PDA

View Full Version : Another Use for Iron-X By Car-Pro- Corrosion on Hubs/Any Car Parts

zhp43867
01-29-2012, 07:56 AM
So I know this is my second thread on this cleaner, but I have found a very valuable second use for this detailing product.

It is called Iron X and is made to break the chemical bond between Iron and our paint/wheels. I posted a thread on how it works with brake dust- and doesn't effect anything else.

So on to the new use...

I bought my new zhp as a couple of you know, and when I picked it up the rear driver side tire was sitting at under 10psi. :gun1 Luckily I checked all the tires at the gas station around a quarter mile from the owners house, and the tires were safely inflated for the drive home on the NJTP.

The car has been sitting in my garage for a week and the tire went totally flat (screw in the tire I just found out). I jacked it up and tried to pull the wheel off and it was totally jammed on- as is what happens when you don't grease the hub-ring. I don't think the wheel had been removed since the last tire/brake job- around 20k miles ago.

I tried penetrating oil through the spokes on the hub (yes I cleaned the rotor!) and I used a mallet on both sides of the wheel/tire to try to shock the wheel into letting it go. I got my father to try and help- and we're both big guys- 6' 5" ~250lbs, and the darn wheel just wouldn't come off.

As we sat there scratching our heads I thought of what I might have in my arsenal that could help, and I realized that Iron X is meant to remove a similar kind of corrosion from paint!

I sprayed it on through the lug holes and on the hub, and it instantly turned purple, meaning it was dissolving iron bonds. About 5 minutes later a few thwacks with the mallet on the tire and the wheel pulled off- a pile of purple juice lying on the cardboard I put under the wheel.

So anyway- if any part of your brakes/wheel/hub combo is stuck from corrosion, or anything under the car like sway Bar/CAB bolts or exhaust bolts are stuck, this could be a much more effective and more benign alternative to PB Blaster and WD-40!

Cliff Notes: Iron-X un-siezed my rear wheel from its hub, where penetrating oil would not.

Detailers Domain sells a similar product and Detailed Image carries Iron-X

It is safe on paint and everything, smells like rotten eggs and looks like this:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/pyiu/1st%20gen%20iphone%208gb/2006sti/IMG_9345.jpg

After wiping off the product, it will basically dissolve any of that unsightly brown/orange rust that may be on your rear wheel bearing cap/hub area.

danewilson77
01-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks Derek. Definetely a good tool to have in the arsenal.

zhp43867
01-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Yeah I agree, I will try and post up some pictures of the process on the next wheel I do. I'm sure they are all frozen.

johnrando
01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Nice. This doesn't hurt the wheels?

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 04:27 AM

Isn't washing the car, the purpose of the product? I would think if it didn't hurt the car, it would be safe on wheels?

M0nk3y
01-31-2012, 07:18 AM

No, it won't.

You're attacking the iron ontop of the wheel and paint, that's what its reacting with.

Not to mention its organic.

Sent using satellite technology

midlandtech
01-31-2012, 07:54 AM
Must acquire this magical solution

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk