PDA

View Full Version : M Performance Vehicles In Addition to M Vehicles?

Gordo_GT
02-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I did a quick search and I did not find any results about this topic.

The article is dated Jan 12: http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-readying-line-of-m-performance-vehicles-to-slot-between-normal-and-m-cars/

The summary is that BMW will make the regular vehicles (1, 3, 5 series, etc), M Performance vehicles, and the current M vehicles. The M Performance vehicles will be more tuned than a regular series (even more than the si versions) but not as much as an M. The tuning will range in aesthetics and performance.

Seems to be like a ZHP but instead of a vehicle option, it might be an entire vehicle model (probably similar to Audi's S line). The details are said to be unveiled real soon in March.

Here is a teaser video for now: http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-teases-high-powered-x6-m-diesel/

Hermes
02-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Gordo, we did have a topic on this somewhere. I wouldn't mind a ///M550d Touring.

http://velocityresource.com/images/F11M550d3-crop.jpg

zj96sc
02-27-2012, 07:28 AM
I've always thought that BMW should identify them separately. The braping I took from my insurer for the first ZHP could've been totally eliminated if the ZHP were its own model. When you're talking an option package reaching 10% of the value of the car as a whole......it would have been warranted.

Meric
02-27-2012, 07:48 AM
So now BMW adds M badge on their M package cars? I don't see nothing wrong with adding M badge on ours then?

midlandtech
02-27-2012, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't mind a ///M550d Touring.

http://velocityresource.com/images/F11M550d3-crop.jpg

I concur

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nk_zhp
02-27-2012, 08:02 AM
With the recent shift towards turbo charged cars by BMW, your best bet is to abandon ///M cars altogether and pick up a base non M car of your choice and invest about 4-5K into it and turn it into a beast with your choice of performance upgrades.

M anything has become nothing but a marketing tool. The only way M could mean what it meant back in 80s is if motorsports re-introduces homologation requirements and forces BMW to build a road going race-car.

johnrando
02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
I concur

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not concur, but that's just me.

Meric
02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
M anything has become nothing but a marketing tool.

Can't say more...

midlandtech
02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Do not concur, but that's just me.

what can I say, I love me some wagons

zj96sc
02-27-2012, 01:00 PM
I would sell kidneys for a e46 M touring, or at least a zhp touring.

johnrando
02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
what can I say, I love me some wagons

Sorry, I didn't mean that... I misquoted. No issues with wagons. I was referring to the fact that I don't like M badges on the outside of non-M cars.

danewilson77
02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
How about those Steelers?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

az3579
02-27-2012, 05:50 PM
With the recent shift towards turbo charged cars by BMW, your best bet is to abandon ///M cars altogether and pick up a base non M car of your choice and invest about 4-5K into it and turn it into a beast with your choice of performance upgrades.

M anything has become nothing but a marketing tool. The only way M could mean what it meant back in 80s is if motorsports re-introduces homologation requirements and forces BMW to build a road going race-car.

IMO, anyone who says something like that hasn't driven an M. And if that person has, and still thinks this, then I will not comment any further on that.
What I can say is that an M is an M, and not only for Marketing. An M is nothing short of spectacular right out of the box.
(This only applies to actual M cars, such as the M3, M5, M6, 1M, not cars with just an M badge next to their series designation. The 1M is an exception because they can't call it an M1 for obvious reasons)

nk_zhp
02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
I've owned, arguably, the best M car of all time for the last 7 years. I don't know if that matter to you or not.

IMO, anyone who says something like that hasn't driven an M. And if that person has, and still thinks this, then I will not comment any further on that.
What I can say is that an M is an M, and not only for Marketing. An M is nothing short of spectacular right out of the box.
(This only applies to actual M cars, such as the M3, M5, M6, 1M, not cars with just an M badge next to their series designation. The 1M is an exception because they can't call it an M1 for obvious reasons)