PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Indiana

mjweimer
12-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Greetings from a fellow BMW junkie.

So far I have enjoyed browsing around the site, reading some great stories, and finding a bunch of excellent information.

Currently we have two E46's and an E36 amongst a few other vehicles.

The E36 is an Alpine white/black '95 M3 that (I am sad to say) has not moved from its spot in the garage for far too long due to my endless need to pull it apart and tinker.

E46 #1 is an Alpine white/black '01 325iT with only three options (sport pack, xenons, and HK sound). Fun car that has its fair share of low key performance upgrades.

E46 #2 is an Estoril blue/black/black '05 330Cic ZHP. It is optioned fully but thankfully was spec'ed with a manual trans. Other than some clear bumper reflectors it is as it left the factory.

A good friend and I have been wrenching on all sorts of Bimmers for years and have had a great time along the way. Glad to be part of a larger group that seems to enjoy the same.

Matt

Torxuvin
12-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Estoril?! Love it. Can't wait to see pics. Welcome

M3TA5IN
12-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Welcome man, nice rides!

Sent from my fancy city machine.

MiniD
12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Estroil??

Pics!

johnrando
12-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Welcome. Pics please!

mjweimer
12-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Hello All,

I figured the Estoril ZHP would attract some attention. The background on the car is that it was a special order "Individual" car (sticker under the hood) that lived with the previous owner in the South for three years before we picked it up CPO.

Here are a couple of pictures of the cars. I do not have a real good pic of the ZHP handy at the moment but these should give you an idea.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q765/mjweimer/330CiC_zpsf8327e16.jpg

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q765/mjweimer/325iT_zps2d564a46.jpg

Somewhere I have more pictures of the ZHP but cannot find them at the moment. I will share more when I have the chance.

Matt

Marcus-SanDiego
12-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Welcome.

Avetiso
12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Welcome. Love the color.

danewilson77
12-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Welcome.

ryankokesh
12-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey! My home state! Howdy Hoosier buddy!!

Love love love the cars- can't wait for more zhp pics! :)

Oh, and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oli77
12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Hi Matt.

MiniD
12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Oh my gawd.

328ioc
12-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Welcome. Beautiful cars love the M3 just as much as the ZHP. I have family out in Indy its a nice area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GSEN820
12-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Welcome....Looks like you are little bit of a junkie to me.

Awesome line up.....

How do you pick which car to drive?

kayger12
12-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Welcome!

static667
12-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the Mafia!

Hermes
12-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Welcome Matt!

johnrando
12-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Welcome Matt!

I was wondering when we were going to get there. :biggrin

Lespaulman16
12-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Welcome Man! The Estoril looks great. What a rare find

Ryans323i
12-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Welcome! Great looking cars!

Vas
12-18-2012, 07:35 AM
More pictures please.

brettbimmer
12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Greetings! Beautiful fleet of Bimmers!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mjweimer
12-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Hello everyone and thank you for the warm welcome!

Here are a few more pictures from a while back when we picked up the car down South. Sorry I do not have more recent pics but the car is currently fairly dirty from recent rains and now my driveway is a mess (no place to wash cars) due to a construction project that just kicked off.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q765/mjweimer/2_zps8813aa6e.jpg

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q765/mjweimer/1_zpse43201c6.jpg

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q765/mjweimer/3_zpsdec52f93.jpg

One of these days I will get some better pictures and start a new thread.

Matt

danewilson77
12-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Mmm... Delish.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Johal E32
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
wow! Nice lineup of BMW's!

What suspension is on the touring? HR race? coilovers?

mjweimer
12-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Greetings fellow Touring owner!

I had been running H&R sports for a while but thought they were a bit too stiff so swapped them for a set of Eibach Pro-kit's. Otherwise I am running Bilstein sports, stock bars, ZHP control arms and 8mm Front/10mm Rear wheel spacers.

Other mods include BMW performance intake, exhaust and short shift, M3 strut bar, Conforti software and a stock E36 M3 clutch/flywheel.

Did you do the roof rail delete? I have the parts but have not had time to do the install. Curious if the headliner needs to be dropped to get at some of the fasteners or if it can all be done from outside the car.

imola red zhp
12-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the family.....

sent from Dennis' Personal Electronic Device

Johal E32
12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Greetings fellow Touring owner!

I had been running H&R sports for a while but thought they were a bit too stiff so swapped them for a set of Eibach Pro-kit's. Otherwise I am running Bilstein sports, stock bars, ZHP control arms and 8mm Front/10mm Rear wheel spacers.

Other mods include BMW performance intake, exhaust and short shift, M3 strut bar, Conforti software and a stock E36 M3 clutch/flywheel.

Did you do the roof rail delete? I have the parts but have not had time to do the install. Curious if the headliner needs to be dropped to get at some of the fasteners or if it can all be done from outside the car.

Whaaaa?!?! That is awesome! The headliner does NOT need to be dropped to remove the roof rails. You just undo the caps (you will see them on the inside of the rails) which there are three of them, and you undo the Torx bit.

I used electrical tape as a temporary cover for my holes of where the roof rails used to be. I plan on ordering the proper OEM delete kit in the next few weeks.

I guess I will go w/ the Eibach pro-kit as well! My h&r's barely lower my car, I think the PO installed the ones that were made for the non-sport model.

So, you have the touting converted to a single mass flywheel? How do you like it? Better than stock?

JupiterBMW
12-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Holy crap man, you have a gorgeous set of cars. I have to ask too, how do you decide which to drive?? Love them all, and that Estoril Blue is beautiful!

mjweimer
12-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Thank you for the info on the rail delete.

The Eibach's actually sit a little (just) taller than the H&R sport springs so you might not want them if you are looking for a lower stance. Do you know the p/n of the springs that are on your car? AFAIK there is only one proper part number for the Touring specific H&R spring set - 29419.

My clutch/flywheel is a stock E36 M3 set-up which is a dual mass/sprung hub disc vs. the stock dual mass/self adjusting - fixed hub disc. I could have used a lightweight flywheel made to work with the stock M3 clutch but ultimately decided I did not need a light flywheel. I did the conversion primarily to get rid of the poor feel of the self adjusting clutch and it did the trick but I am a little disappointed with the increased pedal effort - it is much heavier feeling - not bad but not quite to my liking.

If I were to do it again (and I might try this at some point to get better pedal feel), I would have sourced the Valeo single mass flywheel conversion kit that uses a steel single mass flywheel and sprung hub clutch - part number 52401220 if your curious.

Hope this helps.

Whaaaa?!?! That is awesome! The headliner does NOT need to be dropped to remove the roof rails. You just undo the caps (you will see them on the inside of the rails) which there are three of them, and you undo the Torx bit.

I used electrical tape as a temporary cover for my holes of where the roof rails used to be. I plan on ordering the proper OEM delete kit in the next few weeks.

I guess I will go w/ the Eibach pro-kit as well! My h&r's barely lower my car, I think the PO installed the ones that were made for the non-sport model.

So, you have the touting converted to a single mass flywheel? How do you like it? Better than stock?

mjweimer
12-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Ha! Well, the "boss" drives the ZHP most of the time since she loves convertibles...so I usually drive the Touring. Once I get the M3 back together I will definitely have a tougher time deciding what to drive.

Love the Alpine ZHP - would love to get my hands on one at some point.

Holy crap man, you have a gorgeous set of cars. I have to ask too, how do you decide which to drive?? Love them all, and that Estoril Blue is beautiful!

Johal E32
12-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Thank you for the info on the rail delete.

The Eibach's actually sit a little (just) taller than the H&R sport springs so you might not want them if you are looking for a lower stance. Do you know the p/n of the springs that are on your car? AFAIK there is only one proper part number for the Touring specific H&R spring set - 29419.

My clutch/flywheel is a stock E36 M3 set-up which is a dual mass/sprung hub disc vs. the stock dual mass/self adjusting - fixed hub disc. I could have used a lightweight flywheel made to work with the stock M3 clutch but ultimately decided I did not need a light flywheel. I did the conversion primarily to get rid of the poor feel of the self adjusting clutch and it did the trick but I am a little disappointed with the increased pedal effort - it is much heavier feeling - not bad but not quite to my liking.

If I were to do it again (and I might try this at some point to get better pedal feel), I would have sourced the Valeo single mass flywheel conversion kit that uses a steel single mass flywheel and sprung hub clutch - part number 52401220 if your curious.

Hope this helps.

I am not sure on the part number. Sedan and coupe sport springs wil fit perfectly fine on the touring. I think the touring specific springs are slightly stiffer because of the added weight.

BCAN
12-19-2012, 10:52 PM
You picked that up from United?! Why didn't I see it! I live 20 minutes from the Alpharetta United BMW! When did you get this car??

mr hish
12-19-2012, 11:32 PM
welcome love the rides

mjweimer
12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Yes - good eye. We got the car about 4 years ago.

I was on the hunt for a 'vert and checking many websites daily...the ad popped up one day with no pics and an odd description of "Interlagos blue".

I called, asked for the vin and more info but no one knew about the car since it was a fresh trade. Had my local BMW dealer pull the data sheet and found it was an Individual car in Estoril. Called United back, put down a deposit, and the rest is history.

You picked that up from United?! Why didn't I see it! I live 20 minutes from the Alpharetta United BMW! When did you get this car??

mjweimer
12-20-2012, 03:09 PM
You are correct, all the E46 springs are interchangeable. Part number is printed on the springs, usually with a F&R identifier.

If anyone is interested, I still have the Touring specific H&R springs - free to a good home - just pay the actual UPS shipping cost.

I am not sure on the part number. Sedan and coupe sport springs wil fit perfectly fine on the touring. I think the touring specific springs are slightly stiffer because of the added weight.

Johal E32
12-20-2012, 07:00 PM
You are correct, all the E46 springs are interchangeable. Part number is printed on the springs, usually with a F&R identifier.

If anyone is interested, I still have the Touring specific H&R springs - free to a good home - just pay the actual UPS shipping cost.

Did they lower the car more than in that picture above? Is that picture w/ the H&$ or Eibach's?

You can shoot me a PM anytime. I will take them!