PDA

View Full Version : Issues programming new key

328ioc
03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Hello all,

Well after my key got stolen I was able to order an new key and just received it.

I just tried programming it per a few DIY's I have found but nothing seems to work.

The DIY's I have found go like this:

1. Sit in the car with all the doors shut and windows up with your key fobs (all your fobs need to be done at the same time)

2. With one of your keys turn the ignition on then off and remove the key

3. Press and hold the unlock botton and then press the lock button 3 times.

4. Release all buttons and the locks will bounce up and down.

5. Repeat this with the other key/keys (press and hold unlock and press lock 3 times, locks will bounce)

I have seen other DIY's where in step 3 the held and pressed button have been reversed but neither way has worked yet for me.

Does any one have any experience programming a key and could you possibly shed some light on this?

Thanks,

-Devlin

danewilson77
03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
I thought it had to be programmed at BMW? Dunno :dunno

ryankokesh
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
You should be able to program it to unlock the car remotely, but the dealer will have to do the starting the car part. I've heard, but haven't confirmed, that the dealer can't even do that part. Rather they order it pre-programmed for your specific car. :dunno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

328ioc
03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
You should be able to program it to unlock the car remotely, but the dealer will have to do the starting the car part. I've heard, but haven't confirmed, that the dealer can't even do that part. Rather they order it pre-programmed for your specific car. :dunno

Well here is the issue. The new key starts the car fine but it will not lock/unlock the car.

Dane, I thought that too but apparently that is for the seat memory and crap like that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
03-08-2012, 06:26 PM
How'd you get a key like that....? (if you don't mind me asking)

328ioc
03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
How'd you get a key like that....? (if you don't mind me asking)

After my key was stolen my dad went to the local dealer and ordered a new key. It took I think a day or two for him to get it then he over nighted it to me. Once I got it I tried to program it and after it didn't work I tried starting it just for kicks and it started but won't lock or unlock. Hence why I am like wtf? Lol

ryankokesh
03-08-2012, 08:38 PM
That's weird... I feel like the dealer should probably program it for you when you buy a key?

Meric
03-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Maybe there is no battery inside the key? Just saying. :dunno

derbo
03-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Here is the steps I take to reprogram a key for a customer.

1. Sit down in the driver seat and make sure windows and doors are all closed.
2. Cycle the lock and unlock from the center console button till it is unlocked fully.
3. Put in any of the keys into the ignition and set it to ignition II (right before you crank the starter position)
4. Remove the key from the ignition
5. Hold the unlock button, while pressing the lock button 3 times relatively slowly (like 1/2 second between presses)
6. Release the lock button first, then release the unlock button.
7. The locks should cycle.
8. Repeat 5-7 for every new key.

Hope this works for you! Works for me 100% of the time if the central locking works.

ryankokesh
03-08-2012, 10:44 PM
:like

derbo
03-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Just to add. The keys are made in BMW NA HQ. They require licesnse and registration to laser cut the keys for all E36 and on. It is usually a 2 Business Day turn around for the keys. They all come ready to start the car/ignition but not programmed for the keylocks.

danewilson77
03-09-2012, 05:55 AM

2. Cycle the lock and unlock from the center console button till it is unlocked fully.
3. Put in any of the keys into the ignition and set it to ignition II (right before you crank the starter position)
5. Hold the unlock button, while pressing the lock button 3 times relatively slowly (like 1/2 second between presses)

Hope this works for you! Works for me 100% of the time if the central locking works.

If this doesn't work......

Take.it.to.dealer.

328ioc
03-09-2012, 07:17 AM

Thanks Derbo I will try that way today and report back.

johnrando
03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Great info Derbo, thanks. Looking forward to hearing the results.

derbo
03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
If this doesn't work......

Take.it.to.dealer.

Pretty much. The steps I wrote out is what I do at work (which happens to be a dealer). If that doesn't work, the next step is plugging it in to see if the central locking system is working correctly.

danewilson77
03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Pretty much. The steps I wrote out is what I do at work (which happens to be a dealer). If that doesn't work, the next step is plugging it in to see if the central locking system is working correctly.

When BMW sends a key to a guy.....do they think...maybe including the instructions, of how to program, might be helpful? Or are they trying to force your hand.....by making you have to come into dealer?

derbo
03-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Keys are normally picked up and signed off by the guy who owns the vehicle. They are offered to free programming while they are there with the car. If not our dealership invites you to come in and the keys programmed to the keyless entry. This is usually just done by a parts guy or a valet in the parking lot.

E90 (not comfort access) just needs to be started with the new key for the keyless entry to work. Comfort access requires real programming to delete the old lost key.

328ioc
03-09-2012, 08:40 AM
When BMW sends a key to a guy.....do they think...maybe including the instructions, of how to program, might be helpful? Or are they trying to force your hand.....by making you have to come into dealer?

Yeah I agree. The guy at the dealer told my dad the instructions are in the owners manual but I had no luck what so ever finding them.

derbo
03-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah I agree. The guy at the dealer told my dad the instructions are in the owners manual but I had no luck what so ever finding them.

That employee sounds like a lazy tard. I would never tell a customer that its in the owners manual cause it's not.

jayjay_dee
03-09-2012, 01:04 PM
That employee sounds like a lazy tard. I would never tell a customer that its in the owners manual cause it's not.

+ 1

328ioc
03-09-2012, 02:36 PM

Yeah I can't stand the people at the dealer I feel like they have no idea about anything they are selling.

Also. Tried programing again but it did not work. I only tried it once and real fast so I will try it again tomorrow when I have more time then take it to the dealer.

derbo
03-09-2012, 08:24 PM
damn! Hopefully it isn't too bad. Sometimes cars get a little fussy and doesn't want to program. The programming shouldn't cost you anything from the dealer you purchased the key from.

328ioc
03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I have been meaning to go to the dealer any way to pick up an oil filter for the E36 and to drop off my resume for a summer job so now I might as well just go and kill all 3 birds with one stone.

johnrando
03-10-2012, 06:50 AM
http://youtu.be/ihL2_v1ALyQ

Family Guy - kill two birds with one stone.

328ioc
03-10-2012, 07:00 AM
http://youtu.be/ihL2_v1ALyQ

Family Guy - kill two birds with one stone.

HAHHAA thats great.