PDA

View Full Version : angel eye trigger

nike001
11-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Has anyone here wired up their angel eyes to come on with the parking lights or such?

I'm getting sick of mine, but I do like them when my low beams are on at night.. So I figured there has to be a different way to wire them to come on and go off as I want

My front corner lights are disabled though unless using my blinker as per euro code, so I'm not sure if that would affect a new wiring trigger or not..

ryankokesh
11-07-2012, 09:50 AM
You could just wire a little toggle switch under the dash area somewhere. Turn them on and off whenever you like. :dunno

Or wire the trigger to the fogs?

nike001
11-07-2012, 10:01 AM
I thought about a switch but I don't want anything like that. I'd rather have it to my parking lights.

I've thought about and hear of people wiring them to their fogs, but I don't want that either since I don't always use my fogs lol.

danewilson77
11-07-2012, 10:28 AM
So...you do not want them to come on as drl's......basically all of the time?

You want them to only come on...when you move the light switch to position II.

johnrando
11-07-2012, 10:39 AM
I think Hugh (sillieidiot on e46f.c) has wired some up like that. You could ping him. Good guy.

ryankokesh
11-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Run the trigger wire to the trunk and to a rear light that's only on when your parking lights / nighttime lights are on?

It sounds like the problem is that your front parking lights don't come on with your low beams. If they did the front parking lights could be a trigger.

09mageec
11-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Is it possible to just get a Euro switch and wire it to one of the positions on that? Im glad i came across this thread. Im planning on ordering angel eyes soon and need to figure this out.

nike001
11-07-2012, 11:28 AM
So...you do not want them to come on as drl's......basically all of the time?

You want them to only come on...when you move the light switch to position II.

Right. No DRL mode for them.

Ideally I'd like them to come on when the switch is in position I.

ryankokesh
11-07-2012, 12:09 PM
I think using a taillight as your trigger may be your best bet. It's the best option I've got, at least.

nike001
11-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I'd rather not run a wire to the back.

I've seen a few links where you run it to your LCM and that makes them do what I want. I just don't wanna mess with wires in my LCM...
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=287252

ryankokesh
11-07-2012, 01:23 PM
dunno man

Johal E32
11-07-2012, 07:04 PM
My cousins E36's angel eyes are wired like this. The angel eyes only come on when the switch is set to I or II.

I think they are tapped with the corner parking lights as he never deleted those like some folks do.

sketchyd
11-07-2012, 07:26 PM
if your corners don't come on with the light switch, then using them as a trigger is out. it might be tricky to route the wiring, but you could splice it directly into the switch itself, and bypass the LCM (there are pluses and minuses to this, weigh them out). im not 100% sure you could make it work this way, but i'm reasonably certain there are 2 12v feeds coming FROM the switch (position I and II). i'll follow this thread and check the service info/wiring diagrams if i get a chance, maybe there's something up front usable.

nike001
11-07-2012, 07:45 PM
My cousins E36's angel eyes are wired like this. The angel eyes only come on when the switch is set to I or II.

I think they are tapped with the corner parking lights as he never deleted those like some folks do.

Yeah, those are dual filament bulbs though.. ours aren't. Apparently theres a 6V charge going to them for running lights.. and then 12V for blinker use. So if I tapped into that.. the angel eyes would blink. No bueno.

That's how I wired my angel eyes in my e39 too.. so easy.

if your corners don't come on with the light switch, then using them as a trigger is out. it might be tricky to route the wiring, but you could splice it directly into the switch itself, and bypass the LCM (there are pluses and minuses to this, weigh them out). im not 100% sure you could make it work this way, but i'm reasonably certain there are 2 12v feeds coming FROM the switch (position I and II). i'll follow this thread and check the service info/wiring diagrams if i get a chance, maybe there's something up front usable.

Yeah, they had this LCM wiring in the link I posted a few posts ago. It doesn't seem like there's anything in the engine bay I could tap.. :/

ryankokesh
11-08-2012, 07:19 AM
I know you don't want to run a wire to the trunk and tap a tail, but it really isn't as hard as it sounds. I ran one from the glovebox to get the Dice goin, and it maybe took 20 mins. Getting through the firewall is the hardest part, and people do that all the time for AE's.

das boots
11-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Running the wire through the firewall just takes time. I ran a wire from the LCM and to the Bi-Zenons. I had to have a Positive (+) charge for the flapper on the Zenons to function from Low to High and vice-versa.

But running the Halo's as an on-demand function coming from the LCMs should be specific to the LCMs if they are standard or the Euro light switch. Still does not answer to the question on how to make the Halos on-demand if the Euro switch is installed.....Dunno if this makes any sense on what I stated.

Johal E32
11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
I know you don't want to run a wire to the trunk and tap a tail, but it really isn't as hard as it sounds. I ran one from the glovebox to get the Dice goin, and it maybe took 20 mins. Getting through the firewall is the hardest part, and people do that all the time for AE's.

This is probably the best way to go.

BimmerWill
11-08-2012, 09:32 PM
When I installed my ae's to come on with interior lights I had to bring the wire in through the firewall wasn't bad at all took just a few minutes. It may be time consuming but if you are patient shouldn't require much effort.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

trancenation
11-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I do have my angel eyes wired to one of my rear tail lights. They come on in position 1 and 2. It is not necessary to run a wire to the rear of the car but rather tap into its lead connected to the LCM. If i can recall the correct wire might have been purple with yellow stripe? or brown. You might want to look into wiring diagrams with colors. Hope this helps!

BimmerWill
11-09-2012, 11:45 AM
I do have my angel eyes wired to one of my rear tail lights. They come on in position 1 and 2. It is not necessary to run a wire to the rear of the car but rather tap into its lead connected to the LCM. If i can recall the correct wire might have been purple with yellow stripe? or brown. You might want to look into wiring diagrams with colors. Hope this helps!

Great suggestion. Im not sure if the color would change as it goes through the body and wiring harness but a possible good way to check to make sure you tap the right wire would be to source the hot wire from the tail light itself. If it is a purple or brown with yellow strip then bingo there you go.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

terraphantm
11-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Has anyone here wired up their angel eyes to come on with the parking lights or such?

I'm getting sick of mine, but I do like them when my low beams are on at night.. So I figured there has to be a different way to wire them to come on and go off as I want

My front corner lights are disabled though unless using my blinker as per euro code, so I'm not sure if that would affect a new wiring trigger or not..

I used to have mine wired like this. Basically I enabled the euro city lights and ran the appropriate wires from the LCM to the front of the car (Pins 44 and 45 I think). Had to disable the error code for the city lights, but otherwise it worked like OEM. AEs would turn on with parking lights and stay off otherwise. They did not get triggered with the turn signal. And if the car was off, that parallel parking feature would turn on the AEs.

Hornung418
11-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I really have avoided angel eyes for this long, but I want then to function as DRLs but turn off or dim when the xenons are on...how can we get this to function?!?!?!

terraphantm
11-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I think you'd have to use a relay to open the circuit with the headlight connection being used as a trigger.

nike001
11-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Hyder I think I might as of your assistance on this one then since you know more about it. Maybe next week? I understand you lucky PSU ducks have all of next week off for thanksgiving!

I might want to borrow a T25 bit as well. Ever since we took my sunshade out, certain bass notes rattle my sunroof and it's driving me nuts:mob

das boots
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I used to have mine wired like this. Basically I enabled the euro city lights and ran the appropriate wires from the LCM to the front of the car (Pins 44 and 45 I think). Had to disable the error code for the city lights, but otherwise it worked like OEM. AEs would turn on with parking lights and stay off otherwise. They did not get triggered with the turn signal. And if the car was off, that parallel parking feature would turn on the AEs.

Any way to confirm on which pin you had it tapped in the LCM? How were you able to disable the error code after tapping to the LCM?

terraphantm
11-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Any way to confirm on which pin you had it tapped in the LCM? How were you able to disable the error code after tapping to the LCM?

Should be somewhere in the WDS. And I simply disabled cold and warm monitoring of the city light bulbs in NCS Expert.

Hyder I think I might as of your assistance on this one then since you know more about it. Maybe next week? I understand you lucky PSU ducks have all of next week off for thanksgiving!

I might want to borrow a T25 bit as well. Ever since we took my sunshade out, certain bass notes rattle my sunroof and it's driving me nuts:mob

Yeah that'll be fine

Tampa330i
05-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Since we already have a thread on this topic, I'll add my setup and what I'd like to do. I wired my eyes with the 'always on' method, tapping a trigger wire into the red w/white stripe & yellow dots wire in the box in the engine bay. I like this as is, but I also want to hook it up to the remote somehow. I don't want them to blink like the parking lights when you lock or unlock. I was thinking they should come on and go off like the interior lights. Can I do this by simply tapping the interior lights? Will having 2 triggers hooked up at the same time, sometimes both active, be harmful in any way? Is it possible to tap the interior lights without running the wire inside the cabin? I'm still doing my research, but I figured I would throw this in here if anyone else has it setup like this. I have predator orion v4's, 2 trigger wires.

derbo
05-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Since we already have a thread on this topic, I'll add my setup and what I'd like to do. I wired my eyes with the 'always on' method, tapping a trigger wire into the red w/white stripe & yellow dots wire in the box in the engine bay. I like this as is, but I also want to hook it up to the remote somehow. I don't want them to blink like the parking lights when you lock or unlock. I was thinking they should come on and go off like the interior lights. Can I do this by simply tapping the interior lights? Will having 2 triggers hooked up at the same time, sometimes both active, be harmful in any way? Is it possible to tap the interior lights without running the wire inside the cabin? I'm still doing my research, but I figured I would throw this in here if anyone else has it setup like this. I have predator orion v4's, 2 trigger wires.

If you hook it up to the footwell interior light power source, it will fade the AE with the interior when you unlock and lock the car as well as opening the doors. The 2nd trigger wire should be connected to the interior foot well. You should be able to pull that wire through the battery terminal bin.

Having two triggers will not be harmful if the wiring harness is setup properly. Orion should be able to tap the passenger footwell and the ECU. Have two triggers doesn't mean much except there are two inputs that are capable of turning the AE on. They have relays and diodes to prevent that from doing any harm especially if it is from an Orion V4 wiring harness.

derbo
05-10-2013, 01:06 AM

I always like this way of doing it since it has the turn signal stalk setup. I'm just very hestitant to get AE.lol

az3579
05-10-2013, 01:08 AM

My harness is hooked up in this fashion, both to that red/yellow wire and to the passenger foot well lights. They fade on and off with the interior lights when locking/unlocking and are on with the ignition as daytime running lights. They can be disabled via a switch underneath my steering column.

If they currently blink on and off with the turn signal lights when locking/unlocking, you'll have to either 1) wire them differently, or 2) code the car to not have visual confirmation upon lock/unlock.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Tampa330i
05-10-2013, 03:30 PM
If you hook it up to the footwell interior light power source, it will fade the AE with the interior when you unlock and lock the car as well as opening the doors. The 2nd trigger wire should be connected to the interior foot well. You should be able to pull that wire through the battery terminal bin.

Having two triggers will not be harmful if the wiring harness is setup properly. Orion should be able to tap the passenger footwell and the ECU. Have two triggers doesn't mean much except there are two inputs that are capable of turning the AE on. They have relays and diodes to prevent that from doing any harm especially if it is from an Orion V4 wiring harness.

This is great, thanks! I think this (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=635793&highlight=angel+eyes+remote+diy) is the process on how that's done, it looks like. I will wire this up soon and try it out. I'll get some pictures of them soon, they're extremely bright.