PDA

View Full Version : service records - dealer can't pull??

KevinC
05-04-2012, 04:38 PM
My "new" ZHP is on its way to me from Florida. I decided to email the lame SA at my local stealership I was last dealing with when my M Coupe was under free factory maintenance. I told him I was considering purchasing this 330Ci and could he pull its maintenance records for me, here's the VIN... with an implication (indirectly!) that it too would be serviced at his humble stealership (NFW, but hey...). He replied that since it's never been serviced THERE, there is nothing he can see/look up. Is that true? I thought any stealership service records could be accessed by any stealership? What's the true skinny here? Thanks...

danewilson77
05-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I think the dealer can look up previous service visits to any BMW dealership.

Sent from SIGFest 2012

midlandtech
05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Dane is right any dealer can pull the cars history... They (the dealerships) share a common database

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nike001
05-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Yep. I've had all of my records pulled at my local dealer.. and my car was originally a Maryland car.

ryankokesh
05-04-2012, 07:00 PM
That's the same thing I was told as well at my local dealer when I purchased my zhp. Calling the dealership it was serviced at didn't help either - I was told since I wasn't the owner when it was serviced they couldn't give me the records.

Katu
05-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Yep. I've had all of my records pulled at my local dealer.. and my car was originally a Maryland car.

+1

Jon D
05-05-2012, 09:00 AM
That's the same thing I was told as well at my local dealer when I purchased my zhp. Calling the dealership it was serviced at didn't help either - I was told since I wasn't the owner when it was serviced they couldn't give me the records.

That's BS. they just can't give the old owners info. My dealer printed it off and tore the original owners info off. Handed me service history.

MrMaico
05-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Can't help with your service records but I found this VIN decoder that will tell you your cars exact day of production.

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

Just missed my cars birthday.....4-29-04.

webster
05-05-2012, 12:22 PM
4-14-04 for me!

ryankokesh
05-05-2012, 05:41 PM
That's BS. they just can't give the old owners info. My dealer printed it off and tore the original owners info off. Handed me service history.

My local dealer is bs in general, so that follows logically...

Pip
05-17-2012, 08:19 AM
PM'd with records.

NorCalZman
05-17-2012, 09:07 AM
I just asked my dealer and he said they were not connected to any database and he couldnt pull them for me unless it was bought and serviced at their dealership. :( ugh.

midlandtech
05-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Odd I have had mine pulled and have the list at home including all the work done by a dealer in Cali (records were pulled in KC)

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexandre
11-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Gonna bump this as I'd like to have mine as well... Any SA's on the board who could help me out ? VIN is KM04760, car was originally from CT.

330i ZHP
11-06-2012, 06:57 AM
When I bought the touring used - i called BMWUSA and they faxed me the complete history of all dealer services - both originally in CA and then later in TX.

They were also able to disclose the recall info for emissions and they were the only ones (thankfully the Porsche dealer didnt) that knew the car was CPO.

Once I knew the CPO part - i bought the car instantly - although I was going to anyway

alexandre
11-06-2012, 07:16 AM
When was that? I've called the dealer where most service as been done, and BMWNA, and both don't want to do anything.

PHZ
11-06-2012, 08:09 AM
BMWUSA told me to contact the dealer where it was sold.... which i did... and they have not bothered to even return my email [BMW of Riverside].

Talk about passing the buck... thanx BMW

I would LOVE to have the history of my car....

Johal E32
11-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Can anyone here pull service records via VIN number? I mean, does anyone have acces to the database, or does anyone work at the dealer and are willing to pull up service records?

Thanks in advance!

-I would ask the local dealer, but most of the people at the counter are lazy as hell, and will probably say they can't do it..

330i ZHP
11-06-2012, 09:23 PM
When was that? I've called the dealer where most service as been done, and BMWNA, and both don't want to do anything.

October 2007 (damn how time flies)

alexandre
11-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Can anyone here pull service records via VIN number? I mean, does anyone have acces to the database, or does anyone work at the dealer and are willing to pull up service records?

Thanks in advance!

-I would ask the local dealer, but most of the people at the counter are lazy as hell, and will probably say they can't do it..

Gonna second this. Feel free to PM if you don't want this to turn into a full-time job...

In the meantime I left a voicemail at the dealer who serviced my car for the first 150k miles. All work was DIY/indy after that.

October 2007 (damn how time flies)

I think policies changed since then - I know Canadians abused this system to get out of the $500 "recall clearance letter" that BMW Canada sells to people who want to import US cars in Canada. Dealer records showed any open/closed recalls and were admissible for the import process.

terraphantm
11-08-2012, 02:06 AM
They can pull them, but I think there are some legal (or company policy) issues with giving the info out.

Generally they're willing to print out the list of short codes for the current owner, but refuse to print out the full invoices for anyone except the owner who had the car at the time of service.