PDA

View Full Version : Stock E46 Fog Lights

JKO_ZHP
12-23-2012, 12:23 AM
To my understanding, is it true that our fog lights use the ZKW bowls? And that they burn out after a while?

I replaced mine with projectors and got a 35W HID kit with H1 bulbs two weeks after getting tired of the same weak, yellow light output characteristic of old stock bulbs. I still have mine, and they hadn't been out of the box in about half a year until now and I just noticed for the first time that the bowls look burnt (or could it be rust?).

I had no idea they did this; I had replaced them purely because I'm addicted to HID/LEDs, not to avoid them burning out one day, eventually.

Has anyone kept their stock fog lights and gotten around this problem or is it normal to be burned?

http://oi47.tinypic.com/24ybxmx.jpg

http://oi48.tinypic.com/ic5vmx.jpg

Hermes
12-23-2012, 12:30 AM
HID's should not be installed in stock fog lights. If you want to run high intensity then you should buy projector fogs.

/thread

JKO_ZHP
12-23-2012, 12:33 AM
HID's should not be installed in stock fog lights. If you want to run high intensity then you should buy projector fogs.

/thread

"I replaced mine with projectors and got a 35W HID kit with H1 bulbs" - me :)

I'm asking about the stock/factory fog lights in its entirety; I only noted that I swapped them out because I wanted them done the right way.
I know what you mean......some people around here toss in an HID kit into their halogens and blind the F out of incoming traffic. :facepalm

Hermes
12-23-2012, 12:38 AM
I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I'm picky when it comes to lighting. If I have a high powered lighting setup I want a clear beam with a nice cutoff. A projector fog housing is less than $100 and looks cool.

My plan in the long run is to buy some mini-Bosch projectors and retrofit them into some M3 fogs (the ones with no fluting on the lens)

JKO_ZHP
12-23-2012, 12:48 AM
I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I'm picky when it comes to lighting. If I have a high powered lighting setup I want a clear beam with a nice cutoff. A projector fog housing is less than $100 and looks cool.

My plan in the long run is to buy some mini-Bosch projectors and retrofit them into some M3 fogs (the ones with no fluting on the lens)

Wait, I'm a little confused now......
I'm saying that I currently already have projector fog lights installed, but I'm asking why the stock ones that I originally had on look so burnt and/or rusted haha

But mini-Bosch? I'm going to look into those right now.....would love to have added output out of the fog lights.

Hermes
12-23-2012, 12:56 AM
ok... I was confused also. I thought you installed the bulbs in your ZKW's. In order to see if the are "burned" you actually need to take them apart and see what the inside of the reflector looks like. I honestly doubt a halogen bulb will burn the main reflector, you're just looking at the backside that has been exposed to the weather for 6-8 years. The issue with ZKW's is when you run them for years with a HID bulb, that is what burns them.

So which projector fogs did you buy, the Khoalty ones?

As for the mini-Bosch, I haven't actually got around to seeing if it would work but they are my current guess as to a probable system that can be modified to work for the setup on our cars. I started thinking about this over a year ago but have never got to that project.

JKO_ZHP
12-23-2012, 01:15 AM
ok... I was confused also. I thought you installed the bulbs in your ZKW's. In order to see if the are "burned" you actually need to take them apart and see what the inside of the reflector looks like. I honestly doubt a halogen bulb will burn the main reflector, you're just looking at the backside that has been exposed to the weather for 6-8 years. The issue with ZKW's is when you run them for years with a HID bulb, that is what burns them.

So which projector fogs did you buy, the Khoalty ones?

As for the mini-Bosch, I haven't actually got around to seeing if it would work but they are my current guess as to a probable system that can be modified to work for the setup on our cars. I started thinking about this over a year ago but have never got to that project.

I'm going to say that it's just rusted then. Without even taking anything out, it's obvious that the reflector bowls themselves are uniform/silver all throughout and have no discolored spots.

And yes the projector fogs I have now are the Khoalty ones. Unless it actually costs less, I'd say getting them from Khoalty along with a 35W (or 55W) kit would be more efficient and save more $$$ than getting genuine Bosch projectors...

az3579
12-23-2012, 07:28 AM

/thread

Is this an opinion?

My HID fogs in my halogen housing have been fine for the few years it's been in the car. The exceptional case is the ballast, which cuts out sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the housing.

nike001
12-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Is this an opinion?

My HID fogs in my halogen housing have been fine for the few years it's been in the car. The exceptional case is the ballast, which cuts out sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the housing.

It's kind of a rule of thumb to not do it in ANY reflector housings. That being said, I run 5k 35w HID's in my fogs. Because rural areas.

I don't run them when it's raining or if it's wet out.. that produces a lot more glare. I use them only when I need the added output. I've driven in front of my car with my lows + fogs on and I had 0 displeasure. My lows were more of a problem... they're aimed a bit too high.

Washburn
12-23-2012, 12:19 PM
nike001:
So you use stock housings and just use thos different bulbs? where does one buy those 5k 35w HID's?

nike001
12-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah I just threw the hid kit in there.

I got my kit from DDM. Took a whole for it to get to me but all is well. I had 3k bulbs first and then switched to 5k to match my angel eyes. Ballasts are over a year and a half old and still kickin

Washburn
12-23-2012, 12:52 PM
oh so it's a whole kit. eh? not just 2 bulbs ? any wiring etc involved?

JKO_ZHP
12-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Since it's fog lights I won't gripe about it. But it's a definite no-no to have HIDs in halogen HEADLIGHT housings. Too many times......I've been blinded by oncoming traffic with HIDs that shoot light off in all directions. Annoying AF.

When that happens at a stoplight and a car with this setup is facing me across the intersection, I highbeam them right back. The second I push the turn signal lever forward and the projectors angle up, their facial expression becomes priceless.
Yes I know this is not a good move but I'm tired of being literally blinded by these idiots.
And now that I've got CBI's in my arsenal....:mwah

az3579
12-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Yeah, a no-no to have HIDs in headlight housings, I agree. But why do you say it's a no-no in halogen foglight housings? Fog lights can't possibly blind anyone unless they are horribly aimed. (I don't know if you can even aim them)

Pretty much I want to know why my setup is wrong if that's the case.

nike001
12-24-2012, 09:09 AM
It's a no no because no matter what, the bulbs are still reflecting oddly around in the housing.. And throwing more light upwards. It's not that big of a deal. Just don't have them on in really wet conditions where reflectiveness is much higher and blinds more.

oh so it's a whole kit. eh? not just 2 bulbs ? any wiring etc involved?

Nope. Take fog light connection, plug it into the ballast. Take headlight wires and plug them into the ballast (that's how my bulbs are. They're bulbs with wires attached already) Then put the bulbs in the fogs and you're good. Easy job.

az3579
12-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Mine isn't anywhere near blinding. If that's the only reason, then good; I have nothing to worry about. Thanks.