PDA

View Full Version : ZHP vs. Boxster S

JKO_ZHP
11-17-2012, 01:58 AM
I've been entertaining the idea of trading the ZHP for a Boxster S. Any thoughts?
I know that the insurance will be higher since it's a vert and even more for me than others since I'm considered young and reckless by insurance (age) but overall, is it worth it?

It seems like a fun car to drive, manual, and there's a lot of options since it looks like there's a lot more Boxster S's out there for sale than ZHPs. I got the idea from a buddy in the Euro parts industry since he said they're reliable, speedy, and generally don't go bad for numerous reasons compared to say for example, an E60 545i.

UdubBadger
11-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Yup I have wanted to do the same for a loooooong time, likely a cayman s though, verts don't do it for me.

They're great nimble cars and I've heard they are literally a millisecond of a tick behind the 911s.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

nike001
11-17-2012, 07:46 AM
^I dont think he's talking about the current model ones.

The 986's are the ones I see with prices comparable to ZHP prices... and I wouldn't trade my car for a slouchy, entry model porsche.

I'd only do it for a 987 MY2007. They got a .2L engine/15hp bump in the S's, and they don't look as horrid as the 986 does.

Junior2552
11-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Porsche is more reliable than BMW?
Idk about all that. I've driven both and I'm gonna say the same thing I say to everyone else: it's comparing two very different machines. After working at an Audi dealership, I get to drive a lot of cool stuff. But trying to compare Porsche to BMW just isn't going to work. It's really whatever you prefer. Drive the Porsche, if you like it better, deal. If you don't, you have the ZHP to enjoy still. Both are great cars, but they're engineered very differently.

But who doesn't love a good Porsche...

M0nk3y
11-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Porsche has a fair amount of service items and general upkeep.

With that being said, driving a Porsche is completely different than a BMW. The Boxster is more connected to the ground, steering inputs are an extension of the wheel to your hand and the suspension is firm.

Junior2552
11-17-2012, 08:58 AM
But coilovers on your ZHP will result in the same outcome. I've ridden on KWs and Bilsteins, and I'm excited for my new coils to get here from a new company doing big things. I'll do a write up for sure. ANYWAYS. I think keeping the ZHP is the smarter move. If you WANT a Boxster, nobody is gonna stop you.

M0nk3y
11-17-2012, 09:30 AM
But coilovers on your ZHP will result in the same outcome. I've ridden on KWs and Bilsteins, and I'm excited for my new coils to get here from a new company doing big things. I'll do a write up for sure. ANYWAYS. I think keeping the ZHP is the smarter move. If you WANT a Boxster, nobody is gonna stop you.

That's completely dependent on the spring and damper rates.

Weight, unsprung weight all plays a factor. Simply adding coilovers will not lead to Porsche handling.

Especially KW (not trying to knock them)

Johal E32
11-17-2012, 10:03 AM
That's completely dependent on the spring and damper rates.

Weight, unsprung weight all plays a factor. Simply adding coilovers will not lead to Porsche handling.

Especially KW (not trying to knock them)

So true. The porsche is much smaller than the heavy zhp btw..

JKO_ZHP
11-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't necessarily want a Boxster S, just thought it looked like it'd be more fun to have/drive and since it's way smaller, it'd be easier for parking and washing/detailing.

And the years I'm looking at are around mid 2000's. Looks don't matter much since whatever I will ever own, from a Civic to an M3, I'll mod everything visual-related first before moving on to performance.

UdubBadger
11-17-2012, 01:48 PM
^I dont think he's talking about the current model ones.

The 986's are the ones I see with prices comparable to ZHP prices... and I wouldn't trade my car for a slouchy, entry model porsche.

I'd only do it for a 987 MY2007. They got a .2L engine/15hp bump in the S's, and they don't look as horrid as the 986 does.

2007 and older yeah, not quite Zhp prices.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Jesse M
11-17-2012, 03:02 PM
You will have more fun in a boxster, trust me. Just entertain the idea of the two seater roadster. I used to drive them around all the time when I was working at the port. Super responsive and very firm .. granted they were new.. but try it out. I, personally wouldn't be caught driving one simply for the fact that they are pretty girly looking. A Cayman would do it for me.

JKO_ZHP
11-17-2012, 04:05 PM
You will have more fun in a boxster, trust me. Just entertain the idea of the two seater roadster. I used to drive them around all the time when I was working at the port. Super responsive and very firm .. granted they were new.. but try it out. I, personally wouldn't be caught driving one simply for the fact that they are pretty girly looking. A Cayman would do it for me.

That's the only thing. I don't really care about the fact that just about everybody craps on it being an "entry-level Porsche" or that it's "the cheapest one," but the looks really get me. I don't like verts much but if the right one does come along, I'd be willing to invest in some aesthetic mods.

An '03 S model at 60,000 miles is going for around $15,000 in the area. Probably sold already since it's been a while but there are a lot of new listings every week in SoCal.

UdubBadger
11-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I honestly don't see the point unless you're willing to really invest $30k or more TBH. A 10 yr old Porsche boxer isn't the same as like a vintage 911 or something along those lines.

If you want $15k bang for your buck I think there are other places to look. You're on the cusp of higher mileage e46 m3s there.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

brettbimmer
11-17-2012, 05:50 PM
JKO_ZHP- My dad has had an '02 Boxster S 6M since 2004, and he really enjoys the car for the superb handling, connection with the road, great engine sound, and wraparound cockpit feel. He is 5'8", and it fits him well (as he is used to airplane cockpits from years gone by). I think that the car is (as others have said) more connected to the road. For true "balls out" driving, I enjoy the Boxster over the ZHP. If you are looking for a vehicle for longer "touring" style driving, I think that the ZHP fits the bill better. However, you cannot beat the top-down driving of a roadster when the weather cooperates. We've heard the "entry-level" argument for the Boxster as well, but couldn't the same be said for the 3-Series? Incidentally, he may be moving and possibly looking to sell his Boxster in the near future. I realize I am on the wrong coast, but let me know if Speed Yellow over black interior w/ black top is at all of interest to you.

danewilson77
11-17-2012, 05:53 PM
JKO_ZHP- My dad has had an '02 Boxster S 6M since 2004, and he really enjoys the car for the superb handling, connection with the road, great engine sound, and wraparound cockpit feel. He is 5'8", and it fits him well (as he is used to airplane cockpits from years gone by). I think that the car is (as others have said) more connected to the road. For true "balls out" driving, I enjoy the Boxster over the ZHP. If you are looking for a vehicle for longer "touring" style driving, I think that the ZHP fits the bill better. However, you cannot beat the top-down driving of a roadster when the weather cooperates. We've heard the "entry-level" argument for the Boxster as well, but couldn't the same be said for the 3-Series? Incidentally, he may be moving and possibly looking to sell his Boxster in the near future. I realize I am on the wrong coast, but let me know if Speed Yellow over black interior w/ black top is at all of interest to you.

This is the nicest, most subtle, most intelligent thread jack ever...hehe.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

brettbimmer
11-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Should've posted a photo for you above! Also, mileage is around 52,000-53,000 I believe.

BCS_ZHP
11-17-2012, 05:55 PM
My neighbor had an early Bosxter, late 90's I think. He was borrowing my pickup one day and I had to take my son to a soccer game an hour away. The Boxster was an entirely well wrapped car but what I didn't like was the engine right behind me whining as I ran it up through the gears. Maybe some like that but we couldn't carry on a decent conversation if I was above 3K rpms.

brettbimmer
11-17-2012, 05:56 PM
This is the nicest, most subtle, most intelligent thread jack ever...hehe.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

LOL, thanks DW! Brettski was a'tryin', but just like my other work - no point in selling someone the wrong product for their needs, so it depends on what he is really after. The Boxster is fun, but the ZHP is a fun driver too, as everyone here already knows. :fistpump

BRGcoopahS
11-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Any car in good shape will look good. Doesn't matter what year or generation it is. An early model boxster will still look great if it was taken care of.

I actually had a Porsche before my mini. Granted, it was a 944. But it was the most reliable car I've owned.(discounting the zhp as its too early) problems it had?
waterpump went right when we bought it, a leaky head gasket, and a bushing that needed lubrication. This is an old 80's porsche that was purchased in 2007 and owned for 2 years by a 17-19 year old kid. it was pretty damn reliable considering the circumstances, if ya know what i mean ;)

It was an immaculate purchase though. 68k miles when it was bought.

Porsches are very reliable cars is what I'm saying.

Jesse M
11-18-2012, 08:33 AM
15k bang for the buck that yeilds the same amount (if not more) fun, and much more reliable would put me in an S2K or a Z. Brother picked up a track/6spd/brembos for 17k w/tax that had 55k miles. And my very good friend has a White on red s2k that I want to just drool on every time I see it.

And they look 10x better than any entry level Porsche boxster I've ever seen.. IMO --

UdubBadger
11-18-2012, 11:45 AM
yeah the older Boxsters don't do it for me. not quite vintage looking but also not still relevantly modern either and i feel like the late 90's early 2000's were strange years for Porsche interiors across the board.

terraphantm
11-18-2012, 12:09 PM
They're very different cars. I think the Boxster would be a lot more fun t odrive... though I don't know how practical it would be as a DD.

Don't worry about the "entry level" argument -- A 330i is a fairly entry level BMW all things considered. The Boxster S' closest competitor in the BMW world would be the Z3/Z4M roadster.

zj96sc
11-18-2012, 12:15 PM
They say that boxsters are supposed to be one of the purest driving experiences out there - all the porsche know-how with all of the main bits put in the correct spot.

I think you're going to need to do some test driving - this is ultimately a pretty personal question.

I bought a ZHP because I was tired of coupe doors, I think a boxster would be even more frustrating for me in that sense.

UdubBadger
11-18-2012, 12:24 PM
They say that boxsters are supposed to be one of the purest driving experiences out there - all the porsche know-how with all of the main bits put in the correct spot.

^ can't argue that one bit

webster
11-18-2012, 03:13 PM
funny this thread came up - lately i've been killing time at work on autotrader looking at Boxter and Cayman S's. i have no idea why as i totally love my ZHP and have no plans to part soon. i guess initially i was curious about the price segment. realized you can get an 08+ with <50k miles for around $30k. that's not bad at all. maybe in a couple years i'll get serious about looking into them. but i'm pretty sure my next car will be a Porsche. BMW's post Bangle have totally lost me.

prowlerflyer
11-18-2012, 04:10 PM
As mentioned completely different cars, but if you don't require the the space Boxsters are phenomenal driver's cars. They are only bit short in the hp department, not unlike our ZHPs.

If you are looking at the earlier boxers:
* #1 issue with them is the intermediate shaft bearing and rear main seal. Lots of info available on the web. If it has an oil leak, run away.
* make sure the earlier model plastic back window was looked after when the top was folded. Most use a towel between the folds to prevent wear, otherwise you're looking at a new top.
* the 03's offered a number of improvements.
* the S is nice from both performance (although it's higher rpm power) and commonly trim level.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JKO_ZHP
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
I've thought about the S2000, 350Z, G35, Altima coupe, and Genesis 2.0 R-Spec. Thought about the Boxster the most since it was the only Euro (I wanted to stay on the Euro side) and it seemed like the Porsche owners are usually more mature and so the cars aren't as beat up versus the others, which are mostly owned by other people like me except they beat their cars to death, then sell them.

BCS_ZHP
11-18-2012, 06:47 PM
On any used car, its all about the previous owner. And then you have old farts like me who take it on to return ZHPs to their full glory. The '04 I sold to John in Atlanta, that car was just dialed in right, it wants to run and pulls throughout the rpm band, and I didn't do anything special. My current '06 coupe, I'll match it up against any completely stock ZHP and i think it will pull them performance-wise, again don't know why other than preventative maintenance.

TheStig
11-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Definitely don't do any Cayman or Boxster pre facelift(not the new model this year, the facelift of the outgoing). They have the same RMS issues that plagued the 996 generation 911s and tend to experience oil starvation in the turns.

Hermes
11-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Sorry I'm late to this thread but Gary (Deschodt) has a ZHP and a Boxster (and a gorgeous Inka 2002!!!)... he would be the person to ask these questions to. Not sure how much he frequents the site anymore as I haven't seen his name anytime recently but just PM him

On a somewhat personal fetish style comment - buy an old 911... early 70's. don't waste your time withe ZHP vs Etc., If anybody on this site will agree with me it will be Gary (he had a 912 and has a 911T, I also have a 911T... great minds think alike!).

TheStig
11-21-2012, 06:10 AM
I couldn't agree more. If you want to supplement the ZHP with a more visceral car, a 964 or such would fit the bill perfectly.

BRGcoopahS
11-21-2012, 06:44 AM
What about a mint 968? I've always loved those. 240 hp in a 3.0 4cyl. Plus the great reliability considering its essentially a 944

UdubBadger
11-21-2012, 06:54 AM
yup

prowlerflyer
11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
I couldn't agree more. If you want to supplement the ZHP with a more visceral car, a 964 or such would fit the bill perfectly.

While they were a greatly improved 911, the 964's have their fair share of potential disaster. Distributed gear stripping, head bolts cracking, dual mass flywheel issues, leaky cases, etc.

For inexpensive Porsche transport, it is tough to beat the 944/968 family. I am partial to the S2, but they are really different animals from the Boxster. Particularly if compare the 944/968 cabrio to the 986.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JKO_ZHP
11-30-2012, 08:55 AM
I have even more reason now to check it all out now, the ZHP basically died on me within a matter of seconds on the road a few days ago.
I know the problem was small even though the leak was big and smoke was dramatic but in the best interest of the vehicle, I went with replacing a lot of the wear and tear items. Altogether, that's a little more than this college student would like to shell out for an auto DD.

At this point, I have no problem keeping it after its all replaced and fixed up since it will be good for a while but if there is a better option with parts that are cheaper than BMW, I just might jump on a deal if it is out there.