PDA

View Full Version : Why I might never buy another car...

zhpnsnv
03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Now, we all know that's not true. At some point I'll waver on my automotive desires, my taste will change, and I'll give in. But for right now, my ZHP hits all the right notes for so many reasons. Every time a new car comes out, I go and build one online. Each time, there is something that holds me back.

- I don't have to press "sport" to make it "sporty" -- it just is.
- I don't have to adjust the steering feel to make it sporty -- it just is.
- I don't have to adjust the suspension to make it sporty -- it just is.
- It doesn't turn off at a stop light.
- I can check the oil by looking at the actual level of oil.
- When the engine makes a noise, I hear that noise, not a fake version previously recorded by BMW coming out of the speakers.
- Generally, it can be fixed by someone who knows cars and who doesn't need access to the source codes of Zion or the mainframe of some supercomputer.
- My dash is not covered with a NAV that will be obsolete before it takes me to my desired destination.
- It's the general size I happen to think a sedan should be.
- It has a spare tire.
- It has xenon lights that did not have to be paired to the entire premium package, thus costing the original owner over 3 grand (that's a shot at the F30 for those not paying attention).
- It has a cloth interior. What BMW in the future will offer this at a reasonable price on an everyday car?
- I don't have to fool around with a joystick (that's what she said) - if I desire a function, I press that function's button, and then the gnomes inside the car make said function happen.
- I can tell the transmission when to disengage from the flywheel via the clutch.
- It has an interior/dash layout that realizes I'm the driver and orients important information in my direction.
- It fits like a glove!

I know, these are the rants of "tradition," but I really like the ZHP, and sadly, many of the aforementioned features are going away. They're moving our cheese. Any reason why the rest of you forego newer BMWs in favor of the E46?

I will admit this, though, I'd probably be driving a 135i msport had the 1M not come out. Can't drive a 135 knowing the 1M is out there.

mb

gr330zhp
03-22-2012, 12:11 PM
I totally know what you mean. I too wonder often what i will actually decide on next and I really dont know

HTC Merge

ryankokesh
03-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Lol, great post :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oli77
03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Every single one of your point is awesome and true. A gem, I tell you.

BRGcoopahS
03-22-2012, 01:07 PM
I agree completely. I think 2005/6 was the last great years of cars before they got overly electronified and appliance-like. There arent too many cars I'd want to own past 2006.

I remember when me and my father were shopping for my MINI years ago, and the salesperson asked me if I wanted the turbo MINI. I told her no and she asked why not. I said they're too modern/busy/not as raw/uglier. Something along those lines. I was 20 then and I still stand by that.

johnrando
03-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Can't argue with any of those (although my particular version is a STEP/vert, I definitely agree with your take on manual). All very good reasons for keeping this car. I truly don't see myself replacing this car... meaning if I do get something else, this one is staying. Just like my 1980 TR8 is staying.

Hermes
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
This is exactly why my newest addition is 36 years older than my ZHP

zhpnsnv
03-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Lol, great post :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Every single one of your point is awesome and true. A gem, I tell you.

Appreciate it!

I agree completely. I think 2005/6 was the last great years of cars before they got overly electronified and appliance-like. There arent too many cars I'd want to own past 2006.

I remember when me and my father were shopping for my MINI years ago, and the salesperson asked me if I wanted the turbo MINI. I told her no and she asked why not. I said they're too modern/busy/not as raw/uglier. Something along those lines. I was 20 then and I still stand by that.

Oh man, don't get me started on R53 v. R56!

Can't argue with any of those (although my particular version is a STEP/vert, I definitely agree with your take on manual). All very good reasons for keeping this car. I truly don't see myself replacing this car... meaning if I do get something else, this one is staying. Just like my 1980 TR8 is staying.

Ain't nuthin wrong with autos, I just want the choice! Can't buy a Kia Optima with a manual. Not that buying a Kia Optima is something I'm running to do, but it'd be nice to have the choice.

This is exactly why my newest addition is 36 years older than my ZHP

What is it?

johnnyrad
03-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Perfect post. My father has an E90 sedan along with an E46 vert and there both great cars but...there is no dipstick on the E90 for the oil. The dipstick is the gateway to the car. It's a symbol more so then a tool. Yea the car tells you when to change the oil and it gives you the oil level. But I want to smell the oil, see it, touch it and get a little on my hands. It means somthing to the enthusiast to do that. Sadly that little change bothers me. Idk, such a small thing but it makes me love my E46 cars so much more.

Hermes
03-22-2012, 02:07 PM
What is it?

'69 2002

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/2002/P1000968.jpg

danewilson77
03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
That think is a beauty!

cakM3
03-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Excellent thread, although I would have to say that I agree with 99% of what you listed here :)

BRGcoopahS
03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Whats terrible with newer "appliance" cars is their lack of manuals like others have said. You want a manual trans in a new ford? Well guess what, it has to be the fiesta or focus. You want it to be the premium model with leather, navi, and everything else? Well too bad because you can only get the absolute base models in stick shift. This applies to all car brands now. Stick shift is only for the worst of the worst now. I also hate how you cant even have "options" any more. It like this: choose model, choose trim, choose from 5 shades of the black and white spectrum or an ugly blue/red, choose your interior color* (oh you cant have ugly blue on red leather, silly) then choose packages and your done. There are no options anymore and customizations for most car brands.

ATLEAST with BMW, you can get a manual trans in quite a few of their models, and it doesnt matter if its the base trim or top of the line trim. I mean you can still get a 6 speed in the new 5 series! Mercedes only offer a manual trans in their.... oh wait they dont offer manual transmissions anymore in the US.

az3579
03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Ain't nuthin wrong with autos, I just want the choice! Can't buy a Kia Optima with a manual. Not that buying a Kia Optima is something I'm running to do, but it'd be nice to have the choice.

Actually, you CAN get an Optima with a 6-speed manual. I know this because I was looking up whether the Optima would make a good daily driver after I experienced how far Kia has come over the years.

Reading the OP made me feel like we got a Roundel article just for us. And... I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

zhpnsnv
03-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks! How come I can't build a 6 spd optima here: http://www.kia.com/#/optima/build/?page=step1 ????????

kayger12
03-22-2012, 05:17 PM
100% agreed, MB. I have no interest in looking. My intention is to keep the ZHP on the road indefinitely. It will be like the KC-135 of passenger vehicles for me.

.................to save you from Googling:

Serving with the United States Air Force (USAF) since 1957, it is one of just six military fixed-wing aircraft with over 50 years of continuous service with its original operator. Despite increased maintenance costs, studies conclude many of the aircraft could be flown until 2040.

zhpnsnv
03-22-2012, 05:20 PM
I was gonna say it'd be good until at least 2050, but the military and I will have to agree to disagree on that one.

:shift

BRGcoopahS
03-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Actually, you CAN get an Optima with a 6-speed manual. I know this because I was looking up whether the Optima would make a good daily driver after I experienced how far Kia has come over the years.

Reading the OP made me feel like we got a Roundel article just for us. And... I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

nope, as of now no optima in a 6 spd. My father was considering one as his next car but he couldnt justify paying over 30k on a freakin KIA. (so glad he bought the ZHP) I then did some research and found out the 2012 models do not come in stick shift, which was another reason for him not to buy one.

SoarinZHP
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
:waldo

llll1l1ll
03-23-2012, 04:04 AM
OP's post is spot on. That's why I love my ZHP: it's the last of a dying breed. It's simple, functional, sporty and doesn't have any annoying techno gizmos getting in the way of my fun! It reminds me a lot of my E30.

(BMW)
03-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Would an e60 550i 6mt still fit in the dying breed catergory, or is it to techno-gadget filled already? Just wondering cuz Ive been eyeing them up recently. Not to say that I dont looooove my ZHP but just looking to go up to a 5er.

SureShot434
03-23-2012, 07:06 AM
100% agreed, MB. I have no interest in looking. My intention is to keep the ZHP on the road indefinitely. It will be like the KC-135 of passenger vehicles for me.

.................to save you from Googling:

Serving with the United States Air Force (USAF) since 1957, it is one of just six military fixed-wing aircraft with over 50 years of continuous service with its original operator. Despite increased maintenance costs, studies conclude many of the aircraft could be flown until 2040.

hehe these are one hell of an air frame :) i love these aircraft and I love working with them everyday!!!! Maybe one day I will fly them :)

static667
03-24-2012, 07:08 AM
The E36 and E46 are truely drivers cars. They are tailored to the driver without too many bells and whistles to interrupt the harmony of your oneness with the car.

bimmeryota
03-24-2012, 07:32 AM
The E36 and E46 are truely drivers cars. They are tailored to the driver without too many bells and whistles to interrupt the harmony of your oneness with the car.

Thats why we have one of each! With one being a sedan and the other a coupe, it's the ultimate practical pair!

WOLFN8TR
03-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Why I might never buy another car...

I totally agree. Everyday I drive my car it puts a smile on my face. There isn't anything I don't like about the car, even the steptronic transmission. I intend on keeping it as long as I can. Well that is unless someone offered me a NSX for my ZHP!

NEW NSX! (http://www.acura.com/future/NSX#1)

zhpnsnv
03-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Why I might never buy another car...

I totally agree. Everyday I drive my car it puts a smile on my face. There isn't anything I don't like about the car, even the steptronic transmission. I intend on keeping it as long as I can. Well that is unless someone offered me a NSX for my ZHP!

NEW NSX! (http://www.acura.com/future/NSX#1)

That wouldn't technically constitute "buying" another car, so you're okay.

WOLFN8TR
03-24-2012, 10:58 AM
True...

brettbimmer
03-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Excellent write-up MB! You have summed up why I (and sounds like many others) have not been lusting after any younger BMW ladies lately. Adding to the note that it actually has a spare, it also has regular tires, not the tractor tire feel of run-flats that take away some of the communication between the driver and the road. Maybe we need to collectively start warehousing the good ZHPs so that we all have something to drive in 2050?

zhpnsnv
03-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Good idea. We can build some underground vault or some desert lair ( like in airwolf) to be ZHP headquarters.

I could live on ZHP and airwolf and be totally happy. Anyone else a stringfellow hawk fan?

nk_zhp
03-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Went to check out the F30 last night, came home and ordered more replacement/maintenance parts of the ZHP.

kayger12
03-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Anyone else a stringfellow hawk fan?

Good Gawd, yes! Loved that show.

zhpnsnv
03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Went to check out the F30 last night, came home and ordered more replacement/maintenance parts of the ZHP.

That about sums it up.

zhpnsnv
03-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Good Gawd, yes! Loved that show.

Peak of Ernest Borgnine's career.

kayger12
03-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Peak of Ernest Borgnine's career.

That was my first thought when I read your post- any show that succeeds in making Borgnine cool is an automatic classic.

Sent from my outdated Droid X

RITmusic2k
03-26-2012, 09:16 AM
I loved reading this post. Bravo for articulating the enthusiast ethos so well.

johnrando
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Good idea. We can build some underground vault or some desert lair ( like in airwolf) to be ZHP headquarters.

I could live on ZHP and airwolf and be totally happy. Anyone else a stringfellow hawk fan?

Also reminds me of 'Red Barchetta' by Rush. For those who don't know the song: in the future, when motor cars aren't allowed, a nephew finds a mint condition Red Barchetta that his uncle preserved for him in his farm, and take it for a spin, eluding the authority "Eyes".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm,
Before the Motor Law.
And on Sundays I elude the Eyes,
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire,
Where my white-haired uncle waits.

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the Borderline.
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine.
Down in his barn,
My uncle preserved for me an old machine,
For fifty-odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car.
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better, vanished time.
I fire up the willing engine,
Responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel,
I commit my weekly crime...

Wind-
In my hair-
Shifting and drifting-
Mechanical music-
Adrenalin surge...

Well-weathered leather,
Hot metal and oil,
The scented country air.
Sunlight on chrome,
The blur of the landscape,
Every nerve aware.

Suddenly ahead of me,
Across the mountainside,
A gleaming alloy air-car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide.
I spin around with shrieking tires,
To run the deadly race,
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase.

Drive like the wind,
Straining the limits of machine and man.
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I've got a desperate plan.
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside.
Race back to the farm, to dream with my uncle at the fireside