PDA

View Full Version : Big Maintenance Overhaul

JKO_ZHP
11-29-2012, 04:16 PM
So yesterday, the ZHP sounded like the fan was hitting something plastic (rhythmically) whenever I stepped on the gas. Before I even had time to think about it, black smoke started billowing out from the hood and from the exhaust. Right after that, I noticed I was leaving a heavy oil trail.

Parked it a couple seconds later and although the keys were in my hand, about half the oil leaks out.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me8f2lJMDn1r2z3guo1_1280.jpg

The good news was, it was the oil filter housing gasket, so that part is only $8.
Bad news though, I have a few things that don't need to be replaced just yet, but it is definitely better for the longevity of the ZHP to have it done. Besides, the labor for just putting on the gasket is over 30x that price since it's a PITA to remove all the stuff.

One of the transmission lines got cut and so at least that one needs to be replaced along with the gasket.

Besides the first two being for a fix, the others are preventive maintenance:
Transmission line (x2)
Oil filter housing gasket
AC belt
Alternator pulley
Tensioner pulley
Fan clutch
VANOS line
Oil change & transmission (leaked a little too)

Will also be needing some Liqui-Moly to replenish the loss as well as for the transmission also.

Altogether, this fix/cost is ridiculous. I don't get how it went from clicking to smoking and finally leaking profusely in a matter of one minute. I never track it, drive it hard, or anything - it's not even at 80,000 miles yet.

Buddies have been telling me to get another car, just not another E46 after stories of fixing my previous one. Now, I'm thinking it's time to really consider it, after all this is fixed and taken care of.

What does the Mafia think?

nike001
11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Your call. I personally think buying another car is just buying another unknown vat of potential problems. At least you know a good amount of what's going on with the ZHP.

If you do decide to sell, first dibs on the strut bar for $100. :shifty

JKO_ZHP
11-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Your call. I personally think buying another car is just buying another unknown vat of potential problems. At least you know a good amount of what's going on with the ZHP.

If you do decide to sell, first dibs on the strut bar for $100. :shifty

On the contrary, I'm far from the unknown. I really underestimated my buddy and the guy the ZHP's with at right now. Just through volume of sales and their customers' problems, they were able to tell the following when I mentioned these possible replacements out of the blue.....
They said:
S2000: Doesn't matter if it's AP 1 or 2, will need an OS Giken diff (about a $1,500 part) because anything else including factory will die repeatedly, eventually.
G35/37 (coupe): Engine is bigger on G37 obviously but both engines don't last.
986 Porsche Boxster S: They approve, for some reason....
V6 Accord coupe: FWD.
Lancer Evolution 9th-gen: They approve.
350Z: Forgot what they said about this one.
E36 M3: Yes. But I don't like the looks, too antiquated.
E39 M5: Yes. But same as the E36.
E46 M3: SMG = death. Even 6-speed: will cost more yearly to fix than the ZHP.

danewilson77
11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
How did a tranny line get cut, from a leaky OFHG?

nike001
11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
I would be hard pressed to trade my car for any of the cars you listed except the M3's/M5. Maybe a tastefully modded S2k, but it has to have a hard top.

Any of the cars on your list wouldn't be worth a switch. They're all going to cost more to fix, but the ///M cars are bulletproof. You're complaining about maintenance on a car that isn't really that tough or costly to maintain. So you blew a OHFG.. big deal. Buy the $8(?) gasket and set aside a DIY day and be done with it.

What's your final price to fix and to do your preventative maintenance you have listed? How many miles are you at and if you're paying a mechanic (all the stuff you listed is very DIY friendly), how much are you paying for that?

Torxuvin
11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Every car has it's problems. You know what has been fixed on this car. Get what you like. That being said, rising maintenance costs are why I sold my e46 M3. I just love the e46 so much I just went out and bought another. smh.

danewilson77
11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
I did the OFHG in 1 hour, 11 minutes.

derbo
11-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Thats a great preventative maintenance list!

I would've suggested the oil breather system to be replaced as well since you have most of your stuff out anyways. It makes it alot easier with the oil filter housing out of the way.

nike001
11-29-2012, 05:42 PM

We'll see when SIGFest comes up. I may or may not be planning to change mine :shifty

Hornung418
11-29-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm very confused...we need some pics of the bay. How did the ofhg cause a trans line to get cut by the engine fan?

Sent from my GSIII, bitches.

JKO_ZHP
11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
How did a tranny line get cut, from a leaky OFHG?

I can't recall, too much going through my head right now, but he said it was a belt or pulley or something, slashed the line.

I would be hard pressed to trade my car for any of the cars you listed except the M3's/M5. Maybe a tastefully modded S2k, but it has to have a hard top.

Any of the cars on your list wouldn't be worth a switch. They're all going to cost more to fix, but the ///M cars are bulletproof. You're complaining about maintenance on a car that isn't really that tough or costly to maintain. So you blew a OHFG.. big deal. Buy the $8(?) gasket and set aside a DIY day and be done with it.

What's your final price to fix and to do your preventative maintenance you have listed? How many miles are you at and if you're paying a mechanic (all the stuff you listed is very DIY friendly), how much are you paying for that?

A few hundred miles short of 80,000 and altogether with parts and labor it will be approx. $800....
I know the E36/E39 M3/M5 are durable since they're the older generation but I don't think I would ever get one just because I'm not attracted to the looks.

I am mechanically challenged....so everything is being done by the guy at the shop.
The guys just told me to go JDM if I want to pay less for labor/parts for fixes but that overall, I'd be happy to just stick with this.

JKO_ZHP
11-29-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm very confused...we need some pics of the bay. How did the ofhg cause a trans line to get cut by the engine fan?

http://oi50.tinypic.com/24cf4f4.jpg
This was the only pic I took before AAA towed it over to the shop, where it's awaiting all the parts to arrive tmr for the fix...

Hornung418
11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Highly suggest you spend the time to do the ofhg yourself if you can. Don't know a thing about trans lines...

das boots
11-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Also suggest to start networking and find out if there is a BMW tech that does repair on the side. They would be a better route. You buy the parts and they do their thing. You'd be suprised on how many techs are looking for side jobs. Unfortunately, they will only do the work to a person they know or trust. They are pretty picky on who they deal with.....

danewilson77
11-29-2012, 06:52 PM
I can't recall, too much going through my head right now, but he said it was a belt or pulley or something, slashed the line.

A few hundred miles short of 80,000 and altogether with parts and labor it will be approx. $800....
I know the E36/E39 M3/M5 are durable since they're the older generation but I don't think I would ever get one just because I'm not attracted to the looks.

I am mechanically challenged....so everything is being done by the guy at the shop.
The guys just told me to go JDM if I want to pay less for labor/parts for fixes but that overall, I'd be happy to just stick with this.

Maybe oil on belts caused you to throw one into the tranny line. I hope the guy knows what he's doing.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Crickett
11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Buddies have been telling me to get another car, just not another E46 after stories of fixing my previous one. Now, I'm thinking it's time to really consider it, after all this is fixed and taken care of.

What does the Mafia think?

Every car has it's problems. You know what has been fixed on this car. Get what you like. That being said, rising maintenance costs are why I sold my e46 M3. I just love the e46 so much I just went out and bought another. smh.

I vote for keeping the ZHP. Like Torxuvin said, you have first-hand knowledge of what's been fixed on this car & I'll add that each repair, while a bit of a pain at the time, is one more potential problem crossed off the list that you won't have to worry about again. See below for more . . .

This pains me to hear! Everybody starts off "mechanically challenged" & I personally think that your current list of repairs / maintenance is a great place to start! I was very timid about doing my own work on the ZHP when I got it, thinking that it worked on some sort of European magic & if I touched it it would all just fall apart. Getting your hands dirty on simple DIYs is the best way to begin making yourself "mechanically inclined": you fix a problem that needed fixing, you get a bit more familiar with your car, & most of all, you gain confidence in your wrench-turning abilities!

brettbimmer
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Regarding the Bimmers on your list:

Have a few friends that use them for DD & track work. Reliable cars, but not without their issues too - E36 interior panels are crap, problems with heater controls, pixels going out on computer, clock, etc. E36 M3 is probably the closest vehicle in terms of feel to your ZHP.

They must be CRAZY to think that an E39 M5 (which I personally love) is going to be less to maintain then your ZHP. If you read any of the BMWCCA Roundel/Tech Talk/BMW Buyer's Guide articles by Mike Miller, you will quickly realize that the E39 M5 is a very, very costly vehicle to maintain properly, DIY or otherwise.

Yes. E46 M3 are more costly to maintain then the ZHP. Charlie/other M owners could probably step in here, but with shimmed valve adjustments every 30,000 miles (at last check was at least $1,000 per visit), decreased fuel mileage, etc. the ZHP is cheaper to own and maintain.

If you like the ZHP/BMW feel, I agree with the others above that you would be wise to work on some DIY's with your car (assuming you want to learn). It will save you $$$$ in the long run, and you have a great support group here with any questions you may have.

Vas
11-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. However it does not seem like alot of work to get her back up and running.

But if you do sell it, I got dibs on that strut bar lol.

JKO_ZHP
12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Update: got her back already, and she used to purr but now she roars :) At low RPMSs, the fan is audible....I can hear the engine load and clear but the fan too, guess that's what the disk that was replaced was for.
Feels like there was a slight boost in HP since the loss from old parts was gained back from replacing everything.
Here you go Dane:
http://oi49.tinypic.com/2ylv586.jpg

The VANOS that I used to have was black and it looked like rubber or plastic but this new one is metal. I'm not 100% sure if that is the thing I think it is but I'm referring to the "O."
And then there's that gear-looking thing behind the fan.

Someone tried to sell me their 112,000 mile, '03 SMG M3 at $20,000 yesterday :facepalm

danewilson77
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah...that vanos oil pipe is cray. Never seen one like that.

Yup...it was the viscous clutch they replaced.

Torxuvin
12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Someone tried to sell me their 112,000 mile, '03 SMG M3 at $20,000 yesterday :facepalm

Glad to hear you got it back. :)

That being said, there are so many people that think their cars are gold right now. I bought my 2002 6spd m3 for 19700 with only 42k miles last year. I sold it to a guy with 53k miles for 24k with a lot of new parts.

BTW as far as running costs go, my e46 m3's first year of ownership costed about as much as it is costing for the combined first year (expected conservatively) of both my ZHP and Corvette. None of these cars were in bad condition. Stuff happens with old sports cars. And inspection 2, especially if you don't do it yourself, is nearly 2k.

Also, the more you do, the better you get with the DIYs. I can so do much more now than I could last year. Sometimes you just have to drink a beer and go for it.

johnrando
12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Glad your set. BTW, used car prices are either going up or generally maintaining a strong level mostly due to lack of quality inventory. Of course, things do depreciate, I'm not saying they don't, it's just that prices are holding firm.

sketchyd
12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
i hope your tech replaced both drive belts... sucks to hear this happened, it sounds like the trans line is what leaked all over the parking lot. keep a sharp eye on your thermostat, unbalanced fans can destroy a waterpump. if you catch it, it's just replacement, but if it goes and you keep driving it can do serious damage. otherwise sounds like a solid PM list you had done.

i'll time my next one, but i can do the OFHG and VCG in ~2.5 hrs with cleaning parts/motor.

Have a few friends that use them for DD & track work. Reliable cars, but not without their issues too - E36 interior panels are crap, problems with heater controls, pixels going out on computer, clock, etc. E36 M3 is probably the closest vehicle in terms of feel to your ZHP.

They must be CRAZY to think that an E39 M5 (which I personally love) is going to be less to maintain then your ZHP. If you read any of the BMWCCA Roundel/Tech Talk/BMW Buyer's Guide articles by Mike Miller, you will quickly realize that the E39 M5 is a very, very costly vehicle to maintain properly, DIY or otherwise.

Yes. E46 M3 are more costly to maintain then the ZHP. Charlie/other M owners could probably step in here, but with shimmed valve adjustments every 30,000 miles (at last check was at least $1,000 per visit), decreased fuel mileage, etc. the ZHP is cheaper to own and maintain.

If you like the ZHP/BMW feel, I agree with the others above that you would be wise to work on some DIY's with your car (assuming you want to learn). It will save you $$$$ in the long run, and you have a great support group here with any questions you may have.

QFT. i love my E36 but it does have some character flaws.
there is a cheap DIY fix for the IHKA problem (done it)
IMO its not so much the interior panels, but the clips and brackets and such that hold them always break so the panels are always loose.
it's a cheap car to maintain DIY, parts aren't outrageous for it, and most stuff is doable in a driveway.

and my boss has an E39 M5 and this could not be more true. granted he bought it from a customer already with a lot of DINAN bits, so parts are even more, but everything for this car is stupid expensive.

JKO_ZHP
12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys. The guy selling the SMG was just trying to rip me off hoping I'm a noob. A lot of local CL listings are way lower, in better condition, and 6-speed.

I'm still considering an E46 M3 though, I've become addicted to HP....first the 325Ci at 184HP, then this 330Ci at 235HP, next....I don't know. But I still remember test driving the ZHP the first time and also just getting it back the other day. Both times, I just wanted to get on the freeway and floor it. :)

I also recently got news that my pain & suffering, loss of use, emotional damage, etc. compensation check will arrive in a month or two. Enough for a supercharger for sure and maintenance can be covered for a couple years.....but I'll look into a transmission swap too just so there's less stress on the factory transmission.

ALL assuming I go through with it. I just want speed with reliability....

EDIT: Also, can anyone identify the metal VANOS that I've got? I've never seen one like this before, all metal. Would it be better or worse than the regular rubber/plastic ones that every other E46 has?

Crickett
12-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Also, the more you do, the better you get with the DIYs. I can so do much more now than I could last year. Sometimes you just have to drink a beer and go for it.

^ THAT is so going in my sig! :rofl

EDIT: Also, can anyone identify the metal VANOS that I've got? I've never seen one like this before, all metal. Would it be better or worse than the regular rubber/plastic ones that every other E46 has?

I've never seen a metal VANOS oil hose, but I'd imagine it'd be superior to the original rubber / plastic in that it won't degrade over time like those materials do. :dunno

danewilson77
12-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah...if you could research that hose, back through the mechanic that performed the repairs, I would be interested in the details.

JKO_ZHP
12-04-2012, 05:55 PM
:facepalm
Jk about the metal VANOS. Just asked my buddy who supplied it. Said it's just the head that's metal but that they're all the same.
You guys were just misled, the pic I took didn't actually show the hose itself. This was what I was referring to, just the circled part.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/307w51e.jpg

RedTRex
12-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Yup, it's a very easy job, I have done it in a hour as well.

Thats a great preventative maintenance list!

I would've suggested the oil breather system to be replaced as well since you have most of your stuff out anyways. It makes it alot easier with the oil filter housing out of the way.

Very good idea - much easier to get at the duck valve (oil sep) with the alternator out of the way.

JKO_ZHP
12-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Yup, it's a very easy job, I have done it in a hour as well.

Very good idea - much easier to get at the duck valve (oil sep) with the alternator out of the way.

I left that alone. The entire list was actually compiled by the mechanic, also my buddy that I trust. Every time I take the ZHP over there, whether it's for a casual oil change to this fix, he checks up on everything and lets me know what he knows needs to be replaced (what I just mentioned), what he highly suggests replacing (the rest of the stuff that I listed), and also an estimate of the life of other parts as well as the health/performance of the car as whole, before and after.

danewilson77
12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
:facepalm
Jk about the metal VANOS. Just asked my buddy who supplied it. Said it's just the head that's metal but that they're all the same.
You guys were just misled, the pic I took didn't actually show the hose itself. This was what I was referring to, just the circled part.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/307w51e.jpg

Thanks for getting back. That had me bugged.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Torxuvin
12-05-2012, 04:31 AM
^ THAT is so going in my sig! :rofl

Cheers. Lol. It's so true though!

JKO_ZHP
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM

I'm confused now....
Because the guy who sold me all of the parts I replaced in this fix has one himself, an imola '03 one and he swears he's never spent more than (some low amount) dollars on any fix yet. He basically DD's it, and it's pretty stock except for some headers and an exhaust.

sketchyd
12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
the e39 M5 is a solid car, it's just parts are expensive and there were a couple known major problems, which i'm sure most have had fixed by now. also, note he said "costly to maintain properly." not sayin the guy you know doesn't, but there are several in my area that i know of which the owners' expect it to cost the same as a 530i to maintain and don't want to spend the money involved to do things proper. there are also many things, which on other cars (such as an e46) aren't major fixes, but are extremely labor intensive in the M5.

shendrick
12-05-2012, 07:25 PM
All the M cars are expensive to maintain. Lots of guys with e90 M3s going off warranty now and either scared, getting their cars CPO'd ($5K)or, or buying extended warranties ($5-6K). I have an early one. Some of the early ones had crankshaft bearing issues which would probably be about $8-10K out of pocket. New pads and rotors all around in the vicinity of $4K. Don't keep an M over the long term unless you are ready for the expensive parts.

alexandre
12-07-2012, 08:14 AM
All the M cars are expensive to maintain. Lots of guys with e90 M3s going off warranty now and either scared, getting their cars CPO'd ($5K)or, or buying extended warranties ($5-6K). I have an early one. Some of the early ones had crankshaft bearing issues which would probably be about $8-10K out of pocket. New pads and rotors all around in the vicinity of $4K. Don't keep an M over the long term unless you are ready for the expensive parts.

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES59725/
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2100690/
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-M3-S65_4.0L/Search/Rotors/

More like 1.4k all around. Certainly way more than ZHP $600 for OEM all around (I know you can get parts cheaper but just to make a fair comparison) but not 4k... Still, expecting an M to cost at least 2-3x the cost of a non-M in general upkeep is a safe bet. Plus if you don't DIY book labor times are probably higher for M's, just because they're M's.

JKO_ZHP
12-07-2012, 05:22 PM
With all this info and testimonies from other people these past few days.....I think if anything, I'll supercharge the ZHP and maybe even a transmission swap depending on the price and if I have the bucks to do it.

And the cost for all the parts and labor has now set me back at a grand total of $950.

alexandre
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Probably way less than the time/money to get a new car. I'm sure you won't regret it :)