PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone to check out a car in Jersey City, NJ 07306 (and some advice on pricing)

alexandre
11-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey guys,

A friend of mine fell in love with the E46 after we had a few rides in my ZHP. He helped me out for a few jobs I did and was amazed at how easy maintenance was (and cheap... compared to doing everything at indy).

He's looking for a high-mileage, manual, xi touring - as long as the HVAC, motor and tranny aren't sketchy and the price is there he doesn't mind it being a project for a few months. He's been looking around since September, and this has been on the market for a while: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=326797063.

Given the price and the time it's taken to sell I'm gonna assume that there's a long list of stuff to do... Which could take a few hundreds, maybe a grand (?) off the already low price. Off the top of my head I'm thinking he'd have to do at least the following if there's no maintenance history:

- Full cooling system
- CCV
- VCG, OFHG, VANOS
- Probably clutch, shift linkages at the same time
- Full suspension w/ all bushings, mounts and other rubber parts
- Maybe brakes (4 corners through Ray)
- Fuel pump & filter
- Air filters, oil - basic "15k" service
- Belts, pulleys
- O2 sensors
- Tires (he'd get a set of 17-18's anyway so doesn't matter)
- All fluids

What is there more to do on an XI that I should know? I remember reading about CV boots... What is that and how much does it cost (and most importantly, is it DIY-able) ?

Could someone in NJ with a spare hour or two go take a look at it ? :)

If I missed anything else re: preventative maintenance let me know. How much would you pay for that car ?

nike001
11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
You seem to have a good list ready, and as long as your friend is OK with all that then you should be good. Of course, cars with maintenance history are better but not all of them have that.

alexandre
11-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah. And TBH I lean more on the side of having to do more myself (and pay a lower price for the car upfront), knowing I use quality parts (and knowing I can clean or replace random parts "while I'm in there") rather than having a car with a seemingly up-to-date maintenance, only to find out a year later that it's got a knock-off CCV and a walmart fuel pump in it.

Johnmadd
11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
With Xi you have the extra deferential up front which can be in the way for some jobs.

jayjay_dee
11-29-2012, 02:46 PM
That car dealer is probably 10 minutes from me, I can take a look at that car for you, but im not an expert...

If you have your own list of things to check, let me know.

danewilson77
11-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Love it. Thanks Jayjay!

alexandre
11-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Awesome! I'll PM you :)