PDA

View Full Version : Road trip

prowlerflyer
03-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Will be road tripping in a couple of weeks from Newport to Tampa. I'll probably spend my first night in DC, but after that, no plans. Looking for ideas for things to see on the way down or recommended routing. I don't really know the east coast.

Some things I have thought of as possible:
- Tail of the Dragon
- BMW Spartenberg, not sure what I would do there though

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Busch Gardens, Virginia Space Museum, Jamestown Settlement, Colonial Williamsburg, Visit DW77.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

prowlerflyer
03-02-2012, 07:41 PM
DW77??

danewilson77
03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Hehe.... I'll buy ya a beer.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnmadd
03-02-2012, 07:45 PM
^yup, the burg has cool peeps (Danewilson 77/ Johnmadd) Hehe, seriously though, Busch Gardens has some nice coasters.

kayger12
03-03-2012, 04:56 AM
Highly recommend the Dragon. Been there a ton of times on two wheels, but never in the ZHP.

zj96sc
03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
I've avoided tail of the dragon as I've heard firsthand accounts and read it is packed these days with lane crossing bikes and cops. Im starting to consider putting a trip together from Atlanta, but Im going to do it early and on a weekday. jam packed/dangerous would defeat the purpose imo.

On my zhp purchase trip from ct to ga i did the blue ridge parkway instead, at about 7am on a Saturday. It was a ghost town and gorgeous. not as much of a "driver's" road though, just beautiful scenery.

In general, my advice would be to spend as much time off the superslab as you schedule allows. There are other world class roads in Nc/ga/tn and the shenandoah valley is breathtaking. get creative!

Hermes
03-03-2012, 12:15 PM
I've avoided tail of the dragon as I've heard firsthand accounts and read it is packed these days with lane crossing bikes and cops.

Probably just get there real early to solve that issue. I drove Palomar Mountain last weekend (similar road w/lots of bikes and cops) but I was there around 6:30, road was deserted. The only traffic I started to see was on the way down the mountain around 7:45

kayger12
03-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Dragon was starting to get busy the last few times I was there-- and that was about 8 years ago.

Cherohala Skyway was one of the best roads I stumbled on down there for great views, nice sweepers, and no traffic/cops.
http://www.cherohala.com/

zj96sc
03-03-2012, 03:07 PM
The TiAg on the BRP:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/paulkeith/cars/TIAG_ZHP/DSC_0424Large.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/paulkeith/cars/TIAG_ZHP/DSC_0429Large.jpg

....tear

Meric
03-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Beautiful...

Pip
03-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Awesome fog shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llll1l1ll
03-05-2012, 05:21 AM
I'd try to avoid 495 at all costs. If you're an aviation buff, check out the Hazy Air and Space Museum at Dulles and stop by Gravely Point in D.C. at the end of Runway 1 at Reagan National.

Newjack
03-05-2012, 07:33 AM
I'd try to avoid 495 at all costs. If you're an aviation buff, check out the Hazy Air and Space Museum at Dulles and stop by Gravely Point in D.C. at the end of Runway 1 at Reagan National.

+1

Driving on the beltway anytime before 11am and after 2:30pm feels like you are trying to birth a grown man.

I went to the air and space museum yesterday, it's still so much fun.

V6 Revolution + TT

llll1l1ll
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
My friend's Dad is actually a docent at the Hazy museum.

cakM3
03-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Steve,

Definately check out the Air and Space museum while you are in the DC area. :thumbsup

prowlerflyer
03-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately I'll only have time in DC to visit a friend. Any stops I make along the way will have to be relatively short, to keep making progress.

I did think of the Blueridge Parkway, just need to map it out.

What is there to do at the BMW Spartenburg plant? Is it worth the stop (as silly as that question seems)?

zj96sc
03-06-2012, 09:45 AM
There is a quick museum to walk through, worth stopping by if you're passing through.

If you're coming 95 south it will be way out of your way and not worth it IMO. If you come into charlotte on 77 headed for 26->95, you can pick it up but it would add about 50 or 60 miles....approaching worth it, if you're a real BMW fan. I did stop, but I was on 85 anyway, headed to Atlanta.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/paulkeith/cars/TIAG_ZHP/DSC_0446Large.jpg

I did the first 60 miles of the BRP...MM0 in Waynesboro to MM60, then hopped back on 81. Would've kept going but you don't make "good time"....if that's what you're after.

brettbimmer
03-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I have driven this trip ALOT since 2000, from MD to Tampa/St. Pete, FLA. Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway can be fun esp. if the timing is right for the proper spring foliage, but don't plan on being in a big hurry on it as the speed limit is usually pretty slow (35 MPH or so). Good news is that you can jump over to the highway if you need to pick up the pace a bit. A few shots on the BRP few days before the First Annual Mafia Meet last year:

Depends on your timing, interests, and company in terms of places to stop and see on the way south. Charleston, SC is a beautiful historic city, Savannah, GA a bit more on your way if cruising down I-95. In terms of roads traveled to get there, I usually end up going down I-95 into north Florida, and picking up Exit 373 a few miles over the boarder which puts you on Rt. 1A/200, running for a few miles down to the northern section of Rt. 301 which bypasses the I-295 beltway around Jacksonville (which is usually slowed up with city traffic) & a short stint on I-10. (Note that 301 above I-10 is only a two lane road, but it is pretty rural and you can usually roll along at 60+). Thereafter it is Rt. 301 south to Waldo (yes, seriously a town called Waldo), where I usually pick up Rt. 24 and run over to Gainesville to pick up I-75 South for the rest of the trip down to Tampa/St. Pete. I-75 is a road that everyone is cruising very fast on most of the time, so be prepared for that. I have driven this trip probably close to 30 times between going to school there & also selling a line of boats that are built in Clearwater (so I was often towing home), and I have found that this is the easiest way to get through Florida in a timely & efficient manner. I would not recommend I-4 unless you REALLY want to see Disney, etc. as this road is frequently jammed with traffic. If you have time in Florida, you might enjoy a trek out to the Gulf Coast Beaches either in Clearwater, St. Petersburg, or elsewhere. Also, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge across the southern end of Tampa Bay is a great photo op with your car, and should look something like this:

If I can give you any more help on route guidance, feel free to PM/post the BrettBrett Navigation program. :biggrin

cakM3
03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
If everything works out Steve will be driving down in a very well detailed ZHP :)

prowlerflyer
03-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Well things have worked out to dictate my trip. BMW called and my standby slot for the "Experience" got accepted! So I am leaving Sunday and need to get a full day of miles under my belt to be close to Charlotte (mostly I85). That will then give my a short drive to the factory Monday (mid day start), then afterwards spend the night in Greenville. Tuesday I'll buster down to Tampa to check in to work Wednesday.
I gave the ZHP a full service this past weekend. I ever so lucky that I met Charlie on base in Newport, and he has made sure my car looks better than new for the trip. Going so far as to come out to my place right before I go just to do some more buffing. You can't have a better car compadre`. Thanks for everything Charlie!

cakM3
03-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Well things have worked out to dictate my trip. BMW called and my standby slot for the "Experience" got accepted! So I am leaving Sunday and need to get a full day of miles under my belt to be close to Charlotte (mostly I85). That will then give my a short drive to the factory Monday (mid day start), then afterwards spend the night in Greenville. Tuesday I'll buster down to Tampa to check in to work Wednesday.
I gave the ZHP a full service this past weekend. I ever so lucky that I met Charlie on base in Newport, and he has made sure my car looks better than new for the trip. Going so far as to come out to my place right before I go just to do some more buffing. You can't have a better car compadre`. Thanks for everything Charlie!

It was a pleasure helping a fellow enthusiast, thanks for everything! Have a safe and fun trip Steve :thumbsup Don't forget to take pics :)

prowlerflyer
03-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Sitting in Greenville, SC waiting to head over to the Zentrum. Got to run out and find somewhere I can hose the ZHP off. Light rain most of the drive down, so I want to get the grime off. Have to look good at the Zentrum!

RI to SC in about 14 hrs. I averaged about 28mpg @ 70-75mph. Not to bad with the TS2.

cakM3
03-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Sitting in Greenville, SC waiting to head over to the Zentrum. Got to run out and find somewhere I can hose the ZHP off. Light rain most of the drive down, so I want to get the grime off. Have to look good at the Zentrum!

RI to SC in about 14 hrs. I averaged about 28mpg @ 70-75mph. Not to bad with the TS2.

Steve,

If you can get a pic of your ZHP there :thumbsup

prowlerflyer
03-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Woohoo!

prowlerflyer
03-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Can't believe the factory nav doesn't know how to get here...

Actually, my phone's nav got confused too.

johnrando
03-26-2012, 09:04 AM
LOL. Enjoy.

cakM3
03-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Nice!!!
:like

Great pic Steve :thumbsup

prowlerflyer
03-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Just finished the factory tour, waiting for the driving part at the Performance Center.

Boy, not much variety in colors in X5/X6 production. They mentioned something like 88% is black, white, and grey. Saw 3 different diesel models, 30d, 35d, & 40d.

prowlerflyer
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Performance Center.

prowlerflyer
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM

prowlerflyer
03-26-2012, 02:27 PM
The cars we hot lapped.

prowlerflyer
03-26-2012, 03:07 PM
The X6M was a beast, with surprisingly great brakes! Disappointed with the turbo lag and electronic nannies, so-so gearbox.

The Z4 3.5is was the best and sounded awesome popping off gear changes at full chat.

All cars were autos and TC was required to be left on. All the cars were plagued with understeer and stunted acceleration due to the TC on.

Ridiculous hammering a 750il around the course though.

prowlerflyer
03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Passing Parris Island for all you Marine Corps types.

cakM3
03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Glad to see that you had a great time Steve! I just got in to Laurel, MD tonight. Had a nice trip and was passed by two NJ State Troopers (separate cars) while doing 80mph on the turnpike. I saw them coming at me in a bad way so I moved over to the middle lane and they blew by me without even looking at me :) I chilled for a bit at 70 afterwards. Was a nice day for a drive :thumbsup

prowlerflyer
03-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Arrived in Tampa. Sort of anti-climatic. It appears with the amount of luggage weight and potholes, both of my rears ended up rubbing a bit (VMR 710 19" w/10mm spacer) on the inside. I also picked up a vibration in the rear, which I am assuming is tied to the above. Other than that the car was a champ.

static667
03-27-2012, 04:32 PM
If you have a chance on the return trip, you can go for a lay-over at my place.

prowlerflyer
03-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately no return trip. I am moving to Tampa. We'll see if this is good or not... Thank you very much for the offer!