PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on trading in?

HokieZHP
03-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Hey everyone, so I've been tossing around the idea of selling my zhp for a lower mileage one and wanted to get your thoughts. Would it be worth selling my zhp at 132k and trying to find one with ~60-70k?

danewilson77
03-17-2012, 10:42 AM
My initial thought...is.....right now you know what you got.

Newjack
03-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Also, why? If I ever decided to sell my car I would get something different.

derbo
03-17-2012, 10:57 AM

+1

HokieZHP
03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Well that's the other option. I'll be selling my ZHP within the year and am wondering whether to get something different or get another ZHP since I do love the car. If I got something different it would be an Audi or a Tahoe or something. Not quite sure yet

SoarinZHP
03-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Eh... I wouldn't bother getting another ZHP - they aren't special...

az3579
03-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Hey everyone, so I've been tossing around the idea of selling my zhp for a lower mileage one and wanted to get your thoughts. Would it be worth selling my zhp at 132k and trying to find one with ~60-70k?

Not worth it. It wouldn't be much different, if at all, from what you have now.

This, though a Tahoe wouldn't be my choice.

webster
03-17-2012, 12:09 PM
i could see it, if you were altering the options sheet enough to warrant the change. ie, auto sedan v. manual coupe, leather seats v. alcantara, etc.

but if you're just trying to lower mileage, i gotta agree with others and say meh. 132k isnt that high. the e46 is easy enough to work on, hell i came into this car with no experience and have been able to diy almost everything...

HokieZHP
03-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Im realizing it isn't worth it haha. My ZHP now is my ideal car, black on tan leather 6mt sedan so the replacement would most likely not be as nice in my mind.

I said Tahoe because 4wd would be nice to have at school and my commute is short enough and slow enough that the gas wouldn't be much different than it is now with the ZHP. and I've always liked the tahoe's. I would most likely get another German sedan though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newjack
03-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Im realizing it isn't worth it haha. My ZHP now is my ideal car, black on tan leather 6mt sedan so the replacement would most likely not be as nice in my mind.

I said Tahoe because 4wd would be nice to have at school and my commute is short enough and slow enough that the gas wouldn't be much different than it is now with the ZHP. and I've always liked the tahoe's. I would most likely get another German sedan though

You would definitely notice a difference in gas mileage. A Tahoe weighs a shitton and has a bigger motor.

4 wheel drive IS awesome. I had it in my 01 Ford Escape. But the reality was, I got to use it, once, maybe twice a year. The wear and tear and extra weight of the differential was not worth it IMO.

But having 4x4 when it did snow was like fucking christmas to me.

az3579
03-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Do you have any unusual routes, like up mountains or anything like that? If not, 4WD probably won't really do you any good either. A set of good tires, preferably snows, will get you through that nasty stuff just fine. :)

I always thought about what I would get if I sold my ZHP. Probably an M3... :biggrin

HokieZHP
03-17-2012, 04:47 PM
My drive to school involves a steep hill or two. Awd would be suitable which is why I'm considering Audi. I want an m3 but insurance for a young driver is killer on those

Johnmadd
03-17-2012, 06:32 PM

This +100, that's why I keep my e30 even though its not a "looker".

WOLFN8TR
03-17-2012, 07:54 PM
I would keep it. You would miss her after you sold it. I love driving my ZHP, it's the ultimate driving machine!

onepercent
03-18-2012, 05:59 AM
My wife drives an Audi, it's a fine car and really good on gas (2.0T, 6MT) but it's not the Ultimate Driving Machine. There is a reason BMW earned that name.

If I were you, I'd just pick up a set of snow tires mounted on some new wheels. That should satisfy your "new" craving at least for a while, and take care of the AWD issue.

cakM3
03-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Hokie,

Like others have said, I wouldn't get another ZHP unless you wanted to get a coupe. I'd get something different... perhaps get an ///M? In my case, I already had my ///M and got the ZHP afterwards....sort of backwards. I drive my ZHP pretty much 90% of the time now and take out my ///M only on nice days or weekends.

Either way, the decision is yours and I wish you all the best in the direction you decide to go :thumbsup

HokieZHP
03-18-2012, 01:55 PM
The only issue is that my car is getting up there mileage wise..even though the car runs perfectly, it's just something that picks at me from the back of my mind from time to time.

I wish i could get an ///M, dad isn't a fan though. He's an Audi/MB guy so me getting a BMW was surprising, plus he wouldn't like it if my car was faster than his haha

I think I've dropped the idea of trading in for a lower mileage one, maybe I'll end up driving this one for a bit longer until something else catches my eye.

johnrando
03-18-2012, 03:41 PM
GL with your decision. Of course do what you want, but I would say if you were going to trade in for the same car with lower miles, try to fine something REALLY low, like less than 40K. One guy on E46f.c just picked one up with 18K, and as we know, there was one on our site picked up with under 4K I believe.

az3579
03-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Chris,
There really is nothing to be concerned about. Your mileage is not high at all. Perhaps when you reach the 340k miles my old E30 had before its perfectly healthy engine was swapped for an S50, then you can call it high mileage. But, until it is over 200k, you can't be a member of that club. :)

You yourself said there's nothing wrong with it, so no more worrying and keep driving!

llll1l1ll
03-19-2012, 03:41 AM
Indeed. My E30 had an unknown number of miles on it, but the odometer stopped at 235,657. It probably had close to 300 when I got rid of it. It let me down once. Only once. The fuel pump broke. At 120K miles (or however many you have), you are going to be just fine.

Also, I second everyone else in 4WD/AWD isn't going to do much but decrease your gas mileage and increase your maintenance - especially in a Tahoe. A good set of snow tires and a patient determination to make it through the snow without flooring it/going crazy will do you fine.

Plus you stand out driving a ZHP which is good for picking up wimminz. If you drive a Tahoe they won't notice you. haha

cakM3
03-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Hokie,

Another thing to add to BP's post. I agree with BP that you have plenty of mileage to go with your ZHP.

Big thing is keeping these 'not so special' cars well-maintained. That's the key. If you have a car that is well-maintained then mileage is just a number. Well, that's what all the service people, including the mechanics, at my local BMW dealership tell me about both my cars. That mileage is just a number with them. I keep both my cars well-maintained. You can ask BP about the condition of my cars...he has seen both of my cars personally. BP, did I let you drive my ///M? Can't remember...:biggrin I know you have driven my ZHP :)

All I can say is that I'm not planning to sell either of my cars for a very very very long time, if ever. With that said, I plan to put in as much as I can to keep both of them in tip top shape. One project at a time...and enjoying both of them for what they are "Motorsports" cars...:)

shendrick
03-20-2012, 04:24 PM
If you can get a low mileage one from someone who knew what they had and already dealt with the classic issues (entire cooling system, off-cycle maintenance, VCG, belts and tensioner, battery), then not a bad idea. But someone who knows what they have might also have worked the car pretty hard. I would do a compression test and subframe check as well - and by someone like Turner MS who really knows what to look for - not just some indie hack.

328ioc
03-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Hokie,

Not sure if this helps but my plan of attack after I graduate next spring is to keep the ZHP but drive it less and get something like an old jeep or f150 for hurricanes and other crappy weather days. Just for the sole purpose of keeping the ZHP clean and hopefully keep the mileage down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Go Horns!
03-22-2012, 10:41 AM
My Tahoe averages 10 mpg in the city. Driving the ZHP over the Tahoe this year has saved me about 500 gallons of fuel. So about a savings of $1,500 this year after factoring difference between premium and cheap stuff.