PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning and My ZHP

echo46
01-17-2013, 05:32 AM
Was up early to go to the pool for a swim. Now, maybe it was that first cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee that was coursing through my veins, maybe it was the fact that I had the road all to myself for a few precious moments, maybe the stars and planets were perfectly aligned, maybe the e46 Gods were smiling down on my orient blue ZHP, I'm not sure but for a few moments this morning my whip was perfect. The in line six hummed its mellifluous song and that incredible chasis held me and the road just right. Man, I was so happy to own this car.

midlandtech
01-17-2013, 05:57 AM
Was?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

echo46
01-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Correction--"am"

danewilson77
01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
:happydane

echo46
01-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Indeed, DW, that was exactly what I looked like this morning.

CERF04ZHP
01-17-2013, 06:29 AM
I have these moments... probably on a monthly basis. Love it!

az3579
01-17-2013, 06:32 AM
I have this moment every time I drive.
(Then again, I can also be satisfied driving this car slow, so it doesn't take much :biggrin)

midlandtech
01-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Correction--"am"

=)

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrando
01-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Ah yeah!

illirep
01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
I had the same feeling last week on my way to work. Just a normal Tuesday, but the commute into Princeton was not nearly as congested as it typically is. I was able to drive spiritedly - enjoying the hills and turns of the backroads that I take into town. I got to work and felt the need to utter some variation of the following words to my colleague: "the ZHP is just the perfect car - everything a driving enthusiast can ask for".

I've owned many e46's over the years, including several ZHP's. I've always found a reason to 'upgrade' (though I now know that was not the case) to newer / faster / more economical, etc...I've had a few e90's in 328i and 335i trim, 135i convertible, even an e39 M5. Each time I found myself regretting, almost instantly, the fact that I was no longer driving a ZHP. The one I've landed two months ago is here to stay for good!

My next dilemma is that I feel guilty racking up commuter miles on a relatively low mileage (60k) pristine ZHP. Trying to justify a cheap daily driver, especially for bad weather. However, the reality is, I'd probably want to drive the ZHP every day...

BRGcoopahS
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
I've been racking miles too. I just love driving the thing. 67k now

zhpnsnv
01-17-2013, 01:44 PM
I had the same feeling last week on my way to work. Just a normal Tuesday, but the commute into Princeton was not nearly as congested as it typically is. I was able to drive spiritedly - enjoying the hills and turns of the backroads that I take into town. I got to work and felt the need to utter some variation of the following words to my colleague: "the ZHP is just the perfect car - everything a driving enthusiast can ask for".

I've owned many e46's over the years, including several ZHP's. I've always found a reason to 'upgrade' (though I now know that was not the case) to newer / faster / more economical, etc...I've had a few e90's in 328i and 335i trim, 135i convertible, even an e39 M5. Each time I found myself regretting, almost instantly, the fact that I was no longer driving a ZHP. The one I've landed two months ago is here to stay for good!

My next dilemma is that I feel guilty racking up commuter miles on a relatively low mileage (60k) pristine ZHP. Trying to justify a cheap daily driver, especially for bad weather. However, the reality is, I'd probably want to drive the ZHP every day...

True - ZHP is meant to be driven. There could always be an excuse not to drive it or to have another car to pull the difficult duty it's capable of pulling.

Which roads into Princeton? I probably know them well...

Can't say I've had this "moment" yet with my car. These moments come for me with windows down, sunroof open, and SUMMER tires on. Typically at night or dusk. Never in the early morning - too groggy.

danewilson77
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
^Agree

echo46
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Yea, it's funny, I was thinking the same thing about not driving it, babying it etc. I've come to the conclusion that these cars cry out to be driven and driven and driven. I will accomodate.

BRGcoopahS
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
How many of you guys admit to taking the "long" way home. I do this nearly every time. Sometimes it's not even the long way, it's just a ridiculously out of the way route home, most of the time going away from home.

echo46
01-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Sometimes I tell wifey I'm going down the street to the 7/11 and end up going 30 miles in the opposite direction to get there.

Newjack
01-17-2013, 03:30 PM
How many of you guys admit to taking the "long" way home. I do this nearly every time. Sometimes it's not even the long way, it's just a ridiculously out of the way route home, most of the time going away from home.

Every once in a while I will do this. Usually it's when I gave my "moment" with the car. When it is shifting smooth as butter and sounds magnificent. L
As stated in an earlier post, this happens to me about once a month. Favorite part about owning the car.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

midlandtech
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM

very very often

zhpnsnv
01-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Haha yes! Especially trying to reach the break in threshold!

kayger12
01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Was up early to go to the pool for a swim. Now, maybe it was that first cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee that was coursing through my veins, maybe it was the fact that I had the road all to myself for a few precious moments, maybe the stars and planets were perfectly aligned, maybe the e46 Gods were smiling down on my orient blue ZHP, I'm not sure but for a few moments this morning my whip was perfect. The in line six hummed its mellifluous song and that incredible chasis held me and the road just right. Man, I was so happy to own this car.

Love everything about this post and thread.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

az3579
01-17-2013, 05:10 PM

Before gas prices starting going up sharply over $3.60 or so a gallon, I used to drive the stupendously long way home every Friday after work as a treat for surviving the work week (before I had my ZHP - I had an E30). Then gas starting going up and this didn't happen anymore, so instead I'd go out for that stupendously long drive maybe once a month or so. Unfortunately now, that doesn't happen anymore either. I guess it's a darned good thing that I save my pennies for track events and autox. :)

johnrando
01-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Used to do this a lot, especially when I was away from my car on a trip or something. Nowadays still more so when I've been away, but it's tougher to go out of my way these days with kids, etc. Still try when I can... I'm with you in spirit though!

cakM3
01-18-2013, 03:28 AM
Enjoyed reading this thread today ;)

I have moments of Zen so to speak every time I take my ///M out but soon with my UUC TSE3 Corsa exhaust, I will experience that "Zen" moment pretty much on a daily basis :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

echo46
01-18-2013, 04:16 AM
The ZHP is just right.

zhpnsnv
01-18-2013, 04:31 AM
Went to a CCA Chapter meeting last night. Driving a stupid E90 328i x-drive (to me, just a terrible car) loaner, I pulled in right next to the doppelganger of my old car. Made me miss it :(

Definitely walked around the car, checked it out, cruised down memory lane.

Daddyoh
01-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Love everything about this post and thread.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

Yes...

kayger12
01-18-2013, 05:10 AM
Made me miss it :(

Good thing Coral Red is like chromatic prozac...

Washburn
01-18-2013, 08:41 AM
My next dilemma is that I feel guilty racking up commuter miles on a relatively low mileage (60k) pristine ZHP. .
I also have this problem with my 38k ZHP :) that's why I have a beater-status but lovingly cared for '97 Tbird for commuting to work on week days, and other misc drives which involve bad weather/traffic...

alexandre
01-18-2013, 08:48 AM
I also have this problem with my 38k ZHP :) that's why I have a beater-status but lovingly cared for '97 Tbird for commuting to work on week days, and other misc drives which involve bad weather/traffic...

I bought a 200k mi car just to have no reason to not do a long drive... Almost no depreciation = win :biggrin

az3579
01-18-2013, 12:30 PM
I bought a 200k mi car just to have no reason to not do a long drive... Almost no depreciation = win :biggrin

This. I bought my ZHP with relatively low miles at the time (2.5 years ago with 75k miles) because I knew I'd be putting 30-35k on it a year. I wanted it to stay young for a year longer than if I bought one with more mileage. At 148k now, I no longer worry about putting on mileage because it's past the point of being desirable, so now the driving can continue worry-free. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

Mike V
01-18-2013, 03:30 PM

I've done this ever since I started driving 24 years ago, even when my car was a 1977 VW Rabbit. :) I'll have to admit that when I bought the Pontiac version of a 'Vette, there weren't many out of the way trips going on. Back then it was something reliable to drive to work, which the Rabbit absolutely was not haha.

Imola.ZHP
01-18-2013, 11:49 PM
I love it, probably about mid fall, when the temperature starts to dip into the 60's in the evenings/mornings... It's amazing how much more power the car makes when breathing in cooler more dense air...

Thanks for sharing!