PDA

View Full Version : Reminder to all: double check those blind spots

postitpad
02-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Thankfully nobody was hurt, ZHP will most likely just have to spend some time at the spa (I hope).
http://i.imgur.com/TNUkh.jpg

Ryans323i
02-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Sorry to hear/see. Glad you're ok. What did you hit, or what hit you?

danewilson77
02-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Sorry to hear/see. Glad you're ok. What did you hit, or what hit you?

Or what? Really!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

postitpad
02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
I was pulling into traffic after leaving a restaurant and I did the usual; check my mirror, look over the shoulder, pull out and bam! Face full of Prius. Don't know how I missed him coming up along side me, but I did. I had just received a nice compliment from the valet on my car not minute before, I was really sad.

But the important thing, is nobody got hurt. It should be fixable, and I have a rental car to get me where I need to be in the meantime.

postitpad
02-18-2012, 08:25 AM
The picture I posted doesn't properly show the damage, I honestly couldn't even bring myself to go over and look. My brother was happy to gawk however and took like a hundred pictures, so I'm sure the episode will be well documented.

RVAzhp
02-18-2012, 09:33 AM
i blame this entirely on the prius. such reckless cars.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Definitely a Prius issue here.

postitpad
02-18-2012, 10:16 AM
lol, thanks for the support guys!

Marcus-SanDiego
02-18-2012, 10:17 AM
I just call them like I see them.

The Prius was 100% at fault. :biggrin

Whitexi
02-18-2012, 10:23 AM
That sucks, it can be fixed though. I know what it like to not have the car. I just got mine back a week ago.

iZHP
02-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Damnit Prius! Come on...

You'll get it repaired. Don't worry! :)

az3579
02-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Prius' should have never been allowed to exist. To get hit by such a soul- and character-less car is such a shame.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

Nomar06
02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Oh damn.....that suck. Glad your ok.

postitpad
02-18-2012, 04:12 PM
The good thing is I had rental coverage so I am still mobile while my car is repaired. And, after driving my Malibu around for an afternoon, I know I will really appreciate getting my Bimmer back.

mimalmo
02-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Bummer. What's the liquid on the ground? Washer fluid or coolant?

postitpad
02-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Bummer. What's the liquid on the ground? Washer fluid or coolant?
Coolant, looks like the overflow bottle got crushed. I hope that doesn't also mean the performance intake I put in a few weeks ago is also crushed, I will find out in a few days.

brettbimmer
02-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Prius' should have never been allowed to exist. To get hit by such a soul- and character-less car is such a shame.

Haha, agreed!

Glad you are ok!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

postitpad
02-19-2012, 12:44 PM

My girlfriend and I were in Atlanta for a few days about a year and a half ago and our rental was 'upgraded' to a Prius. All we could talk about was that it must run on disappointment. I showed her this comment and she laughed pretty hard.

Hermes
02-19-2012, 12:55 PM
All we could talk about was that it must run on disappointment.

hahahahahahahaha... sorry to hear about your accident. You'll be back in your car soon enough and it will be nice and purrrty again

az3579
02-19-2012, 05:58 PM
All we could talk about was that it must run on disappointment. I showed her this comment and she laughed pretty hard.

She laughed because that's a pretty damned accurate statement. :)
So how much damage was there really?

postitpad
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
I just heard from the appraiser today, looks like I'm getting a fender, rim, hood, headlights, bumper and whatever else they find after they get the hood open. I will keep updating as I find out...

328ioc
02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Face full of Prius. Don't know how I missed him coming up along side me, but I did.

Easy, you didn't see it because you couldn't hear it. Stupid electric cars........

Glad no one was hurts though.

jayjay_dee
02-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Do you think the accident could have been avoided if you have these?

$164 for the set at ECSTuning.com

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/14342_x600.jpg

Dane started a very good thread here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6283-BMW-No-Blind-SpotMirrors-Win)

cakM3
02-24-2012, 05:17 AM
This is no joke....I almost had an accident because I did not see a van coming up on me when I merged onto the highway on my way to work last week. All I could see when I second checked my blind spot was a big white blur. Luckily I swerved back into the merge lane and avoided "touching" that rapidly speeding van....the bad part was that he could have moved over to the inside lane to allow people to merge into the traffic scheme.....hate that....

woke me up the rest of the trip to work.... glad to hear you are okay....hope your ZHP will be perfect again :thumbsup

GT172I
02-24-2012, 05:43 AM

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/14342_x600.jpg

Dane started a very good thread here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6283-BMW-No-Blind-SpotMirrors-Win)

Dammit, all these blind spot threads are pushing this higher and higher up my mod wish list. Saw zj96sc's in person yesterday and was impressed

postitpad
02-24-2012, 06:29 AM

Yea, I think those just might have saved me. The ironic part is that the morning of the accident, I almost bought a pair to install at the meet in May.

In other news, I got a call from the appraiser yesterday, they have doubled their initial estimate for time and money to repair and I am very close to having it totaled, it may still go either way I think. Turns out it will have to go to a frame shop to be pulled straight, I’m looking at around 11k worth of damage and a month to fix. I have a photo I can post when I get home from work tonight.

Ryans323i
02-24-2012, 06:40 AM
That's awful news! If it is totaled, will you be able to get another ZHP? If so, you might want to push the repairing shop to raise the cost. Straightening a frame is serious business. If not done correctly, the car will have issues forever.

Ryans323i
02-24-2012, 06:42 AM
This is no joke....I almost had an accident because I did not see a van coming up on me when I merged onto the highway on my way to work last week. All I could see when I second checked my blind spot was a big white blur. Luckily I swerved back into the merge lane and avoided "touching" that rapidly speeding van....the bad part was that he could have moved over to the inside lane to allow people to merge into the traffic scheme.....hate that....

woke me up the rest of the trip to work.... glad to hear you are okay....hope your ZHP will be perfect again :thumbsup

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people don't get over to let merging traffic on. Glad you did the double check!

cakM3
02-24-2012, 07:47 AM
I am too Ryan, otherwise I'd be going down to the reunion in my ///M

Ryans323i
02-24-2012, 09:54 AM
I know it's a ZHP meet, but I kinda want to see your ///M too! :eeps Can't you drive both. :p

Sorry OT/

danewilson77
02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I know it's a ZHP meet, but I kinda want to see your ///M too! :eeps Can't you drive both. :p

Sorry OT/

It's a BMW meet.

cakM3
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
@ Ryan :biggrin

aurelius
02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
This would be a good place to remind and or inform about the proper use of side mirrors:

At the very least, you should not be able to see your own car in either one of them. Angling away even more will further reduce blind spots.

It's a little disconcerting at first if you've had them set to "see yourself" for years and years. Nonetheless...true story.

static667
02-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Bummer about the fender bender. Too bad the Prius wasn't totaled. I hate those things.

Brought to you by sci-fi level technology and Tapatalk.

postitpad
02-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Bummer about the fender bender. Too bad the Prius wasn't totaled. I hate those things.

Brought to you by sci-fi level technology and Tapatalk.

I must admit I have no particular love for the car that is the Toyota Prius, but I honestly don't wish this one to be totalled out of concern for the nice couple that didn't want to be standing on the side of that particular road any more than I did.

I stopped at the body shop and snapped a picture...

http://i.imgur.com/sE3k5.jpg

the frame rails are bent over far enough to just about touch the alternator. The guys at the shop seem very confident in their ability to bring it back to like new condition, time will tell on that.

az3579
02-25-2012, 07:20 AM
I must admit I have no particular love for the car that is the Toyota Prius, but I honestly don't wish this one to be totalled out of concern for the nice couple that didn't want to be standing on the side of that particular road any more than I did.

I stopped at the body shop and snapped a picture...

http://i.imgur.com/sE3k5.jpg

the frame rails are bent over far enough to just about touch the alternator. The guys at the shop seem very confident in their ability to bring it back to like new condition, time will tell on that.

Frame rail damage = extremely no bueno...
The car will never be the same.

Hopefully it won't be bad.

postitpad
03-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey guys, while I have been waiting for my car to be fixed or totalled I figured I would take a 1 series for a test drive to see if I would like it as a replacement in case I end up having to do that (I'm thinking finding a similarly equipped ZHP is going to be very tough since verts in the northeast seem to be pretty rare). So I stopped by the local dealer and they had a 128 automatic for me to take for a drive. My question is, has anyone had any experience with the one series? I was very surprised by the lack of low end torque (at least compared to what I'm used to in the ZHP), it seems to really need some revs before it makes any power. Granted if I bought one it would be a 135 with a 6 speed, but that notwithstanding, it is a 3 liter 6 right? If I didn't know better I might think mistake it for a big four. Any thoughts?

az3579
03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
My thoughts on a One is that if it ain't got a turbo (or two), it ain't worth having.

Meric
03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
135 with twin turbo.. Your done.

postitpad
03-04-2012, 01:35 PM
And while I'm ranting, why would they move the window switches to the door? Switches on the center console are one of my favorite interior features...grr

postitpad
03-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Question guys, need your expert opinions on something. Since my car is scheduled to be back from the hospital in about a week, I am thinking I should do something nice for her when she gets home. Any parts I get I should order now so they are here in time.

A few things I have had in mind are: shark it, strut tower brace, euro tray; or something else I haven't thought of.

By the time I get it it will have been a month and a half, give or take, what would you guys do to celebrate?

danewilson77
03-24-2012, 10:59 AM
^All of the above.

johnrando
03-26-2012, 09:06 AM
More pics of your car before I can tell, but definitely a good sounding list, especially shark or something similar like Eurocharged.

postitpad
04-09-2012, 05:47 AM
Update: Still waiting on my car, I can't believe it's been almost two months (at this rate I am going to have to buy another bimmer to bring to sigfest :p). I did however pick up a shark and euro tray to celebrate with when I get it back. The strut brace I picked out was on backorder from turner so it will have to wait.

Ryans323i
04-09-2012, 06:13 AM
It has been forever. Sorry you're having to go so long w/out her. :( Jealous you got a shark though.

postitpad
04-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks Ryan, it certainly feels like forever. Should be in the home stretch though, I'm told it's back from the frame shop and I am just waiting for all the bolt on parts to arrive and be assembled.

postitpad
04-17-2012, 07:04 AM

I have been spending so much money on rental cars while I was for the bimmer to come home it occurred to me that I could just buy a cheap car. And so I did, I found a project car that I have wanted for years and could never justify. What do you guys think?

Ryans323i
04-17-2012, 07:08 AM
:thumbsup Miatas are fun!

midlandtech
04-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Do a LS7 swap and go hunting ferraris

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

postitpad
04-17-2012, 09:09 AM
That ls7 is a little pricy, I wonder if I could get away with keeping the stock clutch?

midlandtech
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
That ls7 is a little pricy, I wonder if I could get away with keeping the stock clutch?

I'm sure it would hold up for a launch or 2 =) I've always wanted to do a turbo engine or LS engine in a miata

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

postitpad
05-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Look who's home! I haven't even had a chance to put the summer tires back on her yet. So far I can't tell there was ever any damage, I will keep you guys updated.

Ryans323i
05-27-2012, 06:28 AM
So glad she's home! I can see you have a thing for 'verts!

kayger12
05-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Look who's home! I haven't even had a chance to put the summer tires back on her yet. So far I can't tell there was ever any damage, I will keep you guys updated.

Good deal. Glad she's all squared away.

I wish this was sent with a Galaxy S3

postitpad
05-28-2012, 01:31 AM
One more photo for good measure.

Ryans323i
05-28-2012, 06:32 AM
From the pictures, she looks as if nothing ever happened. Good deal!

postitpad
05-28-2012, 09:11 AM
So glad she's home! I can see you have a thing for 'verts!

Thanks! I certainly do, although, as an engineer, I prefer to think I have just built a little redundancy into my collection.

Ryans323i
05-28-2012, 09:19 AM
:)

johnrando
05-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks! I certainly do, although, as an engineer, I prefer to think I have just built a little redundancy into my collection.

:like. two vert garages FTW!

postitpad
11-16-2012, 05:08 PM
I haven't been on the site for a couple months, mostly out of frustration for dealing with the aftermath of the wreck that started this thread.

Basically, after I got the car back at the beginning of June, I put the summer tires on it. Once I had the summer tires on it, I noticed it wasn't tracking straight on the highway. In fact, if I got on the gas hard with the wheel dead straight I could steer it left or right using just the gas, not cool. Since it was recently aligned I thought it could be a bad steel belt in a rear tire. I took it to the local place I like to go for maintenance so they could inspect the repair, do some shit I had been putting off and investigate my pull.

They came back to me saying the alignment was out to lunch...so I took it back to the body shop.

Long story short, they replaced a strut, re-pulled the frame, sent it to a different body shop, replaced a control arm, re-re-pulled the frame, replaced the lower subframe...probably some other shit...and I picked it back up this afternoon. Nine months after my accident.

Wish me luck...at this point, no matter how it turns out, I may just trade it in on a BRZ.