PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel comparison question

NorCalZman
04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
First newbie question. Did a search and I guess no one is wondering the same thing, haha. I am wondering if anyone knows what the difference in thickness is of the Alcantara wheel and the perforated leather wheel. Guy I know at the dealer is trying to tell me the perforated wheel is closer to a stock 3 series wheel in thickness (which isn't very thick in my mind).

bimmeryota
04-29-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't think the guy at the dealer is correct. I used to have a normal ZSP wheel and considered doing the perf wheel but it was too much money and went with leather. My memory leads me to believe that it is closer, if not the same, diameter as the alcantara and leather M/ZHP wheels.

NorCalZman
04-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't think the guy at the dealer is correct. I used to have a normal ZSP wheel and considered doing the perf wheel but it was too much money and went with leather. My memory leads me to believe that it is closer, if not the same, diameter as the alcantara and leather M/ZHP wheels.

Im thinking that too. and I have been spending time (too much maybe) in the show interior thread comparing the wheels and they look the same to me. Just wanted to confirm from someone with first hand experience before I order the perf leather wheel.

webster
04-29-2012, 10:43 AM
perf leather is roughly same dimensions as regular leather and alcantara. difference is miniscule, if any.

Sockethead
04-29-2012, 12:06 PM
They are all M wheels so they are the same thickness...

Hermes
04-29-2012, 01:06 PM
My perforated wheel doesn't seem any thicker than the other versions

nike001
04-29-2012, 02:12 PM
When I was getting my re-wrap from Coby he told me that he had a leather wheel from and M3 and that it would bit a bit thicker.. and asked if I wanted him to wrap that one or just another zhp core.

I went with the core. But I feel like Terra's OEM alcantara wheel is thicker than mine..

zhp43867
04-30-2012, 04:54 AM
I feel the M3 leather might be a tad bit thicker than the Alcantara wheel, and the perforated may be around the of the Alcantara wheel, not sure though. The perforated is certainly thicker than the sport 3 series thin wheel, yuck.

NorCalZman
05-01-2012, 08:45 AM
In case anyone is wondering, a new ZHP perf leather wheel is around 900 dollars.

zj96sc
05-01-2012, 09:00 AM
i have an ZCP alcantara wheel and M3 leather wheel at home, can measure them if i can track down a flexible tape.

Sockethead
05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
i have an ZCP alcantara wheel and M3 leather wheel at home, can measure them if i can track down a flexible tape.
Just use a piece of string and measure the string

danewilson77
05-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I will tell you...I love the thickness of my wheel.....leather with a wheelskin around it (4.25 in)

coby1
05-02-2012, 04:50 PM
the regular blk stitch Alcantara wheel is slightly thinner vs the m3 leather and the comp/zcp (color stitch Alcantara wheels) at same time these wheels are a mixed bag and i have seen all sizes after doing probably 300+ wheels it may depend on production date (and what overseas shop produced them)
Mike

zj96sc
05-02-2012, 05:24 PM
My non-tristitch leather M wheel is 4 1/4" in circumference.

My tristitch alcantara ZCP wheel is 4 3/8" in circumference.

webster
05-02-2012, 06:34 PM
i love my coby alcantara wheel. somehow alcantara just feels nicer than leather IMO, and even if it does wear down faster, with the price of the coby wheel, it's worth it. you could go through 2-3 coby re-wraps and still be under the price of a new OEM wheel...ftw!

NorCalZman
05-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I just got done at a meet and greet for the local BMW club. A newer ZHP coupe was there and he has the perforated wheel. I can say that they feel exactly the same thickness, and to my hands it feels much better. So I am going to splurge and order one! Anyone interested in a near mint alcantara wheel?? :)

terraphantm
05-06-2012, 09:38 PM
When I was getting my re-wrap from Coby he told me that he had a leather wheel from and M3 and that it would bit a bit thicker.. and asked if I wanted him to wrap that one or just another zhp core.

I went with the core. But I feel like Terra's OEM alcantara wheel is thicker than mine..

Mine is a ZCP wheel, so that might be why