PDA

View Full Version : So I hit a deer and totaled the car.

Whitexi
12-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Ive been quiet lately and it has been mainly due to the recent events that have taken place. Last Thursday I hit a deer on my way home and it did lots of damage. It wiped out the entire front of my car. Going back and forth with my insurance on what would be the out come today I was told its a total loss. I waited to find out exactly what would happen before I made this thread. Estimated at $6,500 in damage they ask me to send out the title tomorrow and ill get my payout.

I went and cleaned the car out today after work and just got home. I will have a list of stuff to sell since my next car isn't going to be an E46. I am in works of getting my new car which is going to be a MINI Cooper S. I have located one so far in my interests and will see how that pans out.

Thanks guys and galls :hi

Johnmadd
12-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Sorry bro. Bring that mini to the reunion, I wanna drive it. Waiting parts list and hope I get first dib for first post

sketchyd
12-05-2012, 06:43 PM
that sucks to hear. my uncle lives in NJ and hit a deer once, came through the windshield. driving home from getting that fixed, another jumped through his passenger window. close encounters with deer/large wildlife are frightening to say the least, real bummer the car was totaled.

danewilson77
12-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Ugh. Glad your ok my friend.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

nike001
12-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Wow man, that sucks.

Must be a bad luck thing for white e46's recently!
Or maybe just e46's in general. Two days ago I had a truck trying to pull out across my lane to go the other way and I came a only a few inches from his drivers door. That wouldn't have been pretty...

Go Horns!
12-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Good to hear you are ok. Hitting a deer is no joke. True story, a guy I worked with hit a cow one morning on his way to a job. You never know what will be out there stay alert.

derbo
12-05-2012, 07:09 PM
glad you are okay! and sad to see another e46 go down :(

WOLFN8TR
12-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Man that really sucks. Glad your ok. So this makes the 3rd ZHP down in the last 30 days! Dam...

Nomar06
12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Sucks to hear...glad your ok.

Newjack
12-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear bud. Cars can be very sentimental, I'm sure cleaning it out wasn't easy. Glad your ok and you can move on to the next chapter of your automotive life.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

cakM3
12-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your car but am glad to hear that you are okay. It's always painful to lose a car you put so much into but I'm sure your MINI Cooper S will be awesome :thumbsup Good luck with that!

BavarianZHP
12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
And what about the deer!?

I'm glad that you're safe. Air bags and all deployed correctly I assume. Good luck with the MINI, my coworker has one and his clutch gave out in 14k miles. I think there's going to be a class action lawsuit? Not sure, he just mentioned it and that it's such a common issue. Haven't done the research myself - so take it with a grain of salt.

ryankokesh
12-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Deer terrify me. Very glad to hear you're safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCalZman
12-05-2012, 08:33 PM
latest to say glad you are ok. ugh our cars are dropping like flies! This was a 325i? Going to post some pics for us? I am always interested in seeing how the cars I own fare in accidents.

I feel like I hear a good number of e46 guys go to minis. I guess they drive similar? I dunno I think a mini is too mini and I am 5'7"! :) I am sure they are a blast to drive though. We all must move on at some point. I think my next car would be a 1st gen 1 series (hopefully not for many years). Seems the closest to the E46 in a lot of ways.

Sockethead
12-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry to hear Ryan. I hope you're still going to hang out with the Mafia. I've totaled two cars hitting deer... it sucks. It's like they just drop out of the sky right in front of the car

JKO_ZHP
12-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Holy crap. At least you're alright.
Too many animals getting hit recently....on my way back just 30 min ago, I saw a cat in the double yellow lanes and its tail was still wagging.....and I have a cat....:facepalm

Marcus-SanDiego
12-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Glad to hear that you're ok, Ryan.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

johnrando
12-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Holy #@#$ Ryan. Glad you're OK. I'm sure you'll love the Mini but very sorry to hear about your ZHP.

I hate to post this in the same thread, but you seem very sure about moving on and selling your stuff, so I'd consider your paddle shifter setup if it's transferable.

Hermes
12-05-2012, 10:52 PM
So sorry to hear about your accident, but like everyone has said I'm glad you're ok. Cars can be replaced, people can't.

Whitexi
12-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Thank you everyone, I am ok and im glad it was only me in the car at the time of accident.

Sucks... But you were talking so much about new cars that I'm sure you were almost happy to not have to deal with a sale. Hopefully insurance co. will give you a good cashout.

I'd be down for your fuel pump, knowing it's almost new... I could send you my old one + cash. Has like 100k on it. Same for your clears (if they're OEM), if you don't have your ambers anymore I'd send you mine.

Unfortunately I can't take out the fuel pump, its an hour away at the BMW dealer's collision shop. The clears are gone too from the hit.

And what about the deer!?

I'm glad that you're safe. Air bags and all deployed correctly I assume. Good luck with the MINI, my coworker has one and his clutch gave out in 14k miles. I think there's going to be a class action lawsuit? Not sure, he just mentioned it and that it's such a common issue. Haven't done the research myself - so take it with a grain of salt.

No the airbags did not deploy and im not sure as to why, the deer hit dead center and everything to the end of both sides of the front blew out and apart. The early ones from what ive read had many issues, im looking at new one 2012 or 2013 so hopefully that's all sorted out.

latest to say glad you are ok. ugh our cars are dropping like flies! This was a 325i? Going to post some pics for us? I am always interested in seeing how the cars I own fare in accidents.

I feel like I hear a good number of e46 guys go to minis. I guess they drive similar? I dunno I think a mini is too mini and I am 5'7"! :) I am sure they are a blast to drive though. We all must move on at some point. I think my next car would be a 1st gen 1 series (hopefully not for many years). Seems the closest to the E46 in a lot of ways.

I looked at the 1 series but I have always like the MCS and I have a thing for hatches, I have two pics it was dark and I couldn't open the hood.

Sorry to hear Ryan. I hope you're still going to hang out with the Mafia. I've totaled two cars hitting deer... it sucks. It's like they just drop out of the sky right in front of the car

Yes Rob of course I don't plan to go anywhere!

Holy #@#$ Ryan. Glad you're OK. I'm sure you'll love the Mini but very sorry to hear about your ZHP.

I hate to post this in the same thread, but you seem very sure about moving on and selling your stuff, so I'd consider your paddle shifter setup if it's transferable.

John I did take off the wheel and had your car in mind since you asked, I have the slip ring and my harness I made too so ill let you know once I have time.

Works just crazy and I work so many hours I just have to find time anymore so this is all happening at a crazy pace.

Oh an Johnmadd I do plan to bring the new car to the meet :biggrin

BimmerWill
12-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Sorry to hear about the car. My dad hit one in the Grand Cherokee a couple weeks ago but got real lucky by only clipping it on the passenger corner. They can do a lot of damage very easily. I hope the insurance company does right by you and can get settled in a mini without too much difficulty. Best of luck and glad you weren't hurt in the incident.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

JupiterBMW
12-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Geezus man, another beautiful AW sedan... I'm starting to think AW might be cursed!

Most importantly like you said, glad nobody else was in the car with you, or involved in any way... And glad you're OK...

Good luck with the purchase of the new Mini, and definitely keep us posted on the new car!

Ryans323i
12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
That's a bummer. I hope the insurance gives you top dollar for her. Like Rob said, I'm sure it was difficult cleaning out the car. But at least she lead a good life with over 200k miles on the odo.

Best wishes with finding the right Mini. Can't wait to see it at SigFest!

Sockethead
12-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Best wishes with finding the right Mini. Can't wait to see it at SigFest!

Me too... that will be the first BMW step child at a SIGfest, I believe...

RITmusic2k
12-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Sorry for the sad news, but glad you're okay, Ryan. The Scooper will be a fun new infatuation, though :)

webster
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
bummer about your car, but at least you are safe. hitting a deer head on is serious stuff.

good luck with the MCS! but you're AW xi was a beauty...sad to see she didn't at least get passed on to the next enthusiast...

NorCalZman
12-06-2012, 11:33 AM
it kinda surprises me that they totalled the car for just 6500 in repairs. what is the threshold for something like that? 60% of value?

static667
12-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Damn. We just lost the cleanest xI around. Sorry to hear about that one, man. Your presence is still required at the next meet, even if you are rolling a Mini Coop.

Sent from my yet to be hacked GS3.

nike001
12-06-2012, 01:26 PM
it kinda surprises me that they totalled the car for just 6500 in repairs. what is the threshold for something like that? 60% of value?

Hopefully this isn't taken the wrong way by OP... but I doubt OP's 02 325xi with 200k+ miles is worth that much more than the repairs would cost where they would justify fixing it

danewilson77
12-06-2012, 01:36 PM

This was probably 100% of the value.

johnrando
12-06-2012, 01:44 PM
John I did take off the wheel and had your car in mind since you asked, I have the slip ring and my harness I made too so ill let you know once I have time.

Thanks for thinking of that. Take your time of course.

Hornung418
12-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Dude...at first I thought you bumped the old thread where you hit the deer...very sad to see it go like this. Lots of hard work in this car :(

Speaking of deer...two of those bastards were in the road at 4:30 am on my way into work. Scary shit indeed. Glad you are safe and moving on to a new car :)

From a GS3, this was sent.

3ZHP
12-06-2012, 03:33 PM
That sucks, glad everything went well with the insurance co. for you.
Good luck with the Cooper S, my first Driving School instructor had one that I rode in for a session at Mid-Ohio. When it was over, I had two unanswered questions on my mind. "Should I have waited on the donuts or should I have taken some Dramamine before I put the helmet on".

Washburn
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Damn - I am gonna drive the ol' Tbird to work and keep the AW coupe in the garage, and take it out only on wk ends-
Glad the OP is ok though....

brettbimmer
12-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Ryan, horrible to read this thread, and I am sorry to read of the final fate of your beloved AW XI. However, glad that the XI kept you safe (hopefully without too many bumps, bruises, etc. from the impact)!

Deer are odd beasts in what they do/do not trigger in accidents. Mom decided to go hunting with the E36 back in '98, and here are the results of the deer impact. Oddly, the deer jumped up and completely missed the front of the car as you can see, but landed on the windshield and roof (in front of the sunroof, which was open at the time). Car was almost new & was fixed, but the glass shards, fur, etc. made a heck of a mess. Good thing she was wearing sunglasses, as the glass would've been in her eyes too.

Nonetheless, good luck with the MINI search, and we will look forward to your continued support on the Mafia & at the meets!

kayger12
12-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Damn, bro. Sorry to hear.

I was really fond of your car.

As for the airbags, they're triggered by deceleration forces (generally equivalent to collision with a parked car at 25mph or immovable object at 15mph). You'd be hard-pressed to get deployment from a deer strike.

Glad you're okay.

Sent from my kick-A Galaxy S3

Torxuvin
12-07-2012, 09:18 AM
That sucks. I feel for you bud.

Mtnman
12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Sucks Ryan.

Mini will be fun though. Get a JCW one. My (X)- brother in law had one. Blast to drive.

Whitexi
12-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Ryan, horrible to read this thread, and I am sorry to read of the final fate of your beloved AW XI. However, glad that the XI kept you safe (hopefully without too many bumps, bruises, etc. from the impact)!

Deer are odd beasts in what they do/do not trigger in accidents. Mom decided to go hunting with the E36 back in '98, and here are the results of the deer impact. Oddly, the deer jumped up and completely missed the front of the car as you can see, but landed on the windshield and roof (in front of the sunroof, which was open at the time). Car was almost new & was fixed, but the glass shards, fur, etc. made a heck of a mess. Good thing she was wearing sunglasses, as the glass would've been in her eyes too.

Nonetheless, good luck with the MINI search, and we will look forward to your continued support on the Mafia & at the meets!

Brett that's insane wow, I would have freaked out if that happened, and im surprised they fixed that car. Was it ever the same after?

Again thank you everyone for the concern its nice to have the positive feed back after something like this. AS for the Mini

I decided I didn't like the few I have found. Lots of the dealers don't list the options and it seems when I find one I like its sold but still shows up in there inventory...UGH so because of this I am going to Mini tomorrow and placing an order on my own build :biggrin

Im gonna try and place some stuff in a for sale thread.

brettbimmer
12-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Yep, 318ti is still my DD, and all is well with her at 246,000 miles.

Have fun with ordering the new MINI! Haven't driven the latest variation, but the previous ones were a lot of fun!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Johnmadd
12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Yep, 318ti is still my DD, and all is well with her at 246,000 miles.

Have fun with ordering the new MINI! Haven't driven the latest variation, but the previous ones were a lot of fun!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That's the first time I have seen that picture Brett, you know how I feel about high mileage bimmers... and your 318 has done a great job for its lifetime and I see you getting another 250,000 out of it!

Ryans323i
12-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Ordering a Mini, that's badass Ryan!

johnrando
12-08-2012, 07:51 AM
You talking to yourself there? :biggrin

danewilson77
12-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Ordering a Mini, that's badass Ryan!

+1

Can't wait to see it at the meet.

Ryans323i
12-08-2012, 09:16 AM
You talking to yourself there? :biggrin

Always. Gotta encourage myself, ya know?

johnrando
12-08-2012, 10:45 AM
:rockon

Whitexi
12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Placed the order today, ill make another thread in the off topic when I get home later. The MA new I was after one that was sold and being picked up this morning so he took a few pictures before hand. Ill post them later but I basically built the same car lol.

ryankokesh
12-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Mats are in, thanks man!!

http://i.imgur.com/kjQod.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitexi
12-24-2012, 05:03 AM
Glad your happy with them, I'm glad they went to use!

Now I just hope Johns wheel gets to him in a timely manner. The storm really put a damper on the ETA for this past Friday.

johnrando
01-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Got the wheel. Looks great, thanks!