PDA

View Full Version : Can I "unsmooth" my ZHP drive train ?

Deschodt
02-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Ok, this is gonna sound crazy, but I always found the BMW inline 6s in general to be great engines but a tad too smooth. It's like cream dipped in caramel suspended by a rubber band... In the case of the ZHP , this frustrates me a little more than usual because the rest of the car is begging for a flogging... No question there is power and torque in there, but the delivery is so smooth and so linear as to be too much of a non-event. Not sure how much of that feel I'm missing is attributable to the engine vs. the long clutch pedal (possibly CDV) and the long throws of the shifter. I know those are 2 different things, but I'm looking for possibly a less dampened shifting experience and more of a feel that the engine is coming on cam... or something...

In all seriousness, for the few crazies who felt like me, what were the best mods to "rough up" the car a little and get some more mechanical connection feel, and in what order ?
Maybe my 73 2002 is playing with my head. Be kind...

johnrando
02-29-2012, 07:29 AM
I would think a s/w tune for better throttle response, headers, and an exhaust would give you some oomph and some sound that would move in that direction. Personally I really like the UUC TSE3 exhaust. I have no idea about cams in zhps but I certainly put cams in other cars that gave the engine a nice rough up/loap. Not a very specific answer, but GL with what you're looking for.

Taliben
02-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Cams=$$$$$

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

webster
02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
if you want to "feel" the drivetrain more, you could consider some stiffer, more aggressive tranny/motor mounts and CABs. those are signif. cheaper than cams, exhaust, headers etc

RITmusic2k
02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Lightweight flywheel and grabbier clutch. That'll give you all the things you're looking for :)

And actually, if you go this route and find some good products, post 'em up here - I'll be in the market to do this soon myself (I'm speaking from experience on previous cars, not the ZHP, but the effect should be the same).

Deschodt
02-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Lightweight flywheel and grabbier clutch. That'll give you all the things you're looking for :)

Great idea, I had not thought of that... A heavy flywheel could be a big big part of that feel I was failing to explain properly... a Certain inertia/too much smoothness between engine/tranny... Good one, thank you ! I'll research that...

gr330zhp
02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
:scratchinghead Uhhhhhhh

zj96sc
02-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Poly motor and tranny mounts, poly suspension bushings, ltw flywheel, short shifter, cdv delete, clutch stop, maybe some adjustable shocks.

Hermes
02-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Poly motor and tranny mounts, poly suspension bushings, ltw flywheel, short shifter, cdv delete, clutch stop, maybe some adjustable shocks.

^ This exactly. Greg, I know exactly what you mean with regards to feel of the 2002 vs E46, flywheel and mounts will be the best mod in order to "feel" the engine like with the older cars

BTW, I found out that the motor, clutch, and gearbox on mine are swapped from a 3/74 2002 USA version

static667
02-29-2012, 01:53 PM

+2

Brought to you by sci-fi level technology and Tapatalk.

LivesNearCostco
02-29-2012, 01:57 PM
I haven't tried a short shifter or lightweight flywheel, but I can say that solid rubber motor mounts and stiffer transmission mounts (neither ones are bolt-through) help you feel "in touch" with your inner crankshaft, especially below 800 RPM. Vibrations from 800-2000 RPM are barely enhanced, usually not noticeable. But I notice fer shure at stoplights (600-800 RPM).

Stiffer springs make it feel less smooth on rough pavement or over speed bumps and bridge expansion joints or road construction plates. But on smooth pavement when taking sweepers, onramps, or AutoX slaloms, the stiffer springs make things feel smoother to me by reducing body roll.

meeceboy78
03-04-2012, 04:09 PM
solid motor mounts :eyetwitch

LivesNearCostco
03-04-2012, 04:25 PM
I am not man enough for solid motor mounts! Well mine are "solid" rubber as opposed to oil-filled rubber, but I cannot fathom using solid delrin or aluminum motor mounts. Maybe if I had a race car it would have bolt-through urethane motor mounts from Vorshlag, but not truly solid ones.

meeceboy78
03-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I was just kidding anyway... I couldnt do that either

zhp43867
03-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Run a quart or two down on oil during a HPDE. Your drivetrain will never be smooth again. :chainsaw

llll1l1ll
03-12-2012, 03:30 AM
You can unsmooth your drivetrain by removing bolts at random on the various engine and transmission components.

Mike V
03-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Not sure about making it 'unsmooth' but a good sounding air filter system is effective for taking a little boredom out of the quiet engine.