PDA

View Full Version : Any low dust pads for ummm, aggressive drivers?

sna77
05-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I've used Akenobos, and AXXIS pads in the past... While both of them had considerably less brake dust, the lack of stopping power was terrible compared to OEM pads and I wouldn't use them again on my own car.

I think I'm sick of cleaning my wheels. But not enough so to change my driving habits...

I guess I don't really care if they wear out quicker (relatively cheap, easy to install yourself), but there must be something that's a compromise between performance and a lack of black filth of OEM pads...

derbo
05-13-2012, 04:59 PM
sna77, cool carbons are your best bet. I loved these pads for the street. They just didn't fair well at the tracks and I ultimately went back to OEM for street and Track only pads for the track.

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/

I think bavauto has them for $204 for the whole set.

sna77
05-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Googling around, a few other options... Looking for member feedback onany experiences with them...

Cool Carbon
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=CC-7592-D946-ST&catalog_description=Cool%20Carbon%20Performance%20 Brake%20Pad%20Set%2C%20FRONT%2C%20BMW%20E46%20330i %2FCi%2FCiC%20%282001-06%29

via Bav Auto:
Cool Carbon street/track brake pads. Designed for high performance driving, these pads use a compound that was developed at German R&D facilities and tested extensively on the Autobahn. The specially formulated material includes both brass and a special "hollow" ceramic structure that exhibits excellent heat dissipation characteristics. As a result, these pads offer exceptional braking at both low and high temperatures. You get excellent initial bite, consistent torque and very good fade resistance. In addition, the pads are long-life, low-dust, rotor friendly and quiet. This makes them suitable for both daily street use and weekend track events. Made in Germany. Note: We highly recommend you replace the brake sensor wire with the pads to ensure proper operation of your brake pad thickness warning light system.

EBC Redstuff
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325i-M54_2.5L/Braking/Pads/ES517766/

EBC Redstuff brake pads are designed for high performance models that are driven aggressively on the street. Featuring a low dusting compound, that offers stopping power even when your brake discs are cold. This material is a Kevlar fiber based brake compound enhanced with ceramic particles. If you have previously tried EBC Redstuff (pre-ceramic compound) this material is light years ahead. It lasts longer, it brakes better and is quieter.

Being a hard wearing pad, bed-in times can be as long as 1000 miles and drivers must be patient until the pad takes up the shape of their disc (brake rotor). This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking.

Hawk HPS
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1080-hawk-hps-street-brake-pads-front-e32-e34-e36-m3-e46-330-e46-m3-mz3-mz4-z4-30si.aspx

A high-performance street pad with much-improved braking performance and significantly reduced brake dust. The HPS pads are perfect for drivers who don’t want an ordinary replacement pad and want something that will hold up for aggressive street and light autocross/track driving. With the HPS pads you can expect:
Increased stopping power even when the pads are cold
Longer pad life
Low dust compared with other performance pads
Quiet operation

sna77
05-13-2012, 05:05 PM
sna77, cool carbons are your best bet. I loved these pads for the street. They just didn't fair well at the tracks and I ultimately went back to OEM for street and Track only pads for the track.

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/

I think bavauto has them for $204 for the whole set.

Interesting, I may give them a try. My brakes are less than a year old (new OEM pads + rotors). I may just buy a pair of fronts and pad slap them to see how they are--the backs don't really get that dusty.

thanks

derbo
05-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I have used Hawk HPS and they are DUST monsters. I have no experience with Redstuff however. Cool carbons don't have the same initial bite as OEM but they do dust alot less and is adequate for the street. I personally didn't mind them till my braking requirements went higher.

zhp43867
05-13-2012, 05:27 PM
No not really. Some pads like what I'm using now (Performance Friction) don't dust much at all until they get heated up (really hard driving) then they dust a ton. There is no magic bullet, no cure, no golden ticket. Pick your compromise between price, dusting, bite, noise, and fade.

I for one am happy with the Performance Friction Zs. As much stopping power as stock, and if I drive stupid I get rewarded with a mountain of brake dust (no more than stock), otherwise they stay fairly clean.

Stock pads and Stoptechs dust like crazy and Akebonos can't stop worth a damn.

brettbimmer
05-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I have used Hawk HPS and they are DUST monsters. I have no experience with Redstuff however. Cool carbons don't have the same initial bite as OEM but they do dust alot less and is adequate for the street. I personally didn't mind them till my braking requirements went higher.

X2 on what Derbo has said here. Hawk HPS are a messy pad, and the Cool Carbons eh...maybe.

I have heard a lot of positive feedback about Performance Friction Z pads that I just put them on the ZHP last week. They seem really good thus far, but I have not gotten many miles on them. Nonetheless, they came highly recommended to me, which is why I decided to fork over the extra pork for them.

Hermes
05-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I have used Hawk HPS and they are DUST monsters.

I have those in right now and I dont think they dust much. They did take a little while to completely bed in but they feel pretty good now

HokieZHP
05-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I also have the performance friction z's and am very happy with their performance. They do dust a lot though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rovert
05-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Try Stoptech Street Performance. I've repeatedly hammered them from 60mph to 10mph and after a dozen times I don't get brake fade. The brakes grab fine when cold and they aren't as mushy as Akebono's feel. It's just a nice linear feeling of brakes minus that extreme initial bite of OEM pads.

danewilson77
05-15-2012, 04:10 AM
Try Stoptech Street Performance. I've repeatedly hammered them from 60mph to 10mph and after a dozen times I don't get brake fade. The brakes grab fine when cold and they aren't as mushy as Akebono's feel. It's just a nice linear feeling of brakes minus that extreme initial bite of OEM pads.

I don't think these are low dust though. Trevor?

UdubBadger
05-15-2012, 01:25 PM
oh yeah, cool carbons for sure. love um with my dusty 1 series BBK

Rovert
05-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Mine don't dust as much as OEM pads. When it does start to collect after 300 miles it gives off a slight red/orange hue that's sooo easy to clean off compared to the black dust of OEM pads.

Sockethead
05-16-2012, 04:07 AM
I had Axxis pads on my car for a while. Very low dust. They weren't too bad until I did a track day and they were never right since. They also ate the crap out of my rotors. When I removed the pads at 50% and Mic'd the rotors, they were already at their wear limit.
I've since replaced with Hawk HPS. Kpro recomemned these and they were great on her 325. a lot less dust too She uses these on all of her cars over the years and with over 40 track days, I trust her opinion

sna77
06-29-2012, 02:24 AM
oh yeah, cool carbons for sure. love um with my dusty 1 series BBK

So installed these last night with new OEM rotors in the front (left OEM / rotors and pads in the back). Finished up late, then took the car straight onto the highway to bed the brakes. They're OK so far. Initial bite is definitely not OEM. I'll report back over the life of the pads. The pads have this cheesey chrome plate on them which caused excessive harrassment from my mechanic. ;)

HokieZHP
06-29-2012, 02:32 AM
I think the "cheesy chrome pad" is to reduce squealing. It lowers the sounds frequency of the pads, thereby making them not squeal. Could be wrong though. I've been up studying engineering all night so i'm in engineer mode lol

sna77
06-29-2012, 02:46 AM
I think the "cheesy chrome pad" is to reduce squealing. It lowers the sounds frequency of the pads, thereby making them not squeal. Could be wrong though. I've been up studying engineering all night so i'm in engineer mode lol

Well they could have made the plaque thingy in black so you dont notice it... :)

nk_zhp
06-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Textar CeramicFusion. For the street this is an AWESOME pad.

Junior2552
07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I've heard Mintex pads are pretty light on the dust, but as others have said, you'll probably compromise bite.

sna77
07-03-2012, 08:06 AM
a pic of how shitty these pads look once installed. Since the wheels are finally clean, they stand out even more. LOL

Smilez
07-03-2012, 08:12 AM
hawk hps do have a lot of dust and are squeaky if you ask me.
stoptech produces bit more dust than hawk and great stopping power.

ceramic pads usally have the least dust, however, they aren't as great for stopping.