PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 330CI ZHP in SoCal, Silver, 6spd, Nav & under 60k on the wish-list.

velocity_b
09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Hey guys so ZHPs really caught my eye last year and the time has come to get my hands on one...

Here's what I'm hoping to find:
Year(s):04-06
Budget: 17-18k(ish)
Desired location of vehicle: West of the Rockies
Desired Mileage: Hoping for something under 60k
Transmission type: Manual
Desired number of Doors: 2
Desired Color combos: Silver but would be open to gray or black. Black leather interior.
Desired Packages: Not looking for a specific package but would like to find a ZHP with oem NAV/BT.

In the process of selling my car and lining up funds but figured I'd post this up because I'm looking for something fairly specific and it may take a little while...

Thanks!

Barry

NorCalZman
09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Good luck. Anything under 50k will be pushing 20G easy, and pretty hard to find, especially with high end options like Nav. I looked. A lot.

danewilson77
09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Good luck. Anything under 50k will be pushing 20G easy, and pretty hard to find, especially with high end options like Nav. I looked. A lot.

Disagree. I think West Coast he can find a 60k-75k w/nav in his budget. Time will tell I guess.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

velocity_b
09-04-2012, 06:08 PM
I've only started scouring the web since this past weekend and I've already come across a handfull of close calls.
I expect it may take a few weeks(hopefully not months) but I'm patient.

BCS_ZHP
09-04-2012, 06:20 PM
V_B,
Good luck in your search, you'll probably see some toads before you find that prince. My '04 TIAG with black leather 6 spd coupe is going up for sale shortly (as soon as i can take some pics to post an ad). But per your preferences it's too many miles (113K) and the wrong coast, albeit well below your target price range.

PHZ
09-04-2012, 07:23 PM
here ya go:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=941221

velocity_b
09-04-2012, 07:55 PM
That was one of the close calls! Just missing the NAV. :thumbsup

NorCalZman
09-04-2012, 08:12 PM
You sure you don't want to consider that car?....our Nav isn't all that great. You can get a bimmian iPhone holder and a iPhone with iOS 6 and viola you have turn by turn Nav mounted right within eyeshot. :-)

KevinC
09-04-2012, 09:47 PM
I think you'll find your car within your budget, you may just have to be patient. I had a similar wish list, other than nav - as others have said, it's no bargain and should be far from a deal-breaker if you find the "right" car otherwise. I found mine relatively quickly, but across country in Miami. Luckily my best pal lives up the road near Ft Lauderdale and is a bigtime gearhead, so he did a PPI for me and once I got the thumbs up, handled the local end of the transaction and held it until I had the hauler pick it up. 53k miles, everything on your list except nav, $18,500. See pics via link in my sig. Be patient - at your budget, you should be able to find a very nice car - eventually (or sooner than later if you're lucky like I was). Good luck!

johnrando
09-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I really like having NAV but it's definitely not the be-all to end-all, so that may help widen your choices. It took me months to find what I wanted. GL!

webster
09-05-2012, 12:16 PM
your car is out there. i paid $18k even for my car, 04 coupe with 50k miles.

i would also seriously consider that TiAg coupe in San Diego. looks immaculate.

velocity_b
09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
This was another really close call (http://www.austinmotorcars.com/vehicle-details/2daaa8172e8b9d49aaa571812d0aa7b8/) but the milage is a bit high for me and I'd prefer leather(I'm just a little bit picky:shifty)...

Gorgeous car though:

http://static.automanager.com/c/017904/2daaa8172e8b9d49aaa571812d0aa7b8/9c88e8a249_640.jpg

PHZ
09-06-2012, 12:28 PM
thats MY car! :)
just bought it Sunday

danewilson77
09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Lolz...........

velocity_b
09-06-2012, 03:35 PM
HA

PHZ
09-07-2012, 05:44 AM
I thought leather too until I sat in the cloth. :)

velocity_b
09-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Ok so after a few weeks I am realizing just how rarely these cars come onto the market.
Still looking and still only interested in a 6 speed with less than 60k but no so picky about colors pkgs or Nav any more.
I did try to contact the sellar of the silver one in San Diego but haven't heard anything back.
Its funny how much easier it would be to just get an M3 but it's not really what I'm looking for...

If anyone has any leads I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks!

danewilson77
09-25-2012, 03:19 PM
I thought leather too until I sat in the cloth. :)

+1 to this. Wouldn't have leather again if it was up to me.

danewilson77
09-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Hey guys so ZHPs really caught my eye last year and the time has come to get my hands on one...

Here's what I'm hoping to find:
Year(s):04-06
Budget: 17-18k(ish)
Desired location of vehicle: West of the Rockies
Desired Mileage: Hoping for something under 60k
Transmission type: Manual
Desired number of Doors: 2
Desired Color combos: Silver but would be open to gray or black. Black leather interior.
Desired Packages: Not looking for a specific package but would like to find a ZHP with oem NAV/BT.

In the process of selling my car and lining up funds but figured I'd post this up because I'm looking for something fairly specific and it may take a little while...

Thanks!

Barry

No Imola? I would be jumping on Marc B's whip If I were you. He is a writer for Roundel Magazine and takes stellar care of his car.

No nav...but the below BOLD items would have me sold. I know it's not 60k miles or less, but the difference between 60k and 100k on a well maintained ZHP means nothing. It's a sedan too. God damnit. Oh well.....it's a nice whip.

2005 330i (106,000 miles) VIN: = WBAEV5340KM08509
Performance Package (ZHP)
Cold Weather Package
Alcantara/Cloth interior
Silver cube trim
6 - speed
Imola Red
Xenon
Harmon Kardon
Replaced Alcantara Steering wheel with M3 tri-stitch wheel
BMW performance intake
Michelin pilot super sports (with decent life left)

Maintenance: I have invoices for all of this -
Transmission fluid at 30k, 60k and 90k (OEM)
Differential fluid at 30k, 60k and 90k (OEM)
Oil every 7,500k (OEM)
Cooling system overhaul at 75k - hoses, fluid, expansion tank, radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump, etc...
Front control arm bushings replaced after 60k
Rear shocks replaced after 55k
Rear shock mounts replaced and upgraded with Z3 mounts
Crank Case Ventilator replaced
Valve Cover Gasket replaced
Power steering hose replaced
BMW NA software update to remove 4,500 rpm stumble
o2 sensors replaced
Spark plugs replaced for a second time since 30k
Fuel filter
VANOS replaced by BMW before 30k for rattle fix.
NEW BRAKES (BMW Performance rotors, OEM pads) and fluid
New air filter
New cabin air filter
Repainted OEM M135 wheels (OEM color)
Replaced windshield washer pump
Belts all replaced
New Battery (oem) - He just got this.

velocity_b
09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Ha, yeah I'm looking for a coupe. Thanks though!
Oh just reading through some of the maintenance I did have a couple of questions:

I've read about cooling system overhauls on a couple of cars as a preventative measure. Is there a known issue with the cooling system in these cars?
Also is VANOS replacement part of regular maintenance or just if you develop an issue?

Thanks guys...

PHZ
09-25-2012, 03:55 PM
+1 to this. Wouldn't have leather again if it was up to me.

I appreciate it more and more as time goes by

danewilson77
09-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Ha, yeah I'm looking for a coupe. Thanks though!
Oh just reading through some of the maintenance I did have a couple of questions:

I've read about cooling system overhauls on a couple of cars as a preventative measure. Is there a known issue with the cooling system in these cars?
Also is VANOS replacement part of regular maintenance or just if you develop an issue?

Thanks guys...

Yes.....cooling system can only be assured for no more than 80-100k miles. Many do the overhail well before that. Expansion tank, tstat failure, WP failure and temp sensor o-ring are all places of concern.

All vanos units have inferior o-rings installed on vanos pistons, when they are built and can become brittle in as little as 20k miles. Replacing these is a must and is a very easy diy. If the zhp does not have standard vanos rattle, then it most likely will not develpoe one.

velocity_b
09-25-2012, 04:21 PM
So you only have to replace vanos if it develops a rattle or every 20k regardless? Sorry for the noob questions...

danewilson77
09-25-2012, 04:45 PM
So you only have to replace vanos if it develops a rattle or every 20k regardless? Sorry for the noob questions...

Regarding the rattle, yes. You only need to do the seals once.

All info is a www.beisansystems.com

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

webster
09-26-2012, 05:27 AM
Hey velocity, spend some time reading thru these threads:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5828-What-to-look-out-for-when-buying-a-BMW.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-DIY-and-Preventative-maintenance

velocity_b
10-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Found an 05, 55k, premium, cold, & nav here in L.A. Unfortunately it is steptronic not stick but I got a good deal.
Took it out to the Malibu canyons Sunday and had a blast! Will post a pic later... Thanks guys!

webster
10-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Found an 05, 55k, premium, cold, & nav here in L.A. Unfortunately it is steptronic not stick but I got a good deal.
Took it out to the Malibu canyons Sunday and had a blast! Will post a pic later... Thanks guys!

well, congrats on the new ride. i think you should have stuck it out for a manual, but as long as you're happy that's what counts. and yes post some pics!

PHZ
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM

congrats socal brother

TheStig
10-09-2012, 02:23 PM

I wouldn't worry about the autotragic, manual swaps are pretty straightforward. :)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Gmyrhoo7qX4J:forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D659314+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Mostly just a parts collection. Beyond that it is fairly plug and play.