PDA

View Full Version : Rough start

DirtyPillows
06-04-2012, 12:28 PM
So recently when I try to Turn my car on in the morning it will have trouble. So normally when you crank it to start it you will hear about 2 or so cranks and it should kick in a start but now when I do it I get the 2+ cranks and then it sounds like the engine dies then a second later it kicks in. Almost like it was going to start then it gives up then kicks in right after. This happens only in the mornings or when I let the car sit a while. Does anyone have an idea what this could be? I will try to get a video up sometime this week when I have time.

Thanks dirty

telijah
06-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Possibly low battery charge? Or, since it is happening after sitting a while, could be a fuel problem (pump, filter etc) but you would need to check fuel pressure at the rail when trying to start.

brettbimmer
06-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Hmmm...computer problem? I get this in my E36 if I turn the key to start, then let go before it actually starts. The second time I try it, it cranks & cranks, and cranks, and finally fires off. I am sure that some of the ZHP gurus will chime in here with other ideas!

DirtyPillows
06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
It's not like it's cranking for awhile. It does the normal 2 cranks sounds like it dies and then second later starts.

Feels like when you put the car into gear and let the car choke but at last second you step on gas to keep it going.

I hope it's battery cause that's easy to fix but I haven't noticed any issues with the electronics so I don't know.

iZHP
06-04-2012, 03:43 PM
What's the date stamp on your battery? It should be on a sticker or on either battery terminal.

Hornung418
06-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I get this with my old fuel filter. I need to change it.

Johnmadd
06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
I would order a new fuel pump and keep it in the trunk just in case... if you haven't changed it before. Mileage?

nickershocker
06-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I get this with my old fuel filter. I need to change it.
Remember that replacing a fuel filter is a lot cheaper than replacing a filter and a fuel pump. Think of how much harder the pump has to work when the fuel going thru is dirty and more viscous. (Coming from someone who had to replace both.)

To OP: Do your fuel filter if you haven't done it. It probably needs it. If you have already tried this, then good going! And good luck with the next things to attempt down the list.

llll1l1ll
06-05-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm going with fuel delivery issue on this one.

Meric
06-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Hold key at 2 for 3 seconds and turn the key and leave it dont hold it till car starts. If the car wont start its probably dying starter motor or dying battery. Can be fuel delivery too..

DirtyPillows
06-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks input i will be test some things out and try to get video out soon