PDA

View Full Version : SSK's

nike001
07-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Does anyone here have an SSK for their ZHP? I've been looking into getting one for my car and it seems I have run into some trouble.

Our cars seem to need the bend in the lower part of the shaft (hence why the 545i shifter won't work for us)

Some threads I've ran into, has people saying that the BMW Performance shifter and the ZHP shifters are the same thing.. but I've also seen some people saying that the BMW Performance shifter & the 330d shifter were the same. I think I'm believing the latter.

Now I've spoken briefly with Terra on this and he told me to go after the BMW Performance one, because it's the same as the 330d shifter. He said that he got the 330d shifter for his M3 (which is a popular upgrade among e46 M3 owners) because the BMW Performance and the 330d shifters share the same P/N (for the M3)

Here's the thread I've skimmed for your reading pleasure:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=763236

Some (probably useless) knowledge I've found in that thread is that for the E46 M3 guys, Dinan took a 5er shifter and painted it black and slapped their sticker on it and sold it as a SSK, of course for more than the OE shifter. Perhaps $100 black paint? Tricky tricky.

HokieZHP
07-22-2012, 07:39 PM
The BMW Performance shifter and the ZHP shifter are NOT the same. I have the BMW SSK and there is a difference.

nike001
07-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Is it worth it? I didn't know you had that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HokieZHP
07-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I got it from ECS when it was $99 for the shift kit, BMW performance shift knob and a new boot. I just sold the knob for $75 and got a new boot so it was worth it haha

I bought it a week after I bought the car and was the first mod I did.

It definitely did shorten the throw, not dramatically but I did notice a difference. I'm happy with it. I'd like to step up to the UUC kit with DSSR later when I have more free cash for it.

derbo
07-22-2012, 09:14 PM
The BMW SSK is different and has a bend to the shifter unlike the ZHP Factory lever. The 330d lever looks similar to the performance shift lever.

PLEASE DO NOT get a 5 series shift lever as it is longer throw than a zhp lever. It is shorter than a non zhp car however but for our cars it's useless.

I am currently using a Z3M shift lever that is fairly short and under $100 for all the parts from the dealership.

cakM3
07-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Derek,

I have heard that the Z3M shifter provides a shorter throw but for me the 330d shifter (BMW Performance) is good enough :)

derbo
07-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Charlie,

Are you using a 330d shifter on the zhp or the m3? The m3 stock lever is soooo long compared to zhp. I wonder how much of a difference the zhp vs the 330d is. Im sure it will be noticeable and it's that's enough of a reason to get it. I personally would recommend everyone with higher mileage to get a shifter refresh. 330d, performance, or z3m :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cakM3
07-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Derek,

I'm using the 330d shifter in my ///M. I liked it so much I got a new set to put in my ZHP. I now need some time to get it installed.

I can tell you from having both cars (///M3 w/ 330d shifter, and ZHP w/ OEM shifter) there will be a noticeable difference. For some the 330d shifter isn't perfect enough to use because it is slightly off-center but feels great. As for myself, its about how the shifter feels when you are driving...feels just right! :thumbsup

webster
07-23-2012, 04:54 AM
i have the uuc + dssr, love it. definitely extra $$$ but compared to stock it's night/day

M0nk3y
07-23-2012, 05:08 AM
The Z3M/Z4M knob is short. Add a ZHP knob and it's perfect...imo

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

nike001
07-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Charlie, Will the 330d shifter fit in the zhp? If it's the same as the BMW perf one, except the small bend (which seems to be the deciding factor if shifters for or don't fit in our zhp's).. Why not just get the Performance once because it's guaranteed to fit?

Anywho, today is my day off from work, but I texted a friend to get me prices.. My price for the Performance shifter and the clip was about $48. Then free shipping of course too. I'll take it.

Crestwood1001
07-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Do you plan to DIY this? Seems to be quite the involved install

danewilson77
07-23-2012, 07:13 AM
I'm thinking he will have his shop do the work.

Hornung418
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
So what's the best rod for the five speed trans?

Horney...via TT.

nike001
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Seems like a pretty straight forward install.. only seems to take an hour or so of your time. I have a couple buddies who went to auto-school, so I'll probably have them help me

Crestwood1001
07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Am I incorrect in remembering seeing a thread that you have to drop a section of the exhaust and move the driveshaft?

HokieZHP
07-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Some people loosen the tranny mounts and drop it to get to the clip.

derbo
07-23-2012, 07:59 AM
So what's the best rod for the five speed trans?

Horney...via TT.

ZHP lever or bmw SSK or 330d.

I know the Z3M lever hits the driveshaft on a 5spd. (I tried on a coworkers car)

Hornung418
07-23-2012, 08:41 AM
330d it is then! That will be my next purchase after my Engine/Trans Mount upgrade.

Crestwood1001
07-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Some people loosen the tranny mounts and drop it to get to the clip.

Does not sound fun

HokieZHP
07-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah I had my mechanic put mine in since he has a lift.

Hornung418
07-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Does not sound fun

Not called the "Bitch Clip" for any other reason :rofl

Horney...via TT.

derbo
07-23-2012, 12:26 PM
My exhaust was dropped when I did it. The rear transmission mounts are very easy to drop anyways.

One more note is the z3m lever needs I be filed down on the sides till the plastic is flush with the metal. A little sandpaper will get it done in about 10minutes max.

nike001
07-23-2012, 12:30 PM
I've read that this can be done 100% through the top... Right?

GSEN820
07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
I have BMW Performance SSK. Put the car up on stands. No dropping exhaust needed, just some patience.

I heard you can reach from the top didnt go that route.

derbo
07-23-2012, 01:25 PM
The exhaust doesn't need to be off to do it. I happened to have it off when I did since I was installing a clutch too.

Sorry for that.

HokieZHP
07-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Derbo, how much shorter is the Z3M shifter compared to the stock ZHP shifter? I'm wondering if I could just do Z3M + DSSR instead of the UUC shifter and DSSR

wsmeyer
07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
I've read that this can be done 100% through the top... Right?

Did mine completely from the top. just took a bit of patience.

William.

cakM3
07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Charlie, Will the 330d shifter fit in the zhp? If it's the same as the BMW perf one, except the small bend (which seems to be the deciding factor if shifters for or don't fit in our zhp's).. Why not just get the Performance once because it's guaranteed to fit?

Anywho, today is my day off from work, but I texted a friend to get me prices.. My price for the Performance shifter and the clip was about $48. Then free shipping of course too. I'll take it.

Just to clear some things up here....

The BMW Performance SSK shifter is the same exact shifter as the euro 330d shifter. Part numbers are the same...
I verified this at my dealership.

I plan to install this on Saturday. I will take pics of the install and post them. There are DIYs out there...most notably MadRussian... he has a really good DIY :)

Here's an example :thumbsup
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_uuc_ssk.shtml (http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_uuc_ssk.shtml)

nike001
07-23-2012, 04:56 PM
The BMW Performance SSK shifter is the same exact shifter as the euro 330d shifter. Part numbers are the same...
I verified this at my dealership.

See, I was under the impression that they carry the same P/N for only the M3. And they're different for the 330.

wsmeyer
07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Check out this post:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5770-Derbo-s-ZHP&p=191597#post191597

That euro one pictured is not the same as the ZHP stock or the BMW Performance SSK one.

William.

wsmeyer
07-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Oh, and the BMW Performance SSK kit pictured is the one with the leather knob and the same arm as a ZHP. There is another BMW Performance kit that comes with an aluminum/alcantara knob that come with a lever with an S curve.

William.

wsmeyer
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
This is the one that comes in the BMW Performance SSK kit with the aluminum / Alcantara knob:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5770-Derbo-s-ZHP&p=191585#post191585

We really should organize all the info on SSK's into one thread.

William.

nike001
07-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Check out this post:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5770-Derbo-s-ZHP&p=191597#post191597

That euro one pictured is not the same as the ZHP stock or the BMW Performance SSK one.

William.

Here. Check this out.

This pic here is for the sale of the "BMW Performance Shift Lever" for the e46 M3 (check above the picture) but if you check the P/N, it's the same as the 330d. Also, notice the lack of the bend by the pivot ball.
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/68841_x600.jpg
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Drivetrain/Shifter/ES1895170/

VS the the "BMW Performance Shift Lever (But for the 330i)
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/181529_x600.jpg
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330Ci-M54_3.0L/Drivetrain/Shifter/Short_Shifter/ES2215288/

A said "BMW Performance Shift Lever" is NAMED the same for all cars, but for the M3 VS the 330.. they are completely different. For the M3, BMW just takes a 330d shift lever and labels it as the BMW Performance one. But for the 330, a completely new/different lever is used.

Just because the M3 guys figured this out, doesn't mean that the BMW Performance lever is just the 330d lever across all applications.

wsmeyer
07-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Here. Check this out.

This pic here is for the sale of the "BMW Performance Shift Lever" for the e46 M3 (check above the picture) but if you check the P/N, it's the same as the 330d. Also, notice the lack of the bend by the pivot ball.

A said "BMW Performance Shift Lever" is NAMED the same for all cars, but for the M3 VS the 330.. they are completely different. For the M3, BMW just takes a 330d shift lever and labels it as the BMW Performance one. But for the 330, a completely new/different lever is used.

Just because the M3 guys figured this out, doesn't mean that the BMW Performance lever is just the 330d lever across all applications.

That one you have pictured above as the BMW Performance Shift Lever for the e46 M3 looks different than the one in derbo's post that he says is the euro 330d lever: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5770-Derbo-s-ZHP&p=191597#post191597

William.

nike001
07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
That one you have pictured above as the BMW Performance Shift Lever for the e46 M3 looks different than the one in derbo's post that he says is the euro 330d lever: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5770-Derbo-s-ZHP&p=191597#post191597

William.

I think it's the same, I think the camera angle is screwing it up

wsmeyer
07-23-2012, 05:52 PM
I think it's the same, I think the camera angle is screwing it up

Certainly possible but it looks more bent to me

das boots
07-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Installed the Performance SSK 'S' Curve (Thanks Will) with UUC DSSR two weeks ago by Vince T. He had to do the change from the bottom. Removing the exhaust and place the drive line out of the way. The UUC DSSR has a few kinks. Two of the plastic bushings provided cannot be used on one of the locking pins for the circlip to lock in. The pin is possibly 2mm short for the circlip channel.

If 3rd gear is close to the center console, you should see 5th gear. It is really, really close almost hitting the console. I'm just glad I do not stay too long on 5th.

wsmeyer
07-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Installed the Performance SSK 'S' Curve (Thanks Will) with UUC DSSR two weeks ago by Vince T. He had to do the change from the bottom. Removing the exhaust and place the drive line out of the way. The UUC DSSR has a few kinks. Two of the plastic bushings provided cannot be used on one of the locking pins for the circlip to lock in. The pin is possibly 2mm short for the circlip channel.

If 3rd gear is close to the center console, you should see 5th gear. It is really, really close almost hitting the console. I'm just glad I do not stay too long on 5th.

Your welcome. The knob sitting farther forward was my complaint too and why I ended up buying the UUC. Not sure why you had trouble with the DSSR pins and bushings. Mine came assembled with the pins and clips on the DSSR so it wouldn't be possible for them to not notice a problem before sending it out.

William.

das boots
07-23-2012, 07:31 PM
No worries. It's in there. I'll settle for this 'S' Curve for now. It does the job......Until I get enough funds in the future for a full replacement.

derbo
07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Derbo, how much shorter is the Z3M shifter compared to the stock ZHP shifter? I'm wondering if I could just do Z3M + DSSR instead of the UUC shifter and DSSR

That's the best I have for comparison of the two. It's very close to the 6spd driveshaft on the bottom. The DSSR is just a rod replacement. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

zhp43867
07-23-2012, 07:59 PM
I think the BMW shorter levers with the UUC DSSR might be the best combination. I don't really like the super short throw of the Rogue, UUC, etc. and I don't think they are at all faster than stock. The BMW/DSSR combination would give a crisp, slightly shorter combination. That's what I'll do soon.

I'm up in the air on which lever. I'm really not sure which (if any) of the other BMW levers (including the one in the performance SSK) are shorter than the ZHP and don't have any change in shifter alignment.

HokieZHP
07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
I think the BMW shorter levers with the UUC DSSR might be the best combination. I don't really like the super short throw of the Rogue, UUC, etc. and I don't think they are at all faster than stock. The BMW/DSSR combination would give a crisp, slightly shorter combination. That's what I'll do soon.

I'm up in the air on which lever. I'm really not sure which (if any) of the other BMW levers (including the one in the performance SSK) are shorter than the ZHP and don't have any change in shifter alignment.

That is what I was thinking. I may buy the DSSR and try it out. Worst comes to worst, I don't like it and get a different lever. Anyone know the cheapest place to get a DSSR?

cakM3
07-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Here. Check this out.

VS the the "BMW Performance Shift Lever (But for the 330i)
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/181529_x600.jpg
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330Ci-M54_3.0L/Drivetrain/Shifter/Short_Shifter/ES2215288/

Thanks! Very interesting point...I will have to do more research apparently....good stuff here :thumbsup

zhp43867
07-24-2012, 04:51 AM
I dunno but I hear AKG is working on one for us. GB anyone?

webster
07-24-2012, 05:01 AM

FYI the UUC shifter is adjustable, you can make it longer if you want. not trying to sell here, but i bet if you've driven a UUC SSK it's been adjusted to the shortest length possible...

nike001
07-24-2012, 04:20 PM
My BMW Perf shift lever should be in tomorrow and I think that a buddy of mine from the body shop and I will be doing it tomorrow in the parking lot after work.

I'll update this thread on my thoughts of it

nike001
07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Alright - got the BMW Performance SSK installed. I enlisted the help of a friend in the BMW body shop to help after he got out (Body shop gets out 3:30, I get out @ 4:30)

Took about an hour and a half. The clip was easy to come off, but hard to get back on. Lived up to the name "bitch clip." The cup bushing was hard to get out, and easy to get back in. So those were the big hold ups. I also ended up putting the car in the air (lifts FTW) to help out.

Initial thoughts had me thinking not much had changed.. Then I drove it and realized that the bottom gears (2,4,6) are A LOT shorter. My dummy estimates are like ~30% or so. They're just the perfect distance from the neutral area. The top gears (1,3,5) didn't really change much in throw distance. I'd say ~10%.

IMO, the OE ZHP shifter was pretty perfect.. but if you're looking for a good amount shorter then this is it. It's not too short like the Z3M (IMO) where it's just moving 3 inches from gear to gear.. this shifter still provides that good 'SSK' feel without being overbearing.

derbo
07-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Zhp lever is actually pretty perfect. I liked it a lot.

nike001
07-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Zhp lever is actually pretty perfect. I liked it a lot.

Yeah, I did as well. I think that if one is looking for more agressiveness, the Performance SSK would be the first step.. and then your Z3M would probably be the next step in the agressive direction.

cakM3
07-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Alright - got the BMW Performance SSK installed. I enlisted the help of a friend in the BMW body shop to help after he got out (Body shop gets out 3:30, I get out @ 4:30)

Took about an hour and a half. The clip was easy to come off, but hard to get back on. Lived up to the name "bitch clip." The cup bushing was hard to get out, and easy to get back in. So those were the big hold ups. I also ended up putting the car in the air (lifts FTW) to help out.

Initial thoughts had me thinking not much had changed.. Then I drove it and realized that the bottom gears (2,4,6) are A LOT shorter. My dummy estimates are like ~30% or so. They're just the perfect distance from the neutral area. The top gears (1,3,5) didn't really change much in throw distance. I'd say ~10%.

IMO, the OE ZHP shifter was pretty perfect.. but if you're looking for a good amount shorter then this is it. It's not too short like the Z3M (IMO) where it's just moving 3 inches from gear to gear.. this shifter still provides that good 'SSK' feel without being overbearing.

Very nice Dalton :thumbsup

After reading this post I decided to get the BMW Performance shift lever for 330i over the 330d shift lever. Went to the dealership to exchange the part at no cost :) Great job doing the research!

Crestwood1001
07-26-2012, 07:14 AM
No pictures during the install!? Not cool man

terraphantm
07-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Hmm, it doesn't seem right that the shifter would have different throws for 1,3, and 5 compared to 2,4, and 6. You sure you didn't accidentally install the shifter backwards?

BimmerWill
07-28-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't has zhp :( but I want to do something as far as a shifter replacement as my throws are rather long and beginning to be sloppy due to wear on the ball from being driven 190+k miles. Id like to get the z3m shifter but some people on this thread say they don't like it. Any suggestions? Id love to have shorter throws but don't want to reduce driveability and would love for it to feel more gated versus "best guess" shifting due to my shifter not staying in the middle like it should.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

BADCLOWN
12-27-2015, 01:30 AM
Bumping this up: is this worth the purchase?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1093599

ELCID86
12-27-2015, 05:06 AM
I do like an SSK.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

rkneeshaw
12-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Yep, I'd do it. The OEM SSK was much better than the B&M I had. The B&M would grind going into 2nd gear on super fast shifts. Not an issue with the OEM SSK. Bundled with the DSSR seems like the perfect combo

Vas
12-27-2015, 06:26 PM
I have the bmw performance ssk in the wife's car. Really like it but it's not a huge change but still a nice improvement.

You will need a new shifter cup though.

Look up the euro shifter on ecs tuning. Same thing

ZHPizza
08-26-2020, 04:01 PM
Hell yeah I'm bringing this 5 year old thread back from the grave. You know why? Cuz I got data, bitches.

Edit: grabbed a better pic from Derbo's build thread - OE ZHP on the top, BMWP on the bottom
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5110/5593374665_b26640f5ea_b.jpg
The big difference is obviously the wild shape of the BMWP lever, but all that aside you can see that the length below the ball is like 0.25in longer on the BMWP

MEASUREMENTS were taken from a seemingly arbitrary point. I took these first pics 4 months ago so I have no idea what I was thinking. Anyway...
OE ZHP, 3rd gear = 6.0in
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200826/1848458451bbc5b89a8a732fc0eb14d0.jpg

OE ZHP, 4th gear = 2.75in
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200826/d2fe536353ade7b3ba133913d623c60e.jpg

That gives us a throw of 3.25in for the OE ZHP lever

BMWP, 3rd gear = 6.75in
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200826/0e5bb8738f03c563046c1b37df4fdb13.jpg

BMWP, 4th gear = 4.0in
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200826/583c7bfbe45da1dbc24becdf3e59b92b.jpg

Here's your numbers:
OE ZHP throw = 3.25in
BMWP throw = 2.75in

So a pretty sizeable reduction in throw!

BUT did you notice how much further forward the BMWP shifter starts and finishes? Yeah, everything is happening a little further away from the driver. I'm not yet sure how I feel about this as I was already annoyed with the throw to 5th on the stock shifter. I could definitely see this solving the elbow-into-the-armrest issue that a lot of us have when going to 2nd/4th/6th, though.

Will
08-26-2020, 09:40 PM
Nice thread revival and addition! Pretty dramatic repositioning of the shift lever, as well as a nice reduction in throw. Strange as the BMW short shift for the m3 didn't have the curvy underside.

ZHPizza
09-01-2020, 04:35 PM
Nice thread revival and addition! Pretty dramatic repositioning of the shift lever (a hair less actually), as well as a nice reduction in throw. Strange as the BMW short shift for the m3 didn't have the curvy underside.Yeah, the M3 is a completely different transmission and shifter assembly. Ours is definitely better [emoji106]

So this whole extra reach thing really bothered the shit out of me. It drove me down the path of ordering to some alternative shift levers from the Z3M and Z4M. Unfortunately the Z3M is out of stock everywhere (understeer uses this lever in their kit for our cars), but I did get my hands on this little baby Z4M lever:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/c8c6dc893526fa06732959a3e24fe98b.jpg

The distance below the ball is pretty much the same as the BMWP lever, but the top section is shorter by 1.5in. That means it sits way down in the boot like a 350z.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/2fd9cc29c2086e79b91168959cd9a221.jpg

It also has no bend to it, so it sits way off to the right in neutral:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/fba9683b69a50333ce71fdf44c563b81.jpg

And is pretty much touching the trim in 5th

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/4ef9bbff7718ad78a9d38e5cb0cd2c70.jpg

Whatever, let's check the measurements:

Z4M, 3rd gear = 5.875"

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/2cbe142d1a4152756bf20be4300cac16.jpg

Z4M, 4th gear = 3.0"

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/7200c79504001a181e44b23ff3648209.jpg

So our final comparisons are:

OE ZHP throw = 3.25in
BMWP throw = 2.75in
Z4M throw = 2.88in

ZHPizza
09-01-2020, 04:46 PM
So now you're like this dude is nuts why doesn't he just buy an aftermarket shifter well it's because I love love love LOVE the design of BMW's shift levers. The upper section is actually attached to the lower rod by a pressed-on-and-crimped-ish rubber core. This rubber core is what isolates your hand from the linkage during every shift, so you get that smooth, damped feeling that BMW's are known for.

So, I now have two shift levers that work but could be a lot better if I could change some angles on them. Now thanks to the rubber core and nylon ball, you can't just go prying on these things willy nilly. I had to get creative:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/661cf180c2fd9569f51b97b151d64e0a.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/7ba2c74d02ef310d7d3f20fdb6798cfc.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/946778f31b6a85773f51eee5ae2d3b9c.jpg

Shit worked great. Before:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/2c340d37b7e779ba5fb1e86d144505bc.jpg

After:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/0d45e72bd63a5319400672053fdb1a86.jpg

Now we're mostly centered in neutral:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/f232322837c072a84a3ae9832de2a3f1.jpg

And out of trouble in 5th:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/7a411fdea8f49e05eed8432b0fb3ced4.jpg

Note: I ended up going back and re-doing this bend as it was a little too far towards the driver's side and bounced off the trim ring going into reverse. It's perfect now, but I don't have pics.

ZHPizza
09-01-2020, 05:01 PM
So I learned a lot from making that work. Before I settle on the little Z4M lever, I should give the BMWP lever a fair shake. I bet if I can take that lower bend out of it, it'll fix the too-far-forward issue and give me a little more throw reduction via a slightly longer pivot rod. I tried several methods...

Nope:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/7dca6a4dcdbc751cd0415b7d70d5ceeb.jpg

Also nope:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/b76a6b0f4fb8d6027626adf0b391637f.jpg

The top section kept bending no matter where I set the fulcrum. I could not get that bend out from under the ball. After another dozen or so setups that weren't photographed and didn't work, I went caveman on its ass:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/2613d8bcd827d417e223dff949dbcf78.jpg

And it fricken worked dontcha know. Before:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/a92e9805a7d789071de6dfb4ce76027f.jpg

After:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/a638474231d7570fb0b510575b292864.jpg

I gained a solid 1/8in in length!

Let's see what difference it made in the fit:

Modified BMWP, 3rd gear = 5.25in
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/91d9f95bf306d9d9936d8ef05c94d675.jpg

Modified BMWP, 4th gear = 2.5in
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/d6d0151665fbc7d5985ff5aa2cd4f080.jpg

MUCH BETTER

Sitting in the driver's seat rowing through the gears with this lever just feels perfect - like the stock ZHP shifter but shorter and easier to reach each gear.

So now I have two great shifter setups, have swapped between them about 15 times to sit in the car and run through the gears making engine noises, and still haven't decided which one I want to keep in the car. Anyone want to buy one of them and help me out?

t.er
09-01-2020, 05:21 PM
I love little homebrew mods such as these. The bad thing is that all that experimentation costs a lot - now that you've bought 2 shift levers and modified both, it'll be a tough sell on the one you don't put in the car.

Also, very cool about that little bushing between the upper and lower halves of the lever, I never paid much attention to it, just threw in the BMWP lever and called it a day.

Yeah, the M3 is a completely different transmission and shifter assembly. Ours is definitely better [emoji106]

I was reading a thread on NAM3Forum where those guys were complaining about their notchy shifters - having never driven an M3 I can't comment on that, but I'm sitting over here thinking "huh, I quite like my shifter... never really complained about notchiness"

Will
09-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Simply amazing! Glad you were able to find the Goldilocks of angles and distances for your liking.

I didn't know I could have so much fun reading a couple posts about a bespoke shift lever. Lol. :cheers

Edit: It might have been Archimedes who said: “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall craft the perfect shifter... and if that doesn't work I'll get caveman on its ass."

ZHPizza
09-02-2020, 06:38 AM
I love little homebrew mods such as these. The bad thing is that all that experimentation costs a lot - now that you've bought 2 shift levers and modified both, it'll be a tough sell on the one you don't put in the car.

Yep! This is one of those things where I need to get it perfect now, while I have the driveshaft and everything removed, so I'm testing all of the options. If I lose a little bit of money selling the spare parts, whatever. I'm happy with knowing that I ended up with the best solution and the knowledge gained in the process.

It might have been Archimedes who said: “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall craft the perfect shifter... and if that doesn't work I'll get caveman on its ass."

Lol nice. We just watched Bill & Ted the other night so I'm visualizing Archimedes as the dude that played Socrates and it's perfect.

ZHPizza
05-16-2022, 03:03 AM
I ended up ordering a prebent Z3M kit from Understeer once they came back in stock and pulled the Z4M lever last night to do a true comparison:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220516/f304ed5f91800a0a3843f2f771b3e3c1.jpg

I thought the Z3M would be taller, but it falls right in the middle. I see why it's such a popular upgrade.

Going to try running my modified BMWP lever for a bit and see how I like it. The Z4M lever was perfect once I swapped on a taller, heavier knob, but I just miss the feel of the ZHP knob too much.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220515/acc9ae2ca57abfdb4c8d82d001786765.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220515/ca09cba3f1de2de60a3502c50c7e9be8.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220515/c6903adfb851c7e4a4befa8b1b872b03.jpg

YoitsTmac
05-23-2022, 10:46 PM
Nice work! I wanted to make a shifter where teh bottom half was threaded with a lock nut so you could adjust the throw, but my machine shop told me to go home :). Needless to say, you did the tinkering I wanted to do and I really admire it.

Your shifter is really low, lower than I would personally enjoy. I just switched to the UUC EVO shifter and I'm pretty on the fence about it. It's worn in now and the shifts are a little nicer, but I still long for my Rogue Engineering shifter I bought from SillieIdiot back in the day. I loved the height and felt the throw just needed to be slightly shorter. I have my uuc so much, maybe I'll swap it out. Right now I have too many projects though.

My main complaint with the UUC EVO is that with the stock selector rod, neutral looks like what was one my third gear. It's also a little low for my tastes, but it is still higher than yours ZHPizza.

I was going to do a video series where I taught all my friends stick, so I actually have some shots of my Rogue Engineering throw for if anyone was thinking about it.

sillieidiot
05-24-2022, 05:13 PM
Nice work! I wanted to make a shifter where teh bottom half was threaded with a lock nut so you could adjust the throw, but my machine shop told me to go home :). Needless to say, you did the tinkering I wanted to do and I really admire it.

Your shifter is really low, lower than I would personally enjoy. I just switched to the UUC EVO shifter and I'm pretty on the fence about it. It's worn in now and the shifts are a little nicer, but I still long for my Rogue Engineering shifter I bought from SillieIdiot back in the day. I loved the height and felt the throw just needed to be slightly shorter. I have my uuc so much, maybe I'll swap it out. Right now I have too many projects though.

My main complaint with the UUC EVO is that with the stock selector rod, neutral looks like what was one my third gear. It's also a little low for my tastes, but it is still higher than yours ZHPizza.

I was going to do a video series where I taught all my friends stick, so I actually have some shots of my Rogue Engineering throw for if anyone was thinking about it.

This is why you just go with Autosolutions. This is the kit I have now. Well mines more customized, but all the current 330 6sp kits are based off mines. Also, you can talk to Ronald and customize it to what you like too. I think it's way better than the Rogue or UUC I had before.

YoitsTmac
05-24-2022, 05:27 PM
That photo is what I sent auto solutions as a base of something I like in height and neutral position, but said he could do his magic otherwise.

Nice guy and I admire his work. I filled out everything he needed me to do to get the order started but I haven’t heard anything. That was 2,3 weeks ago. I know he’s busy. I wanted it before laguna next month but since it won’t be ready by then, I guess I’ll take it whenever it’s ready.

ZHPizza
05-25-2022, 03:02 AM

Bro have you seen Turner's take on this? I've been eyeing it since they released it but couldn't pull the trigger because I just don't trust ECS.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-584320-turner-double-adjustable-short-shift-kit/

sillieidiot
05-25-2022, 07:42 AM
That photo is what I sent auto solutions as a base of something I like in height and neutral position, but said he could do his magic otherwise.

Nice guy and I admire his work. I filled out everything he needed me to do to get the order started but I haven’t heard anything. That was 2,3 weeks ago. I know he’s busy. I wanted it before laguna next month but since it won’t be ready by then, I guess I’ll take it whenever it’s ready.

You should hit him up about it to remind him lol Don't wanna end up like mines that took like a couple years, but then again, it was a completely ground up solution.

But yeah he's cool. Super passionate and loves talking about his work and thought process. Kind of in the same vein as John Mason from Mason Engineering and my body shop guy.

YoitsTmac
05-25-2022, 09:27 PM
Bro have you seen Turner's take on this? I've been eyeing it since they released it but couldn't pull the trigger because I just don't trust ECS.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-584320-turner-double-adjustable-short-shift-kit/

I DID!!! I was deciding between that and the EVO when purchasing a shifter. I called Turner/ECS and sent an email and just said I wanted a photo or something of the 6spd model so I know it's not vaporware. I mean, our shifter was only made for so many years. So I wanted to make sure they actually made it and didn't use it from another car and just say it fits. They said they can't prove it or send pics but that "they do have it". F*ck that noise lol.

You should hit him up about it to remind him lol Don't wanna end up like mines that took like a couple years, but then again, it was a completely ground up solution.

But yeah he's cool. Super passionate and loves talking about his work and thought process. Kind of in the same vein as John Mason from Mason Engineering and my body shop guy.

I first reached out in the fall of 21, so I'm already on a similar timeline. It's my understanding he had some personal life things going on that led him to not making shifters for a while, so it's not a big deal. And like I said, I won't get it in by Laguna so now it can come whenever. I already bough the UUC EVO because my old shifter was so dead. I'll touch base next month though. This month's car budget is just tapped