PDA

View Full Version : Dash board "un shiner"

PHZ
09-14-2012, 09:13 PM
The previous owner sadly put some type of shiny treatment on my dash

It has a satin finish, appealing to most people, but it's a pet peeve for me.

I'd LOVE to get it back to "factory new" MATTE finish, with NO sheen.

Help.

303, while a great product, leaves a light satin finish. This is NOT what I'm looking for.

Can I get this finish off the dash, or has it likely been impregnated with whatever substance was used?

Help GREATLY appreciated.

PHZ
09-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Any detail wizards out there? :)

M0nk3y
09-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Meguiars APC+ or something similar diluted to a 30:1 should do the trick

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

nike001
09-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Yeah, I'm afraid all of our dashes have this sheen to them. If you look where the dash curves down and where the door and part of the dash meets you can see the lighter dark that it probably used to be.

I used a lot of products on it to make it lose that shine but none really worked. I mostly believe that it's like that from time and sun.

I tried a bunch of little stuff, but I recently tried using leatherique on it and it seemed to take a good amount out, but it's still there. I hate how it looks purple in direct sunlight too..

zhpnsnv
09-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Einzett Cockpit Premium = matte. Love it.

PHZ
09-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Nike

Somewhat. I have compared with other e46s, and there is a difference on ones never treated.

I'll try leatherique- you mean the leather cleaning solution? I have the leather kit.... Never thought it would do anything for vinyl.

PHZ
09-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Mon3y

Thanx. I'll look into that

PHZ
09-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Cockpit premium.
I have some. Good stuff.

But it does NOT leave a COMPLETELY matte finish. Just a slight satin one :(

zhpnsnv
09-15-2012, 07:43 AM
I like you. You're more particular about your finishes than I am. :)

PHZ
09-15-2012, 08:51 AM
I try :)

I am picky.
I'm a designer, so form and finish are a sickness

brettbimmer
09-15-2012, 12:41 PM
I just used a damp cloth for a while to remove previous owner's sheen, but not sure if this would be appropriate to your level of sheen/flatness. :-)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
09-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I'd use a 1:5 alcohol to water solution to de-sheen, and then have your way with it with some 303.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washburn
09-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Try Einszett Tiefenpfleger - less (almost none) sheen than Cockpit premium, if lightly applied.
Also: BMW's interior cleaner leaves a non-shiny finish, at least to my eyes.

PHZ
09-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Try Einszett Tiefenpfleger - less (almost none) sheen than Cockpit premium, if lightly applied.
Also: BMW's interior cleaner leaves a non-shiny finish, at least to my eyes.

I'll look Into that!

303 leaves a light satin finish as well :(

PHZ
09-16-2012, 12:35 PM
I'd use a 1:5 alcohol to water solution to de-sheen, and then have your way with it with some 303.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standard rubbing alcohol, or Jack Daniels?

HokieZHP
09-16-2012, 04:48 PM
I started using Chemical Guys Non-Sense interior cleaner and it leaves a "un-shiner" look haha. I love it actually. Best interior cleaner I've used to date.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/NONSENsE_All_Surface_Super_Cleaner_Colorless_Od_p/spi_993_16.htm

PHZ
09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanx guys.

I guess I should clear up
My question- first I need something to remove the shine.

Then something to protect with no finish would be nice... But I need to restore to original finish first.

Would any of the suggestions for the second phase work for the first?

Washburn
09-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Most of the protectents are a form of 'dressing', IMO - 'cleaning' is not their major function, as in taking off a previous finish; so I'd say most interior dressings/'cleaners' may not work for the 'first phase'.

this is probably why people suggested water - I think i agree - water is a solvent for many things, and i would say a damp cloth (damp with water) and many passes with it, and then drying using micro fiber or similar cloth, MIGHT get off whatever is on there and get you the factory dash surface again...
Like i said though, be patient and make several passes.

In my old Tbird, some detailing company had used some horrible greasy goop and it was all shiny - dampened cloth is what I used - many passes, and i had also made the water rather warm (NOT hot), and it really did the job. All dash materials are different and may give you different results - try it - at least we know that clean, warm water can't hurt.

PHZ
09-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Washburn-

Thank you. I would have assumed water would not do the trick, but it's worth a shot, and won't damage the ash.

I'll let you know, thanx again.

Washburn
09-21-2012, 05:53 PM
you're welcome - keep us updated on the results.

zj96sc
09-21-2012, 06:46 PM
I'll have to second washburn's suggestion. I came across this largely by accident; I was blotting my alcantara wheel with a wet microfiber and dripped water on the trim of the steering wheel - went to wipe it off with the dry portion of my microfiber and found it really dulled the finish back to that out of the box OEM matte plastic look. Went ahead and did the same to the rest of the wheel trim.

PHZ
09-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I attempted a wipe down with a surgical towel and warm water. Followed by a microfiber towel buff.

Nothing. None of the sheen removed.
I'll try again.

PHZ
09-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Second set of wiped owns with water, no changes as of yet.

Meric
09-26-2012, 08:44 PM
BMW interior cleaner with new fresh smell. Got it for free the cashier was to lazy to process the item. :D It smells good and works just like you want. Give it a try.

PHZ
09-27-2012, 06:01 AM
BMW interior cleaner with new fresh smell. Got it for free the cashier was to lazy to process the item. :D It smells good and works just like you want. Give it a try.

Metric-
Thanx!. Is this a "cleaner" or a dash "treatment"? I'm trying to remove shine, not find s dash treatment per se.

Got the name of that cashier?;)

Washburn
09-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Hmmm - I am assuming the 'cleaner' properties are there, but it's still not its main function - but leaves a very nice matte finish. ( at least from what I could tell).
Doesn't hurt to try - when I bought it, it didn't come in a spray bottle, but it seems the current one does - IDK if there were any changes to the formula or not.
I suspect DuPont makes this for BMW, but not 100% sure

Sorry to hear your 'un-shining' wasn't successful :(

PHZ
09-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Hmmm - I am assuming the 'cleaner' properties are there, but it's still not its main function - but leaves a very nice matte finish. ( at least from what I could tell).
Doesn't hurt to try - when I bought it, it didn't come in a spray bottle, but it seems the current one does - IDK if there were any changes to the formula or not.
I suspect DuPont makes this for BMW, but not 100% sure

Sorry to hear your 'un-shining' wasn't successful :(

True... The only thing that hurts to "try" is a deficit in my modification budget ;)

I'll keep trying the water. It may be a simple case of repetition.

Croftgate is sending me a sample of "multi- clean" to try out on my wheels, and they suggested it would be safe to try on the dash and would likely work. I will post results on both of those. I am happy as a consumer when companies offer sample sizes to try consumables to their potential customer base. Free samples are even better, :), but at least lower priced "trial" sizes go a long way in building a customer base... I certainly don't need to add to my vast collection of "this will work!"/ damn it doesn't do as advertised products....

Other popular companies do not do this. I guess when one gets large, one looses one's hunger....

cakM3
09-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I use Einszett Cockpit Premium cleaner on my dash and then once cleaned follow up with a damp microfiber cloth and do a full wipedown. Works well for me :thumbsup

PHZ
09-27-2012, 09:05 AM
I use Einszett Cockpit Premium cleaner on my dash and then once cleaned follow up with a damp microfiber cloth and do a full wipedown. Works well for me :thumbsup

I have this as well. I think it's a good "general cleaner", but it does nothing to remove "sheen" from a distant former product.

webster
09-27-2012, 10:10 AM
i have both of these CG products:

http://www.chemicalguys.com/SPRAYable_dressing_SILK_SHINE_WEATHER_TEK_p/tvd_109_16.htm

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Tire_Shine_Protection_p/tvd_107_16.htm

i like them both. they are actually pretty similar; the silk shine is sprayabale while the VRP is applied via pad/towel. they leave a non-greasy, subtle shine that looks factory fresh.

PHZ
09-27-2012, 10:36 AM
i have both of these CG products:

http://www.chemicalguys.com/SPRAYable_dressing_SILK_SHINE_WEATHER_TEK_p/tvd_109_16.htm

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Tire_Shine_Protection_p/tvd_107_16.htm

i like them both. they are actually pretty similar; the silk shine is sprayabale while the VRP is applied via pad/towel. they leave a non-greasy, subtle shine that looks factory fresh.

Wes-
i think you may be misunderstanding what i am looking for.

I'm searching for a cleaner that will remove "subtle shine", not replace it.

I did ask CG if they sold samples of any of their cleaners, but they only sell large bottles.... which is hard to justify purchasing if you don't know it will work [hence my reference to an ever growing collection of "supposed to work" products in my garage].

But thank you anyway :)

webster
09-27-2012, 01:04 PM
gotcha. i too hate that "armor all" greasy look which is why i like those CG products. once they dry they leave a kind of "matte" finish that looks slick but not greasy. idk how to explain it..

PHZ
09-27-2012, 01:11 PM
gotcha. i too hate that "armor all" greasy look which is why i like those CG products. once they dry they leave a kind of "matte" finish that looks slick but not greasy. idk how to explain it..

That makes sense. I'd lie to potentially try them after I can remove the existing sheen.
Hopefully one day I'll find the correct cleaning agent and be a "factory finish matte" guy.

webster
09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
i would try some Optimum Power Clean. dilute it to 3:1. love that stuff! it's great for cleaning tires/wheel wells also.