PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky window seals

brettbimmer
01-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Just curious if anyone else is currently having, or has had any trouble with squeaking window seals, specifically in the last inch or so of travel when closing your windows? My car is always garaged (and was by her first owner too), and I have even tried lubricating the rubber and cleaning the glass (multiple times), but they scream in my ear for the last inch of travel to the fully closed position. I do have aftermarket tint, but I wouldn't think that this would cause the deafening squeak? Is there a miracle Würth product that I need to stop this? Ideas?

rikdee
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd continue experiments with various lubricating agents lest the problem is mechanical. Vinylex or Zymol Seal come to mind.

SoarinZHP
01-30-2012, 03:24 PM
A BMW mechanic suggested WD40... I have had very good luck with silicone lubricant. Some might say they are horrible and deteriorate this or that. However, I had an issue with my tint being too dark and it got peeled off the front windows to pass the inspection. That sucked. Anyway, it took forever to resolve the goo and squeaking at the top of the window seals. I used a combination of both. Now, both my windows go up and down at the same speed and the only thing that can be heard is the motor and the thhhhhp when the window engages with the top of the seal...

zj96sc
01-30-2012, 06:54 PM
BMW now uses carboflo, (Carbaflo KSP105. BMW P/N 83230309627, $38.78) for all seal maintenance and squeaky seal issues.

I used some on my insanely squeaky sedan and it resolved it immediately. pricey stuff but it works.

Johnmadd
01-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Maybe saturate the window with your chosen cleaner and "roll" your window up and down and see if that cleans the inner part of the seals, just a quick thought off the top.

johnrando
01-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Let me know what works. Mine used to squeal and for some reason, they stopped. Never did anything different.