PDA

View Full Version : Not actual mileage title and resale?

ryrules1
09-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I am flirting with the possibility of selling my car. I have had it for about a year, 2004 6-Speed ZHP Vert now with 80k. I bought the car for a good deal, but with some known title contingents, which I never bothered trying to fix.

The previous owner went to the DMV for a title transfer as the listed owner was her deceased husband. Out of convenience she estimated the mileage and then went to have the car smoged a few days later.

Here what happened:
9/1/2011 Mileage 68,000 ---- Title Issued*
9/5/2011 Mileage 67,200 ---- SMOG*

*I do not have the carfax in front of me so this is from memory. CA DMV.

Hence the title came back as Not Actual Mileage. I bought the car as stated with a not actual mileage title and registered the car as not actual mileage, due to convenience. At the time I was not concerned in the slightest about resale.

I don't need to sell the car, just toying with the idea. How do you think this issue will impact resale? Should I try and contact the DMV, although it happened a year ago?

johnrando
09-10-2012, 06:53 PM
No idea. Since it's only a few days/miles difference it's explainable, but it might scare away a few buyers. I'd try to get it fixed if possible.

JupiterBMW
09-10-2012, 09:44 PM
As corny as this sounds, "honesty is the best policy" with any future buyers. If you were honest with me about this, I'd be all good, and frankly it'd make me more comfortable with the car than I probably would've been otherwise.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone 4/4S hybrid on Tapatalk...

webster
09-11-2012, 11:00 AM
technically if it's titled as such it might lower your resale value, say at a dealer trade in situation. but for an enthusiast buyer, if you're honest it shouldn't be that big a deal. plus, no tamper dot = actual mileage as far as i'm concerned.

wsmeyer
09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Maintenance records always have miles on them and if those backed up the explanation it wouldn't bother me much as a buyer. Though I would use it as a bargaining chip.

William.

az3579
09-11-2012, 12:44 PM
^^ A bargaining chip that could theoretically be refuted by the lack of a tamper dot.
Unfortunately, in this day and age, anyone can go out and buy the right equipment/software and get rid of the tamper dot. Hell, even put in whatever mileage they want, without the presence of a tamper dot. Oh well. :(

UdubBadger
09-12-2012, 02:56 PM
It's too hard to resell which is why I'd never buy it knowingly in the 1st place which I think is most peoples stance so it sucks for you as a seller.

Sux that dumb people's paperwork can cost you $ in the end.
- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile