PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget to run your AC

edlvrt
12-20-2012, 10:28 AM
To my brothers and sisters up north, don't forget to run your AC compressor a few times a month. I've been told that it is good to circulate the refrigerant and oil as it helps prevent the o rings and seals from drying up/cracking. Drive on!

webster
12-20-2012, 10:39 AM
good reminder, i almost never run my AC...

Torxuvin
12-20-2012, 10:57 AM
good reminder, i almost never run my AC...

+1. Will do. I bet that's why the compressor went out on my corvette... :(

BRGcoopahS
12-20-2012, 01:12 PM
In the MINI I might as well have forgotten how to even use it. I never used it. Car ran like a dog in 90 degree weather with it on.

kayger12
12-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Definitely a good reminder.

Crickett
12-20-2012, 04:50 PM
After flying the T-6B that has an AC that's permanently on, I stopped thinking about AC as a "cold air maker" & more as a "dry air maker". It seriously makes a difference in the winter when trying to defog your windows to have your HVAC dry the air via AC first then heat it via temp settings. My $0.02. :thumbsup

(Of course now that I've moved to the friggin' Southwest where there isn't a single drop of water in 6 to 9 cubic miles of air, it makes little difference so I haven't had it on in months. I'll give it some exercise.)

az3579
12-20-2012, 06:08 PM
I run my climate control in auto all the time. The button for the AC is always lit. I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the car cycles the AC compressor on occasion all on its own when left in auto...

JupiterBMW
12-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Typically, most cars run the AC compressor for dehumidification when the climate control settings are placed into 'defrost' mode. So, this shouldn't be a problem as the Northerners will most likely be using defrost to keep the windows clear!

For me, it was 78 degrees today, I used the AC to cool me off... :biggrin

johnrando
12-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I almost never run my a/c, but the few times I have to defrost the windows it switches the a/c on fortunately. Otherwise, great advice looking out for us!

UdubBadger
12-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Mines on 24/7/365

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Johal E32
12-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I never use the A/c on a regular basis. But I do try to run it every week or so for a few minutes to keep the system in order.

JKO_ZHP
12-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Both this 330Ci and the 325Ci before it was as simple electronic-wise as it could get. I didn't want nav, cold weather package, heated seats - nothing. Although the multiple CD-player in the trunk would've been good (both didn't/don't have it, only single CD).

One thing I like is having a car that doesn't feel like driving a computer. I read somewhere that in Germany, cup holders weren't standard in any BMWs (or even other carmakers I believe). They were confused why American cars had them. Something about them regarding driving as THE sole activity and nothing should distract your attention away from it.

I like both. Keeping it simple with as little electronics as possible and even though this one has power seats, I still try not to use it too much. Besides the CD player and radio and the motor for the windows, I don't use anything else. Have NEVER used cruise control on this E46 or even the previous one (I don't even know how to and even if I did, still wouldn't use it). Rarely use the windshield wiper sprayers although I do keep the water reservoir full to avoid any lights on the dash. Side mirror adjustment switch is always set to passenger so it doesn't tilt when backing up.

Replaced almost every bulb inside & outside of the ZHP with LEDs to prolong life and conserve power (heard that stock ambers burn more electricity). Did it mainly for the looks but also this reason.

But will definitely remember this and use the AC periodically.
P.S. Is this common or am I just crazy? :shift

Lespaulman16
12-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Best for longevity to run it all the time.

Sent from an over-glorified pager

llll1l1ll
12-21-2012, 06:44 AM
Wait, the defroster automatically cycles the a/c? I did not know that!

Now I'm not so worried. I turned off the a/c starting late October.

johnrando
12-21-2012, 07:28 AM
JKO, I recall driving my first BMW in the 80s and wondering where the hell all the stuff was! LOL. They were so spartan. So, yeah, you're right - it was all about no distractions for the drivers, pure automotive engineering, and less stuff to make/break. There was so much pressure put on them by the US market complaining about all the wonderful bells and whistles that Japanese luxury cars had (and for less money) that BMW finally had to begin to step up.

danewilson77
12-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Both this 330Ci and the 325Ci before it was as simple electronic-wise as it could get. I didn't want nav, cold weather package, heated seats - nothing. Although the multiple CD-player in the trunk would've been good (both didn't/don't have it, only single CD).

One thing I like is having a car that doesn't feel like driving a computer. I read somewhere that in Germany, cup holders weren't standard in any BMWs (or even other carmakers I believe). They were confused why American cars had them. Something about them regarding driving as THE sole activity and nothing should distract your attention away from it.

I like both. Keeping it simple with as little electronics as possible and even though this one has power seats, I still try not to use it too much. Besides the CD player and radio and the motor for the windows, I don't use anything else. Have NEVER used cruise control on this E46 or even the previous one (I don't even know how to and even if I did, still wouldn't use it). Rarely use the windshield wiper sprayers although I do keep the water reservoir full to avoid any lights on the dash. Side mirror adjustment switch is always set to passenger so it doesn't tilt when backing up.

Replaced almost every bulb inside & outside of the ZHP with LEDs to prolong life and conserve power (heard that stock ambers burn more electricity). Did it mainly for the looks but also this reason.

But will definitely remember this and use the AC periodically.
P.S. Is this common or am I just crazy? :shift

You surely have the euro-tray then, correct?

webster
12-21-2012, 12:37 PM
$10 says he has cupholders LOL

is there a certain time/setting the AC should run for it to cycle enough?

JKO_ZHP
12-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Of course I have cup holders LOL and I use them too, just saying, a feature as "primitive" as this was and still is pretty foreign to German-spec cars (or at least BMWs).

danewilson77
12-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Of course I have cup holders LOL and I use them too, just saying, a feature as "primitive" as this was and still is pretty foreign to German-spec cars (or at least BMWs).

You need euro-tray grasshopper.

JKO_ZHP
12-21-2012, 01:00 PM
You need euro-tray grasshopper.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/interior/interior_e46_euro_console_tray_installed_511670383 23_1.jpg

Think of all the things I can stash in there.....:drool

danewilson77
12-21-2012, 01:06 PM
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/interior/interior_e46_euro_console_tray_installed_511670383 23_1.jpg

Think of all the things I can stash in there.....:drool

Si Senor.