PDA

View Full Version : OE Windshield

gr330zhp
02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Hey guys

I thought there may have been a thread on this somewhere, but I searched and didn't find anything. ZHP should be back out soon after I do some maintenance this weekend. Before I put it away in November, I had gotten a big rock chip in my windshield, about the size of a nickel. Didn't expand, but it will, and I wanted to replace the windshield anyway. I want to do OE BMW glass though.

Anyone have any idea what BMW would charge to install this? How long it would take as well? My car does not have the auto dimming rearview mirror. A friend said I should go through insurance, can I/is it worth it??? :dunno

Thanks guys

Johnmadd
02-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Buy the oem seal and trim for prospective installer or they will use generic material.

gr330zhp
02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Buy the oem seal and trim for prospective installer or they will use generic material.

Even BMW dealer??

Johnmadd
02-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Even BMW dealer??

They will do it right if that's who does it I would expect, I assumed safelite or other company and not dealership.

danewilson77
02-16-2012, 04:01 AM
I think I was quoted around $500.00 from BMW. I ended up going with Pilkington glass through Windshied Guru.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4839-Windshield-Guru-gt-Another-option-for-us&highlight=guru

Gasket thread

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5041-What-BMW-windshield-gasket-do-you-guys-have&highlight=windshield

gr330zhp
02-16-2012, 05:04 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm

cakM3
02-16-2012, 05:53 AM
In New England, I was quoted $700 for OE (no rain sensor)

Jorge86
02-16-2012, 05:53 AM
I ended up going with safelite aftermarket and it makes a lot of wind noise. It also broke with the first rock that hit it after 3 months. Now I have to replace it again. Next time I'm going to install BMW or Pinkerton but I really don't recommend safelite aftermarket.

Whitexi
02-16-2012, 08:26 AM
My dealer wanted 1,000 dollars for a new windshield. I have the rain sensor. Safelite charged 500.

For wherever you go if you have the rain sensor stress the fact that it MUST HAVE NO AIR BUBBLES...... I was told that mine didn't and it did.

I will be returning it for the warranty once spring hits it bothers me. I look at the car and see it instantly lol

danewilson77
02-16-2012, 10:37 AM
My dealer wanted 1,000 dollars for a new windshield. I have the rain sensor. Safelite charged 500.

For wherever you go if you have the rain sensor stress the fact that it MUST HAVE NO AIR BUBBLES...... I was told that mine didn't and it did.

I will be returning it for the warranty once spring hits it bothers me. I look at the car and see it instantly lol

You're talking about the mating point betwee the rearview mirror and window, correct? I have two bubbles......but does not seem to negatively affect the rain sensor.

Whitexi
02-17-2012, 03:06 PM
You're talking about the mating point betwee the rearview mirror and window, correct? I have two bubbles......but does not seem to negatively affect the rain sensor.

Yes the but im talking about where the Rain sensor gets stuck to the glass. My wipers and lights work as should but the wipers don't work as crisp as they should. Some times it reads perfect and the low to high speed adjusts accordingly and other days it seems the hardest amount of rain won't get the sensor to activate high speed.

I changed the sensor too with another I had and same thing.

johnrando
02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
As Dane pointed out, there is a thread with good discussion, including price points (I forget what I posted there), but my safelight glass has been fine.

gr330zhp
02-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Quoted today from Tulley BMW in Manchester, OE glass, seals and rain sensor + labor for a grand total of $536!

Pretty good deal I think :)

danewilson77
02-17-2012, 06:54 PM
As Dane pointed out, there is a thread with good discussion, including price points (I forget what I posted there), but my safelight glass has been fine.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4733-BMW-OEM-Windshield-or-Aftermarket-Windshield&highlight=Windshield

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Whitexi
02-18-2012, 11:06 AM
This thread makes me realize how much I hate all the dealers by me.

M3TA5IN
02-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Just an FYI. The dealer normally doesn't do windshield installs. They have safelite do it and just charge you more. You can have safelite do the install and use all OE parts. I did auto glass for 3 years and we always did all the dealer work in our area. The dealer just invoices the customer and we invoices the dealer.

Whitexi
02-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Maybe thats why, The dealer by me the one at least does glass them selves. Ive seen a few cars out front with new windshields and they would apply tape to the top part to the body.

The other one said they just bring in safelite lol.

M3TA5IN
02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe thats why, The dealer by me the one at least does glass them selves. Ive seen a few cars out front with new windshields and they would apply tape to the top part to the body.

The other one said they just bring in safelite lol.

Yea the tape is to hold the molding down for the first couple days.