PDA

View Full Version : Replaced RTAB's, Car Sitting Higher In Rear

cannan
04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I replaced my RTAB's this afternoon with some Meyle HD's with limiters. The rear of the car is sitting visibility higher in the rear after the install. I double checked that the springs were re-seated correctly and they are, I'm not really sure what else could cause the higher setting of the car. The rest of the suspension is stock.

Minus the alignment which is being done Monday morning the car seems to drive just fine. Is it normal for the rear to be higher after the install, does it just need time to settle? I wish I had some before pictures but I can snap a few tomorrow morning to get a visual description too....

Johnmadd
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
If they were worn bad then my guess is fresh ones could raise it the height from the new rubber not having any give to it yet.

Hermes
04-14-2012, 05:45 PM
How much do you mean, a few mm or over a cm?

cannan
04-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Hard to tell exactly what the measurements would be since I don't have an pre-installation measurements - I wish I did. However, I would lean more towards a cm. Before they were changed out there was little to no wheel gap. Now there is a visible wheel gap.

Hermes
04-14-2012, 05:57 PM
I would say my car (stock suspension) has about a 2 finger gap for the rears

Edit: this is the only pic I could find of my rears showing the fender. Sorry it's not exactly focused on the rear wheel but you can still see that there is a gap

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/9-18-11/DSC_9622.jpg

cannan
04-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Oh, then maybe I'm okay then. Mine is no more than a two finger gap as it sits now with the new RTAB's. I just went through a few of the for sale ads and they seem to be on par with what I'm seeing right now. I'm going to snap a side view picture tomorrow and see if it jives with what others on the board have with the OEM suspension just to make sure.

It was just weird to me visually to see the rear end up like that, I went back through the entire install to make sure everything was in place and tight.

LivesNearCostco
04-14-2012, 07:41 PM
If you didn't angle the RTAB carriers properly before tightening the bolt that goes through them, the preload of new RTABs might make the rear ride higher by 1mm or 2mm, but if the typical finger is 10-15mm wide then I'm not sure you would notice an extra 1mm. Or maybe the rear springs are not fully seated on their spring pads? Also whenever I raise the rear of my car and set it back down, the rear ride height is noticeably higher until the car has been driven a few feet.

Ryans323i
04-15-2012, 09:07 AM
If you didn't angle the RTAB carriers properly before tightening the bolt that goes through them, the preload of new RTABs might make the rear ride higher by 1mm or 2mm, but if the typical finger is 10-15mm wide then I'm not sure you would notice an extra 1mm. Or maybe the rear springs are not fully seated on their spring pads? Also whenever I raise the rear of my car and set it back down, the rear ride height is noticeably higher until the car has been driven a few feet.

This was my thought.

cannan
04-15-2012, 10:05 AM
I got it straight this morning. It was the spring off the perch just enough. Not sure how or when that happened because that was the first thing I checked last night when I was finished and it looked good. I must have overlooked it since I just had a shop light. Good go to now. Just need to get a nice alignment in the morning and I'm all set.