PDA

View Full Version : My ZHP broke my wallet earlier this week

dotslashapex
01-17-2013, 06:22 AM
So yah, I have a 04 ZHP coupe 6 speed silbergraumetallic.

I bought the car with ~60k miles 8 months ago and now the car has about 75k miles on it. When I first bought it I noticed a slight rattle from the VANOS unit, but was given to understand that that was normal. I paid no attention to it and ended up just driving the car as a daily and throwing it about some autocross courses here and there (not really all that heavily because my e36 is the dedicated autocross toy).

In recent times I noticed a considerable lag in power...Oil level was always full or near full, but I knew that this was the sign that the VANOS unit needed addressing.

I took the car into the shop and had them take a look at it who initially said since it's early enough, it could be possibly just be dealt with with a few new gaskets. After they opened it up though, they noticed scarring on the inside of the unit, so I had to get a remanufactured unit with new gears and gaskets which ran up quite the tab. Of course this also included a new valve cover gasket...

They also noticed that the thermostat housing was leaking...in fact there was a stalactite that formed and was rubbing against the fan belt..I have to have the tech send me that picture hahaha. In any case I had that replaced with a new unit along with a coolant flush.

I also had them change the oil with Motul 8100X full synthetic.

The car runs really a lot better, but I'm a little concerned that it's still rattling at lower RPMs. The car pulls very strongly throughout the entire RPM range and there's no hesitation, but is this normal? Do you guys have a slight rattle? I saw this and I guess I'm not the only one....it's very similar to how my car sounds before and after...The vid says that it's eliminated, but you still heal a bit of a rattle in there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2WArslGmpA

az3579
01-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Lots of E46's and other models have the VANOS rattle. It comes on around 2k and lasts up to a few k after that. Any revs beyond that you can't hear the rattle because the engine roars to life and overtakes it in sound.

The fix:
Ordering the Double VANOS repair kit from Beisan Systems. http://beisansystems.com/products.html
This replaces the rings that rattle inside the VANOS unit.

dotslashapex
01-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Cool I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going nuts. I had the shop tell that to me too...I guess my hear is just tuned to hear that. As I said the car pulls insanely better than before..even before I bought it so I'm happy!

danewilson77
01-17-2013, 07:02 AM
All E46's have the VANOS rattle.

Not true.

dotslashapex
01-17-2013, 07:04 AM
I guess although you remanufacture the unit, and don't replace the rings, perhaps that's what's rattling?

danewilson77
01-17-2013, 07:07 AM
I don't know what goes into official "remanufacture" of the unit, but at a minimum I would say it would involve replacing the piston seals.

The anti-rattle kit consists of slightly undersized spacers which take up the slop and mitigate the rattle.

Hermes
01-17-2013, 07:16 AM
I have the seals in my garage if you want them, you would just need to order the rattle kit

johnrando
01-17-2013, 08:48 AM
OP, you can fix the VANOS w/o fixing the rattle, which is what you (your shop) appears to have done. You can fix the rattle too as suggested with the Besian kit, but it won't hurt anything if you don't. Knock on wood, my car never got the rattle, but I do need to do my VANOS.

Oli77
01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
My 325 does not rattle.

Hermes
01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
My 325 does not rattle.

that's because you don't have the "upgraded camshafts" that cause the rattle to begin with. Regular 330's don't have the rattle either

dotslashapex
01-17-2013, 12:07 PM
thanks for the thoughts guys. As I said the car itself is running great..just that rattling is annoying. I don't want to have break the seal again..so maybe next time around

Mike V
01-17-2013, 12:46 PM
My zhp started to rattle right after I bought it, with just 22k miles on it. The Beisan kit works wonders. It was nice and quiet after the install.

az3579
01-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Not true.

My 325 does not rattle.

Well then let me rephrase to say that a ton of them do. Having someone say their engine rattles would warrant a "not surprised" response.

that's because you don't have the "upgraded camshafts" that cause the rattle to begin with. Regular 330's don't have the rattle either

That doesn't appear to matter. This issue affects a number of BMW engines with VANOS. My E30 with the S50 swap rattled as well. My ZHP rattles. A friend of mine with a 330i pre-facelift rattles. There are videos on YouTube of E46 328i's rattling. It's an unfortunate mess of mysterious rattling that just doesn't belong on a BMW.

Oli77
01-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Agree, I just thought the 325 was relatively immune to that and the 4K dip as well.

I guess time will tell.

az3579
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Agree, I just thought the 325 was relatively immune to that and the 4K dip as well.

I guess time will tell.

Oddly enough, there were no YouTube video hits on 325i rattle. You might have found the only model that's immune. :biggrin