PDA

View Full Version : Considering trading the ZHP...

yura
02-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I bought my ZHP last spring and loved it since the moment I laid eyes on it. Sporty, tastefully modified, fantastic colour, and turns heads everywhere. I was planning on doing some track days, and since I worked from home for several years at that point and only drove a few times per week on the highway, I was set on a manual transmission.

Fast forward to today: I'm working for a company again and am commuting 45 minutes each way in stop & go rush hour traffic, have done zero track days on the car and will probably (realistically) not do a single one. As much as I love my ZHP, I've been lusting after a 4-door automatic vehicle for the last few months. Blasphemy, I know...

So I decided to put the car up for a "trade" on the local CL and e46f. I'm only looking to do either a straight vehicle-for-vehicle trade, or take a vehicle+cash for my ZHP. Of course, the ideal option would be to swap for another ZHP that's auto and 4 door, but the chances of that are slim to none. Realistically, I prefer a comfortable, quiet, luxurious ride over performance. However, I do value aesthetics and want the car to be clean, and if possible, look sporty.

The cars I'm interested in swapping for include:
- E38
- E39
- E46
- E90
- E60
- And a myriad of comparable Mercedes, Audi and Lexus models.

I've been getting varied offers of cars that I'm not too interested in (mid 90's 8-series, 2004 Acura TL, etc.), but yesterday got a few that may be possible candidates, and wanted to get your guys' opinions on pros/cons:

1. 2003 325XI
Steptronic
68,000km's
only one claim for $2000 rear ender
Silver Grey Metallic exterior/black interior
OEM Mtech 1 bumpers and M3 lip
17" Style 44 rims
Pics: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/img0983gm.jpg/

2. 2006 325i
2006 BMW 325i local with 155 km
black leather interior cd/ allowy wheel / 6 cylander 2.5 l
body kits
brand new tires
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/2855733863.html

The E46 has very low mileage (42k miles), clean, and likely in great condition. I'm not sure I want an XI, though. Extra traction is awesome, but the car will use more gas and with AWD there are more things that could go wrong and require maintenance. Looks-wise, it also doesn't do much for me. A bit boxy and dull IMO, but it's a solid car.

The E90 has the updated styling and new generation features - big plus (for me). Looks wise, it's a huge winner over that E46. But the mileage is up there - 155k km (96k miles), although it's not much more than what I've currently got on my ZHP (139k km / 86k miles).

I haven't seen either car in person and haven't discussed the specifics of the trade, but I'd want cash on top for both cars. How much will depend on the specific options, mechanical & cosmetic condition, etc.

Anyways, what does the family think?

az3579
02-19-2012, 11:57 AM
I'd get a 325 sport package, non xi.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

kayger12
02-19-2012, 12:06 PM
I'd get a 325 sport package, non xi.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

This.

What I had pre-ZHP. Great car.

If I was in you situation with that commute, I would have stayed with it and would still be driving it.

yura
02-19-2012, 12:13 PM
A 325i w/ the sport package would be great, but my issue is that I want to do a trade, not sell my car and buy another one, so finding the "right" car with a willing owner is a bit tricky. I'm not in any sort of rush, but still...

I just don't want to deal with the hassle of selling my vehicle, then being without a vehicle until I find a replacement. Plus, in that case I'd have to pay taxes on the money I received for my car ("income"), and then taxes on the car I'd buy. I'd easily lose a few thousand bucks. With a trade, no (or minimal) money is changing hands.

midlandtech
02-19-2012, 12:35 PM
I will echo the others. Is buying a cheap commuter car and keeping the ZHP as your toy/blow off steam car out of the question

yura
02-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I will echo the others. Is buying a cheap commuter car and keeping the ZHP as your toy/blow off steam car out of the question

No can do. No room or finances for two cars. I've got 2 motorcycles, a foldable trailer and my ZHP crammed into a single parking stall in my building!

midlandtech
02-19-2012, 01:47 PM
yikes... full house

trancenation
02-19-2012, 02:23 PM
If I was in your shoes, I would wait around until a nice 330 4 door auto zhp popped up. Even settle for a non zhp 330i 4 door is fine. I tend to see most people go from the 325 to 330 instead of vice versa. It's nice to have some extra punch laying lurking in the engine bay.

yura
02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
If I was in your shoes, I would wait around until a nice 330 4 door auto zhp popped up. Even settle for a non zhp 330i 4 door is fine. I tend to see most people go from the 325 to 330 instead of vice versa. It's nice to have some extra punch laying lurking in the engine bay.

That would be ideal, yes. Realistically, I'm not opposed to another coupe or convertible, as long as it's auto and in good shape.

I took a look at that white E90 just now. It's on a dealer lot, $12k asking price, rebuilt (salvage) title, fairly rough interior (tons of scuffs, dirt on headliner, etc.), and the salesman insists that it's worth more than my ZHP. Basically, waste of time all around. I did like the E90 interior though - quite nice, tons of room.

RVAzhp
02-19-2012, 04:15 PM
sell a bike. buy a honda civic and prosper.

i love driving my car to work and i'm counting down the months till i pay it off and get a beater truck to drive to work every day.

az3579
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Sounds like you're in a tough spot, and I think the smartest move would be to stick it out with the manual. The chances of finding a candidate for a straight trade is extremely small. If you can find someone, go for it, but you'll probably have to stick with what you have for a while.

I personally have never seen a straight trade happen before. It's always been a sell this buy that sort of affair. Good luck with your search...

yura
02-19-2012, 06:47 PM
sell a bike. buy a honda civic and prosper.

i love driving my car to work and i'm counting down the months till i pay it off and get a beater truck to drive to work every day.

I like to enjoy the vehicles I drive, so that knocks the civic off the list real quick!

Selling either of the bikes is also not happening. One is my dedicated track bike, and the other is a '79 CB400 that I'm building into a cafe racer. Bikes are my passion and are not going anywhere!

RVAzhp
02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
oh man, please post pictures of the Cafe racer! one day i'd like to build a bike, but that will wait till i'm older and more "mature". as far as driving 43 miles in a civic. i see your point, i just drove a 2003 civic up to DC and back and it certainly wasn't as enjoyable as the BMW...

yura
02-19-2012, 10:00 PM
oh man, please post pictures of the Cafe racer! one day i'd like to build a bike, but that will wait till i'm older and more "mature". as far as driving 43 miles in a civic. i see your point, i just drove a 2003 civic up to DC and back and it certainly wasn't as enjoyable as the BMW...

The cafe racer is very much a work in progress. The front wheel & forks are against a wall in my bedroom, the motor is in my closet, the frame is out getting powdercoated, and the rest of the bike is unevenly distributed between my second bedroom (office) and second (guest) bathroom. Give me a few months and I'll have it on the road! ;)

Sanded my gas tank today and found a few dents. Bondo'd them up, so I'll be sanding that again in a few days, then painting time.

But I'll give you a teaser pic of the front end after I spent some time on it:

http://i.imgur.com/iKNGK.jpg

prowlerflyer
02-20-2012, 06:40 AM
We had a tread a little while back called e90 impressions, I think and it talked a bit about them. I do think an e90 leans toward your likes, they are a bit bigger and softer, more luxurious.

A late production (02-03) e39 would also be a good fit. You can still work on them, they are easy to find, should be cheaper than your ZHP, and quite a bit more comfortable than the e46. Stick with the 525 & 530i, for reliability.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

M3TA5IN
02-20-2012, 06:48 AM
E90 ftw! :)

yura
02-20-2012, 08:10 AM
We had a tread a little while back called e90 impressions, I think and it talked a bit about them. I do think an e90 leans toward your likes, they are a bit bigger and softer, more luxurious.

A late production (02-03) e39 would also be a good fit. You can still work on them, they are easy to find, should be cheaper than your ZHP, and quite a bit more comfortable than the e46. Stick with the 525 & 530i, for reliability.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I do like the E39 - yum. Just need to find one that's clean and not "rollin' on 20's, yo."

bmwdriver
03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Not saying I will but would you consider trading for my zhp, its a 2005 Sedan and automatic with almost 90,000 miles.3637

UdubBadger
03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
cool thing about the e90 325i is you can swap the intake manifold and get tuned with 330i N52 software and make about 275hp.

Just wanted to throw it out there knowing it's an older thread.

yura
03-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I actually switched jobs recently and now take transit to the new location, so no more driving in traffic for me! I'm now enjoying stick a lot more (on the weekends!).

Not saying I will but would you consider trading for my zhp, its a 2005 Sedan and automatic with almost 90,000 miles.

I'd certainly consider it, yes. Where are you located?

SureShot434
03-31-2012, 04:19 PM
cool thing about the e90 325i is you can swap the intake manifold and get tuned with 330i N52 software and make about 275hp.

Just wanted to throw it out there knowing it's an older thread.

Haven't really looked into it...but I have a E46 325i...is there a manifold out there that I can get with a tune as well to boost hp?

bmwdriver
04-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I'd certainly consider it, yes. Where are you located?[/QUOTE]

South Carolina, where are you located that might be a problem if your too far?

webster
04-01-2012, 04:13 PM
his location says he's in vancouver, that's pretty far from SC

UdubBadger
04-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Haven't really looked into it...but I have a E46 325i...is there a manifold out there that I can get with a tune as well to boost hp?

no i don't think so - I only know of it working on the N52 motor

bmwdriver
04-02-2012, 01:31 PM
If you lived in the US I would have loved to trade, thats too bad I would prefer a six speed coupe because we have very little traffic.

Meric
04-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Just saw this thread. I would love to get a manual coupe with beatiful imola red. I also PM'd you. You know my car. Its auto 6 gears 112k on it. Recently replaced belts water pump will get new tires and rims. OEM Performance drilled brakes will be installed this month.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/3691/img1002f.jpg