PDA

View Full Version : found drips of oil under my car :(

330zhp90
07-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Last night my friend droped his earring on the garage floor and it went under my car, so when he went to pick it up he noticed drops of oil under the car, not near the oil pan but the upper part of the left side of the engine. I looked up and noticed the left side of the control arm was covered in oil and so was the tie rod and rubber boot. Is this the oil filter housing. Please help ZHP brothers and sisters.

Thank you :begging

danewilson77
07-26-2012, 06:07 PM
OFHG = Oil Filter Housing Gasket.

Just wanna make sure though, that when you say left side, you're referring to drivers side.

Jack it up, and pull splash shield if you have one.

Verify leak, then fix.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

das boots
07-26-2012, 06:09 PM
OFH is located in the center offset to the right behind the alternator. And that is the left side as looking forward from the driver's side.

330zhp90
07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
yes the leak is from the driver side, thanks

Hornung418
07-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Classic OFHG. And for future reference, use Driver Side and Passenger Side when describing the location. Left and right get's too confusing. :)

$6 gasket, 4 hour job.

az3579
07-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Classic OFHG. And for future reference, use Driver Side and Passenger Side when describing the location. Left and right get's too confusing. :)

$6 gasket, 4 hour job.

This. I did this job last week, first time ever doing it. It took about 4.5 hours, though the parts were a lot more than $6. I paid about $13 out the door for the gasket and two crush washers from the local dealer. Do note: you actually need to buy (3) crush washers, not (2) like some DIYs say.

das boots
07-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Dunno if you are inclined to just do the OFHG replacement. I would go further and also replace the CCV.

330zhp90
07-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Scratch that, after further investigation I found out that what's leaking is the power steering fluid

NorCalZman
07-27-2012, 01:31 PM
This. I did this job last week, first time ever doing it. It took about 4.5 hours, though the parts were a lot more than $6. I paid about $13 out the door for the gasket and two crush washers from the local dealer. Do note: you actually need to buy (3) crush washers, not (2) like some DIYs say.

4.5 hours?!? :-(

danewilson77
07-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Scratch that, after further investigation I found out that what's leaking is the power steering fluid

From what? A joint, or the cap?

330zhp90
07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Found power steering fluid leaking from driver side rubber bellow connection the steering rack to tie rod on the driver side of the car. There is a small crack I found on rubber bellow that is where the leak is coming from.

What to do?

danewilson77
07-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Found power steering fluid leaking from driver side rubber bellow connection the steering rack to tie rod on the driver side of the car. There is a small crack I found on rubber bellow that is where the leak is coming from.

What to do?

I think that means the seals on the steering rack are bad.

I'm going to say change out the seals (if possible), and if not, procure a new rack.

I know. It Sux. Sorry to hear bro.

Hornung418
07-27-2012, 04:21 PM

Crush washers for what?

Horney...via TT.

Oli77
07-27-2012, 04:23 PM
^ lower vanos hose if OP was going to do OFHG. But now leak seem to be power steering related.

330zhp90
07-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Ugh, I don't want to sound like a cheap ass but could I patch up the hole in bellow, any idea of how much a rack would cost for our cars.

danewilson77
07-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Ugh, I don't want to sound like a cheap ass but could I patch up the hole in bellow, any idea of how much a rack would cost for our cars.

No...not really. In effect, you would be trying to move the fluid pressure boundary to the bellows, which isn't designed to see that pressure.

danewilson77
07-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Crush washers for what?

Horney...via TT.

I only have the ofhg, and that's all I planned to replace.

There may be interference that needs to be removed that takes crush washers.

jayjay_dee
07-28-2012, 03:05 PM
I just finished replacing the OFHG and its not really that hard to do... its time consuming and it gets really dirty...

my car is still up on the jack stands, waiting for the clutch fan to electric fan conversion, and cooling system refresh....

fruitful weekend i would say...

WOLFN8TR
07-28-2012, 04:48 PM
I just finished replacing the OFHG and its not really that hard to do... its time consuming and it gets really dirty... my car is still up on the jack stands, waiting for the clutch fan to electric fan conversion, and cooling system refresh....
fruitful weekend i would say...

Feed back on the fan conversion, I'm interested in doing this also.

jayjay_dee
07-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Feed back on the fan conversion, I'm interested in doing this also.

will do, my fan is still in transit...

WOLFN8TR
08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
will do, my fan is still in transit...

Sweet. Click on the link below. Read the last page, might save you some headaches.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=744994&page=15

jayjay_dee
08-01-2012, 10:16 AM
thanks for the link, i already read that thread earlier during my lunch, good read...

fan and switch is coming in tomorrow, everything else came in today, cant wait to drive my ZHP again, its been 3 weeks....

sorry for the thread jack OP...