PDA

View Full Version : ECS tuning

gammagoblin
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Found this on another forum. If you google for it you will see some more info. A heads up for you guys. I used them a while back and have not had any weird CC activity and don't store my info online but who knows :fingerscrossed

Dear Customer

We value the relationship with you and we look forward to serving your future needs. Regrettably, we must inform you that between May 6th and May 10th, 2012, unauthorized access by an unknown third party concerning customers' personal information associated with pending and recently shipped orders occurred. Accessed personal information includes your name, address, email address, phone number, ECS customer account password, debit or credit card number, credit or debit card expiration date, and debit or credit card security code or access code. We have taken prompt action to secure the system to prevent any further compromises.

Please be assured that ECS Tuning Incorporated is taking this matter very seriously. We have worked diligently to investigate the unauthorized activity and have identified and secured the method of unauthorized access. We have notified the credit card companies and have provided them with information they have requested so they can notify the banks that issued the affected credit cards. We have also filed a case with the local Wadsworth, Ohio Police Department (Case# 21205162) and are cooperating with their investigation.

As a result of this incident, ECS Tuning, Inc. has implemented additional security measures, eliminated the storage of all credit and debit card information and follows industry best practices to prevent this type of occurrence from happening again in the future.

Although ECS Tuning, Inc. has secured the system and taken preventative measures for the future, we want to warn you that you face a risk of unauthorized use of your information. Although we have not been notified of any instances at this point, unauthorized access to sensitive information always poses a risk of identity theft. We therefore want to describe certain steps that you can take to protect yourself against identity theft. We suggest that you carefully review all bills and account statements you may receive over the next several months, and report any suspicious activity to the financial institution of the account at issue. If you think that your personal information is being improperly used in any manner, you can also contact local law enforcement to file a police report. The Office of the Privacy Commissioner provides guidelines on protecting yourself from identify theft. To access them, visit: http://www.priv.gc.ca/resource/ii_4_01e.cfm. You can also contact the Privacy Commissioner by toll-free phone at 1-800-282-1376.

danewilson77
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

BimmerWill
06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Would have like to have an email from them notifying me but I do appreciate the heads up like Dane said.
Thanks Gamma

gammagoblin
06-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Apparently people are getting snail mails:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40363

NorCalZman
06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
My first purchase with them was on May 18th. I guess I just squeaked by. Phew.

llll1l1ll
06-27-2012, 05:46 AM
I never got any mail or email notification. The only thing I found was that they had purposefully reset my password at some point, because I had to get a new one when I wanted to order my power extractor.

Now I'm scurrd.

danewilson77
06-27-2012, 06:10 AM
What would any of you guys do if you did get an email?

llll1l1ll
06-27-2012, 06:20 AM
I dunno... Keep an eye on my checking account, I suppose. That's about the most I could do.

danewilson77
06-27-2012, 06:23 AM
I dunno... Keep an eye on my checking account, I suppose. That's about the most I could do.

That's what I was thinking....which is what we should be doing anyway......so.....

If I get a letter = OK

If I don't get a letter = OK

johnrando
06-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Well if it wasn't for this post, I wouldn't have known about it as I use them, but I'm not on their site a lot. Therefore, I would have definitely preferred a letter for extra vigilance.

danewilson77
06-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Well if it wasn't for this post, I wouldn't have known about it as I use them, but I'm not on their site a lot. Therefore, I would have definitely preferred a letter for extra vigilance.

Agree...and the fact they should feel obligated to send (imho in an expeditious fashion)

llll1l1ll
06-27-2012, 06:57 AM
That's what I was thinking....which is what we should be doing anyway......so.....

If I get a letter = OK

If I don't get a letter = OK

Yeah I check mine about four times a week regardless of letters from companies claiming their information has been hacked. Any unknown purchase shall be scrutinized until the source of the issue is found.