PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get stock suspension components?

yura
01-14-2013, 11:43 AM
I have a feeling my rear suspension may be shot. Noticed today that the car is sitting a lot lower in the rear than it was before, and is rubbing over bumps. Haven't pulled the wheels off to take a look just yet (at work), but will tonight. Anyone know of any good deals on suspension components? I've got Bilstein PSS9 coilovers right now, but want to go back to a more comfortable, stock setup, with either ZHP or regular 330 components.

I know ECS Tuning had a promotion on ZHP parts a while back, but it doesn't seem like they have anything now... Any other suggestions?

nk_zhp
01-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Koni FSDs are the way to go. They combine all the benefits for stock softness when needed but adapts to the frequency of the vertical wheel travel to differentiate between road imperfections vs nature compression as a result of centrifugal forces during turning.

yura
01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Heard good things about the FSDs before. Looks like the cheapest option is ~$640 @ Mod Bargains (no springs, would keep current). Are there any better deals?

yura
01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Are there any cheaper alternatives? I don't plan on keeping this car much longer, so I'm hesitant to spend much money on it. Keeping stock height and comfort is pretty much the only requirement.

Avetiso
01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
eBay, Craigslist, or try some salvage yards. Getting stock ZHP parts is a pain in the ass. Anything that was ZHP specific I bought from a dealer when I was fixing my car. At least I have a decent discount.

danewilson77
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Are there any cheaper alternatives? I don't plan on keeping this car much longer, so I'm hesitant to spend much money on it. Keeping stock height and comfort is pretty much the only requirement.

What are you moving into?

yura
01-14-2013, 01:45 PM
What are you moving into?

I'm looking for something roomier, plusher, preferably auto, and with 4 doors. Practicality forcing my hand. :/

danewilson77
01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm looking for something roomier, plusher, preferably auto, and with 4 doors. Practicality forcing my hand. :/

Copy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

3ZHP
01-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Look at Tirerack, many options available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamezc88
01-14-2013, 05:20 PM
if youd like, i can pm you a bunch of stock suspension parts i have sitting in my garage. they have about 60k on them as i never swtiched back to oem after getting coils. pm me if you want the list of suspension parts.

youre a local too so i think itll work out pretty well if youre interested.

danewilson77
01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
if youd like, i can pm you a bunch of stock suspension parts i have sitting in my garage. they have about 60k on them as i never swtiched back to oem after getting coils. pm me if you want the list of suspension parts.

That's sounds like a plan.

LivesNearCostco
01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
I also have stock ZHP springs and fairly new stock rear shocks. However, I'm not local to you and my stock suspension stuff is buried deep in a storage locker in Southern California, so it would be at least a few weeks for me to find them.

yura
01-19-2013, 06:01 PM
So I had a closer look earlier this week, and the good news is that everything with my suspension is just fine. No visible issues anywhere. That said, I swear the car is sitting lower than it did before. The only thing I can think of is that one of the two tire shops my car has been in over the last ~month had messed with my coilover settings and lowered the rear.

I was at Discount Tire in Bellingham, WA (about a month ago), getting a set of 17" wheels & tires installed (drove in on 18's) and they're my likely suspect.

Anyways, the car does rub once in a while, so I'll be getting the rear adjusted to raise it up a bit (to stock height).

// edit - heck, just looking at the photo in my signature I can tell there's a huge difference between how the car sat on that set of 18's (and the same set of rubber) and these ones. Wheels are identical sizes, same set of rubber, no reason for the car to be rubbing...

Thanks for the offer. No need at this point, but I'll definitely keep this in mind!

Nomar06
01-20-2013, 07:33 AM
FCPEuro.com had a nice package on here for a refresh package. I think it was around $700...not sure on all the details. You could always send them out an email if you end up needing something for the car.

yura
01-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Had a look at the rear cool overs again and the height is pretty much maxed out. There is a few mm of adjustment room left, but my mechanic recommended against going up that far.

Sounds like a have a few options:
1. Leaves as is and deal with the occasional rubbing - it may "solve itself" as the tires wear down a bit.

2. Actually lower the car and introduce negative camber which would add the necessary clearance, but decrease comfort. Not ideal.

3. Get fenders rolled. Always a risk of paint cracking...

4. See if I can get a few mm shaved off the wheels to decrease the offset.

Will have to look into 4 and 3 next weekend...

danewilson77
01-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Roll fenders.