PDA

View Full Version : Stock Projectors?

BavarianZHP
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Hello,

I was just wondering if there was a way to tell that I have stock OEM projectors... I know that the lenses need to read AL or KSW? But that's just the lenses no? BTW, it's an '03.

Thanks,

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/Bike_enthusiast/BMW%20ZHP/E46projectors_Cropped.jpg

Hermes
12-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Those look like stock ZKWs but you need to take them out of the car to be sure.

Do you have diminished lighting? If so read Charlie's thread about burnt ZKW bowls

BavarianZHP
12-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks. Ah, "ZKW" - that was what I was looking for. No problems at all, was only wondering as aftermarkets are inferior (so I hear).

Hermes
12-06-2012, 11:06 PM
yes and no... "aftermarket" FX-R projectors are bad ass as hell, but also fairly expensive. There are threads on here dealing with lighting so check those out and get back to us with your questions (post links to the threads you read so we know what you're thinking)

edit: have you posted an intro thread in the new members section? I don't recognize your name

nike001
12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Aftermarket headlights like DEPO are bad. The aftermarket projectors like the FX-Rs, TLs, etc etc are awesome.

If you have ZKW lights, ZKW is usually stamped on the outside lens on the inner, lower-most corner near the hood. For ZKW-vs-AL, there is no difference in outside lenses. You can order whichever.

BavarianZHP
12-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I have "AL" stamped on the inner corners of the headlights.

I shouldn't have to introduce myself. Haven't you heard of the great BavZHP? My street cred is unparalleled

Hermes
12-08-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't login much on the other forums, and if I do travel away from here it's usually for the other chassis codes at my house. I'll look around for you next time I'm off this site

BavarianZHP
12-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Haha, no I was only just kidding... I'll hit up that intro thread.

az3579
12-09-2012, 07:44 AM
You should be able to tell what kind of headlights you have by the label on the top of the headlight housing.

Aftermarket headlights like DEPO are bad. The aftermarket projectors like the FX-Rs, TLs, etc etc are awesome.

FX and TL projectors actually come from production cars. I think the FX-R projectors are from the Infiniti FX35 and the TLs are from the Acura TL. So, in a sense, they are OEM, just not to BMW. Those cars are pretty friggin' good, which is why I'd definitely use their projectors. :)