PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coils: At What Mileage to Replace?

webster
09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Alright so my next major service is the Vanos/VCG/Plugs for my ZHP. i have only to order the Dr Vanos unit to complete all tools/parts associated. however, i'm wondering at ~60k miles if ignition coil replacement is also necessary. i realize that the work involved is redundant so the labor to replace is not my concern, only the cost for the parts.

so what mileage should/have you guys replace(d) your coils?

also, i've been looking at OEM v Bav Auto "High Performance" Ignition Coils which they claim increase performance/hp. anyone used these and seen any difference? i'm highly skeptical what if any performance gains can come from coils.

danewilson77
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Imo, those are an "only as needed" item in my book. I may buy some performance coils at 200k miles.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Hermes
09-12-2012, 01:48 PM
performance coils and all that upgraded stuff is not necessary unless you're running FI

danewilson77
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM
performance coils and all that upgraded stuff is not necessary unless you're running FI

Nor are BBS rims.... ;o)

Hermes
09-12-2012, 02:08 PM
you know what I meant...

basically all the ignition upgrades are not necessary on a relatively stock engine, Justin will be able to explain better when he sees this thread

danewilson77
09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
you know what I meant...

basically all the ignition upgrades are not necessary on a relatively stock engine, Justin will be able to explain better when he sees this thread

Yup. Agree. Would having them be a step in the wrong direction? I mean...is there a negative other than $$$.

Hermes
09-12-2012, 02:46 PM
no, just $$$

M0nk3y
09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
If you replace make sure they are Bosch OEM.

I keep one in my trunk. I blew a coil at 27k miles. Replace as needed. You'll know when it goes out

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

webster
09-12-2012, 03:10 PM
so this is one of those rare BMW engine parts that truly is "wait until it breaks before replacing"? good to know.

danewilson77
09-12-2012, 03:17 PM
so this is one of those rare BMW engine parts that truly is "wait until it breaks before replacing"? good to know.

Heh....nice. kinda like a fender.