PDA

View Full Version : 10 Best drivers BMW.....EVER! Well.....not exactly.

danewilson77
09-03-2012, 09:46 AM
So...I finally found it. It was a ranking put out by Bimmer Magazine, Issue #90, May 2010

Ear marking it here....so I don't lose it again. I may have to order a back issue for $10.00...just to have.

DISCLAIMER: This list is for Best Buys late models (not all time 10 greatest)...and I'm sure E30 M3, and Z4M would have made the list had this been a true "Best Drivers" list.

Fell free to discuss what you think the number one drivers car is, of all time. Lets put a stipulation on it, that it will be a street driven machine, made by BMW.

From May 2010 issue:

1. E46 330i/Ci (2003-2006)
2. E46 M3 (2001-2006)
3. E39 M5 (2000-2003)
4. E60 M5 (2006-present)
5. E63/E64 M6 (2007-present)
6. E38 750iL Sport (2001)
7. E38 740i Sport (1999-2001)
8. E31 850i/Ci six-speed (1991-1993) and 850CSi (1994-1995)
9. Z8 (2000-2003)
10. X5 4.6is (2002-2003)/4.8is (2004-2006)

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/BimmerMagMay2010.jpg

Had to add 3 of my favorite video's as well. They are other place on the site....but damn...that video with Hitler had me in stitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDKlZaboGb4&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6BYzR6Xlag&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1bNVkS181U&feature=player_embedded

M3TA5IN
09-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Interesting list

Sent from my fancy city machine.

Hermes
09-03-2012, 10:55 AM
E52 (non-Alpina) should be much higher on that list

328ioc
09-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Wow never seen the Hitler video before that's great.

I do agree with the list especially for modern bmws but i do also thinj the X5is should probably be higher than the 8ers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

az3579
09-03-2012, 03:35 PM
That list obviously has some issues.
There is no way on this green (and blue) earth that the M3 scores lower than a 330i. No. Way.

cakM3
09-03-2012, 03:59 PM
There is no way on this green (and blue) earth that the M3 scores lower than a 330i. No. Way.

got a chuckle out of this comment...;)

Johal E32
09-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Two E38's on the list lol.

And the E31 is definitely an old car. Not new by any means..

The Z3m coupe/roadster and Z4M should also be on that list..

danewilson77
09-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Reminder that the list is for "best buy late models"

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

M0nk3y
09-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Certainly the list of M's are in the correct order IMO. I think they got #1 right.

wsmeyer
09-03-2012, 04:15 PM

I didn't see a link to read the article but I could see the 330 beating the M3 if it included overall buyer satisfaction.
I think a lot of M3's were sold to people who really didn't know what they were getting into, just that they were buying "the best" 3 series and probably knocked the M for its harsh ride.

William.

Johnmadd
09-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Certainly the list of M's are in the correct order IMO. I think they got #1 right.

Intrigued with your statement, can you expand on that?

az3579
09-03-2012, 05:06 PM
I didn't see a link to read the article but I could see the 330 beating the M3 if it included overall buyer satisfaction.
I think a lot of M3's were sold to people who really didn't know what they were getting into, just that they were buying "the best" 3 series and probably knocked the M for its harsh ride.

William.

Judging by the title... "driver's BMW"... I would think the M3 takes the cake on that one.
Granted, as a car to actually own and live with, all things considered, then perhaps the ZHP trumps the M3 in that department.

Sockethead
09-03-2012, 05:39 PM
As the driver of a ZHP, 135 and an X5 4.8is, the X5 should be higher on the list: 355 hp and it handles better than most cars... In many ways it's our favorite vehicle.

cakM3
09-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Rob,

I have to say that your X5 is a beast :drool

Jon D
09-03-2012, 05:51 PM
As I recall when this was written it was about overall balance as a car to own and drive. The ZHP won due to that and the article clearly said if you want a track beast E46 M3 is better but not for all around use. Or something to that effect.

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

M0nk3y
09-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Intrigued with your statement, can you expand on that?

Sure.

The M3 IMO is the best M (besides mine of course ;)) on that list. As you move up the M group, you lose feel and response in the car. Being able to drive the E39 and E60 Ms (as well as the E92 & E90 Ms) I can confirm that there is a HUGE difference from the E39 to E60, E46 to E90. Not to mention the cost of maintenance increases as well. I haven't driven a M6, just a 650i but the feel isn't there.

The M5s are a slouch. Slow to move side to side, and they don't like and disruptions.

Washburn
09-04-2012, 09:47 AM
I am also assuming that the article takes into account the practicality of DD and maintenance and well-roundedness...
and in that case E46 330i/ci certainly IS a worthy winner, more so in ZHP flavor.

Washburn
09-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Oh, is it possible we can a scanned image (or just a good pic with a camera) of the actual page of the magazine, where they have the rankings printed ? I'd like to use it as a pic for a FB post, if permitted.

danewilson77
09-04-2012, 09:54 AM
The backdated magazine I believe is only available for purchase @ $10.00. I was gonna buy one...just cuz. Nothing online that I'm aware of.

Imola.ZHP
01-13-2013, 07:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6BYzR6Xlag&feature=player_embedded

I had not yet seen this one, LMAO, brilliant! It's true, I came here to get away from some of the stuff going on on other e46 forums...

Wow never seen the Hitler video before that's great.

I do agree with the list especially for modern bmws but i do also thinj the X5is should probably be higher than the 8ers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I fall in and out of love with the x5is, I really want one (in part because you can get it in Imola Red) but then I think about that fuel guzzling v8...

I was bidding on one on ebay a few years back and while trying to rebid (granted I had had a few to drink and got distracted between upping my bid and clicking "bid now") I accidentally clicked "buy it now." Thankfully the seller was really cool about the mistake, but I can say I "accidentally" bought one. It was perfect too, except that it was from the north, Imola Red on black, loaded...

Are you being serious or sarcastic? I've been an e46 owner for a LONG time, at some point I vaguely remember rigidity being rated better in the sedan as opposed to the coupe, especially if you don't have folding rear seats (like my car). So the m3 has us on power, but perhaps not on handling, maybe this is what the magazine is talking about. These tables were turned when the e9x was introduced, coupe was/is stiffer than the sedan... Either way, I still wish I had the m3's power, no doubt about that. While the e46 coupe/vert has grown on me over the years, I still prefer the FL sedan as far as looks go...

As the driver of a ZHP, 135 and an X5 4.8is, the X5 should be higher on the list: 355 hp and it handles better than most cars... In many ways it's our favorite vehicle.

Your swaying me to start looking for x5's again, see my comments above...

terraphantm
01-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Are you being serious or sarcastic? I've been an e46 owner for a LONG time, at some point I vaguely remember rigidity being rated better in the sedan as opposed to the coupe, especially if you don't have folding rear seats (like my car). So the m3 has us on power, but perhaps not on handling, maybe this is what the magazine is talking about. These tables were turned when the e9x was introduced, coupe was/is stiffer than the sedan... Either way, I still wish I had the m3's power, no doubt about that. While the e46 coupe/vert has grown on me over the years, I still prefer the FL sedan as far as looks go...
\

Okay couple things to note. BMW never published rigidity specs for any E46 except the convertible. The numbers floating around on the internet have no sources and were likely made up. The convertible numbers in that list are notably lower than BMW's published numbers.

Secondly, M3s generally have quite a bit more bracing than non-Ms. So even if the 330i is stiffer than a 330ci, it is probably not any stiffer than the M3.

3rd, the handling of the 330 doesn't hold a candle to the M3. Both are very stout cars, but the M3 is just another level. The suspension geometry plays a very large role in that.

Having driven both cars extensively, I would say the M3 is simply a better car. Ride harshness is about the same (assuming non-blown shocks and same tires on both cars). The only thing that might make the M3 a bit of a chore in some peoples' eyes is that the controls are generally a lot stiffer. Stiffer brake pedal, stiffer clutch, stiffer shifter, stiffer steering. But if you don't mind that (or even prefer it), the 330 has no advantages.

BlackNTan
01-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Here's my perspective having owned an E46 M3 convertible and my current E46 ZHP convertible. The ZHP is a lot more fun / pleasant to drive in everyday traffic. THe M3 was literally painful to drive around town especially with the herky jerky early generation SMG which really sucked. On the other hand, if you had an open highway, pumping the crap out of the SMG was an amazing experience. It was the only time the SMG felt "right".

terraphantm
01-13-2013, 04:52 PM
I probably should note my comparison was of the 6MT models. Never drove a ZHP auto or SMG M3

MiniD
01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
I just do not get the E39 M5 love. My father has owned one since new and he absolutely adores it. Ordered an E60 M5, but dumped it and kept the E39. Although it has PSS10 coilovers, Tubi exhaust, and other small modifications, I have never truly enjoyed driving it. I guess I'm just not into torquey/high horsepower cars. Just doesn't 'do it' for me like other BMWs.

brettbimmer
01-13-2013, 07:07 PM
DW, why am I not seeing this thread until today? Let me see if I can find the issue in the Bimmer Starkives...

No short list as this is a Mike Miller article. Good stuff!

(Bosses, if I am violating anything posting the second photo, feel free to delete. Can't really read it from the photo though.)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

danewilson77
01-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Awesome Brett. Thanks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Imola.ZHP
01-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Okay couple things to note. BMW never published rigidity specs for any E46 except the convertible. The numbers floating around on the internet have no sources and were likely made up. The convertible numbers in that list are notably lower than BMW's published numbers.

Secondly, M3s generally have quite a bit more bracing than non-Ms. So even if the 330i is stiffer than a 330ci, it is probably not any stiffer than the M3.

3rd, the handling of the 330 doesn't hold a candle to the M3. Both are very stout cars, but the M3 is just another level. The suspension geometry plays a very large role in that.

Having driven both cars extensively, I would say the M3 is simply a better car. Ride harshness is about the same (assuming non-blown shocks and same tires on both cars). The only thing that might make the M3 a bit of a chore in some peoples' eyes is that the controls are generally a lot stiffer. Stiffer brake pedal, stiffer clutch, stiffer shifter, stiffer steering. But if you don't mind that (or even prefer it), the 330 has no advantages.

Thanks for the info, you really can't believe everything you read on the interwebs, especially e46F, thanks for setting me straight *thumbsup*.

KevinC
01-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Somehow I missed this thread first time around. I'm APALLED that the E86 M Coupe is not on the list. And an X5 is? That's nuckin' futs!

HokieZHP
01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
DW, why am I not seeing this thread until today? Let me see if I can find the issue in the Bimmer Starkives...

No short list as this is a Mike Miller article. Good stuff!

(Bosses, if I am violating anything posting the second photo, feel free to delete. Can't really read it from the photo though.)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That's a poor representation of a ZHP haha. Wrong front and rear bumpers. Looks like a photoshop job.

Sockethead
01-16-2013, 05:39 AM
Somehow I missed this thread first time around. I'm APALLED that the E86 M Coupe is not on the list. And an X5 is? That's nuckin' futs!
Have you ever driven an X5 4.8is or an X5M? Two awesome machines that have to be driven to be appreciated. They will out handle and blow the doors off of most cars...

terraphantm
01-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Have you ever driven an X5 4.8is or an X5M? Two awesome machines that have to be driven to be appreciated. They will out handle and blow the doors off of most cars...

The 4.8 was an awesome car for sure, it really like it handled better than most "non-special" 3-series ;)

The X5M must feel even better, since that destroys the E46 M3 around the nurburgring (though I feel tires play a significant role in the M3's relatively crappy time)

Mike V
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
I'm not even sure what "best buy late models" means, but I assume that's why the E36 M3 isn't on there. I'd choose it over most of that list, especially the 95 which doesn't have traction control. I'd like to hear what their definition of driver's car is.

I came very close to replacing the wife's non-sport X5 4.4i with an Estoril 4.6is, but the history was sketchy. I love the 4.6is. We bought our X5 from a former CCA prez who was very meticulous with maintenance, so it was worth the peace of mind. People who don't know bmw's think it's a new car that we spent way too much on, instead of the 10 year old, $11.5k used car that it is. :)

terraphantm
01-20-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm not even sure what "best buy late models" means, but I assume that's why the E36 M3 isn't on there. I'd choose it over most of that list, especially the 95 which doesn't have traction control. I'd like to hear what their definition of driver's car is.

I came very close to replacing the wife's non-sport X5 4.4i with an Estoril 4.6is, but the history was sketchy. I love the 4.6is. We bought our X5 from a former CCA prez who was very meticulous with maintenance, so it was worth the peace of mind. People who don't know bmw's think it's a new car that we spent way too much on, instead of the 10 year old, $11.5k used car that it is. :)

E36 probably isn't considered a late model by the standards of the article.

I also happen to feel the e36 m3 is overrated, but that's another issue.

Edit: actually the 8-series made the list so I'm not sure.

zhp43867
01-21-2013, 07:41 AM

Yeah but the X5s are BIG and way off the ground.

Hmm... The M3 is definitely a stiffer and louder car than the non-M. The stock suspension seems over-sprung. M3s on coilovers often ride better than stock Ms. I flat out object to the stock E46 M3 suspension actually. Konis would probably fix my complaints.

Those words are from an M3 owner who drove my car- not mine.

terraphantm
01-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Yeah but the X5s are BIG and way off the ground.

Hmm... The M3 is definitely a stiffer and louder car than the non-M. The stock suspension seems over-sprung. M3s on coilovers often ride better than stock Ms. I flat out object to the stock E46 M3 suspension actually. Konis would probably fix my complaints.

Those words are from an M3 owner who drove my car- not mine.

Probably had blown shocks then. Mine got progressively worse as the shocks aged, but it was quite compliant in comparison to the ZHP when it was fresher. Stock spring rates are something like 140/300 F/R. Tires also make a big difference in ride quality. I do run 18s on the M, which from what I hear ride a lot better than the 19s

I've owned both cars. I personally drove about 60k on the ZHP, and I'm approaching 40k with the M3. I've driven both cars through some terrible roads. Stock I would rate both as about equally "compliant" with the same tires.

Many non-M owners also find coilovers to ride smoother as well btw. It depends on the coilover of course, but that's a sentiment you'll see almost everywhere.

M3 is definitely louder, and does have higher cruising revs. But you get used to that very quickly.

Mike V
02-02-2013, 06:53 AM
E36 probably isn't considered a late model by the standards of the article.

I also happen to feel the e36 m3 is overrated, but that's another issue.

Edit: actually the 8-series made the list so I'm not sure.

Overrated by who? I'm pretty sure I haven't heard anyone say that the E36 is the best car ever built. :p