PDA

View Full Version : How can a 2005 ZHP be CPO?

BRGcoopahS
01-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Im looking at an 05 ZHP and it says its certified pre-owned. Isn't CPO only 2 years extra on top of the 4 year BMW warranty? 2005+ 6 years=2011. Its 2012 now. Did the dealer mess up or am I missing something.

Deschodt
01-29-2012, 06:21 PM
I heard CPO starts on the day the car is "activated", which could mean the dealer punched its warranty start really late... So I suppose it's possible, but for just a few months ???

johnrando
01-29-2012, 06:31 PM
In theory it wouldn't be CPO... but, CPO is validated that everything has been checked out (they should provide you a checklist), and then extended warranty. A dealer could do the checklist and then add 2 years warranty themselves and therefore call it CPO I would think.

Crickett
01-29-2012, 06:32 PM
I think you're confusing "Certified Pre-Owned" certification with the BMW extended maintenance (warranty) program. AFAIK, BMW CPO doesn't have an expiration . . .

Hermes
01-29-2012, 06:33 PM
CPO means they have brought it back to "spec" - not necessarily factory spec, but close. Basically they do a complete inspection and make sure all major systems, plus many minor things, are in good working order. The warranty itself (IIRC) is 2 years/50k from the date when it was certified. It has nothing to do with expiration of original warranty. Hell, you could technically buy an E38 CPO but it would probably cost a ton for the dealer to have it pass the inspection, that's why you don't usually see older cars listed as CPO

johnrando
01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I think you're confusing "Certified Pre-Owned" certification with the BMW extended maintenance (warranty) program. AFAIK, BMW CPO doesn't have an expiration . . .

Well, officially it's the extended warranty that expires, but the "lingo" I hear at the dealer they say "when is your CPO expiring?"

Hermes
01-29-2012, 06:38 PM

Kinda correct, they are two separate programs but CPO's warranty has an expiration date

BRGcoopahS
01-29-2012, 06:48 PM
ahhh I see, didnt know CPO was an inspection also and not necessarily a warranty. So Basically it doesn't have a warranty and the dealer just did all of the proper maintenance before selling it. Still pretty good.

edit: oh and what does AFAIK stand for?

danewilson77
01-29-2012, 06:49 PM
ahhh I see, didnt know CPO was an inspection also and not necessarily a warranty. So Basically it doesn't have a warranty and the dealer just did all of the proper maintenance before selling it. Still pretty good.

edit: oh and what does AFAIK stand for?

Yes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hermes
01-29-2012, 06:57 PM
AFAIK - as far as I know

here is the full description from BMW NA - http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Warranty/Default.aspx

here is a basic description:

To be eligible for enrollment in the Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Program, a late-model vehicle must be in service for at least six months or have more than 6,000 miles but less than 60,000 miles on the odometer. They must pass an extensive examination – a thorough and rigorous inspection by BMW factory-trained technicians. They inspect the vehicle for safety, performance and wear. If something is not right, it is fixed. If it cannot be fixed, the car cannot become a Certified Pre-Owned BMW. Important: Although the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty is extremely comprehensive, it is not an extension of the original 4-year/50,000 mile New BMW Vehicle Limited Warranty.

az3579
01-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Although the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty is extremely comprehensive, it is not an extension of the original 4-year/50,000 mile New BMW Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Funny that it says that, because my car was warrantied for 6 total years / 100k miles through CPO.
Factory warranty is 4yrs/50k miles. CPO extends the total warranty coverage to 6yrs/100k miles from original in-service date. This has been the case for every car that I looked at that was Certified Pre-Owned. Not sure where this "CPO is not an extension of warranty" stuff comes from...

Could somebody explain to me why this is the case if it's not really an extension? I'm confused.

EDIT:
I now know what that statement says. It isn't an extension, as it stated, of the 4yr/50k mile warranty. Instead, it's a separate warranty on top of the original New Vehicle warranty. It extends the coverage for 2 additional years, up to 100k, hence the $50 deductible for them to fix anything that goes wrong.

I'll tell ya, that $50 was the most expensive window switch I ever purchased. :shifty
(I had no idea they charged $50 for CPO work, otherwise I would have just bought a damn window switch on eBay for half the price...)

Hermes
01-30-2012, 05:53 PM
BP, that was a copy/paste I found somewhere. I actually almost bought a CPO ZHP when I was looking for mine. The CPO had around 55k miles and was a 2004, mine had 30k and a 2005... so I still had the new car warranty. Funny thing, my car was actually cheaper than the CPO one. Some dealers just don't make sense to me. Had I bought the CPO I think I would have definitely rolled through the years before the miles part of the warranty

az3579
01-30-2012, 06:12 PM
BP, that was a copy/paste I found somewhere. I actually almost bought a CPO ZHP when I was looking for mine. The CPO had around 55k miles and was a 2004, mine had 30k and a 2005... so I still had the new car warranty. Funny thing, my car was actually cheaper than the CPO one. Some dealers just don't make sense to me. Had I bought the CPO I think I would have definitely rolled through the years before the miles part of the warranty

You did good, JP. :thumbup

Hermes
01-30-2012, 06:21 PM
http://tl.bestpicturesof.com/i/1522460

derbo
01-31-2012, 11:27 PM
CPO is an extends to 6 year/100k from the existing retail date of the car. It is an additional 2yr/50k on top of the 4yr/50k from the new car warranty. However, CPO doesn't cover alot of things. It mainly covers the main components like internal engine, transmission for a small handling fee of $50 per visit. I replaced all my window regulators under CPO warranty for $50. CPO sometimes isn't worth it but I made good use of it on my regulators and SES lights.

Our warranty has broad coverage that includes: engine, automatic/manual transmission, final-drive assembly, steering, hydraulic brake parts, anti-lock braking system, electrical, air conditioning/heating system, cooling system and fuel system.

BMWUSA has a list of what is not covered:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Warranty2.aspx

What is not covered:

Upkeep Items
Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

Wear and use
All wear-and-use items as defined in ''The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program Consumer Information Statement'' for Certified Pre-Owned BMWs (including all suspension parts and components).

Body and interior
Paint; glass; headlights; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Accessories
Radio/CD (or cassette) player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, DVD player or any components of those systems, plus non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.

titaniumair
02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
To the OP....it's technically possible that the car is still covered under the CPO warranty as it's based on when the car originally went into service. For example, even though the car is an '05 it may have sat on a dealer's lot unsold until say 07/2006. In this case, assuming the car still has under 100k miles, the CPO warranty would be good 'till 07/2012. If you run a carfax report you'll be able to see the in-service date.

iZHP
02-02-2012, 04:54 AM
Some good info here! I was curious about the different types of warranties. My car isn't covered anymore (CPO, Rust...) but my mom's car was when we bought it. 1999 540i M Sport 6MT (first sport model). 50,xxx miles with the CPO warranty till 100k; and man did she need it.

Johnny330zhp
02-02-2012, 07:53 AM
yo know if it was a demo car for a salesmen then It wasn't titled there for its tech still a new car. so usually most dealerships demo a car no more then 30k miles then put it up for sale. this could be the reason it was titled later on??

BRGcoopahS
02-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Some good info here! I was curious about the different types of warranties. My car isn't covered anymore (CPO, Rust...) but my mom's car was when we bought it. 1999 540i M Sport 6MT (first sport model). 50,xxx miles with the CPO warranty till 100k; and man did she need it.

your mom has a 1999 540i and it has the CPO warranty?

edit: nvm

derbo
02-05-2012, 11:34 PM
yo know if it was a demo car for a salesmen then It wasn't titled there for its tech still a new car. so usually most dealerships demo a car no more then 30k miles then put it up for sale. this could be the reason it was titled later on??

even though it has not been titled. The in service date according to BMWNA is when the car is started to be driven. So factory executive vehicles will have in service dates before the first purchase sometimes.