PDA

View Full Version : How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

Rovert
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
:megaphone In lieu of seeing another post I thought I would share this once again...

Source:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

For the past few years, various carmakers have been offering blind-spot detection systems for their cars’ side mirrors. Often complex, these systems employ cameras or radar to scan the adjoining lanes for vehicles that may have disappeared from view.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published a paper in 1995 suggesting how outside mirrors could be adjusted to eliminate blind spots. The paper advocates adjusting the mirrors so far outward that the viewing angle of the side mirrors just overlaps that of the cabin’s rearview mirror. This can be disorienting for drivers used to seeing the flanks of their own car in the side mirrors. But when correctly positioned, the mirrors negate a car’s blind spots. This obviates the need to glance over your shoulder to safely change lanes as well as the need for an expensive blind-spot warning system.

The only problem is getting used to the SAE-recommended mirror positions. The cabin’s rearview mirror is used to keep an eye on what is coming up from behind, while the outside mirrors reflect the area outside the view of the inside rearview mirror.

Those who have switched to the SAE’s approach swear by it, however, some drivers can’t adjust to not using the outside mirrors to see directly behind the car and miss being able to see their own car in the side mirrors. To them we say, “Have fun filling out those accident reports.”

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/51/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots-graphic-photo-323365-s-original.jpg

I've used this practice since my awesome professional driving instructors and friends have taught me at an early age of driving. Not only have I had less instances of trying to occupy the same space and time as the car next to me, it has helped in making split second decisions on which way to panic swerve to safety. Without that split second saved compared to shoulder checking, that would have made the difference in a lot of damage to the car I was driving and the occupants, or no physical drama at all. Safe driving folks!

Washburn
02-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Interesting, and thanks!
But what I am wondering is, if i can't see a bit of my car's flanks on the left SVM, how can I have a reference point as to how close the other car I see in the mirror? I have to play with these settings and see what it's like.

Rovert
02-23-2012, 02:29 PM
That's what all of the people I teach have asked me. When learning to drive it's OK because you can reference. But I get them to transition slowly. So they don't have to go all the way within 1 day. Just go week by week and push the mirrors out further. Being able to tell if the car is 5 feet from you vs 10 feet will be understood as you get used to the new mirror position. With the mirrors showing the side of your car you are overlapping rearview mirror info that's a waste of time and space. Besides when has the side of your car come out and hit you? You want to see objects in the mirror. You're either going to see background blurring by or a metal object with the right mirror position.

Oli77
02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
I had read about this and it made sense. I have done that ever since.
Thanks for the refresher.

kayger12
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Figured this out on my own early in my driving career after a close call.

It works well, but the euro-mirrors are still a superior option, imo.

danewilson77
02-23-2012, 03:50 PM

I specialize in Superior.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

iZHP
02-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Been using this technique for a while as well. It definitely helps in the Jeep.

kayger12
02-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I specialize in Superior.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Damn right you do!

derbo
02-23-2012, 04:22 PM

I'm ordering my mirrors soon.

danewilson77
02-23-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm ordering my mirrors soon.

Schweet.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Meric
02-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I tried this but nahh. I need to see my car a bit to get a reference point and dont depend on mirrors always shoulder check.

Rovert
02-23-2012, 06:11 PM
You guys need to get used to it. You don't need to see what's beside you 4 feet high. Under normal circumstance there should be nothing like that on the road trailing you unless you're sharing the road with chipmunks who drive mini's. Any small car that's within +/- 90 degrees of dead rear centre will be visible in the mirror and that's what's important. Once the vehicle leaves the mirror, it goes into your peripheral vision so whenever you have to make a split second swerve you will not have to spend 1/2 second checking and taking your eye off ahead of you. Where your focused on is that you hit in a panic situation. If your eyes can remained glued to an exit point, then the rest will solve itself. :) When's the last time you caught yourself staring at the door frame as you walk through it so you don't hit it? Same thing applies to needing to look at the side of your car.

Though I don't expect anyone here to be Schumacher's of the public streets swerving in and out of traffic. LOL. Trust your mirrors, trust your eyes!

CERF04ZHP
02-23-2012, 06:21 PM
This is where it's at. Learn from it.

HTC EVO / Tapatalk

Oli77
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm with you Trevor. My wife, on the other hand, couldn't get used to the "void" and she reverted back to seeing the last eight of her car.

Rovert
02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
My sister went through the same advance driver training for years that I went through and every time I get into my car after she's piloted the car, I always have to bring my mirrors back out. I guess there are somethings you just can't help change in some people...LOL. Hopefully nothing will ever happen where she needs that extra moment to look. She's had good fortune for over a decade of driving so far!

derbo
02-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Downfall is parallel Parkin in the city is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnmadd
02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I will always stick to what I know, I like to see my rear quarter panel and the line of the lane im in with side mirrors, and the stupid looking but very efficient over the shoulder head turn.

SoarinZHP
02-23-2012, 08:11 PM
I discovered this technique on a fluke this week. Someone messed with the mirror and I was driving along and as I passed a car and it exited my peripheral vision, I glanced at the mirror and there it was and then it fell into the rear view. It's taking a bit of getting used to, but it is cool.

GT172I
02-24-2012, 11:28 AM
So those of you with the euro blind spot mirrors, how do you aim them? Still view side of car for reference and use the convex bit for the blind spot?

Ryans323i
02-24-2012, 12:16 PM
So those of you with the euro blind spot mirrors, how do you aim them? Still view side of car for reference and use the convex bit for the blind spot?

I have Euro blind spot mirrors and I aim them so I can see the tip of my rear fender. I can't handle the "void", it's hard for my brain to process.

I will always stick to what I know, I like to see my rear quarter panel and the line of the lane im in with side mirrors, and the stupid looking but very efficient over the shoulder head turn.

This is exactly what I do. And I didn't realize I look stupid doing the head turn. :( Oh well, it's safe.

kayger12
02-24-2012, 12:59 PM
I have Euro blind spot mirrors and I aim them so I can see the tip of my rear fender.

This. And with it set there, I can see the front of the car next to me in my peripheral vision while the car is still visible in the mirror. Literally. Zero. Blind. Spot.

derbo
02-24-2012, 01:56 PM
this. And with it set there, i can see the front of the car next to me in my peripheral vision while the car is still visible in the mirror. Literally. Zero. Blind. Spot.

i like this!

das boots
02-24-2012, 03:08 PM
:megaphone In lieu of seeing another post I thought I would share this once again...

Source:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

For the past few years, various carmakers have been offering blind-spot detection systems for their cars’ side mirrors. Often complex, these systems employ cameras or radar to scan the adjoining lanes for vehicles that may have disappeared from view.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published a paper in 1995 suggesting how outside mirrors could be adjusted to eliminate blind spots. The paper advocates adjusting the mirrors so far outward that the viewing angle of the side mirrors just overlaps that of the cabin’s rearview mirror. This can be disorienting for drivers used to seeing the flanks of their own car in the side mirrors. But when correctly positioned, the mirrors negate a car’s blind spots. This obviates the need to glance over your shoulder to safely change lanes as well as the need for an expensive blind-spot warning system.

The only problem is getting used to the SAE-recommended mirror positions. The cabin’s rearview mirror is used to keep an eye on what is coming up from behind, while the outside mirrors reflect the area outside the view of the inside rearview mirror.

Those who have switched to the SAE’s approach swear by it, however, some drivers can’t adjust to not using the outside mirrors to see directly behind the car and miss being able to see their own car in the side mirrors. To them we say, “Have fun filling out those accident reports.”

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/51/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots-graphic-photo-323365-s-original.jpg

I've used this practice since my awesome professional driving instructors and friends have taught me at an early age of driving. Not only have I had less instances of trying to occupy the same space and time as the car next to me, it has helped in making split second decisions on which way to panic swerve to safety. Without that split second saved compared to shoulder checking, that would have made the difference in a lot of damage to the car I was driving and the occupants, or no physical drama at all. Safe driving folks!

This is the technique that we teach to our students at our local chapter driving and Street Survival schools. Trevor, thanks for the reinforcement to all drivers. Not only I personally do this, but I go the extra by placing a small rectangular convex stickie on the right top corner of the driver side side mirrors that you can purchase at Auto Zone or anywhere else. This way I have two ways to avoid blind spots. But frankly, even with these techniques, I still do turn my head and look to see whenever I am merging into the freeways and at the same time changing into the fast lanes.

Rovert
02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Understood. Everyone has their own method to their madness. We all believe that it won't happen to us until something does and we need to change how we go about things to minimize the same occurrence in the future. Hopefully most will never have to run into situations like I have where gaining that split second saved me, my car, and innocent bystanders.

BTW I learned this method doesn't work so good when you need to cross two lanes quickly. A real time shoulder check seems to be needed for a double lane change as I experienced last month. LOL. Luckily the other vehicle involved had the fortune to be smarter and more aware than I was during that manoeuvre!

Crickett
02-25-2012, 07:42 PM
I cannot recommend this technique enough! Logically, it just makes so much sense to have 100% coverage (with a tad bit of overlap) between your rear view mirror, side view mirror, & peripheral vision. It doesn't work too well for parallel parking, but I just use my #3 seat & mirror memory for a tighter mirror setup.

terraphantm
02-25-2012, 08:42 PM
This. And with it set there, I can see the front of the car next to me in my peripheral vision while the car is still visible in the mirror. Literally. Zero. Blind. Spot.

This. It's much easier to change lanes with the euro mirrors. I don't understand why they're not legal here

kayger12
02-26-2012, 04:39 AM
I don't understand why they're not legal here

They're really illegal/unapproved? Some federal DOT regulation?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

328ioc
02-26-2012, 07:17 PM
I did this a while ago and it definitly took some geting used to but now I love it.

Magically sent from my Crack Berry tablet using tapatalk

Rovert
02-26-2012, 07:19 PM
If everybody used the famous Asian Broadway mirror or learned how to set their mirrors like this at the start, there'd no such thing as blindspots!

RITmusic2k
02-27-2012, 08:53 AM
FYI, to all of the respondents who mentioned wanting to stick to the narrow field-of-view so they can see their car - even with the wide arrangement, you can get the view you're used to by moving your head around in the cabin - leaning to the left or right (bringing your head closer to the window or the car's centerline while still looking forward) will give you that tight view if you feel the need to check it.

The real difference between these two methods is that you used to have to deviate from your normal driving position in order to see wide (which is the more important space to check during a lane change), but with the wide arrangement you can always see that area, and you only have to deviate from your normal driving position (to a much lesser - and therefore safer - extent, just leaning instead of turning around) to check the narrow along-the-car view, which is less important to know about.

This is one of those cases where doing it the new way is demonstrably safer - not doing it is consciously choosing to increase your risk while driving.

llll1l1ll
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
I've tried to get my girlfriend to use this setup, but she says it makes her feel unsafe.

Rovert
02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
It's a common human reaction of comfortable complacency. Common sense just needs to override an emotion that keeps one from doing the right thing. It goes along with everything in life. Positive change.

das boots
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I've tried to get my girlfriend to use this setup, but she says it makes her feel unsafe.

LOL....sounds like my wife. No matter how much I tried to ingrain her ways. The previous standard setup has now polluted her thinking. Bad habits are hard to break.

llll1l1ll
02-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Hahaha well I'm just glad that she at least tried to use it.

onepercent
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
I've been doing this for years, simply by experimenting with mirror position and finding that this method reduced the blind spot to almost nothing. I highly recommend it. You get used to not seeing your own car pretty quickly, and if you really want to see your own car you can still lean your body and get the angle.

Rovert
02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
You can tell if other drivers are doing it too. If you're in the "blind spot" you can still make eye to eye contact with them in their side mirror. If not, then all I see is the side of their car. So I make sure I have an exit point if they decide to do anything surprising.

RITmusic2k
02-29-2012, 04:57 PM
That's an awesome way to take it further, Trevor! Nothing beats situational awareness.

Rovert
02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Well...not that I do it with every vehicle pass! Mostly when I'm about to pass someone where there is no exit point because it's too narrow, I'll wait for things to open up if I can't see their eyes or downshift into a power gear to pass quickly which creates added exhaust sound so they hear before they see.

llll1l1ll
03-01-2012, 04:29 AM
I always play by the "If I can see them*, they can see me" rule when driving.

*Them meaning their eyes.

Cabrio330
03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Several years ago I switched to the no-blind-spot method of aligning my side view mirrors and I will admit that it took a few days to get used to it. But now I will never set my mirrors any other way.

The only drawback to this setup is when backing up in a tight area, I do like to see the sides of my car in the side mirrors. But I found a convenient solution: I saved my mirrors and seat settings in seat memory position #1. I then adjusted the mirrors to the old-fashioned down-the-side view and saved that setting in seat memory position #2. Now, each morning when I start to back out of my garage, I hit #2 and both mirrors (not just the right side) adjust perfectly so I don't hit my son's Tiburon. Once I start driving forward I just hit #1 and the mirrors are once again set for my highway lane changing adventure. The works for parallel parking, etc.

I wish BMW would allow us to set BOTH mirrors to a different alignment for when the car is in reverse, just like the right mirror dip-down feature already available, only more flexible. This would eliminate the need for even my brilliant (ha!) shortcut!

Rovert
03-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Everything has a drawback and advantage. I usually just tilt my head closer to the window on the drivers side. The passenger side takes care of itself with the reverse flip down although there are still times where I don't want to see the ground but what's behind my rear quarter panel! But since parking is a much less used task compared to driving, I'd rather be aware by default 97% of the time moving, than be aware by default 3% of the time squeezing into tight spaces.

RITmusic2k
03-02-2012, 09:16 AM
You can get your car-key memory settings adjusted at the dealer in such a way that you have total control over where the right mirror ends up. In its default reverse orientation, from my driving position it shows me the ground and nothing else. After I had my settings adjusted, I was able to make the mirror tilt down a little less than before, and sweep in until I could see my rear quarter panel.

The seat position trick is a nice alternative though :)