the idler/pulleys since I have a slight noise on cold start up until the car warms up completely.

Thanks for the input. I'm sure this info is out there, but I'm curious what is the up to date thoughts.

danewilson77
01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Best deal wise...not sure. I got mine from ECSTuning. Def don't wanna cheap out too, too much.

Dave_B
01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
No sir, don't want to cheap at all really. I'm looking at ECS now. I think Pelican has a package as well. Tischer still have any packages?

Also, what level is recommended? They have 1, 2 and 3.

danewilson77
01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
I went with level II then picked up a Behr radiator.

You could do level I with a rad.

Of just level I, no rad, if mileage is low.

Dave_B
01-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Mileage is 141k with no known replacements by either PO's.

I don't mind doing more if it's warranted or provides the rest easy feeling. Just wasn't sure if stage 3 with all BMW parts was necessary, or if I can bet away with level 2 with some additional bits and pieces.

Most recent PO had it at 68k. He mentioned never having the system done.

Hermes
01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
what you should get is OE expansion tank, OE train station, OEM radiator (Behr), OEM upper/lower hoses, OE temp sensor, OEM t-stat (Behr), Stewart water pump, OEM belts (ContiTech), OEM idler/tensioners, upgraded pulleys (don't get the stock plastic ones)

all the other stuff is part of the system but not 'necessary' to replace

Dave_B
01-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks Hermes.

I'll likely pass on the WP for the OEM one due to the frequency I'll be working on this car. if I have it another 60k, it'd be the first car I've owned and put that many miles on. :) I'm a little horrible and get bored easily I suppose.

When you say upgraded pulleys, you mean like the ones ECS has in their kits? Are they underdrive? Stock? Is underdrive recommended?

What is a Train Station? I've not seen that term used.

Dave_B
01-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Looks like Tischer is having a sale. Will still need to purchase some other items like idlers and belts.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/shoppingcart/index.cfm?action=viewCart&siteid=214672&showheader=true&retVal=%2Fpartlocator%2Findex%2Ecfm%3Faction%3DAcc essoryCatalog%26siteid%3D214672%26catalogid%3D4462 %26categoryid%3D181393%26subcat1%3D181433%26subcat 2%3D%26subcat3%3D%26subcat4%3D%26subcat5%3D

danewilson77
01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Looks like Tischer is having a sale. Will still need to purchase some other items like idlers and belts.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/shoppingcart/index.cfm?action=viewCart&siteid=214672&showheader=true&retVal=%2Fpartlocator%2Findex%2Ecfm%3Faction%3DAcc essoryCatalog%26siteid%3D214672%26catalogid%3D4462 %26categoryid%3D181393%26subcat1%3D181433%26subcat 2%3D%26subcat3%3D%26subcat4%3D%26subcat5%3D

BOLD = train station?

Hermes
01-27-2013, 10:15 PM
"train station" is a term I use kinda like how Dane calls the front wheel well plastic liner a "pork chop."

Officially it is known as the Expansion Tank Mounting Plate (17111436250)
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/40233_x600.jpg

with upgraded pulleys it's up to you. You can merely get metal ones that are the same size like what you see on ECS, or get the underdrive ones like many of us have which free up power by slowing down accessory speeds. They are nice but not necessary. If you replace the pulleys with metal ones you will never need to buy new pulleys again. If you don't, prepare to buy new plastic ones every 60k miles. I upgraded my water pump to the Stewart because it is 20% more efficient than the stock one, has a metal (not plastic) impeller, and has a lifetime warranty.

edit: now that I think about it the PS pump might have a metal pulley... can't remember

danewilson77
01-28-2013, 05:12 AM
Ahhhh.....Train Station = Exp Tank Bracket.

Dave_B
01-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks guys. Since Tischer kit doesn't have idlers and such, do I need to go OEM on those, or OE?

danewilson77
01-28-2013, 05:22 AM
What "kit"? Cooling kit?

Dave_B
01-28-2013, 06:34 AM
D-Dub, it's on the previous page. They have it on sale right now for $335.

OEM BMW E46 3 Series Cooling System Repair Kit
OEM BMW E46 3 Series (non M) Cooling System Repair Kit. New E46 M3 Cooling Kits now available!

Kit includes genuine BMW:

Thermostat w/ housing/gasket (11537509227)
Waterpump (11517527910)
Upper radiator hose (17127510952)
Lower radiator hose (11531436408)
Expansion Tank (17117573781)
Radiator Cap (17111742231)
Engine drain plug crush ring (07119963200)
Lower hose temp sensor (13621433077)
1 gallon BMW antifreeze (82141467704)
Optional:

Trans thermostat (17111437362)
E46 M3 kit includes genuine BMW:

Waterpump (11517838159)
Thermostat (11531318274)
Upper & Lower Hoses (11537830716, 11537830715)
Radiator (17102228941)
Hose clamps, gaskets, & o-rings
Optional BMW antifreeze (82141467704)

danewilson77
01-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Yep. Gotta get pulley's and belts seperate.

I purchased Conti belts, Gen BMW AC Pulley, and deflection pulley, and went with the I-N-A hydraulic pulley tensioner kit.

Dave_B
01-28-2013, 07:48 AM
$335 for that "kit" seem reasonable? I know I want genuine expansion tank for sure.

Anything else besides the belts/pulleys and tensioner I need to be concerned with while I'm there?

danewilson77
01-28-2013, 08:00 AM
$335 for that "kit" seem reasonable? I know I want genuine expansion tank for sure.

Anything else besides the belts/pulleys and tensioner I need to be concerned with while I'm there?

Doesn't seem to be bad. Have checked fcpeuro?

Make sure you have correct tools for this.

Dave_B
01-28-2013, 08:04 AM
I have not. Is that another online parts place?

I do also need to read up on the DIY. I have most of the tools, but I'm sure I'm missing some torx along the way.

danewilson77
01-28-2013, 08:08 AM
I have not. Is that another online parts place?

I do also need to read up on the DIY. I have most of the tools, but I'm sure I'm missing some torx along the way.

Yeah, you need a big Torx for the hydraulic tensioner. T-40 or 45. Everything else is basic. Remember to get your gallon of distilled water and gallon of coolant. Your ac tensioner may require a large Torx as well.

Dave_B
01-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Cool. I'll just pony up and get a new Torx set of sockets.

Will def. get the distilled water as well and mix 50/50

I looked at that other Euro parts site. I think I'll stick with the Tischer kit since it's OEM and I don't have anything to worry about that way.

Thanks for all the input. DIY/Write-Up and what not to come soon.

danewilson77
01-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Nice. GL.

Hermes
01-29-2013, 08:27 AM
do you have a ratchet like this?

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/images/j158a.jpg

or

http://imageserver.grainger.com/is/image/Grainger/5TZC7_AS01?$productdetail$

you're gonna need it to remove the block drain plug, it's pretty hard to get in there

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/812E5ED6-845E-4D00-A2E1-6E98404BE7BD-2646-0000027F701F562A.jpg

Dave_B
01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
I do have swivel sockets and plenty of extensions that should let me get to that plug.

Tlandreth22
01-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Great to see another zhp from the upstate! I believe I saw your zhp at Cars and Coffee parked next to the black Porsche? Btw, my name is Tyler and I'm from the Furman area, so if you need a hand, feel free to give me a call at 864-430-zero46zero!

Ryans323i
01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
^Welcome Tyler. Please introduce yourself in the New Members Section (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?9-New-Members-(or-older-members-who-have-not-introduced-themselves)).

Imola.ZHP
01-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Welcome! Great intro!

I had a '96 Integra SE, a '94 GS-R and a 2002 RSX-S. As well as a lot of other Honda's... Great cars! But, like you, I reached a point in my life (7 years ago) when I wanted a more "grown up" car. You made a great choice!

Dave_B
02-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Well guys, so I was trying to be nice to the wife this morning and warm up the car for her to run some errands.

Yeah, not so much until this is addressed:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/24DEF975-6F43-4091-ADF1-F6EFD1B6CA2A-7640-000002A859CB4D0A_zpsfecb5fa1.jpg

danewilson77
02-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Well guys, so I was trying to be nice to the wife this morning and warm up the car for her to run some errands.

Yeah, not so much until this is addressed:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/24DEF975-6F43-4091-ADF1-F6EFD1B6CA2A-7640-000002A859CB4D0A_zpsfecb5fa1.jpg

Coolant?

Dave_B
02-02-2013, 07:30 AM
"yes" and I put it in quotes since I don't see any coolant in it...

WOLFN8TR
02-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Welcome Dave!

Hey ECSTuning has the trap door that you need for around $5. Also the BMW tranny oil definitely isn't life time. Maybe life time of the warranty. I changed mine at 100K and it was Nasty! The car shifts so much better now also.

Dave_B
02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Good to know on the trans oil. I'll add that to the list when I do the cooling here in a weekend or 2...

Dave_B
02-05-2013, 05:27 PM
And so it begins...

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/89AA36CB-A036-4871-98C4-5C52699BDD2F-11822-0000045BBC84A8F7_zps50c08116.jpg

Parts will be here Thursday. This is just prep and time savings.

Dave_B
02-06-2013, 07:04 PM
How do you guys NOT get showered with coolant when draining the block?

I thought, I'll be creative and use my tubing from my wet vac. No brainer, right?

WRONG.

Parts should be here tomorrow. Def have the 2 idler/tensioner near alternator are def. bad with bearing noise that I had been hearing at start up.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/05B6D5D2-F867-482C-BD1F-A413537B5F04-13063-000004DCFC9731AD_zps3a65a3c7.jpg

wertyu78
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
How do you guys NOT get showered with coolant when draining the block?

I thought, I'll be creative and use my tubing from my wet vac. No brainer, right?

WRONG.

Parts should be here tomorrow. Def have the 2 idler/tensioner near alternator are def. bad with bearing noise that I had been hearing at start up.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/05B6D5D2-F867-482C-BD1F-A413537B5F04-13063-000004DCFC9731AD_zps3a65a3c7.jpg

Awesome! Cannot wait until you get it all caught up on maintenance! Then you can start modifying!

Dave_B
02-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Cooling system refresh now completed.

WOW, what a chore! Much worse than working on Honda's that I'm used to, but a great learning experience.

Lessons learned, that #%)(&#%&#$ heater hose at the back of the head near the firewall can suck it. (1.5 hours spent on this ALONE!!!!)

Having good variety of tools certainly helps

All in all, I'm happy. No leaks and bled the system a few times to get the air out and the heat works just fine.

Next up, oil leaks/seals/gaskets, Vanos rebuild of seals and Anti-rattle kit, trans fluid refill, diff refill.

And the wife gave me an early Valentines present... Aux port cable. :P

aurelius
02-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Also, my car ALWAYS beeps with the drivers door open when the key is out of it. No clue why. Key? Yep, it's shot. I'm going to be ordering a new one, then cutting this one open and replacing the VL-2020 battery and hoping for the best. Worst case it's a good manual second key for the wife.

With any suspected key issues, it's worth having a look around this guy's site, especially the "wall of shame." http://www.bmwgm5.com/

Optional:
Trans thermostat (17111437362)

Looks like you figured this out but the part noted above is only for models with automatic transmission.

On the topic of cooling systems, another (kinda pricey but nice) part I added to my own list is the new aluminum 1.2 bar ET cap from German Auto Solutions (http://germanautosolutions.com/). As noted elsewhere, those guys also have a CCV solution in the works, therefore you may want to hold off on that until they start selling whatever it is they're working on. Their DISA repair kit is also excellent and worth doing. At your mileage and if the DISA appears to be original, consider their "Gold" version.

Dave_B
02-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the info Aurelius. I'll definitely look into those.

I too think the constant beeping is key related especially since my key is dead.

What is a 1.2 bar ET cap? Sounds boost related LOL since it says bar. I'm assuming it's not and more related to the CCV?

danewilson77
02-11-2013, 05:47 AM

WOW, what a chore! Much worse than working on Honda's that I'm used to, but a great learning experience.

Lessons learned, that #%)(&#%&#$ heater hose at the back of the head near the firewall can suck it. (1.5 hours spent on this ALONE!!!!)

Having good variety of tools certainly helps

All in all, I'm happy. No leaks and bled the system a few times to get the air out and the heat works just fine.

Next up, oil leaks/seals/gaskets, Vanos rebuild of seals and Anti-rattle kit, trans fluid refill, diff refill.

And the wife gave me an early Valentines present... Aux port cable. :P

Well done.

WOLFN8TR
02-11-2013, 07:21 AM
What is a 1.2 bar ET cap? Sounds boost related LOL since it says bar. I'm assuming it's not and more related to the CCV?

http://germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solutions/cooling_system/12_bar_coolant_cap/product_bmw_12_bar_cap.php

aurelius
02-11-2013, 09:31 AM

How was the condition of that particular hose upon removal? Was it the source of your leak? Asking because I've never heard of replacing that hose in the E46 on a preventive basis. Being rubber and getting old, of course it wouldn't hurt (the car) to do so although it seems the personal pain threshold was well exceeded.

Imola.ZHP
02-11-2013, 10:57 AM
I bought that hose when I did my overhaul... It didn't get replaced...

Dave_B
02-11-2013, 11:52 AM
How was the condition of that particular hose upon removal? Was it the source of your leak? Asking because I've never heard of replacing that hose in the E46 on a preventive basis. Being rubber and getting old, of course it wouldn't hurt (the car) to do so although it seems the personal pain threshold was well exceeded.

My brother got stranded in his for 6 hours.

It was one of those, car is 10 years old, 141k miles and figured I might as well just get it done.

Yes, I too thought about giving up with the pain threshold. I did however, prevail.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/00h2itr/62836ACE-03B9-4162-8391-B1C5565FBB83-18876-000007E81245BD4F_zps9497764e.jpg

So any benefit with those aluminum expansion tank caps?

aurelius
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
See link to product description above. They make a pretty good argument for running a lower pressure cap. In your case, with all new plastic parts, there's certainly no rush but they are offering a pkg deal on cap + DISA repair kit. Tho as noted previously, you may want to go for their Gold DISA (all new unit retrofitted with their reinforced parts).

I installed the repair kit at first sign of DISA rattle (~65k mis). Short version of which is the rattle comes from the flap pin loosening. Once broken free, the pin can get sucked into the motor. All of which is detailed in their product description.

The way to know if you have DISA rattle is, well, to listen for a rattle. Confirm whether DISA-related by unplugging connector from DISA while engine is running. Rattle will go away while disconnected.

Dave_B
02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'll def. look into that.

I currently do NOT have a rattle there. But I'm all for not replacing a motor due to a stupid thing like that.

Imola.ZHP
02-12-2013, 09:56 AM
My disa fell apart when I pulled it to get it out of the way to do other maintenance... I don't recall at what mileage, scary!